• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2011)

Doopliss

51k1hKtjogL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-49,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

I read A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan a few weeks ago but I thought I'd post about it since it's currently the Kindle UK deal of the day (£1.29). It tells snippets of story of a bunch of interconnected characters of different ages, stages of their careers and success levels (and, uh, mental health), but despite that it's successful at making all of them relatable. Each chapter takes a different writing style and focuses on a different character at a pivotal point in their life, which I found made it easy to breeze through. It's very moving at times, often from the main story of a chapter, but there are also poignant moments when a character you've already met shows up in a minor role and your knowledge of what they've been through or will in future go through (it's non-linear) is given a different perspective from just a small amount of information.

So yeah, it's good, people should read it.

Also recently read:
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (I think we did it in school, but I hated english classes and paid zero attention). I was quite disappointed by it. I felt zero sympathy for Dr Jekyll and his problem, and there's really nothing else in the book to latch onto.
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen - This was great. The duplicity and boorishness of Catherine's contemporaries in Bath, and her naivete towards them provided a lot of humour. The sincerity of Catherine's fears and worries overcame their fanciful nature to make them feel acute and exciting.

I'm currently reading The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris, inspired by the discussion about scary books earlier in the topic. So far (about a third in) it's been tense and creepy, and had moments of great unpleasantness. But not frightening. It's a good page-turner although it feels a bit artificial sometimes.

thomaser

Karakand said:
Sounds pretty bad.

The blurb might make it seem like just another Dan Brown-alike, but do you know who Umberto Eco is? He's a genius. Basically one of the world's foremost experts on linguistics, semiotics, literature AND history, and is probably the most knowledgeable person alive on some of the topics in this book (secret societies, conspiracies, the Priory of Sion and so on). Luckily for us, he doesn't just write scholarly articles about these subjects - he takes all that vast knowledge and writes great novels about them. His best known novel is "The Name of the Rose", which deals with some of the same topics. So does "Foucault's Pendulum", which is one of the most mind-blowing and difficult books I have read.

Now, I have not yet read The Prague Cemetary, so who knows. But it's in my bookshelf. And I really, really doubt it's going to be bad.

Quake1028

DarkChronic said:
Any more impressions on King's new book? The premise sounds pretty
awesome and from what I've been hearing, initial reviews have been positive.

It's phenomenal. Best book I've read this year.

thomaser

Cyan said:
I have this sneaking suspicion that Kara knows exactly who Umberto Eco is. :p

Oh, good. But then he should know better! Can't wait to read The Prague Cemetary myself, but the problem is I must wait to read it. Sometime next year, hopefully.

"A Wild Sheep Chase" followed by "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" after that I start my journey with Joyce. First up "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" and "Dubliners" also yes "Ulysses" and "Finnagens Wake" will be read also.

Fjordson

I'm slowly making progress through the Parker novels so I can't speak to the series as a whole, but with the first five under my belt I can absolutely say that they're completely amazing so far and, based on everything else I've ever read by Donald Westlake, I don't expect that to change at all. You've got some incredible reading waiting for you.
Glad to hear it! Already almost done with this first one, but I love it. The atmosphere is so brutal and the pacing is so quick. Hard to put it down because it never lets up.

Very refreshing compared to all of the epic, sprawling books that I've read this year.

Mumei

I finished Latro in the Mist, and I read the first six volumes of the Pokemon Adventures manga... It really is a wonderful interpretation of the universe. It's too bad that the anime went the route that it did.

As far as books go, I started reading The Once and Future King, and I have just finished the Queen of Air and Darkness.

10880805.jpg

Monocle

FinishedNow Reading

40992.jpg

Around 160 pages into "Shadow of the torturer" - and it's absolutely incredible so far, really looking forward to reading the entire series front-to-back in the next 2 weeks.
Make sure to check out Urth of the New Sun if you didn't already intend to. It's a magnificent payoff to the first four books. There are some seriously mind-wrenching, pants-tightening twists that have profound implications for every step of Severian's journey. Urth will give you such a radical new perspective on the series that you'll be tempted to reread the whole thing immediately.

putarorex

Reading Deadhouse Gates in the Malazan series.

I read Gardens of the Moon a year ago and put it down after only reading a third of it. Erikson's writing style was pretty frustrating. I kept wondering if I had bought the right book since the lack of explanations made me think it was one later in the series. Sometimes I would have to reread a few pages just to make sure I was following what was going on. I picked it back up a few weeks ago and read through to the end. It got much easier the more I got through it (I admit I checked some Malazan wiki sites a few times).

Now that I understand the world better, I am really digging the Deadhouse Gates. I am actually looking forward to my 50 minute train home each day so I get a few more chapters in. Is the rest of the series just as good? I bought the first four books a year back when I heard good things about it.

icUTF.jpg

I'm a total sucker for the Byronic hero and the gothic novel and i keep rereading this book every year because its just so damn good.

The Man in the High Castle - Philip. K. Dick

Totally engrossed so far, my first Dick novel.

I just added to that to my Christmas list. Anyone catch that Prophets of Sci-Fi show about him that was on the other night? He was apparently a paranoid schizophrenic who was occasionally delusional from drug abuse. Who knew? I always pictured sci-fi authors as straight laced type guys .. I guess thanks to those classic pictures of Asimov w/ his mutton chops and pipe.

Mumei

Finished The Once and Future King. T.H. White sure likes his emotionally manipulative melodrama. Jerk.

:(

I really loved it, though. Parts of it, especially in The Sword in the Stone, reminded me of The Last Unicorn. It was something about the narrative style and the humorous anachronisms, I think.

Reading The Hunger Games next.

2767052.jpg

The Man in the High Castle - Philip. K. Dick

Totally engrossed so far, my first Dick novel.

I read that not too long ago. I enjoyed it, though it took me awhile to realize that the
disparate plots weren't culminating towards something bigger in the way I was expecting early on.

Currently reading All Men Are Mortal as an assignment for one of my classes. Despite having to write a paper about it, I've actually begun to really enjoy the book. Also, about to begin reading Atlas Shrugged. I've heard interesting things about it, so I'm going to give it a try myself.

thomaser

Despite having to write a paper about it, I've actually begun to really enjoy the book.

I usually tend to enjoy texts more if I write papers about them. Just recently, I wrote a paper about Beckett's play "Krapp's Last Tape". It's indescribably dull if you just read through it once, but spend some time trying to analyze it and it becomes amazing.

Reading Deadhouse Gates in the Malazan series.

I read Gardens of the Moon a year ago and put it down after only reading a third of it. Erikson's writing style was pretty frustrating. I kept wondering if I had bought the right book since the lack of explanations made me think it was one later in the series. Sometimes I would have to reread a few pages just to make sure I was following what was going on. I picked it back up a few weeks ago and read through to the end. It got much easier the more I got through it (I admit I checked some Malazan wiki sites a few times).

Now that I understand the world better, I am really digging the Deadhouse Gates. I am actually looking forward to my 50 minute train home each day so I get a few more chapters in. Is the rest of the series just as good? I bought the first four books a year back when I heard good things about it.

If you like a series that goes somewhere, no. I got 6? books in, and had to just stop, it got so bad.

Also, about to begin reading Atlas Shrugged. I've heard interesting things about it, so I'm going to give it a try myself.
Its an interesting book because it has many uses, like you can use it to set a cup of coffee on it, or swat a mosquito with it, or burn it in the fireplace, or use it as emergency toilet paper.

1zw2ogn.jpg

Very awesome. So much so that I bought the sequel the day I finished it (luckily found it at a Half Price Books) and bought the rest of the series a day or two later online.

mw76n4.jpg

Halfway through and it's great as well.

I heartily recommend Scalzi. The Old Man series is fantastic, and Agent to the Stars and The Android's Dream are very good as well.

AAequal

Banned
Not reading this, but I just got it in the post today. Isn't it beautiful? It's the limited Foyles edition with red page lining.

n4z1vr.jpg

My backlog is so large that I won't get to this until next summer at the earliest. It can look cool in my bookself in the mean time.

Books 1&2 for me, not sure if I'm going to bother with the third book. This is all to similar to Murakami's other major works. He needs to change some of his formulas or at least come up with different characters now and then. It's not his worse but this is just way too "safe", basically it's Kafka on the Shore but with new plot, Murakami needs a good shake up and make something entairly new or go back to his older style for awhile.

chixdiggit

I just read A Clockwork Orange for the first time. It was really hard to get into at first because the whole book uses a made up language/slang called Nadsat. Luckily the book had a glossary of terms and all that cal. It soon stuck in my gulliver and I could read it real horror show.

Books 1&2 for me, not sure if I'm going to bother with the third book. This is all to similar to Murakami's other major works. He needs to change some of his formulas or at least come up with different characters now and then. It's not his worse but this is just way too "safe", basically it's Kafka on the Shore but with new plot, Murakami needs a good shake up and make something entairly new or go back to his older style for awhile.

That's pretty much how I feel about most of his works. It's just the same story with the same characters but a different setting. And since his characters annoy me, I haven't enjoyed much by him.

Finished this quick read for the weekend.

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Not my first choice of what to read, but I mainly read it as "research" for work since it's one of the more popular books that have been nominated for The Goodreads Choice Awards.

It was mediocre. The writing was bland and heavy-handed and the plot was predictable. I could see teens who have never read a dystopian novel enjoying this, but there are too many good ones out there for me to recommend this one.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
tumblr_l8uj8kubIR1qz6f9yo1_500.jpg

It gives some really good insights on game design

One of very few books I started but didn't finish. Just got sick of all the "Video games are so amazing! They can do anything! They're better than everything else on earth without question! If only everybody else was so enlightened!"

Got in the way of the good ideas for me.

Just read Alloy of Law after rereading the Mistborn trilogy.

To be honest, I was a little disappointed, considering I enjoyed Way of Kings a lot.

Corto Maltese

Neo Member
TheShadowOfTheWind.jpg

I have just finished this book, it is so amazing. It is a thriller but carlos ruiz through the black days of Barcelona wrote something lovely,misery and breathtaking.

Now i jumped on Depeche Mode autobiografy. Did anyone of you read Emir Kusturica book?

Zalasta

Is the rest of the series just as good? I bought the first four books a year back when I heard good things about it.

The only real dud for me is book 8 (so far), Toll of Hound. Hated the pov and the change in style. It was a chore to get through it.

As for the others, I enjoyed them to a various degree, more so when the book was focused on people I liked. Memories of Ice remains my favorite.

Goodreads keeps recommending this one to me (I guess based on my Hunger Games love?). Sounds like I can skip it!

Yeah, skip it. Divergence is dystopian like Hunger Games and features a female lead character, but it's not as well written and the plot is not as good. I can see how it appeals to younger readers who also liked Hunger Games, but it just feels very dumbed down. Also, when I read it, I felt like the author very much wanted a movie deal.

Danielsan

TheShadowOfTheWind.jpg

I have just finished this book, it is so amazing. It is a thriller but carlos ruiz through the black days of Barcelona wrote something lovely,misery and breathtaking.

Now i jumped on Depeche Mode autobiografy. Did anyone of you read Emir Kusturica book?
I just finished this (15 minutes ago to be exact) as well.
Such an amazing book. I read the last 200+ pages today. I simply could not put it down.

Not sure which book I will pick up next. Perhaps Murakami's Hard Boiled Wonderland.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I just finished this (15 minutes ago to be exact) as well.
Such an amazing book. I read the last 200+ pages today. I simply could not put it down.

Not sure which book I will pick up next. Perhaps Murakami's Hard Boiled Wonderland.

TheShadowOfTheWind.jpg

You guys are in luck. The prequel, The Angel's Game is decent, but the really exciting news is that Zafon's next novel will be a direct sequel to The Shadow of the Wind, starring Daniel and Fermin. It's called The Prisoner of Heaven. You can find out more about it HERE.

Corto Maltese

Neo Member
You guys are in luck. The prequel, The Angel's Game is decent, but the really exciting news is that Zafon's next novel will be a direct sequel to The Shadow of the Wind, starring Daniel and Fermin. It's called The Prisoner of Heaven. You can find out more about it HERE.

Ah, this post made my day. I'm so happy because ' the shadow of the wind' was a story for me that can't be continued but Zafor is going to continue this story with two great characters from previously book. Great!

Sleepy

reading Chronic City by Jonathan Lethem. everyone must read this book. i'm not even going to tell you why, just do it.

Really enjoyed this book. I need to reread it, maybe during winter break. Tell us why!

Reading this:

51dCcrwRK6L._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA115_.jpg

I need to brush up on my semiotics; I don't think this was the best place to start...

Kuraudo

Banned
112263lge.jpg

Gave into the hype and started 11.22.63 (yesterday, aptly enough) despite having too many other books on the go. Only read the first part so far, but it's absolutely wonderful. Really nice pace and narration. Feels like King's just having a lot of fun with this concept - love how he handles the grandfather paradox.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
112263lge.jpg

Gave into the hype and started 11.22.63 (yesterday, aptly enough) despite having too many other books on the go. Only read the first part so far, but it's absolutely wonderful. Really nice pace and narration. Feels like King's just having a lot of fun with this concept - love how he handles the grandfather paradox.

We are sort of discussing it here - Stephen King is nominated for the worst depiction of a sex scene

But there is a spoiler, beware.

Pau

Got a long bus ride tomorrow so I'm bringing this to keep me entertained. I've never read anything by Chabon, but a professor said it was one of the best books she's read in recent years, and I do love my comics, so I'm coming in with a lot of expectations.

Vxokz.jpg

Apparently this came out in Spain already! Thanks for the heads up! Didn't even know Zafón was writing a sequel. Now to find the cheapest way to get a copy...

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just finished this earlier tonight:

KSYE5.jpg

It was good, but a lot of it was redundant and kind of common sense, and his ideas for how to deal with a highly automated workforce didn't seem all too fleshed out. He makes a compelling case though and it's an easy read.

Started this:

EMdbu.jpg

.:Sam:.

Neo Member
I am reading Clash of Kings; A very good read and part of a series which a lot of gaffers are currently reading, if I am not mistaken.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

for me as well. As always, immediately good. expecting him to end it horribly like he does with most books. Can't hate him for that though, the man can't really write good endings. Man he can do 95% of awesome EVERY TIME though.

Following up with
512UVPBQPKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

loved the mistborn trilogy so this was a must buy for me. Mildly concerned though, because it sounds like the characters are all nerfed with regards to abilities and the magic system was great in the mistborn trilogy.

Number45

Finished reading this yesterday:

516Hw8yrN2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-47,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Which I enjoyed. Never read any Sherlock Holmes before and I'm genuinely amazed after reading this how true to the source material the recent BBC series was. :)

Starting this today:

51054lllFKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-47,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Loving the free classics at the moment.

Top Bottom