• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2013)

It's great

I was surprised how quickly I got into it. I'm trying not to get too far so I don't end up forgetting Carrion Comfort. I did get a little spoiled on one aspect, but I'm not sure how big of a spoiler it will end up really being. If that makes sense?

ChopstickNinja

Neo Member
After listening to the Tested Octoberkast segment with Veronica Belmont I decided to pick up Wool by Hugh Howey
wool-by-hugh-howey.jpg

I also might read Ender's Game really quick before seeing the movie.

hythloday

2E6HzSo.jpg

Historical fiction about Vlad Dracula (aka "Vlad the Impaler.") The actual one, not the Bram Stoker version.

About 2/3 of the way through, and I'm enjoying it.

I'm also midway through The Terror, which got linked in the October thread, but I put it down to read this one. I'll probably go back to it when I'm done.

arkon

Fitting follow-up to the last post, I guess:

http://imgur.com/XsSCkap.jpg[IMG]

I really, REALLY enjoyed it when it was mostly a noirish detective story taking place both in space and on a station, but I'm a little weary of the introduction of what I assume is the "leviathan". I'm at the end of it and [B]I have the rest of the trilogy on my shelf [/B]already, so we'll see how it goes. I still have hope that they can convince me with what they have planned for all of the shit going on right now.

Wish I had a picture but, damn it, why did the publisher change the sizing format for the third book? It's like an inch taller and wider and looks so stupid on my shelf. Or did I order the wrong kind of paperback? I'm not used to ordering physical books online so it's the first time I've had this happen.[/QUOTE]

It's not a trilogy. There are three more novels planned plus a number of novellas (which may well just be sidestories). I think they're writing the fifth novel now.

Also you probably ordered the wrong kind. I just checked my copies of books two and three. They line up just fine. Couldn't find my copy of book one but I don't remember it being wildly different to book two in terms of the dimensions.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I was surprised how quickly I got into it. I'm trying not to get too far so I don't end up forgetting Carrion Comfort. I did get a little spoiled on one aspect, but I'm not sure how big of a spoiler it will end up really being. If that makes sense?

Dont worry of spoilers
Just enjoy

FnordChan

Now I'm gonna start the following:

9780316133302.jpg

I've only read a couple of Duane Swierczynski novels, The Wheel Man and Severance Package, but I enjoyed them both quite a bit. I'd like to hear what you thought of Point and Shoot when you're done. Or, since Wikipedia tells me it's part of a trilogy, how you liked Fun and Games and/or Hell and Gone.

51R5z6UKSeL.jpg

I wrapped up Anno Dracula: Johnny Alucard by Kim Newman just before Halloween and, as expected, thought it was great. As I mentioned last month, the catch here is that Dracula popularized vampirism on a widespread scale during the Victorian era and the series looks at the effects of mainstream vampires on society over the course of different eras, all with fictional and historical characters completely intertwined into the plot. With Johnny Alucard we get to see vampires becoming increasingly active in America from 1976 through 1991, kicking off with Francis Ford Copolla's production of Dracula, ending with a huge Hollywood blockbuster, and exploring a variety of cultural touchstones in between.

I didn't realize until after I'd finished the book that it was a fix-up of several earlier short stories and novellas, but it all comes together to work as a novel very nicely: it's great fun seeing what he chooses to explore with the timeline and each section furthers the plot very nicely. More importantly, the time period lets Newman unleash his encyclopedic knowledge of film by incorporating a dizzying number of characters from film, television, novels, and comics. Thankfully, the internet came through with annotations that I could turn to when I'd finished the book, though it was always more fun when I could pick up on the references myself; I think my favorite moment of recognition was when I realized Ms. 45 would be making an appearance. All of this is to say that Johnny Alucard was a terrific read and that I'd recommend it and the Anno Dracula series to anyone with an interest in vampires, horror cinema, or the sort of fiction that borrows other characters, such as the Flashman novels or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

51IjVBjCHYL.jpg

I'm currently reading The Last President by John Barnes, the third novel in his Daybreak series. This was originally going to be the third novel in his Daybreak trilogy, but apparently it's going to be open to self-published sequels going forward, so we'll see how that turns out. The concept here is that radical eco-terrorists unleashed a nanotechnological plague that was tailor made to destroy modern civilization by attacking plastic, rubber, petroleum products, and conductors for electricity. Cue things becoming apocalyptic in a hurry, civilization trying to re-build, and things becoming increasingly complicated in ways that I probably shouldn't spoil here. This is a somewhat cozy apocalypse, where you get to wonder how screwed you would be if things abruptly reverted to a mid-19th Century tech level, while Barnes shows different factions trying to rebuild the United States of America. I liked the first two novels just fine as light post-apocalyptic fiction and am enjoying the third book so far, though I'm busy trying to remember who's who among all the characters we're being introduced to. Hopefully I'll be up to speed shortly and can tear through this fairly quickly.

FnordChan

Mr.Swag

Banned
I'm halfway through the hitchhikers and both Ford and Arthur read like the same character. Kind of annoying.

NekoFever

I'm 58% of the way through Gone Girl. There are some real rug-pulling moments in there. Can't wait to see the movie.

Incidentally, this is my 39th book of the year and I set myself a target of 40. I'm not doing a challenge like that again, though, just because it turns reading into a production line.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I didn't set myself a reading target for the year, but since getting my kindle last Christmas I've read around 14 books, which is my highest number in a year yet.

Gonna try for 20 at the end.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Damn, erybody's gettin scalped. I remember reading that they were making a movie from this book. I have no idea how that would work. That movie would be more gory than Natural Born Killers.

Also, thanks to Cormac McCarthy I feel like I now know exactly what every mountain, river, tree, pebble, as well as every possible sunrise and sunset in Mexico look like.

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy is so stupid dumb. Reads like dr Seuss lol

I didn't like it either. Very "precious" humor. I like some of the jokes. I like the Universe in general. I tend to not like the "Oh look at how precious/cute/funny that is. Isn't that precious/cute/funny?"

ed

Not doing Blood Meridian anymore. Doing Child of God now, which is probably even more difficult to adapt.

faridmon

Devotion_of_suspect_x_.jpg

I am halfway through it and I am enjoying it. Its written in a clear and simple way while at the sametime, have the intensity because of depth of its plot,

East Lake

I didn't like it either Swag. I'm with ya. After a while I felt everybody has a funny name and nothing is funny. And there's only so many jokes you can pull out of limp characters wanting to do something other than save the universe.

About halfway through Cities of the Plain by Cormac McCarthy, and it is amazing so far. Looking forward to finishing the border trilogy so I can start reading Blood Meridian.

My man! I'll be joining you either later this year or early next year through the border trilogy.

Not sure about the Dr. Seuss reference, but I found the first book boring. The humor just didn't work for me. I doubt I'll read the others...we'll see what else I have in my backlog first.

ShaneB

Finished The Temple of Gold last night, and was happy to give it 4/5, absolutely hilarious at times, but never really hit me emotionally as I hoped.

Now I'm cycling through my books and no idea what I'm in the mood for.

duckroll

I'm reading Gene Wolfe's An Evil Guest recently, after finishing Soldier of Sidon. It's kinda weird. Lol. Will report back with more details when I'm done. Parts of it feels kinda Shadowrun-ish, where it's set in a future which is kinda like modern day, and it's a bit of a pulp thriller, but there's apparently alchemy, telepathy, humanity has made contact with alien colonies, and there are elder gods. Or something. ?????????

I've only read a couple of Duane Swierczynski novels, The Wheel Man and Severance Package, but I enjoyed them both quite a bit. I'd like to hear what you thought of Point and Shoot when you're done. Or, since Wikipedia tells me it's part of a trilogy, how you liked Fun and Games and/or Hell and Gone.

Both were pretty good. The second one is really weird compared to the first. Worth reading though. The pace in the first one is really fast. Both novels are pretty dark.

FnordChan

Regarding the Charlie Hardie trilogy:

Both were pretty good. The second one is really weird compared to the first. Worth reading though. The pace in the first one is really fast. Both novels are pretty dark.

Fast pased and dark seems to sum up Duane Swierczynski pretty well. Thanks for letting me know what you thought! I'll plan on checking out Fun and Games sometime soon.

Also, I thought I had stumbled into BizarroGAF last month when people were hating on Neuromancer and The Stars My Destination, but I think this is the first time I've ever seen people down on The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I guess I can see where folks wouldn't be into the whimsy of it all, but I still find it to be pretty surprising. I'd recommend that folks who aren't into the Hitchhiker's Guide books give the original radio dramas a shot, since the humor may sell itself better that way. Either way, it'll provide a good excuse to listen to "Journey of the Sorcerer".

FnordChan

Finished this:

Saints by Gene Luen Yang

It was only okay. I'm going to read the Boxers part and see if how it ties together makes the series better.

Also finished this long non-fiction one:

Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care by Jennifer Block

None of it was anything I didn't already know, but I still found it informative and enjoyable, if not infuriating at times. It's crazy what women have to go through to deliver their babies the way they want. I recommend this to anyone who's thinking about having a baby in the hospital. It does have an anti-hospital or anti-medical establishment slant, but I think it's justified.

Just finished (for the first time):

I thought it was great. A few friends went to see the movie, and it sounds like it was a pretty bad adaptation.

Just starting:

book-medium.jpg

Very funny so far. I enjoy that's it's based on the classic series, as well as the author's own memories.

FL4TW4V3

Finished reading

YBVR7D2l.jpg

which was a very nice fast paced read. I hope they don't totally f*ck up the movie...

Started reading

a1IC4jRl.jpg

My first foray into the Warhammer 40k universe.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Just finished (for the first time): [Ender's Game]

I thought it was great.

I'll second that. Read it for the first time a few weeks back. A real delight. Don't want to see the movie, chances are it will spoil the memory of the book.

KSai

I finished The Once and Future King yesterday. It was sad to see it end. I finally took a liking to Gawaine and it was over.

I guess I'll go read Le Morte next.

I just finished reading Johnny Got His Gun. What a powerful, heart breaking novel. It's also the most disturbing book I've ever read.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I finished The Once and Future King yesterday. It was sad to see it end. I finally took a liking to Gawaine and it was over.

An absolute delight, that book. First read it about 30 years ago and still re-read it every couple of years just for the sheer pleasure.

So glad you mentioned it.

Jintor

Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman

Worse than I remembered, but still good fun. Doctor Impossible and his introspective musings are incredibly entertaining and depressing, but the main story goes nowhere and is basically 'solved' by people suddenly dumping their origin stories on other people for no particular reason.

Gonna read "The Good War" for Nano inspiration. Maybe WWZ, but I don't really think WWZ's as good as I remember it. Anybody else know any other oral histories not by Studs Turkel?

I'm reading Neuromancer, and I'm not really feeling it. I can't express what I don't like about it exactly, but the story doesn't really seem to be filled out enough or to form a cohesive whole. It just feels like a bunch of events thrown out there with nothing holding them together. Plus, I don't feel like I know or care about the characters much.

Top Bottom