• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2013)

ShaneB

So I've decided on my next book. After reading The Temple of Gold, and finding a good portion of it hilarious, I was in the mood for something light hearted as well, but I wanted to get back into a genre piece maybe, mainly some fantasy. But I figure I'll check out the author's other work, turns out William Goldman wrote The Princess Bride, a book I never read, and sadly a movie I have not seen either! So here goes on this classic..

Now reading..
The Princess Bride
21787.jpg

Mannequin

Currently reading two books on the American Civil War, both of which are excellent.

The first is:

Battle_Cry_of_Freedom_(book)_cover.jpg

A full history of the Civil War. It's very detailed and thorough while also being very engaging.

And the second:

44469.jpg

A historical novel on the Battle of Gettysburg.

But I figure I'll check out the author's other work, turns out William Goldman wrote The Princess Bride, a book I never read, and sadly a movie I have not seen either! So here goes on this classic.

INCONCEIVABLE! (reference won't make sense until you watch the movie)

I've also never read the book, but the movie is pure gold. That's my favorite childhood film.

ShaneB

INCONCEIVABLE! (reference won't make sense until you watch the movie)

I've also never read the book, but the movie is pure gold. That's my favorite childhood film.

Buh? The book was first published in 1973, the movie came out in 1987! :p And yes, I've long known I should watch the movie, I no doubt finally will after reading the book.

Narag

The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis

Finished this a week back, I think. Whole false prophet/end of days stuff was interesting. Glad I revisited the series at any rate.

Redliners by David Drake

Despite being wary of free Baen books, I gave this a shot. It really surprised me with its quality. It's milscifi about a company pushed beyond its mental breaking point after an operation gone awry and an attempt to rehabilitate the survivors rather than discharging them into a civilian life they'd never be suited for.

Currently reading two books on the American Civil War, both of which are excellent.

The first is:

Battle_Cry_of_Freedom_(book)_cover.jpg

A full history of the Civil War. It's very detailed and thorough while also being very engaging.

And the second:

44469.jpg

A historical novel on the Battle of Gettysburg.

Both won the Pulitzer, I think? Can't go wrong with either, I think. Then again, I might be biased. My youngest son's birth started in G-berg, and one of his middle names is Chamberlain, so....

Mannequin

Both won the Pulitzer, I think? Can't go wrong with either, I think. Then again, I might be biased. My youngest son's birth started in G-berg, and one of his middle names is Chamberlain, so....

Huh, I didn't know BCOF also won a Pulitzer, that's great.

I just got finished with the section of The Killer Angels about Chamberlain's defense of Little Round Top. A really exciting chapter.
I love the characterization of all the key players - even though it's only the authors interpretation, it really brings the people and events to life. I'd love to visit Gettysburg and other Civil War battle sites someday.

DagsJT

Just finished Memoirs Of An Imaginary Friend and was in tears. So well written throughout and I couldn't even read the last page without putting the Kindle down to compose myself otherwise I'd have burst out.

The last book to have this effect on me was The Art Of Racing In The Rain and this is on the same level.

Remarkable book and can't recommend highly enough.

ShaneB

Just finished Memoirs Of An Imaginary Friend and was in tears. So well written throughout and I couldn't even read the last page without putting the Kindle down to compose myself otherwise I'd have burst out.

The last book to have this effect on me was The Art Of Racing In The Rain and this is on the same level.

Remarkable book and can't recommend highly enough.

Frodo-Hug-Samwise-Elijah-Wood-Sean-Astin.gif

I am so glad you loved it as well. I will need to read The Art of Racing in the Rain atop my reading queue as well than, thanks for pointing that out.

DagsJT

Frodo-Hug-Samwise-Elijah-Wood-Sean-Astin.gif

I am so glad you loved it as well. I will need to read The Art of Racing in the Rain atop my reading queue as well than, thanks for pointing that out.

Great gif!

Also check out A Dogs Purpose, which my wife thinks was better than TAORITR.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
I haven't read a book in a long while and want to get back into it but I can't maintain focus. Anyone have any tips?

The Old Man and the Wasteland
At the Mountains of Madness
Puddnhead Wilson
Inferno
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
I, Robot
The Rum Diary
The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency
The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate

Reading Feed by Mira Grant right now. It's alright. I like the world she's created but I'm not too sold on her main characters yet.

Also reading a true-life haunted house story called True Haunting by Edwin F. Becker as research for my NaNoWriMo novel. The writing is just okay and nothing in the book so far as been particularly scary, but the house was the site of the first televised exorcism back in 1971. Becker wrote the book about 40 years after everything occurred so I'm not sure how much has been embellished, but it's an interesting read if you're into that kind of thing.

Pachimari

Guys, can you recommend me any great books in the following categories?:

- PHP
- Motivational
- Financials

Just for an ordinary guy going to school.

Reading Devil in the Grove, and it's really good, but finishing A Prayer for Owen Meany has left a huge hole in my commute. I need more slice-of-life!

Pollux

Should probably be reading for school, but I need something to read for a little bit before going to bed. 11/22/63 in the bookstore the other day, got through the first couple chapters and then had to go meet a friend and really liked it.

But for some odd reason, I ended up buying The Gunslinger instead. I think it's because I'm craving a good series. Anyway...

gunslinger.jpg

Mifune

Mehmber

Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware

Absolutely beautiful book. Chris Ware does things with the comic book medium on every page that just blow my mind. I thought I knew what this book was all about from the beginning but it's actually much deeper, more thoughtful and expansive than I thought possible given the premise. It has been a while since a graphic novel affected me like this. Stunning.

RosemarysBabyBook.jpg

Finished Rosemary's Baby...highly enjoyable read. Forgot how crazy the ending was, need to do a rewatch of the movie which if memory serves me is very faithful to the book.

Think I'll start another Vonnegut. Maybe Cat's Cradle.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Don't forget Brokeback Mountain.

Proulx's prose is word jizz.

I finished reading this:

The Honest Life: Living Naturally and True to You by Jessica Alba

Not something I'd ordinarily read, but I like some of The Honest Company's products, and this was one of the few things available on Oyster (Netflix for books) that I wanted to read. It was only ok. If you like reading home/lifestyle magazines at the doctor's office, you may like reading this. It's nothing new though, so if you already know that it's better to eat organic and stay away from toxic cleaning products, etc. then you don't need to read this book.

Bazza

Finished Crucible of Gold and Blood of Tyrants over the weekend, sad to see that there is only 1 more book scheduled for the Temeraire series but I suppose the whole thing was set in the Nepoleonic wars and seeing as the books are coming to the end of that era it makes sense to finish things neatly rather than drag more books out, all I have to say is
Temeraire and Laurance better get a happy ending they have been through alot of shit

I started this yesterday. A dozen-or-so chapters in and the feels are unbearable. I can tell I'm going to be in bits by the end.

jacobs34

Ok everyone what are your favorite books with under 200 pages?

Slaughterhousefive.jpg

Perhaps my favorite book period. Read it around my sophomore year of high school and it completely changed the way I thought about literature and what it could do. All of us bookish nerds have "that" book and Slaughterhouse-Five was mine.

Was in Santa Cruz yesterday and decided to pick this up as I've seen the 1985 movie but never got around to reading the book...

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Hundred pages into A Storm of Swords.

Holy fucking shit, there is SO much going on right now. I can't even begin to imagine how this story will continue to unfold.

All these characters are so fascinating to me.

DagsJT

0575099038.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Started this morning and took a little while to get my head around the world, and only read a couple of chapters, but really enjoying it so far. Characters seem quite interesting and I'm curious to see where the story goes.

Top Bottom