• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2011)

braves01 said:
Have you read The Monk by Matthew Lewis? It was written about thirty years after Castle of Otranto, but holds up much, much better imo. Thoroughly enjoyable, classic Goth lit. featuring rape, murder, and incest. You can imagine how shocking that would be circa 1795. By the way, Lewis wrote this at age 19 and was a member of Parliament, which makes it all the more impressive.

Might check it out.

Free epub version if anyone is interested.

Anyway, taking a break from Leviathan Wakes and started on this-
4956472402_508daf2eb5_z.jpg

Pretty much plowed through it over the weekend and it's good, but a bit overrated I'd say. But Francis has cracked me up more than once, and taking into account when it was written its been a good time.

Up next-
The_Visible_Man_by_Chuck_Klosterman.jpg

The Missus got this for me.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
braves01 said:
Have you read The Monk by Matthew Lewis? It was written about thirty years after Castle of Otranto, but holds up much, much better imo. Thoroughly enjoyable, classic Goth lit. featuring rape, murder, and incest. You can imagine how shocking that would be circa 1795. By the way, Lewis wrote this at age 19 and was a member of Parliament, which makes it all the more impressive.

I haven't yet, but it's on my list of things to read this month (assuming I can make it through it all. I'm going for the short stuff first before tackling the longer works.)

Mumei

I'm going to read the first of the Vorkosigan Saga omnibus editions, Cordelia's Honor. I've heard such wonderful things about it that I'm really looking forward to it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Mumei said:
I'm going to read the first of the Vorkosigan Saga omnibus editions, Cordelia's Honor. I've heard such wonderful things about it that I'm really looking forward to it.
Just a warning based on that collection it might not live up to those "wonderful" things but it will as you progress through the series.:)

Number45

Inspired by my conversation on this page (50 post view) last month to go back and read:

31JqhOSbZ9L._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-46,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

I'd forgotten how good the book is, particularly the opening sequences as Harker makes his way to Castle Dracula and slowly realises what's happening to him. One of few books I've read that sends a chill down my spine often. <3

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Alright, I just finished reading Paul Auster's The New York Trilogy.

I enjoyed it, but it left me feeling somewhat confused. Could anyone who's read it please take a moment to explain the connection between the three stories? I understand the common motif they share, but I feel like I'm missing the direct connections between the characters/narrators (if there is any). I don't know, I guess I'm just not used to open-ended stories like these.

Vagabundo

I've started reading George RRRRRR Martin's Game of Thrones after watching the series earlier this year, but I'm having difficulty getting into it. Maybe it's his writing style or that I've already watched the TV series.

Maybe I'll switch to Iain Banks, I haven't read a culture novel in a while and there are a good few I haven't read.

_Isaac

Vagabundo said:
I've started reading George RRRRRR Martin's Game of Thrones after watching the series earlier this year, but I'm having difficulty getting into it. Maybe it's his writing style or that I've already watched the TV series.

Maybe I'll switch to Iain Banks, I haven't read a culture novel in a while and there are a good few I haven't read.

A Game of Thrones is actually a pretty slow burner and it just takes a while for it to get going, but in the end I think I really enjoyed it. I don't know how different it'd be to read it once you've seen the series though. I hate going from adaptation to the original source. It's weird to me.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just started:

SnowFallingOnCedars.jpg

Only 60 pages in and I think it's pretty amazing so far. Love the atmosphere and writing and it's just really clicked with me so far.

Mumei

Lafiel said:
Just a warning based on that collection it might not live up to those "wonderful" things but it will as you progress through the series.:)

I just finished Shards of Honor and I quite enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to Barrayar, and the Young Miles collection after that.

Just finished the Commonwealth Saga. So fantastic. I was disappointed to find out it wasn't a trilogy though .. I had it in my head that it was for some reason. I'm debating if I move on to something non sci-fi related or if I give Nights Dawn Trilogy a go.

Maklershed said:
Just finished the Commonwealth Saga. So fantastic. I was disappointed to find out it wasn't a trilogy though .. I had it in my head that it was for some reason. I'm debating if I move on to something non sci-fi related or if I give Nights Dawn Trilogy a go.

It was originally planned as a trilogy, but then he condensed it into 2 huge volumes.

Best space opera of the last decade, wish I could find something similar.

LocoMrPollock said:
It was originally planned as a trilogy, but then he condensed it into 2 huge volumes.

Best space opera of the last decade, wish I could find something similar.
Yeah the universe he created in those two books is just so rich and fleshed out already that he could keep going (and I wish he would). It's like the ASOIAF series of space!

Currently reading:

Blood Meridian: Or, the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy
For the GAF bookclub. It's going better than I thought (had very low expectations for the book) but so far still a lot of style over substance. And I'm not a big fan of the style, so not sure how I'll feel about the book after I read it. I'm on chapter 6.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Love the cover and was swayed by a lot of good early reviews. The synopsis made me think it was going to be like The Prestige (two magicians dueling it out) but reading 5% into it, not so much. Very nice descriptions and prose so far. I'm curious to see where this goes.

Goody

Maklershed said:
Started Twilight. I'm 16% in and loving it already. Not a bad choice for October reading either (set in Fall and revolves around an undertaker)
It's a really fantastic book. A few times throughout I had to stop and put the thing down just for how much it had struck me. Gay's a genius and one of the finest in the South.

maomaoIYP said:
Just before this I read his "The Unconsoled", I hated it soooo much. After this I'll move on to
and then I would have finished reading all of his books.

Let me know how Artist is. I've read every book by Ishiguro except for that.

I would rank them:

1. Remains of the Day
2. Never Let me Go
3. When We Were Orphans
4. Pale View of the Hills
5. The Unconsoled
6. Nocturnes

I'm a big fan of Ishiguro, one of my favorite authors. That being said, The Unconsoled and Nocturnes I didn't care for all that much.

ymmv said:
The 2nd book is indeed the weakest book in the trilogy. It was slow going for 2/3 of the way, it felt like nothing much was happening for a couple of hundred pages, but it really picked up at the end and had a great ending. The third book in the series doesn't have that problem, there's lots of stuff happening, many new plot twists. I liked "Hero of Ages" just as much as the first book.

Currently reading:

devil-white-city_3220_500.jpg

I only have about 30 pages of this bad boy left. Really loving it. The serial killer aspect is in someways the least interesting part of the book. I can't believe this one event spawned so many things that are just everyday staples of life now.

HM-Underground(UK)Paper.jpg

About a third of the way through, pretty fascinating book so far, and quite sad.
It's non-fiction but still very well written with that Murakami slant on things

_Isaac

I just finished The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.
x4a8E.jpg

It was a pleasant surprise, and a fun adventure story. I couldn't put the book down. It was also one of the few stories where I was legitimately concerned for the safety of some of the characters. I just don't think Collins is that great at building an interesting futuristic world. I think it just comes off as a bit silly like when she describes the Capitol people with their pink hair and bright blue eye shadow or whatever ridiculous getup I have to imagine. Anyway, I recommend it for a quick adventure read.

I am now going to start Feynman by Jim Ottaviani
z8aWd.jpg

I hope it's good.

Flynn

Just finished Ready Player One. Cracked Reamde last night. Two great sci-fi books about MMOs released within several months.

Goody

I was pretty daunted when I picked up Larry Brown's Fay and its near 500 pages, but I've been reading it for a couple of days and blowing through it. So far, it's not at all what I expected after reading Joe, which this book is a sort of sequel to. It's so much quiet and sad, though I do expect it to make a few shifts in tone.

I also want to get more into poetry, so I picked up a collection by Ron Rash called Waking. Ron Rash is an author I'm familiar with through his fiction (One Foot in Eden may be the best first novel I've ever read) and through his critical writings of many works of Southern contemporary fiction. His poetry is wonderful and well within my grasp as a beginning reader.

I've been wanting to read more poetry ever since I was manning a coffee bar and a customer and I started up a conversation about Harry Crews. He'd heard him speak at Rollins College about how more prose should be written like Eliot's The Waste Land. That work's a little over-whelming to me now, but I want to get there eventually.

Speaking of Crews, I've been wanting to check him out too, so I ordered a copy of All We Need of Hell. Someone mentioned it as a good entry point into his body of work. I only wish more of his stuff was still in print.

Just finished The Sound and The Fury, having had to read it for a class.

It did nothing to really turn around my belief that Faulkner is one of the more overrated writers that I've encountered, but it was better than the other two novels of his that I've read - Light in August and Absalom! Absalom!. Unlike in previous novels, there was the sense that the technique was matched to the internal and mental states of the characters, which gave the work a greater sense of overall unity. However, like previous novels, I never got the sense that these were characters of substance, that there was something three-dimensional happening; most had a fairly simplistic psychology and were rather obvious stand-ins for some political/philosophical idea about the relationship between the Old South and the New South. Faulkner certainly has a way with words and can craft a euphonious sentence, but his actual narrative skill is lacking, in my opinion.

Kusagari said:

I just finished reading this and having only read 1 of Murakmai's work The Wind Up Bird Chronicle (Really enjoyed it.) I was disappointed with Norwegian Wood. The characters were great and I found myself drawn into the main character but the story was just not grasping my attention.

1Q84 comes out soon in the states so I am really looking forward to giving that a read next.

Ok this is driving me crazy - there's a movie coming out called 'In Time' where people use time from their life as currency. Didn't someone that posts in these threads share a short story a few months ago that they wrote with that exact same concept? Cyan maybe?

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Maklershed said:
Ok this is driving me crazy - there's a movie coming out called 'In Time' where people use time from their life as currency. Didn't someone that posts in these threads share a short story a few months ago that they wrote with that exact same concept? Cyan maybe?

Don't know about someone sharing a short story here, but Harlan Ellison is suing them because he thinks they stole from his short story "Repent, Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman."

Flynn

MrOogieBoogie said:
Alright, I just finished reading Paul Auster's The New York Trilogy.

I enjoyed it, but it left me feeling somewhat confused. Could anyone who's read it please take a moment to explain the connection between the three stories? I understand the common motif they share, but I feel like I'm missing the direct connections between the characters/narrators (if there is any). I don't know, I guess I'm just not used to open-ended stories like these.

I see the different protagonists as facets of each other.

Verdre said:
Don't know about someone sharing a short story here, but Harlan Ellison is suing them because he thinks they stole from his short story "Repent, Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman."

Strange. The movie seems pretty different.

Just finished:

9780312851408.jpg

Really, really enjoyed it. Things kicked into gear during the second half of the book and I couldn't put it down.

Moved right on to:

9780765305114.jpg

Can't wait for the weekend so I can really get stuck into it.

maomaoIYP

tyguy20204 said:
Let me know how Artist is. I've read every book by Ishiguro except for that.

I would rank them:

1. Remains of the Day
2. Never Let me Go
3. When We Were Orphans
4. Pale View of the Hills
5. The Unconsoled
6. Nocturnes

I'm a big fan of Ishiguro, one of my favorite authors. That being said, The Unconsoled and Nocturnes I didn't care for all that much.

I just finished Artist today on the train to work. It's of a similar length to Pale Views, but I liked it better. Not gonna spoil anything for you though! I'm a huge fan of Ishiguro too, but The Unconsoled is just too damn weird.

How I rank them:

1. Never Let Me Go
2. Remains of the Day
3. An Artist of the Floating World
4. When We Were Orpans
5. Pale View of the Hills
6. Nocturnes
7. The Unconsoled

Verdre said:
Interesting thanks for the info. BTW does that title seem like an anagram to anyone else?

FnordChan

Lo-Volt said:

I recently re-read Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy, also in anticipation of the film adaptation. It was as wonderful a novel as I'd remembered it, and I've now moved on to re-reading The Honourable Schoolboy, which is off to a fine start.

5194bZ%2BumML.jpg

Are you not interested in the middle book of the Karla trilogy?

FnordChan

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Jarlaxle said:
I remember reading this book years ago. I thought it was pretty well written at the time but I also had the same issue that others seemed to pick up on. You can definitely tell that she understands some of the hardships and empathises with the "common/poor" people, but at the end of the day she knows she really doesn't have to continue living that life.
Yeah, that's one of things she explicitedly acknowledges, this is just a one month ordeal for her. A terrible, soul-crushing, physically exhausting one, but there was light at the end of the tunnel. Imagine if there wasn't.
I don't think I could read this book now that I'm older though. Alot of what is brought up in this book I actually feel myself and it just depresses me and angers me at the same time. When I was in college (when I read it about 7 or 8 years ago), it just seemed like a well written look into dynamics of the lower class struggles. Now it's like a mirror to our society in general and it disgusts me.

I actually thought the Walmart section to be one of the best, interestingly enough.
The last paragraph of the book:
p.221 said:
Someday, of course - and I will make no predictions as to exactly when - they are bound to tire of getting so little in return and to demand to be paid what they're worth. There'll be a lot of anger when that day comes, and strikes and disruption. But the sky will not fall, and we will all be better off for it in the end.
Are we getting closer to that day? I'm not so sure.

As for the Walmart chapter, I think it's just more a pacing thing for me personally. I didn't really like that it constituted pretty much half of the book. The content is interesting, but I just needed a section break or something.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
My thoughts on How Bad are Bananas? The Carbon Footprint of Everything by Mike Berners-Lee:

4196wZtYLLL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Book description said:
Is it more environmentally friendly to ride the bus or drive a hybrid car? In a public washroom, should you dry your hands with paper towel or use the air dryer? And how bad is it really to eat bananas shipped from South America?

Climate change is upon us whether we like it or not. Managing our carbon usage has become a part of everyday life and we have no choice but to live in a carbon-careful world. The seriousness of the challenge is getting stronger, demanding that we have a proper understanding of the carbon implications of our everyday lifestyle decisions. However most of us don't have sufficient understanding of carbon emissions to be able to engage in this intelligently.

Part green-lifestyle guide, part popular science, How Bad Are Bananas? is the first book to provide the information we need to make carbon-savvy purchases and informed lifestyle choices, and to build carbon considerations into our everyday thinking. It also helps put our decisions into perspective with entries for the big things (the World Cup, volcanic eruptions, and the Iraq war) as well as the small (email, ironing a shirt, a glass of beer). And it covers the range from birth (the carbon footprint of having a child) to death (the carbon impact of cremation). Packed full of surprises-a plastic bag has the smallest footprint of any item listed, while a block of cheese is bad news-the book continuously informs, delights, and engages the reader.

Highly accessible and entertaining, solidly researched and referenced, packed full of easily digestible figures, catchy statistics, and informative charts and graphs, How Bad Are Bananas? is doesn't tell people what to do, but it will raise awareness, encourage discussion, and help people to make up their own minds based on their own priorities.

The short version: A great reference with a catchy title. The book itself is laid out in a logical manner, going in orders of magnitudes of carbon emissions equivalent (under 10 grams to 1 million tons and beyond). The author combines both top-down and bottom-up approaches in calculating his footprints, which is no easy task given the interconnectedness of everything we produce and consume nowadays.

Some interesting tidbits from the book:

-How bad really are bananas? They are a very low-carbon food: they are grown without greenhouses, shipped with minimal packaging via large cargo ships, the most efficient form of long-distance transportation. Keep eating them!
-Bottled water has 1000x the carbon footprint as the stuff coming out of the faucet. Avoid anywhere you have decent tap water. Save your money as well.
-Plastic bags are nasty for a bunch of reasons, but are not a big carbon concern.
-Meat (especially from ruminants like cows and sheep) and dairy have huge footprints due to the generation of methane.

The book isn’t perfect. On occasion, his methodology is hard to understand. References are provided in the back, but they are not always adequately explained. I’m still trying to figure out what a “climate-change related death” is and how it is calculated. In addition, the book is from the UK, so sometimes it’s a little difficult relating his experiences to the ones in North America, even though he converts everything to pounds and has included a lot of Canadian and American content.

But those are minor quibbles. The content is informative and presented in an appealing and accessible way. Above all, it is his approach and his writing that really sold me on the book. In the first few pages, the author stresses the need to look at the big picture, to pick the right battles for reducing carbon emissions, to not succumb to misdirection and obfuscation, and to hone in on areas of your personal life that work for you to produce the most bang for your buck.

He frankly admits to the fuzziness of the numbers and that there is a lot of room for improvement. But his real goal is to produce a resource with ballpark figures so that people can wrap their heads around this really complex issue. I found this aspect really refreshing as I went through the book; it’s evident that he is a subject matter expert and has poured a lot of energy into this, but he never comes across as being boisterous and authoritative. He even provides an email address for improvements and suggestions.

I don’t buy too many books nowadays, but I’m glad I got this one: it’s a keeper. It’s for anyone who thinks, to quote the author, “climate change is a big deal, it’s caused by humans, and we can do something about it”, and is interested in some carbon awareness. Highly recommended.

Mumei

Finished Cordelia's Honor and Young Miles. So much fun. The description Dresden used for it in his topic about favorite fantasy / sci-fi novels is really quite perfect.

I started Shadow of the Torturer. I read the first two chapters so far. I found that in reading The Fifth Head of Cerberus and Peace that I'd often feel vaguely... bored by the whole thing, as though every single interesting thing about it was what I wasn't[/b] being told or described. Eventually I really liked them, and after I finished and it all came together, I liked it more sort of retroactively. But getting to that point (and this was more true of Peace than of Cerberus) wasn't quite as interesting. I imagine that they are much more interesting in the reread than in the initial read.

But so far (and admittedly it's not much to go on), it seems like this is much more interesting on the surface level than those were (though I am aware it is supposed to share a lot of qualities with the other two, as well). I'll probably finish Shadow of the Torturer by tomorrow and get started on Claw of the Conciliator.

Karakand said:
These Le Carre covers are great. :bow1 Penguin :bow2

e:Except of course SOON TO BE A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE.
They look great, a lot better then the versions on offer at Amazon atm :/ I recently picked up TTSP from Waterstones in anticipation of the film but cheaped out on the crappy film cash in version, kind of regret it seeing those. I am a real sucker for good cover art.

Cheska

I may be the only one in here reading this right now, but I'm enjoying the heck out of Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth.

uncharted3.jpg

There's plenty of times where I feel like I'm reliving another Uncharted game. The banter between Drake and Sully is spot on, and Jada is a fun character. There are times that I feel the exploring aspects drag on, but I'm about 60% done and will say that it was worth every bit of double dipping for the Kindle and paperback editions.

BorkBork said:
My thoughts on How Bad are Bananas? The Carbon Footprint of Everything by Mike Berners-Lee:

4196wZtYLLL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Some interesting tidbits from the book:

-How bad really are bananas? They are a very low-carbon food: they are grown without greenhouses, shipped with minimal packaging via large cargo ships, the most efficient form of long-distance transportation. Keep eating them!

Cool, I didn't know that. Based on the title, I thought that they were going to be super footprint heavy. Bananas are pretty delicious, but I did read somewhere that the type we eat now has pretty much taken over the world and the world's "natural" varieties of bananas have died out mostly.

BTW, I really like how you structure your reviews. Detailed, but also with a tl;dr; verison.

Kraftwerk

I'm 50 pages in to this, and I'm already in love. Classic Banks. First 20 pages
He introduces a character. It's been only 20 pages, but you have been invested in this character. You only know her name, but you are rooting for her. Then BAM. He kills her in a very brutal way.

Comes the next 20 pages
You are introduced to yet another character. Poor man is working his ass off. His spine is completely obliterated, as he finds slouching more comfortable than standing up. SPINE RIVETS 'cringe'. Same thing here. You get invested in the character, then fucking Ian M. Banks decides to kill again.

Another thing I love about him, is how he suddenly out of nowhere goes into great detail about things. Just the last 10 pages
In the middle of introducing the new character, he goes into how and why The Culture designs building. How Orbitals are made, how they are transported. Idiran philosophy andThe Culture mindset towards war.

600 pages left. I am gonna take my time with this one. Absorbing everything.

Ml96v.jpg

choodi

Banned
BanShunsaku said:
Just finished:

9780312851408.jpg

Really, really enjoyed it. Things kicked into gear during the second half of the book and I couldn't put it down.

Moved right on to:

9780765305114.jpg

Can't wait for the weekend so I can really get stuck into it.

If you're reading them for the first time, I'm jealous. Those first few books were so good.

Too bad Jordan lost his way so badly later on in the series.

Sanderson is definitely finishing things off well though

Top Bottom