• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2011)

qno6bm.jpg

Visit the October GAF Book Club thread! The book this month is Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

GAF Recommends!

History Books
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Post-apocalpytic Books
Books of 2010
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Lengthy Books
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Books
Summer Reading
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Fantasy Recommendations
Scary Books
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Blogs
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

_Isaac

I just finished Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer.
6wIfT.jpg

It was fantastic. I was thoroughly engrossed throughout the whole thing, and it just felt like a quick read. I really liked the way how he went into the history of the mountain and how it was perceived by the mountain climbing community.

I am now working on The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.
x4a8E.jpg

I hope it's good.

I'm reading
DC8aD.jpg

as a followup to Kitchen Confidential and

0y0Qa.jpg

as a followup to The Quiet American.

I've actually recently re-read Blood Meridian so I'm interested in following the book club this month.

Mumei

Spat_triate said:
A friend is trying to get me into comics and recommended this:

0010397e8610c8d6be44d8673557831e3920fa8f.jpg

That's a great introduction to comics. It actually got me interested in reading more.

I started Peace by Gene Wolfe yesterday, haven't gotten very far yet.

bengraven

3/4 through Lonesome Dove right now (beautiful book - you don't even have to like Westerns to like it: it's a well-written, occasionally funny, occasionally philosphical, occasionally dark and gritty and terrifying book that almost reads more like a fantasy adventure ala Lord of the Rings than a Western).

20110514141930!LarryMcMurtry_LonesomeDove.jpg

Soon as I'm done, I'll be following you gents into

blood_meridian.large.jpg

After that, I'll finish up the rest of the Lonesome Dove series.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
ultron87 said:
2/3 of the way through. I think I'm finally getting close to the interesting part.

I remember this one being rather slow. It's been a bit since I've finished it and I still haven't gone on to the third one (not that I didn't like the second one, but... I just can't bring myself to read it.)

So, it being October and all, does anyone have any good horror recommendations? I have all the public domain classics lined up on my Kindle, but I'm looking for something more modern. I prefer supernatural to psychological/gore-fest, and I want something that's actually scary!

Jenga

Banned
about to finish darkness at noon, great book

i forgot who but someone mentioned it in the sept thread and it got my interest

thanks guy im too lazy to look up

Jenga

Banned
Maklershed said:
As it seems to be marketed for teen girls I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Reminded me of a Margaret Atwood book in some regards.
so it's a battle royal ripoff emulating the worst popular canadian author of all time

Dresden

About done with Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay, it was pretty good. I never like his endings so I'm curious to see how he'll muck it up this time.

survivor

Banned
Well I just finished Life of Pi. I really think I would have enjoyed the book more if it wasn't for my friends spoiling the entire book for me 2 years ago when they read it in school.

I have no idea what to read next. I still have to finish Game of Thrones, but I'm in no mood to go back to fantasy. I'm thinking of reading something quick while I wait for Blood Meridian to be available to read it for the book club. I think I will just go pick up Waiting for Godot on Monday and read it. It's a play so it can't take me that long to finish.

I can't post pics since I'm on a iPad.

Fun fact: I only started reading when I got the iPad 1 with iBooks. Since then I've read paperbacks and now have Kindle 3 as my main book reader.

Just finished Kindle books:

In the Cold Light of Tomorrow by K.A. McDicken - a great story about after a meteor hitting earth the last remaining humans give birth to the next evolution of mankind. The first half sets up this post apocalypse world in a good way. But I thought the second half, which turned it into a whodunit kinda dragged on. Still one of my favorite recent reads. Yall might wanna check it out on Kindle its 99c

We Are the Monsters by Aaron Polsen - A thirty-ish year old man (forgot how old he was. I have somewhat bad memory) recounts his senior year of high school in the town that was hungry for death. His brother has died when he was a kid, he and his friends kill a drunk and lie about it but their magic friend who can make people believe any lie he tells starts to fall apart and everything about the town is death. Very awsome read imo and its only 99c as well.

Theres some great Kindle books for free and 99c. I have seventy unread free books.
So far I have read 70 books this year! My goal is a hundred and I'm 5 behind right now.

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins - After The awsome Hunger Games, one of my favorite books ever, I had to get the rest of the series. So after taking a break from reading in September I jumped back in and its awsome second book is just...awsome.

I said awsome to many times.

Just Finished iBooks: None

Last iBook: The Last Vampire 8/Thirst 4: The Shadow of Death by Christopher Pike (Read on the day it was released, August 9th, in 6 hours. So hooked on this series. I hope it gets continued)

Paperbacks: None

Last Paperback: See You Later by Christopher Pike - As you can probably tell Christopher Pike is my favorite author.

Currently reading
Kindle:

The Gods of Dream by Daniel Arenson
Haunting the Night by Mara Purnhagen

Gonna read soon:
Kindle:

Starfire Angels by Melaine Nilles
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Speed Dating with the Dead by Scott Nicholson

iBooks:
Anita Blake Book #9 by Laura K. Hamilton
House of Night Destined by P.C. And Kristin Cast

Paperback
Fall into Darkness by Christopher Pike
The Hollow Skull by Christopher Pike

As you can tell I usually go for Fantasy/Mythology based books (Vampires, Fairies, etc.)

Fun Fact #2: From July 23rd 2011 to August 14th 2011 books really saved me since I had no internet. I actually read lmost a book a day when I had no internet heh.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
BrokenFiction said:
Anvil of the World

I actually read this about a month or so ago. It wasn't until I finished it that I read somewhere it was meant as a comedy! I guess it depends on your taste in humor. It was rather slow at first, but it grew on me. In the end I decided it was an enjoyable read, if not a great one.

Aurelius

thousand-autumns-of-jacob-de-zoet.jpeg

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell. Really enjoying it so far, the books gives an excellent discription of life in Deshima, Nagasaki during the 18th century. As a Dutchman it's very interesting to read about "our" history. Especially about the rampent corruption within the VOC. But it seems a bit light sometimes and I'm not so sure about the turn the books takes during the second part. Somehow I think a writer like James Clavell would have done more with this subject.

Orito Aibagawa trying to escape from a covent that worships a pregnant goddess sounds like it's straight from a cheap airport novel.

ymmv

Banned
Lissar said:
I remember this one being rather slow. It's been a bit since I've finished it and I still haven't gone on to the third one (not that I didn't like the second one, but... I just can't bring myself to read it.)

The 2nd book is indeed the weakest book in the trilogy. It was slow going for 2/3 of the way, it felt like nothing much was happening for a couple of hundred pages, but it really picked up at the end and had a great ending. The third book in the series doesn't have that problem, there's lots of stuff happening, many new plot twists. I liked "Hero of Ages" just as much as the first book.

Currently reading:

devil-white-city_3220_500.jpg

bengraven said:
3/4 through Lonesome Dove right now (beautiful book - you don't even have to like Westerns to like it: it's a well-written, occasionally funny, occasionally philosphical, occasionally dark and gritty and terrifying book that almost reads more like a fantasy adventure ala Lord of the Rings than a Western).

[After that, I'll finish up the rest of the Lonesome Dove series.

If you like Lonesome Dove, you should read the The Berrybender Narratives by McMurtry. Or at least the first book, "Sin Killer". I think they're better than the rest of the Lonesome Dove series.

Fou-Lu

John Dies at the End. Great and hilarious book so far.

Will most likely be starting Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen afterwards. Or perhaps catch up on Wheel of Time.

Would like to read some good horror, but it seems so hard to find anything not trying to gross you out instead of actually scaring you nowadays. The amount of necrophilia in modern horror novels makes me sick.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
finished the mistborn novels. Loved them all.

Mumei

catfish said:
finished the mistborn novels. Loved them all.

<3

I finished Peace. That was quite interesting, to say the least. I liked the stories, but there's a major element / interpretation to the stories that I hadn't considered that would completely change how I viewed the novel if true. I think I'll need to reread it sometime! Still, even as is I did enjoy it.

Next up:

The Man In the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

Man

Neuromancer.

neuromancer2.jpg

Just barely started.

Finished Forever War a week or so ago. A great read, fascinating technologies and some intense action. Cool ending.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm also reading Leviathan Wakes, although I mostly put it down when Reamde was delivered. (Ironically Reamde was not available on Kindle.) I have read 300 pages of Reamde and barely put a dent in it. It is massive.

Top Bottom