• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2012)

Jintor

IMG_0202.jpg

Summer reading!

Levi

Banned
In regards to Red Country - I've read the First Law Trilogy in full but not The Heroes or Best Served Cold - is it best to read the other two stand alone novels before I read it or does it really not matter?

They stand alone, but certain returning characters will be unfamiliar to you. I would read them in order.

Kud Dukan

51E%2B7V-PDyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I picked up the trilogy earlier this week. I'm a few hundred pages into the first one, and I'm loving it so far. Really interesting world that he's created. I don't think these will take me long to get through.

Nezumi

n402170.jpg

German version. I liked it but I have to say that I liked her last three or four books better. The characters are still great and quirky but I was missing the thrill in this one. The whole crime story was not really gripping and I found myself not really careing who the murderer was, which is not a good thing in a crime novel I guess. Was still an easy and fun read though.

Image.ashx

Around halfway through and really liking it. Definitly one of the strangest books I've read so far. I have a bad feeling though that I won't get a happy ending... it just does not seem like a book that will let you of on a happy note.

Trouble

Banned

This was a mistake, I should have known it. 3/4 of the way through the second book now. No choice but to burn straight through the trilogy at this point.

Exact same thing when I read Hunger Games. Why am I such a sucker for young-adult scifi?

Jamieee

Neo Member
thechrysalids.jpg

Simply amazing - though from the writer of The Day of the Triffids what'd you expect?

Going to start on The Passage soon, but are there any other of Wyndham's novels that are as good as these two?

Picked up some books from a library used book sale. About to crack into The Handmaid's Tale and Steppenwolf.

This was a mistake, I should have known it. 3/4 of the way through the second book now. No choice but to burn straight through the trilogy at this point.

Exact same thing when I read Hunger Games. Why am I such a sucker for young-adult scifi?

I hated the 2nd and 3rd book of Hunger Games, so I'm curious to see the trend. Feel free to spoiler rant.

Mumei

I haven't updated in a tick, so... recently:

I read Bendis and Brubaker's runs on Daredevil, three issues of The Adventures of Tintin (in America, Cigars of the Pharaoh, and The Blue Lotus), How Not To Read, and I *finally* finished the Norton Anthology of Children's Literature (2400 pages later...).

And I am 609 pages into William Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Gripping stuff. Don't spoil the ending for me.

Dresden

Going through The Heroes at last in preparation for Red Country (motherfucking Bloody Nine fuck yeah), and it's too long for its own good. Too many characters, too much chatter, it's a bit of a slog to go through.

Fjordson

Jintor, when you said summer reading, do you mean you already read all of those over this past summer? I'm impressed.

I only read two books over the course of the entire summer =[ I'm so slow lately.

Jintor

No, I'm in Australia, so Summer starts in about a month or so (but also it's Australia so it's all summer all the time)

Nymerio

ahaha, I finished two of the books but I can't get myself to start third.

xBigDanx

Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

41GQoSNG8aL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-66,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I hated it.. thought it was awful. It was well written which is why I kept reading it but the story just was not enjoyable.

Not sure what I'm going to dive into next. My Kindle Paperwhite arrives on Monday if Hurricane Sandy doesn't do her thing so I'm excited.

Nymerio

Finished Cryptonomicon a couple days ago and loved it. The characters were so awesome, I loved the Shaftoes and especially Lawrence Pritchard Waterhouse.

Started Prince of Thorns yesterday, seems ok so far.

51MYmL-7uXL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-65,22_AA300_SH20_OU03_.jpg

Been reading a bunch of genre short fiction. Of the bunch, Spar by Kij Johnson and The Cartographer Wasps and the Anarchist Bees by E Lily Yu stick out. Might finally check out Kelly Link and Ted Chiang properly.

Doing a space opera for NaNo, so I figured I might as well read one of the earliest examples, Doc Smith's Galactic Patrol. Very pulpy, but for the most part it's surprisingly readable, thanks to featuring an extremely clever villain.

Nice. Doc Smith is always in my backlog, along with pulp legends like Jim Thompson and Don Westlake. Otherwise, is your novel-in-progress Bujold-like space opera or more British Wave hard sf?

ptolemy

This is a long shot, but was wondering if anybody could help me. I was reading a book on my wife's kindle, and the screen ended up stopped working. I have no idea what the book was called, but it was about the history of medicine, and it was actually pretty good. I have only got through the first chapter so far, but it was talking about how doctors back in the day would self experiment on different herbs/chemicals.

I would love to read the rest of it, but I don't think I can't remember the name of the book, and she has no idea what book I am talking about.. lol :(

It's not "The Greatest Benefit to Mankind" by Roy Porter?

I thought 'Spar' was fucking awful. (Pun unintended.) Still can't believe it got as much praise as it did. Ted Chiang, on the other hand, now there's some good short fiction.

I doubt 'Spar' will have much of a legacy, but it doesn't pull its punches (pun sadly intended!), and it uses the brevity of the form to its advantage. Definitely a leg up on a lot of the recent stuff I've read on the online sf mags. Not to say that the general level of prose out there isn't impressive, but there seems to be a lot of blandness too.

Definitely more Bujold-like or Lee/Miller-like.

That's the never-ending Liaden series Fnordchan is always recommending, right? Speaking to the former at least, I can definitely see that strain of space opera as a good fit with your style.

mackattk

It's not "The Greatest Benefit to Mankind" by Roy Porter?

Thanks, but I found it already in a previous post, was able to find it by looking at her purchase history. Apparently it was a part of an amazon deal of the day months ago and she never got around to reading it.

I am about halfway through it now, and I am still enjoying reading it.

I'm currently stuck in hospital so have a lot of time to catch up with stuff I've wanted to read. I finished House of Leaves, which was brilliantly eerie and a fascinating observation on narrative wankery, and am now continuing an ongoing long term goal of reading all of the Discworld series. I'm getting to the end of 'Men at Arms' now, which I've enjoyed but Witches Abroad has been one of my favourites so far in this run (which started with 'Guards! Guards!').

Arment

Finished up The White Luck Warrior and now I'm reading The Black Prism.

I need a simple Brent Weeks type book after the complicated and drawn out R. Scott Bakker epic. Plus I've heard some decent things in this thread and elsewhere that indicated that The Black Prism is a good start to a promising trilogy.

I just wish something major would come out. Actually I'm only looking forward to The Winds of Winter and the second Stormlight Archive book by Brandon Sanderson at the moment.

I think after I read the first two books of this newer series I might go to something old school I haven't read yet like Foundation.

Just finished

Csu3V.jpg

about a week ago, and just started on

veNis.jpg

and I'm really liking it. I knew about Snow Crash for a long, long time, but I never got around to reading it. It was my ex's favorite, and he told me that I should read it time and time again. I never did. Now that I am reading it, it reminds me of him like woah, so it's a little weird in that respect.

Still good though. /sigh

Dresden

Finished the Heroes by Joe Abercrombie, and I liked it, mostly. It does come together pretty well and Bayaz remains a bastard, which is totally a good thing.

My body is now ready for Red Country.

Trouble

Banned
Finished the Maze Runner trilogy. Kind of a meh ending in my opinion. Not bad overall, not great, though. I though The Hunger Games was a better trilogy.

Can't decide what to read next. What say you, GAF?
QQ684.jpg
or
uIfxn.jpg

EDIT: Fuck it, flipping a coin... Perdido Street Station it is.

Woorloog

Banned
Reading Michael Cobley's Seeds of Earth (a trilogy, called Humanity's Fire).
Bought it because i needed something to read and i decided i'll choose something blindly. Otherwise i need a long time to decide what to read.

It is your standard space opera... with too many alien words. Googled it quickly and noticed it wasn't very well received by readers. Oh, well, i'll read this first part but i doubt i'll get the rest of the trilogy, at least not before hearing if they're better.
I wouldn't call this bad but it is just standard stuff.

Not getting why someone complained about it not bringing anything new to SF genre. Seriously? Doubt there is any more to be brought to the genre, but i don't care either way, all i want is a good SF story that is preferrably hard scifi.
Hard scifi space opera would be nice (not Alastair Reynolds though, read those already).

xBigDanx

I finished In The Tall Grass last night - very short - only about 50 pages I think. It was good. Nothing great. Short enough that I'd recommend if you are a fan of either Stephen King or Joe Hill.

^-- How did you like Mr. Penumbra?

Finished Skies of Fire in less than a day. It's like a cheeto for my brain. Fast and fun, but with no substance. Pretty much what you see on the cover is what you get in the book.

Skies of Fire by Zoe Archer

It had elements of all of my favorite things: airships, spying, romance, and big explosions (in the sky, not in his pants!)

Still currently reading:

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
I want to finish this before I see the movie. So far it's great and the people-interactions sometimes makes me chuckle. Unfortunately, if a character isn't mentioned in a couple of chapters, I forget what their relationship to the other characters is so now it seems like everyone is just related to everyone else, which gets kind of creepy when so-and-so mentions his wife.

Also got started on:

The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer
I really love the prose so far and the sense of nostalgia I get when reading this. It definitely evokes a sense of a different time. My only complaint (and I'm only 60 or so pages in) is that most of the men seem like asses so far.

^-- How did you like Mr. Penumbra?

I didn't want it to end!

Found it really enjoyable, as someone with a design background I loved all the
font
stuff!

Only thing negative I would say is that in a few places it felt a little rushed, I wished there was more depth given to the relationships. But overall a really good, fun read.

Just started

51W1uq%2BpE1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It's a short one so figuring I'll be done tonight.

Let me know what you think of that one. I feel like Stephen King is at his best when he writes huge books and gives himself time to fully explore an idea. This story, for me, seemed like a cool basic idea that ultimately was underdeveloped and unfulfilling.

I didn't want it to end!

Found it really enjoyable, as someone with a design background I loved all the
font
stuff!

Only thing negative I would say is that in a few places it felt a little rushed, I wished there was more depth given to the relationships. But overall a really good, fun read.

I've heard a lot of good about this one, will add to my list.

Top Bottom