• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2012)

Orujv.jpg

The GAF Book Club is back! The book for September is The Brothers Karamazov. Visit the thread here.

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Horror Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Post-apocalpytic Books

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

Atruvius

Right now I reading the last pages of Cloud Atlas.

Book contains a bunch of short stories which all are connected to the previous story in one way or another. The books spans from the 1850 - to the far flung post nuclear war future. Really interested to see how this all wraps up.

Some advice: The book gets much much better after the first story, which I found terribly boring.

wwlnd

Banned
Dropping A Naked Singularity halfway through. Starting Correction (Thomas Bernhard) and it's owning hard from page one.

thomaser

416PGcy6pZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Still reading Raymond Chandler's "The Big Sleep". Very nice, but a little strange after reading two Dashiell Hammett novels. D.H. felt much more serious, while Chandler is more flippant, with lots of corny wisecracks and odd similes. I thought it would be the other way around for some reason.

You still reading that? "Big Sleep" is really short. Anyway, you should also check out James M Cain ("Double Indemnity", "Postman Always Rings Twice", etc.) if you like hardboiled stuff.

Yen

Started Rafa Benitez's Champions League Dreams. Very good insight into his CL campaigns.

yonder

super_sad_true_love_story.large.jpg

I'm about halfway through Super Sad True Lovestory. At first I had a hard time with: both the style and the characters felt annoying, even obnoxious, but after a while I adjusted, and now I'm enjoying it. I have a soft spot for first person narration, so that helps.

I also finished the third book in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's about as great as I expected, but I had to cleanse my pallet before reading the other two. Although they're very funny, I can't take five books of the same kind of humour at once.

thomaser

You still reading that? "Big Sleep" is really short. Anyway, you should also check out James M Cain ("Double Indemnity", "Postman Always Rings Twice", etc.) if you like hardboiled stuff.

Yeah, been traveling for work and doing some other things, so I haven't read much the last week. I'm doing an online English degree, and the course I'm taking right now is about American detective novels. Cain isn't on the syllabus, but I'll add him to my to-read-list. Thanks! I hadn't read a single hard-boiled novel before this course, but they're really enjoyable. Next up after Chandler is Ross Macdonald's "Black Money".

Arksy

Making Your Case: The Art of Persuading Judges - By Antonin Scalia and Bryan Garner. Excellent book on oral advocacy.

Interview With A Vampire - Anne Rice. Girl I'm seeing loves Anne Rice and strongly recommended I read it. It's pretty good so far. I don't think I'd have the stomach to read the entire series, unless this book is particularly good.

Yeah, been traveling for work and doing some other things, so I haven't read much the last week. I'm doing an online English degree, and the course I'm taking right now is about American detective novels. Cain isn't on the syllabus, but I'll add him to my to-read-list. Thanks! I hadn't read a single hard-boiled novel before this course, but they're really enjoyable. Next up after Chandler is Ross Macdonald's "Black Money".

Yeah, I took a summer course in American Popular Genre Fiction and we covered Westerns, Hard-Boiled, Spy, Science Fiction, Horror. Fun stuff. It was definitely the best summer reading I ever did:

Western - "The Virginian" (Owen Wister)
Hard-Boiled/Crime - "The Big Sleep" (Chandler), "Postman always Rings Twice", "Double Indemnity" (Cain)
Spy - "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" (Le Carre)
Sci-Fi - "The Left Hand of Darkness" (Le Guin), "Man in the High Castle" (Philip K. Dick)
Horror - "Salem's Lot" (King)

Attempting to finish reading this again:

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

This time in a new translation. For some reason, the Garnett translation was slowing me down and I just couldn't get into it. Now that I'm reading P&V, it's going much better.

Anyone have preferences in translations here? I know that for Count of Monte Cristo, the translator made a *big* difference.

massoluk

Banned
Not read, but I finished the free (trial) Audible's prologue of Memory of Light. The price they are charging for Kindle version is day light robbery.

That scratched my itch. I thought it would be just a boring prologue chapter. But damn. Shits went down, hell breaks lose pretty damn fast.

Taishar Manetheran.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Blood Meridian or The Evening Redness in the West

aMZMb.jpg

One of my favorite novels ever, just doing a re-read. Love it.

Syrinx

Will finish reading The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde), hopefully by the end of this week. Afterwards, I will choose between Cosmos (Carl Sagan), In The Garden of Beasts (Erik Larson), and The Sirens of Titan (Kurt Vonnegut).

Still reading Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamilton. 9 months now.

But I only have 30 pp left! I might actually be able to post something else in this thread in a couple of days.

One Second After

img3468496920e3011f2.JPG

Is a 2009 fiction novel by American writer William R. Forstchen. The novel deals with an unexpected electromagnetic pulse attack on the United States as it affects the people living in and around the small American town of Black Mountain, North Carolina.

It's really fascinating, within a day people begin dropping like flies, by the end of the first year most the US is gone. Hell, most the town is gone, only 20% of the residents survived the first year. Depressing as all hell.

An-Det

Still kinda big even in the quote, but oh well.

Towers of Midnight

I never technically finished it two years ago (tough for me to get in the time to read physical books), and realizing that A Memory of Light is so close now, I bought the kindle version and have been going through it at a good clip. Some of the names are kinda fuzzy for me for their relevance since it's been so long, but it's like coming home again, jumping back into this world after being away for years, seeing old friends and catching up on the times. Great so far, I'm so glad Sanderson is finishing the series.

I was about halfway through Erikson's Memories of Ice when I picked up ToM. Loving it, but ToM is a bit more time-critical as I dont want to play catchup when AMoL releases. ToM is also an easier read so far, so I'll be back in Genabackis before long.

A random combination of books over the next week, including;

41cT70z%2BRpL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Paul Ekman's 'Emotions Revealed' (non-fiction)

51QyReSutYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

John Milton's 'Paradise Lost' (epic classic poetry)

71G21N1TSFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.gif

Jean-Dominique Bauby's 'The Diving-Bell and the Butterfly' (memoir of a 'locked-in syndrome' sufferer)

41pK7SryHmL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Pat Barker's 'Blow your house down' (thriller based loosely on the Yorkshire Ripper)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Right now I'm reading the third book in the Kostas Jaritos series by Petros Markaris.

If you are into crime and detective novels, the Jaritos series is worth checking out. Much better than Mankell's overrated Wallander that's for sure.

Nymerio

So I've been on vacation and managed to get some reading done. In no particular order:

51NIWVhas5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU03_.jpg
+
51sRG3sX4eL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU03_.jpg

Was an OK read I hope the last book can keep it up and doesn't end in such a disastrous way as the Hunger Games did...

51XM1vwvkLL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU03_.jpg

Great book, Willikins is one of my favourite characters and I love all the nights watch novels.

51cga9q7zFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-69,22_AA300_SH20_OU03_.jpg

Out of this bunch this is probably my favourite book. The setting was something completely new (at least for me), couldn't put it down, I hope there's more to come.

51pFue-d7tL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU03_.jpg

Also pretty great, definitely going to read the other twenty palaces books.

Ezio

About halfway through "The Blinding Knife" by Brent Weeks. Part of the Lightbringer series. So far it's been great, then again I'm a huge fan of his writing style.

Top Bottom