• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2012)

Is Wool worth a read? $1.99 for the Omnibus on Amazon.

Yes, absolutely. I just got finished reading it.

It's a post-apocalyptic story, where humanity is forced to live in these separate underground facilities, "silos," due to the fatal climate of the outside world. No one remembers what outside is like, or what it's like to be outside, and the mere outspoken curiosity of the outside world is punishable by death from those in power. It's the story of a few people daring to challenge the status quo, even if it means losing their freedom or their lives.

Personally, I think it was very well written, with excellent pacing, and entertaining characters (good main ones, but weak secondary characters IMO).

Xena

Last month I finished the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy, and now I have started the next trilogy:

IYe77.jpg

I'm in chapter 5 and I'm loving it so far. Very interesting seeing how Caramon fell apart after these two years while his brother did the opposite. I feel sorry for Tika having to deal with this, while apparently the other heroes of the lance had a good two years...
I'm also intrigued by Kitiara... I keep wondering if she will eventually change sides for good.

I have also got for my kindle RA Salvatore's Homeland and see if I get into the Forgotten Realms novels as well.

Last month I finished the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy, and now I have started the next trilogy:

IYe77.jpg

I'm in chapter 5 and I'm loving it so far. Very interesting seeing how Caramon fell apart after these two years while his brother did the opposite. I feel sorry for Tika having to deal with this, while apparently the other heroes of the lance had a good two years...
I'm also intrigued by Kitiara... I keep wondering if she will eventually change sides for good.

I have also got for my kindle RA Salvatore's Homeland and see if I get into the Forgotten Realms novels as well.

Unfortunately, Legends is where your journey pretty much ends, as everything nose-dives afterwards.

As for RASalvatore, the Icewind Dale and Dark Elf trilogies are money. A few of the books that follow are decent, but the quality starts to go downhill after Servant of the Shard, and never picks up again.

Mumei

That sounds like an endorsement ;)

I have it sitting on my nightstand, so I suppose I don't have an excuse to neglect it any longer. I just hope that it has much more in common with Lolita than Speak, Memory. The latter felt like such a narcissistic exercise in navel-gazing that I couldn't bring myself to finish it. A more apt title might be "Portrait of an Ivory Tower."

Have you read Lolita?

My path through Nabokov so far has run:

Invitation to a Beheading
The Eye
Mary
Lolita
Pale Fire
Pnin

Pale Fire > Lolita > Invitation > Pnin > The Eye > Mary, for my money.

Snowdrift

BsDB8.jpg
P3xkO.jpg

Just finished Caliban's War - James S. A. Corey. I love this series so far, but overall, I enjoyed Leviathan Wakes a bit more.

Started reading The Reality Dysfunction.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Kindle editions of Philip K. dick books are $1.99 today. What do Dick fans recommend? I know The Man in the High Castle frequently shows up in these threads.

NekoFever

I finished Halo: Primordium this morning as part of an effort to get up to date on the Halo fiction before Halo 4. My first Kindle book as well.

It wasn't as good as Cryptum but is better than some of the crappier Halo novels. Kind of meandered for about 2/3 of it before getting really good towards the end, which, funnily enough, is the same complaint I had about The Forge of God from the same author, which I read earlier in the year.

Now that I've got a Kindle, I'm working on some of the ebooks I've picked up in sales over the last year or so. First up is Tokyo Vice.

Hmmm, should I get Leviathan Wakes or The Black Prism? I don't like to get more than one book at a time cause I get tempted to start the other book.

I haven't read The Black Prism (though I think I'll order it now) but I absolutely recommend Leviathan Wakes. Not only is it a great story but it comes with The Dragon's Path, book 1 of the Dagger and Coin series which is really good too.

Kindle editions of Philip K. dick books are $1.99 today. What do Dick fans recommend? I know The Man in the High Castle frequently shows up in these threads.

Too add a bit to this post, here's what is available:

Ubik
Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said
The Man in the High Castle
A Scanner Darkly
The Best of Phillip K Dick
The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
The Exegesis of Phillip K Dick
The Penultimate Truth
Now Wait for Last Year
VALIS
The Simulacra
Eye in the Sky
Counter-Clock World
The Divine Invasion
The Transmigration of Timothy Archer

bengraven

611ElqaQsmL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Really shockingly entertaining book about the grasslands of America. I got it because of my sudden interest in the Pleistocene but it covers the entire history, down to the old west and even into modern small town America. And the narrator is quite entertaining, telling stories of his road trip to all these sometimes ancient, sometimes historic sites.

51G%2Bm-mPbyL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Reading this ^ until I can find a decent encylopedia of N. American prehistoric mammals for a novel I'm writing. It's a fantastic book, though very very sparse, and very very expensive. $80-90 for the hardcover, $70 for the Kindle edition? It's not THAT comprehensive nor researched. It's a 200 page kids book with one badly scanned/chosen black and white pic per animal. It's more of a "fun facts" kind of book than a textbook, which I had assumed it was based on the price.

Don't blame me if I had some people do me favors.

Also, for fun, reading:

51cUYjlsC-L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

51MB4KzloUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

And Sing the Body Electric.

Damn my beloved Bradbury for not putting more of his books in e-book format, though. Even my huge local library only has these books, Something Wicked (which I've read four times) and a couple of his newer novels. I really want to read October Country and The Halloween Tree...wait, maybe in the juvie section...? Talking to myself here...

Mumei

I started reading Mary Stewart's The Last Enchantment a few days ago but haven't really read much since the first day. I quite enjoy it but I've just been enjoying my time off work. I plan on continuing it today.

bengraven

Oh and I finished The Night Circus last week and really really loved it. Which shocked me. I was put off by the "romance novel" comparisons that were being fed into it, plus the black and white gothy imagery associated with the novel. But I fell for the writing and the characters and the circus itself - I didn't want it to end. I was so into it I ended up doing some Twitter messaging back and forth with the author just letting her know how much I loved it - the first I've ever done any kind of correspondence with an author.

I would be cool with a book that was just chapters describing different tents.

But no sequel. No fucking sequel.

Unless it took place in modern times and starred
Bailey and Poppet
, doing nothing to change the ending of the last book.

KZtho.jpg

Gamers At Work

I'm about three quarters of the way through this now.

Reading Gamers at Work makes me glad that I bailed out of the gaming industry when I did more than 10 years ago. I sensed a disruptive change coming that panned out as I envisaged.

The book is an enjoyable read that evokes two emotions in me. Happiness that I dodged the bullet I saw coming and a little sadness that things got worse as I expected.

Jay Sosa

Finished Sagan's Dragons of Eden and am halfway through with this:

a-visit-from-the-goon-squad-cover.jpg

hated it it at first cause it was entirely not what I expected (bought it blindly based on the good reviews) but after I kept reading I started to like it. It's very confusing cause it jumps between characters and time periods but very well written and fun to read.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Bought and read Wool yesterday. I'd give it a 3/5 at best. It's sold as five books, but it's really just one book, with the first part being basically a prologue. It's interesting enough, but I wouldn't have paid more than the kindle daily deal price.

Xena

Wow, thanks for the heads up! I almost bought it this past week because of the Verge book club and the book Ubik! Will definitely pick this one up now!

Koroviev

This is the best sale ever! It's just too bad that "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"-- my personal favorite -- isn't included.

Of those available, I would recommend Ubik and A Scanner Darkly. I think I'm going to pick up Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said and The Man in the High Castle.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Ubik is one of my favorites. The Man in the High Castle is good, I also liked Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said.

I picked quite a few of these that I hadn't read yet - I'm on the edge about the VALIS trilogy though, from what I've heard of it I have the feeling it might be a bit too much for me.

Windam

Scaley member
Just picked up
Iwp8r.jpg

today. Hope it's as good as everyone I know says. Will start reading it sometime later this month when I finish The Hunchback.

Still reading Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamilton. 9 months now.

But I only have 30 pp left! I might actually be able to post something else in this thread in a couple of days.

Finally finished Pandora's Star. Good book but holy Christ get an editor in there stat. That thing could have had about 2/3 of it chopped down. Like slogging through enzyme-bonded concrete.

Picked up Rendezvous With Rama. Figured it was short enough for me to finish it before Abercrombie's Red Country comes out Nov 13.

Just started reading William Blackwell's Phantom Rage which is currently free on the Kindle store for today.

15725008.jpg

Personally, I wasn't a fan of the cover but my friend recommended the book to me and I can't say no to free. I'm only pretty early in but so far it's an enjoyable horror book by a little known author, it's worth checking out.

Link to the book:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008F6GV86/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Other than that? I'm currently reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

BraveNewWorld_FirstEdition.jpg

I'm currently on the 10th Chapter and I'm really enjoying this book right now. It's taken me forever to get around to reading it but I am so glad that I started reading the book, it deserves all of the praise that it gets.
I was surprised at how Bernard countered his exile to Iceland, seriously. I didn't see it coming like that.

Fjordson

Decided to pick up my Kindle for the first time this year in an attempt to get back into reading regularly. It's been a while since I've picked up something that I was able to stick with.

Went to the my unread list and chose the top book - The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie.

Surprisingly enough, it's totally sticking. The characters are by far the strongest aspect of the book. Very interesting POV characters, all with flaws who can be real scumbags in certain situations. The only negative I can think of at the moment is that the world feels slightly...underdeveloped. Like I'm just not getting a strong sense of what this world is like, where certain things and places are, the history of how the society in the book came to be, etc.

Some people are going to roll their eyes at this, but I honestly think the feeling stems from reading A Song of Ice and Fire recently. Not that I'm at all suggesting that ASOIF is the first fantasy series to have a strong setting nor am I suggesting that it's the absolute best, but I just finished Dance With Dragons late last year so it's fresh on my mind. Reading those books, it just feels like Martin has everything single aspect of that universe covered. You learn an obscene amount about what feels like every person and ever place in that world. You also get an incredible amount of history and lore that happened before the books. Sometimes hundreds of years before the books. It really helps bring it all to life.

It's probably an unfair comparison because The Blade Itself seems to simply have a smaller scope than ASOIF, and that's totally fine. Not everything has to be ASOIF. But I guess I'm just really into that epic scale. With The Blade Itself, I feel like I'm missing something in regards to the setting.

Still a very good read so far, though. And to be fair, it's the first book of a trilogy, so I'm sure things will become more fleshed out as the series goes on.

^ That's gonna be my next Kindle book. Thanks to McKenzie 92's recommendation for Abercrombie (and reminder that have The Blade Itself unread on my Kindle) and the fact that I'm hungering for more fantasy after getting caught up in The Dagger and Coin series.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Some people are going to roll their eyes at this, but I honestly think the feeling stems from reading A Song of Ice and Fire recently. Not that I'm at all suggesting that ASOIF is the first fantasy series to have a strong setting nor am I suggesting that it's the absolute best, but I just finished Dance With Dragons late last year so it's fresh on my mind. Reading those books, it just feels like Martin has everything single aspect of that universe covered. You learn an obscene amount about what feels like every person and ever place in that world. You also get an incredible amount of history and lore that happened before the books. Sometimes hundreds of years before the books. It really helps bring it all to life.

I don't think it's that crazy. If there's a fantasy series with a better-developed world than ASOIAF, I surely haven't read it.

Monocle

OoLtI.jpg

The Thursday War by Karen Traviss.

I think Karen Traviss is a thoroughly mediocre writer who imposes her personal morality on characters in a heavy handed manner. Her careless treatment of previously established canon is obnoxious and has reduced my opinion of her work considerably. That said, she's fairly capable at keeping a tangled plot comprehensible and evenly paced, and she enlivens her descriptive passages with entertaining details.

I liked Glasslands enough that I plan to read the full trilogy. Some of Halo's extended universe is dull, especially when the human military is involved, but a lot of the deep lore concerning the Forerunners is really juicy, and so far there's been just enough of it in each book to sustain my interest. Halo novels are always quick reads anyway, so why not?

Just picked up
Iwp8r.jpg

today. Hope it's as good as everyone I know says. Will start reading it sometime later this month when I finish The Hunchback.
I read through that box set, as well as A Dance with Dragons, earlier this year on GAF's recommendation. You're in for one hell of a ride. It's a wonderful series. Not the strongest writing, in all honesty, but packed with unforgettable characters and so much delicious intrigue. The world (so richly realized), the twists (oh, what twists!), and the overarching narrative are some of the best you can find in any fantasy epic. The hype is certainly justified.

Avoid spoilers at all costs! Especially for the later books. Even chapter headings count as spoilers, since you're better off not knowing which characters survive. That means even a peek at a book's table of contents could disclose too much. Trust me on this.

Attempting to finish reading this again:

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1312498065l/5685.jpg
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

This time in a new translation. For some reason, the Garnett translation was slowing me down and I just couldn't get into it. Now that I'm reading P&V, it's going much better.

Anyone have preferences in translations here? I know that for Count of Monte Cristo, the translator made a *big* difference.
P & V produce the best Dostoyevsky translations, bar none.

Blood Meridian or The Evening Redness in the West

aMZMb.jpg

One of my favorite novels ever, just doing a re-read. Love it.
The audiobook is brilliant too. Its narrator absolutely nails the Judge. He draws out the poetry in McCarthy's prose.

Finally finished Pandora's Star. Good book but holy Christ get an editor in there stat.

I would be really interested to know how hands-on editors are in fantasy vs. other genres. It seems to me that 'heft' is seen as nothing but a plus in fantasy - more book = better book (at least as far as fan perception). I'd almost bet my last nickle that fantasy authors struggle far, far less with cuts/general editing than other authors...

Edit: I should throw Sci-fi in there as well, considering that's where Hamilton resides, but I don't think sci-fi suffers (in general) from bloat nearly to the degree that fantasy does...

Daeda

I haven't read The Black Prism (though I think I'll order it now) but I absolutely recommend Leviathan Wakes. Not only is it a great story but it comes with The Dragon's Path, book 1 of the Dagger and Coin series which is really good too.

Ubik
A Scanner Darkly
The Penultimate Truth
Now Wait for Last Year
VALIS
The Simulacra
Eye in the Sky
Counter-Clock World
The Divine Invasion

I personally think his short story collections are the best. But definately read A Scanner Darkly. Its the best drug novel I've read.

Currently reading Cloud Atlas btw

fulsome

Just started The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks. I didn't realize this was going to be more than just a stand-alone book. I'm so glad!

Ubik
A Scanner Darkly
The Penultimate Truth
Now Wait for Last Year
VALIS
The Simulacra
Eye in the Sky
Counter-Clock World
The Divine Invasion

Bolded my favorites.

Save Valis, Divine, Transmigration and Exegesis for when you really fall in love with PKD. His latter books can be pretty heady. Exegesis is about 1,000 pages of philosophical rambling.

Realyn

First book of The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind and so far I hate it. His way of writing is so ... old and full of stereotypes it's not even funny.

Koroviev

Bolded my favorites.

Save Valis, Divine, Transmigration and Exegesis for when you really fall in love with PKD. His latter books can be pretty heady. Exegesis is about 1,000 pages of philosophical rambling.

I ended up getting Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, and Man in the High Castle. I've already read Ubik and A Scanner Darkly, both of which are excellent.

ultron87

Still reading The Blinding Knife. It is alright I guess? Might put it on hold for the new Culture book, The Hydrogen Sonata.

Fjordson

^ That's gonna be my next Kindle book. Thanks to McKenzie 92's recommendation for Abercrombie (and reminder that have The Blade Itself unread on my Kindle) and the fact that I'm hungering for more fantasy after getting caught up in The Dagger and Coin series.
Nice. I definitely think it's worth it. Like I said, great characters, and I've come across some unique twists to the universe that already have me intrigued about the entire series.

I don't think it's that crazy. If there's a fantasy series with a better-developed world than ASOIAF, I surely haven't read it.
Yeah, like reading ASOIF I always have the impression of a big world that continues to exist no matter where the current POV character is currently located. Sometimes in The Blade Itself, I get the feeling that the universe only exists in like a 2 mile bubble around each of the main characters.

First book of The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind and so far I hate it. His way of writing is so ... old and full of stereotypes it's not even funny.

Well, sometimes internet whipping boys really do deserve the abuse. Were you not warned about him ahead of time?

geedundee

Neo Member
Sorry for this read this on holiday. Well worth a read. 50 shades of red white and blue. An Irish piss take of 50 shades.

And here bes me, they don't call me Maggie muff for nathin!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Nice set of finds at Half Price Books today -

The Long Earth - $8.92
The Left Hand of Darkness - $3.39
The Shadow of the Wind - $2.12

Only went in looking for about 4 things so that's a much better hit rate than I normally have.

Top Bottom