• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2012)

peakish

I just finished Never let me go by Kazuo Ishiguro and really enjoyed it. Partly because the setting reminds me of tons of YA novels I read as a kid about schools on the English countrysixe, but it's got a dark undercurrent running alongside the entire way which made it very interesting. In short, it begins with following the life of a girl and her friends growing up in the school, knowing that they're different from their teachers and that they're futures are set. I liked how the novel flowed, revealing detail after detail about the setting and characters in a very natural way. It was easy to feel with the characters trying to make what they could with what they had: love and friendship, equal parts good and bad. The ending hit me quite hard after that.

Also finally got hold of an Earthsea novel, The farthest shore. I enjoyed it a lot and will be checking out more of Le Guin from my library.

Windam

Scaley member
uhvEu.jpg

Have to read this for English class. The first 40 pages so far have been terribly boring (my French teacher was right about this). Here's hoping it picks up soon as I have no idea what Flemish ambassadors have to contribute to the story right now (all I wanna know is when Quasimodo and Esmeralda come in :/).

Lear

I'm halfway through By Nightfall by Michael Cunningham and i'm not particularly enjoying it. I loved The Hours deeply, but this just isn't working for me. It's collapsing under the weight of its literary allusions (Ulysses, Middlemarch, Death in Venice & The Portrait of a Lady within the first 30 pages or so, and there are probably more I haven't picked up on) so it feels like he has nothing interesting or original to say. Mostly it has failed to move me beyond slight dislike for the main character. Plus it's another gay novel where a middle-aged man falls madly love with a young, beautiful man and I'm just utterly bored by that particular trope. I'll probably plough through the rest of it tonight and move onto something more interesting.

Here is my goodreads profile if people are interested in seeing what I've been reading so far this year. I didn't have time for any fiction until my Finals were finished with in June, so I've been devouring anything i get my hands on ever since.

FnordChan

51kDC%2BtYq1L.jpg

I recently finished Caleb Carr's The Alienist, which I enjoyed quite a bit. When I mentioned reading it last month, Mumei commented that they felt like Carr was trying too hard, and while I wouldn't argue overly with that comment I don't entirely agree with it. The structure of the novel is an account of serial killings in Manhattan in 1896 being recounted in 1919, so if the prose style is a bit overwrought at times, I think it's a reasonable attempt to capture the writing style of the era. I certainly thought of Lovecraft (though not nearly as florid) in the descriptions of horrific events throughout the novel. Prose aside, I thought that the plot was compelling (if not absolutely engrossing), I liked the characters, and I absolutely loved the setting and the way the characters used cutting edge knowledge of the era to track the serial killer. All in all, a fine novel, if not a perfect one, and I think I'll pick up The Angel of Darkness in the not too distant future. Also, for the record, I very much want to travel back in time and dine at Delmonico's.

51z%2BGr28P%2BL.jpg

While I'm still intending on reading more Westlake in the near future, a friend of mine positively raved about Seanan McGuire's Discount Armageddon, which is the first novel in the InCryptid series, even if none of the other novels have actually been published yet. The schtick here is that our heroine comes from a long line of cryptozoologists who study all the supernatural creatures of myth and legend that secretly live in our world. This puts them at odds with the fanatical Covenant who is trying to wipe out these creatures and this job puts our heroine at odds with her dreams of being a professional ballroom dancer. I'm a third of the way through the novel and so far it's all very pleasant in a lighthearted urban fantasy sort of way, with our long suffering heroine experiencing the stress if not the joys of life in NYC while fending off an uptight Covenant member who has come along to kick the plot into gear and generally being a badass ninja chica. (Also, in case you're wondering, she has a job as a waitress in a joint ala The Flying Saucer that explains her attire on the cover.)

The competitive dancing subplots help keep the tone suitably fluffy and there's a group of religious mice living in our heroine's apartment that are pretty fantastic. So, like I said, it's all very pleasant and I'm hoping enough hooks are in place by the end of the novel that I'll be looking forward to the already announced sequel. By the way, I had no idea who Seanan McGuire was, but apparently she won the Campbell award in 2010 for the first novel in her October Daye series (which I've already tucked away in my Amazon wishlist) and she's won the Pegasus award for filking a number of times in recent years, so she basically sounds just like my kind of author.

FnordChan

Mumei

I finished His Dark Materials. It was a bit, shall we say, transparent and preachy towards the end, but I still quite enjoyed it.

51kDC%2BtYq1L.jpg

I recently finished Caleb Carr's The Alienist, which I enjoyed quite a bit. When I mentioned reading it last month, Mumei commented that they felt like Carr was trying too hard, and while I wouldn't argue overly with that comment I don't entirely agree with it. The structure of the novel is an account of serial killings in Manhattan in 1896 being recounted in 1919, so if the prose style is a bit overwrought at times, I think it's a reasonable attempt to capture the writing style of the era. I certainly thought of Lovecraft (though not nearly as florid) in the descriptions of horrific events throughout the novel. Prose aside, I thought that the plot was compelling (if not absolutely engrossing), I liked the characters, and I absolutely loved the setting and the way the characters used cutting edge knowledge of the era to track the serial killer. All in all, a fine novel, if not a perfect one, and I think I'll pick up The Angel of Darkness in the not too distant future. Also, for the record, I very much want to travel back in time and dine at Delmonico's.

I gratefully accept the rebuke. ;)

And yes, Delmonico's did sound absolutely lovely. It was one of the things I looked up from the novel to see if it was real!

sgossard

Just finished

601239.jpg

And I liked it a lot but I think I liked The Colour of Magic a bit more.

Started this one

13235689.jpg

Only 3 chapters in but... man, can he write. Had great expectations about it and they've been surpassed. Informative and entertaining.

O.DOGG

Just finished reading this:
518Z9GWz4JL._SS500_.jpg

It was excellent. Not quite as good as Childhood's End but way up there. I guess I should be happy that I'm now discovering the genius of Arthur Clarke and have more of his classics left to read for the first time.

Not sure what I'll start reading next. I'm thinking The Count of Monte Cristo but it's October, and... Anyone care to recommend me a spooky book to read around Halloween this year?

The Gun Seller - $1.99
The Black Prism - $1.99
Leviathan Wakes (w/bonus book The Dragon's Path) - $1.99

Awesome deals, thanks for posting. Also picked up The Sisters Brothers.

Also, +1 for The Alienist. My favorite serial killer mystery book ever. Angel of Darkness isn't as good in my opinion, but still worth a read.

Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton

Started out kinda slow, but now it's cooking. Enjoying it very much.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Need some sci-fi book about 300 pages long which is not overwritten. The book must be good (Nebula-Hugo nominee preferably). Please recommend something! I'm tired of 600 pages bricks written in baroque style.

Fou-Lu

Nothing, and I don't understand why. I love reading, it's probably my favorite hobby, but I can't get myself to sit down and just read anymore.

noobasuar

Banned
Finished:

Enders Game by Orson Scott Card- Pretty good story. Didn't realize it had a ton of sequels. Are they worth checking out?

Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby Jr.- Not much different than the movie but it was cool to see all the character's fleshed out more.

East of Eden by John Steinbeck- Awesome book. I really like his writing style and defiantly want to read more books made by him.

Currently Reading:

Gun's Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond
The Gambler by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

FnordChan

Need some sci-fi book about 300 pages long which is not overwritten. The book must be good (Nebula-Hugo nominee preferably). Please recommend something! I'm tired of 600 pages bricks written in baroque style.

Why, that sounds like yet another opportunity to pimp Lois Bujold! Check out Falling Free, which won the Nebula award, has a Kindle edition available, and clocks in at an estimated 235 pages. It's about genetically engineered humans with an extra set of arms in place of legs who have been created to work in 0-G environments and what happens when their lives get very complicated.

FnordChan

Finished up this last night:

under-the-dome-1.jpg

Pretty damn good. Was hoping for
a more violent end to Big Jim Rennie
but was still satisfied with how everything wrapped up.

Started this on my way to work today:

13083038.jpg

Was tossing up between this and 11/22/63 but wanted to get back into the Dark Tower while the events of book 2 are still fresh.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
hq7P6m.jpg

Just finished The Devotion of Suspect X. As somebody who generally passes by thrillers and mysteries, I rather enjoyed the book, and while there are a few rather unbelievable ideas involved to make the plot fully work, the conclusion was satisfying nonetheless. I'll probably check out Salvation of a Saint when it hits the Kindle Store this month.

Angry Fork

Memories of Lenin memoir by his wife. Only 1 library in Manhattan had the volume up to 1917 and I'll have to go to another which may not lend it out for 1918-death.

41txyrnNdnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Gullivers Travels

Read-Gulliver%2527s-Travels-online.jpg

Manik

200px-The_Bonehunters_1st_ed.jpg

New favorite book series. After trying to start Gardens of the Moon for 3 years, I'm finally addicted

Ditto. I'm 25% of the way through TBH so far and loving every minute of it. It's so amazing going back to all these great characters after the book-long break that was Midnight Tides (even if it was a good book in its own right).

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
This just showed up yesterday. I dig Cory Doctorow's YA fiction.

1OEJj.jpg

His YA fiction to me pretty much just feels like a dump of technology posts from BoingBoing being used by a bunch of kids that are WAY too perfect at what they do against some terribly stereotypical villains. Not a fan at all, which is sad because I used to like his other novels.

Bazza

going through the Richard Castle books at the moment, not the greatest but i love castle and the books add something to the TV show.

Well, received this wednesday, needed it for school.

41h24aMmK3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

But except for the entirety of the appendices I'm pretty much done with it. Quite a short read but fairly interesting. After that I'll finish the book I was reading before that, and have been reading for quite a while now. Have read fairly little the past few months so I'm already somewhat around four months busy with this book. But it should be done in a week or so.

Endymion.jpg

After that I'll probably do the Halo Forerunner saga before Halo 4 releases.

Any recommendations for some really great fantasy on Kindle? Preferrably similar to ASOIAF?

BONUS: Autumn setting

Have you read any Abercrombie? His stuff is the first that comes to mind in being similar to Martin for me. I haven't read a ton in the genre though.

Koroviev

"Lolita" is such a sad novel. I'm not rereading it in its entirety, but it's really very tragic, especially the themes of alienation and exile :(

I think I might read Nabokov's "Pale Fire" next.

I haven't been able to focus on any one book lately, so I've mostly just been revisiting old favorites.

Nymerio

Sounds about right, storm of swords is amazing. Depending on how much reading time you can get away with, I guess you could do it even faster. I think I did it in two days on my second read. Enjoy it, it's definitely the best book so far in the series.

Edit: Started this a few days ago. Liking it so far.

51qvNyCplnL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-70,22_AA300_SH20_OU03_.jpg

Mumei

"Lolita" is such a sad novel. I'm not rereading it in its entirety, but it's really very tragic, especially the themes of alienation and exile :(

I think I might read Nabokov's "Pale Fire" next.

I haven't been able to focus on any one book lately, so I've mostly just been revisiting old favorites.

Pale Fire is amazing! One the best, if not the best, books I read last year - or ever.

Koroviev

Pale Fire is amazing! One the best, if not the best, books I read last year - or ever.

That sounds like an endorsement ;)

I have it sitting on my nightstand, so I suppose I don't have an excuse to neglect it any longer. I just hope that it has much more in common with Lolita than Speak, Memory. The latter felt like such a narcissistic exercise in navel-gazing that I couldn't bring myself to finish it. A more apt title might be "Portrait of an Ivory Tower."

Have you read Lolita?

Top Bottom