• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
Started reading Good Omens. My first Pratchett book so hopefully if I like, I will start reading the Discworld series after.

iHTyhUa.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Started reading Good Omens. My first Pratchett book so hopefully if I like, I will start reading the Discworld series after.

iHTyhUa.jpg

Yussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Fxp

Struggling with Caleb Carr's "The Alienist". I like the setting and the characters but somehow I can't read more than 10+ pages in one sitting.

besada

Banned
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. Good shit. I feel like I would've enjoyed it even more if I were more familiar with the history. I mean, I know who Henry VIII is and I know what will happen to Anne Boleyn, but I had no clue who Thomas Cromwell was, have never seen the typical dramatic productions where Thomas More is a heroic figure and Cromwell is a villain who only cares about money and power, so the subversion was lost on me. But that aside, the writing is terrific and the characters really come to life. Great book.

I'm reading it now, but I'm beginning to suspect she's in the process of white-washing Cromwell's history.

TheWraith

Since the cover for Republic of Thieves is so goddamn cool, I just had to pick up the series and start reading it. From the blurbs it sounds like young-adult-novels which made me a bit skeptical at first. I started reading The Lies of Locke Lamore on my commute home from work today and am currently just after the prologue. I got stuck immediately. So fantastically good. So good I actually cant wait for tomorrows commute to work just so I can continue it!

Well I hope you already saw it's definitely not Young Adult stuff. Enjoy, you're in for a great time!

phaze

ICm7BsA.jpg

Finally finished it. A very good book with emphasis on personal accounts and experiences of combatants. However it covers only the preparation and the first day of Operation Michael. One needs to look for something else to get a full treatment.

Don't know if anyone hear read the Witcher books but a new one just got announced and goes into sale next month. Sapkowski is selling out, he promised he would never touch Geralt again. :lol

A Season of Storms: The Witcher would be the direct translation I think.

This might be the wrong thread but has anyone read or planning on reading Radical: My Journey out of Islamist Extremism by Maajid Nawaz? Or the British version released last year named Radical: My Journey from Islamist Extremism to a Democratic Awakening? I just heard an interview with him on Charlie Rose today and it made me really interested in picking up his book and I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with it. Thanks!

Donthizz#

Just finished OUTLAW by Angus Donald

It's the first of a Robin Hood series told from the perspective of Alan Dale where Robin is more of a ruthless infamous guerrilla leader instead of a merry thief. Highly recommended! All the famous characters are there, but non of the clichés :)

thanks for this, will give it a try.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
So I'm starting Gravity's Rainbow, I've always wanted to read some Pynchon but never had the chance so I'm interested to see how that goes. So far it's interesting, such long sentences with so many clauses lol. I find it much easier to read if you just read everything at a breakneck pace and only start worrying about it not making sense once you get to the end of a sentence. I think I like it though, we'll see how it holds up for 700 pages.

I recently took a second run at Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart and still couldn't get past 100 pages. I really don't like that book. The satire doesn't work for me - theoretically it should, but in practice it's all too... realistic? The only thing that really got me was the ridiculous corporation names, but their novelty wears off quickly. And I hate the first person in that book. It feels like some kind of self-insertion fan-fic or something (awkward middle aged Jew in NYC writes about awkward middle aged Jew in NYC-- in the future). Bleh. At first I thought it was a problem with me, but now I have decided that I just don't like the book.

I'm literally reading like 20+books right now. I've got more than 20 more waiting to be read. I need to stop buying books and start finishing them.

Right now I'm reading The Long Walk by Stephen King, writing as Richard Bachmann. King is an immensely talented writer with some bad writing habits. I'm liking this one a lot so far.

I think the first novel of The Dark Tower might be the best (long) piece of fiction I've read of his so far. I'm also on the last book of that series, which is wildly uneven (the series as a whole). I wish it all would have turned out as great as The Gunslinger.

I also discovered William Gibson since the last time I posted in one of these threads. What a phenomenal writer, in any genre. I'm on the last book of his most recent trilogy, and so far I think, while his first trilogy contains his best book--Neuromancer, surprise surprise--his second trilogy is the strongest overall. But I'm loving the third as well.

And in other scifi-related reading, I powered through Dan Simmons's Hyperion Cantos a while back. The first two books are mind-blowing, and the latter two are very good, but Simmons apparently has a bad habit of retconning in sequels, and that really hurt the experience for me in those last books. Looking forward to more from him, though.

jacobs34

Have you ever read Kockroach by Tyler Knox? A great literate noir novel that inverts the Metamorphosis in a different way. Thanks for that link, by the way.

I have not, but I'll add it to my "to-read" list. Thanks for the recommendation.

Done with Republic of Thieves. Please don't make me wait that long again, Lynch.

So, Sabetha eh? Kinda tired of her shit by the end of the book, but the Bastards are best when they're all together. So I'm more than a little disappointed that we're going to be starting yet another sequel with just Locke and Jean.

Not really keen on bringing back the Falconer either. Feels like a trope. Oh well.

I enjoyed the book despite the bitching, just didn't care for the last little bit.

kaiju

Currently reading: Crab Monsters, Teenage Cavemen, and Candy Stripe Nurses: Roger Corman: King of the B-movie

http://www.amazon.com/Monsters-Teenage-Cavemen-Stripe-Nurses/dp/1419706691/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382762953&sr=1-1&keywords=roger+corman

Great history of all the movies Corman was involved with, and all of the people that went on to have great careers in the film industry thanks to him.

Best part so far is reading about how James Cameron started as just a modeler for Corman, but made his way up to art director all during the same movie. That right there gives you a glimpse at how talented Cameron was.

Also love this quote from Bill Paxton: "Jim and I were working side by side, and he started to tell me about this screenplay he was writing. And I'll never forget, he said, 'It's about a cyborg from the future that comes back to the present to kill the woman who's going to give birth to a son who, in the future, is going to lead a revolution against the machines.' And I was like, 'Far out, what are you going to call it?' He said, 'I'm going to call it The Terminator.'"

The book is beautifully illustrated with tons of movie posters and production shots throughout. This is the actual cover behind the dust jacket:

lot111_zpsc5a8c225.jpg

Ceebs

Has anyone here ever read any of the Ethan Gage novels? I stumbled across them in a bookstore and thought they looked interesting.

After making my way through Joe Abercrombie's First Law series of books over the past couple of months, I've been looking forward to more good fantasy. I just finished reading The Eye of the World, the first Wheel of Time book by Robert Jordan. I never really knew anything about the series except that it was really long & taking a long time to get finished, much like another popular fantasy series.

I greatly enjoyed it.
There weren't really a lot of surprises, Rand being the one Ba'alzamon was after seemed obvious enough but I don't think it was supposed to be a mystery. Perrin's wolfbrother thing came out of nowhere after meeting Elyas, but I liked his growth afterwards. A good part of it is shown through his POV and you see the results clearly when he meets back up with Rand. It isn't developed much between the boys after that, but there wasn't a whole lot of time. Looking forward to how it develops.

I'm wondering if Mat gets his own thing to keep up with the Dragon and the Wolf, or if that's just his cursed dagger. Like the other journeys, it was clear what the dagger was doing but his slide into paranoia was gradual and well done. It seemed to jump forward a bit at the end from super paranoid to bed-ridden and murderous, but it had been going on long enough I was pretty much just waiting for him to flip out.

The only thing I missed was that Rand seemed pretty sure Ba'alzamon is dead, but the preview chapter implies otherwise. Which makes sense, since there's another 13 books or however many. Did I miss something there or is this explained later?

I've got books 2 and 3 coming in the mail, should hopefully have them on Monday or Tuesday. I know the general opinion seems to be they become a slog somewhere in the middle before picking up again for the final few, is it as bad as people say?

Krowley

After making my way through Joe Abercrombie's First Law series of books over the past couple of months, I've been looking forward to more good fantasy. I just finished reading The Eye of the World, the first Wheel of Time book by Robert Jordan. I never really knew anything about the series except that it was really long & taking a long time to get finished, much like another popular fantasy series.

I greatly enjoyed it.
There weren't really a lot of surprises, Rand being the one Ba'alzamon was after seemed obvious enough but I don't think it was supposed to be a mystery. Perrin's wolfbrother thing came out of nowhere after meeting Elyas, but I liked his growth afterwards. A good part of it is shown through his POV and you see the results clearly when he meets back up with Rand. It isn't developed much between the boys after that, but there wasn't a whole lot of time. Looking forward to how it develops.

I'm wondering if Mat gets his own thing to keep up with the Dragon and the Wolf, or if that's just his cursed dagger. Like the other journeys, it was clear what the dagger was doing but his slide into paranoia was gradual and well done. It seemed to jump forward a bit at the end from super paranoid to bed-ridden and murderous, but it had been going on long enough I was pretty much just waiting for him to flip out.

The only thing I missed was that Rand seemed pretty sure Ba'alzamon is dead, but the preview chapter implies otherwise. Which makes sense, since there's another 13 books or however many. Did I miss something there or is this explained later?

I've got books 2 and 3 coming in the mail, should hopefully have them on Monday or Tuesday. I know the general opinion seems to be they become a slog somewhere in the middle before picking up again for the final few, is it as bad as people say?

Path of Daggers and Crossroads of Twilight are pretty dodgy, especially Crossroads. Winter's Heart and Crown of Swords are decent but not as good as the rest of the series. Even the worst books have some very good sections, and it's not pure torture to read them or anything. They just get bogged down in trivial crap.

I did resort to chapter summaries for certain parts of Crossroads during my recent reread, and it was a wise decision. I would recommend you do the same if you have problems. The books at the end are worth getting to.

Boozeroony

Posting here for a sub, but I'm currently reading Asimov's Prelude to Foundation. My first Asimov and it will certainly not be my last.

Just finished Ania Ahlborn's Seed. Overall a meh. Started out pretty good, and the author shows a great touch with the family, the dialog with the kids. Spoilery stuff:
The middle becomes tortuous as I just wanted to ring the father's neck. The ending was brutal and while I applaud the author for going that route, it seriously bummed me out.

Moving on to Bourne's Day by Day Armageddon to wrap up my month of horror.

Speed-read through the ending of this last night:

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

Very entertaining easy satire. When I read the writer also writes for Arrested Development, it all made sense. Don't let the chick-lit-like cover throw you off because it's actually pretty good. Not high literature, but if you enjoy Portlandia and making fun of 1%-ers, give this book a try.

Had a big list this past six months.

Roubles In Words, Kopeks in Figures, a collection of Vasilii Shukshin's short stories.

Land Without Ghosts : Chinese Impressions of America from the Mid-Nineteenth Century to the Present

Fall of Giants, part one of a trilogy

CCNP Routing and Switching Library (a real page turner)

No One Writes to the Colonel (collection of short stories)

Things Fall Apart

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

Mother Night (Only Vonnegut I've read)

The Lower Depths

The Master and Margarita

Budapest Noir

Siberia on Fire: Stories and Essays (similar "village prose" akin to Roubles in Words)

The Left Hand of Darkness

Divided World Divided Class

Good Women of China

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

Book Two complete!

Does any other sprawling fantasy series match this one's tremendous pacing and characters?

So eager to just jump into the third book, but I'm gonna give it some time. Maybe read another novel in the meanwhile. Maybe not.

Weiss

Banned
Finished reading John Dies at the End. One of the funniest things I've ever read, and a perfect balance of horror and comedy.

thomaser

Been reading several of Oscar Wilde's shorter stories: Lord Arthur Savile's Crime, The Canterville Ghost, The Sphinx Without a Secret, The Model Millionaire and The Young King. The first two are quite amusing, but I wouldn't call any of them essential reads.

jtb

Banned
Any opinions on this annotated edition of Lolita? Any others? I like reading annotations and would prefer the most thorough version.

EDIT: Oh, stupid me. It's not even out yet. Anyway, the question stands.

I would read Nabokov without anyone explaining it to you. It's really about what you think. Especially Pale Fire.

Totally agreed. I think Nabokov is very accessible, and for the first read through, you might want to have a dictionary nearby, but beyond that, I wouldn't recommend reading it w/ annotations. They're not necessary at all.

TTG

Book podcasts, how do they work?

Seriously, I'm looking for recommendations. Do a lot of these predominantly cover new releases or feature author interviews or readings? Because I'm not looking for any of that. Something where I can discover books, hear some commentary on my favorites. Preferably a podcast that's been around for a while, a substantial amount of past episodes to browse. Any ideas?

Mr.Swag

Banned
Just started "The Shining". Only SK novel I've read is 11/22/63, which was really solid.

Don't like it so far tho. Never been a fan of the supernatural, but I do want to finish it

Finished Patrick DeWitt's The Sisters Brothers, thanks GAF for the recommendation. Really fun read, reminded me of Elmore Leonard westerns.

Now just in time for Halloween I'm starting Ira Levin's Rosemary's Baby.

Totally agreed. I think Nabokov is very accessible, and for the first read through, you might want to have a dictionary nearby, but beyond that, I wouldn't recommend reading it w/ annotations. They're not necessary at all.

Especially Pale Fire, which is all about choosing how you want to read it and coming to your own conclusion about what happened. I wish I hadn't even read any theories on it after finishing it and just stuck with what I did/thought.

This last week iv finished...
Warhammer Spacemarine Battles: Rynns World. Started this last month but only finished it this week.
Dexters Final Cut
Descent of Angels (6th Horus Heresy book)

Onto the next Horus Heresy book now, Legion :)

Book podcasts, how do they work?

Seriously, I'm looking for recommendations. Do a lot of these predominantly cover new releases or feature author interviews or readings? Because I'm not looking for any of that. Something where I can discover books, hear some commentary on my favorites. Preferably a podcast that's been around for a while, a substantial amount of past episodes to browse. Any ideas?

Bookrageous is good, but they mostly cover books that aren't out yet because they all work in publishing in some way. It also comes out about once a month, if that. They usually spend the first half talking about what they're currently reading, which is mostly not released, then they use the last half for some kind of topic. Overall it's pretty good, it's been the only one I've liked so far.

RangerX

Banned
I'm currently reading Robert fisks The great war for civilisation: the conquest of the middle east. Its an excellant read but there is such a tragic history to that region. Basically non-stop interference form western powers.

hEist

so, i've done reading 14. i would give it a 3 of 5. The book itself was fine, but somehow was disappointed about the ending.

started yesterday The Bone Season and already 40% into it.
so far it got his up and downs.

still, would love to hear more recommendations like 14 or similar mysterious ones.

so, i've done reading 14. i would give it a 3 of 5. The book itself was fine, but somehow was disappointed about the ending.

started yesterday The Bone Season and already 40% into it.

so far it got his up and downs.

still, would love to hear more recommendations like 14 or similar mysterious ones.
Me too. I'd like some good ghost stories.

Bazza

Read Temeraire and Throne of Jade this weekend, quite enjoyed them. After reading this books its pretty clear I enjoy books that feature sentient creatures/robots/ships, whether its Dragons or super intelligent ships (The Culture) I like seeing how authors write for a character that isn't humanoid.

TripOpt55

Just finished Dreams of Steel, book five of The Black Company series. I have been reading through them via the Books of the North/South compilations, so I guess next is the spin-off for me. Not sure if I am going to jump into that or take a break for another book at the moment. I still have 1984 unread here and want to do that soon too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom