• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Make sure to visit this month's GAF Book Club thread owned and operated by everyone's favorite moderator, Cyan! The book for September/October is ... "If on a winter's night a traveler" by Italo Calvino

If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Horror Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Non-western literature
Novels with great world building

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books
Epic Fantasy
Fantasy Literature
Post-apocalpytic Books
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
fannovel.png

Although at the moment Mr. Darcy is still in the smouldering phase.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Still reading Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.

YuzXowE.jpg

On a remote, icy planet, the soldier known as Breq is drawing closer to completing her quest.

Breq is both more than she seems and less than she was. Years ago, she was the Justice of Toren--a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of corpse soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy.

An act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with only one fragile human body. And only one purpose--to revenge herself on Anaander Mianaai, many-bodied, near-immortal Lord of the Radch.

It's a lot of fun. The two concurrent storylines, a thousand years apart, but featuring the same POV character/narrator, offer different experiences/pacing/atmoshere that really makes it hard to put the book down. Also, the main character is a genderless AI hosted in a human female body that doesn't differentiate gender, so refers to everyone as 'she/her' as default, despite sometimes identifying them as male. Very good so far, lots of big SF ideas.

Just started Brilliance by Marcus Sakey.

So far its pretty good. Definitely a nice change of pace from everything else I have been reading.

Protein

Banned
This is one long book. There's a feeling of dread and hopelessness throughout. I'm about 450 pages into it so far.

the_terror.large.jpg

The men on board HMS Terror have every expectation of finding the Northwest Passage. But as another winter approaches, a Terror on the ice stalks them southward. Crozier and his men begin to fear there is no escape. A haunting, gripping story based on actual historical events, The Terror is a novel that will chill you to your core.

Removed potential spoilers from the synopsis. Wouldn't recommend reading the actual synopsis on Amazon. I thought it gave too much away about the expedition. Best to go in fresh.

ShaneB

Protein

Banned
Books I hope to start soon:

home_book_cvrptljy.jpg

Once in a great while a book comes along that changes the way we see the world and helps to fuel a nationwide social movement. The New Jim Crow is such a book. Praised by Harvard Law professor Lani Guinier as "brave and bold," this book directly challenges the notion that the election of Barack Obama signals a new era of colorblindness. With dazzling candor, legal scholar Michelle Alexander argues that "we have not ended racial caste in America; we have merely redesigned it." By targeting black men through the War on Drugs and decimating communities of color, the U.S. criminal justice system functions as a contemporary system of racial control—relegating millions to a permanent second-class status—even as it formally adheres to the principle of colorblindness. In the words of Benjamin Todd Jealous, president and CEO of the NAACP, this book is a "call to action."

Called "stunning" by Pulitzer Prize–winning historian David Levering Lewis, "invaluable" by the Daily Kos, "explosive" by Kirkus, and "profoundly necessary" by the Miami Herald, this updated and revised paperback edition of The New Jim Crow, now with a foreword by Cornel West, is a must-read for all people of conscience.

the_swarm_us_coverpjzdo.jpg

Around the world, countries are beginning to feel the effects of the ocean's revenge as the seas and their inhabitants begin a violent revolution against mankind. At stake is the survival of the Earth's fragile ecology—and ultimately, the survival of the human race itself.

The apocalyptic catastrophes of The Day After Tomorrow meet the watery menace of The Abyss in this gripping, scientifically realistic, and utterly imaginative thriller.

This is one long book. There's a feeling of dread and hopelessness throughout. I'm about 450 pages into it so far.

the_terror.large.jpg

Removed potential spoilers from the synopsis. Wouldn't recommend reading the actual synopsis on Amazon. I thought it gave too much away about the expedition. Best to go in fresh.

Always thought that sounded pretty interesting. May check it out next.

Just finished Doctor Sleep today, it was pretty good. Hoping he and Peter Straub get around to writing a third Talisman someday.

Empty

currently reading these two. them both being by catholic writers is coincidental.

muAFkZvGiRyg5627RhbP-Vg.jpg

greene's prose is wonderful and the story moves at a nice tick but it's only just starting to explore the more interesting catholic guilt themes. about 100 pages in.

flanneryoconnorcompletestories.jpg

read a few of these so far. they're good, i like how much rich detail she seems to pack into each story and the sad characters seem true to life. there's one about someone trying to argue politics at a barber which perfectly captures the failure of every political debate i've ever had in public haha. that said there's lots of coarse racist language, as the people she depicts are pretty racist, which can be quite shocking to my system.

fakefaker

Still happily plowing through The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas. I'm at page 686 and still have over half the book to go. Time for bed.

477380.jpg

Tenrius

Hey, what's up? It's been a while since I last posted in one of these threads.

My summer wasn't particularly rich with reading: after finishing David Hollow (which was pretty decent), I reread some Harry Potter books and that was basically it.

As for present time, I'm reading Wool by Hugh Howey. Grabbed the first novel way back when it was free, got the rest of them recently. It's pretty gripping, gives you that great Fallout vibe and has a good sense of mystery, too.

Hugh_C_Howey_Wool_Omnibus.jpg

leroidys

YB3FzWk.jpg

I'm about 80 pages in right now and it's really good so far. The only other books I've read by Mishima are After the Banquet, which was good, and The Temple of the Golden Pavillion, which was amazing.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm about 80 pages in right now and it's really good so far. The only other books I've read by Mishima are After the Banquet, which was good, and The Temple of the Golden Pavillion, which was amazing.

Been meaning to read Mishima for years. Temple of the Golden Pavilion is a good place to start, I take it?

relaxor

what?
Kate Beaton rules.

$(KGrHqUOKnQE4S1e9lFcBOOFmj!+Wg~~_35.JPG

I am just about done rereading this nice book. He's a British writer who was allowed into the USSR during the early Khrushchev thaw years and there are a few quips from characters he meets - it is a road piece. It reads as an editorial on the mid 50's political transition from Stalin to ultimately Khrushchev but mostly it's about the national character of the Soviets, how we in the West misunderstand their peoplehood, particularly during the crushing Stalin years. Interesting to read now as well because it contains that Khrushchevian optimism in the future, that the USSR was going to overtake the USA by 1970, and all the undertones of the beginning of the space age. It's short and snappy. Good read.

0140445145.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Been reading this at work, still in Twilight of the Idols. As usual Nietzche is being a troll, this time to middling effect. His formal argument against the Platonic and Christian perceived vs hidden 'real world' mixup is persuasive and orderly. Worth it for his discussion of Athens. In later chapters he just lists his favorite philosophers, art, music, and references himself a lot. Nietzche slagging of all things woman is a drag, there's always something terrible in each of the books of his I've read. I like his writing a lot though.

ymmv

Banned
51vtCE4P-FL.jpg

This book has the feel of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series, since it also has a Anglo Saxon viking as the protagonist. So far I'd rate the Cornwell books higher, faster paced, more humor and action, but I'm less than 100 pages in and it's been mostly introduction. I think I'm getting to the part where the the real plot begins.

Roflobear

About 60 pages into this:

Inside-Delta-Force-Haney-Eric-L-9780385339360.jpg

I'm sure a lot of the stuff in these kinds of books are embellished a lot, but I love these military novels. Hope this one's as good as Howard Wasdin's SEAL Team Six book

NekoFever

I bought this when the Kindle version went on sale recently:

9766063gejve.jpg

It's quite good so far. Better written than most game novels and provides some interesting background. I've heard it gets a bit drier and more mechanical when it starts to follow the events of the game more closely but I'll have to wait and see.

hEist

Finally finished the The Song of Ice and Fire-Series and i don't know, how i will be able to wait 2-3years for the next chapter.

Also read Ender's Game finally. 4 of 5 stars i would give it.

Started to read The Hedge Knight (german junction of "The Hedge Knight", "The Sworn Sword" and "The Mystery Knight")

After that i wanted to read the 2nd of the wool series and the trilogy of Dan Wells Mr. Monster series.

Zhengi

I'm about to finish A Study in Scarlet that I started in September and will continue to read all the stories of Sherlock until the end.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Finishing up Hyperion. I've had it on my kindle for ages but never got around to as the first couple of pages just didn't draw me in at all. I am very glad I gave it another shot, really really loving this book and I'm excited for the last 1/4. Are the sequels worth reading? How connected are they to the first? (without spoiling anything).

phoenixyz

Finishing up Hyperion. I've had it on my kindle for ages but never got around to as the first couple of pages just didn't draw me in at all. I am very glad I gave it another shot, really really loving this book and I'm excited for the last 1/4. Are the sequels worth reading? How connected are they to the first? (without spoiling anything).
The Fall of Hyperion is really great and pretty much directly connected. Do not read the Endymion books. They are really bad, at least in my opinion. They ruined the two Hyperion books (at least in part) for me.

NekoFever

I loved Hyperion when I read it earlier this year, particularly the Scholar's Tale. You'll definitely want to read Fall of Hyperion when you reach the end. I'll say no more than that.

Jag

This book has the feel of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series, since it also has a Anglo Saxon viking as the protagonist. So far I'd rate the Cornwell books higher, faster paced, more humor and action, but I'm less than 100 pages in and it's been mostly introduction. I think I'm getting to the part where the the real plot begins.

I'm just about finishing Long Ships and it has given me the itch to go a-viking. Let us know what you think when you finish.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I have three Vonnegut novels on my kindle that I want to read: "Sirens of Titan", "Slaughterhouse Fve" and "Jailbird".
I fell in love with Vonnegut after I read Cats Cradle and breakfast of champions. His books are always on sale for kindle users, so this collection has only cost me around $15

I have three Vonnegut novels on my kindle that I want to read: "Sirens of Titan", "Slaughterhouse Fve" and "Jailbird".
I fell in love with Vonnegut after I read Cats Cradle and breakfast of champions. His books are always on sale for kindle users, so this collection has only cost me around $15

God Bless you, Mr. Rosewater is, in my opinion, his best book.

Mifune

Mehmber

Fall of Hyperion is a fantastic book and is directly connected with the first one. In many ways I actually prefer it to the original. Endymion is okay. Rise of Endymion is complete garbage that actually undoes the fabric of Simmons' universe. Avoid like the fucking plague.

I say stop after the second Hyperion book.

Heads up to UK folk, "The Lies of Locke Lamora" is one of October's 100 Kindle Books for £2.99 or less. It's actually a pound. I couldn't buy it fast enough. Had a full-on Jim Ross "STONE COLD! STONE COLD!" moment when I saw it.

Krowley

Recently finished:

7UZZ5gu.jpg

Patternist book 2 - Mind of my Mind by Octavia Butler
This is a really great series so far. The basic premise is to assume the existence of certain paranormal powers (various kinds of psychic phenomena, along with a few other things that are a bit more out there), and then extrapolate how they would really affect human behavior if they existed. The results are very twisted, to say the least. The first book, Wild Seed, was a little better than this, but only a little. Both are way above average. From here on the books apparently head into more futuristic territory, and I'm curious to see how that turns out. Should be very cool.

fEdvZd1.jpg

Jack Reacher book 18 - Never go Back by Lee Child
This was fun to read, but the ending left a lot to be desired, and damn near ruined the whole book. Overall it's the weakest Reacher book in a while. It does have some potentially interesting character development for Reacher that may point to changes in future books, but other than that it would be skippable. Might be skippable anyway.

mxjBpAX.jpg

The Shining book 2 - Doctor Sleep by Stephen King
Very good, but not quite great. For the first couple hundred pages I thought this was going to be a masterpiece, but the plot goes absolutely crazy in the last third. The eventual ending is totally insane, and not entirely in a good way. The book never stops being entertaining, and I couldn't put it down, but it doesn't ever manage to live up to its potential. I read The Shining a few months back in preperation for this, and I do think reading both of them close together is a good Idea. This book works very well as an extension of the original book, and actually makes The Shining a better book in retrospect because it turns it into an origin story of sorts. Taken together, I think both books are better than they are singularly, which is pretty neat considering the amount of time that's passed since the publication of the original.

siiz3ZN.jpg

The Hawkline Monster by Richard Brautigan
This was just as weird as advertised, which would have been great if I'd been able to relate to any of the characters even a little bit. I would say it fits into the absurdist/surrealist catagory, and the author makes the mistake of treating his material a little too lightly, resulting in a total lack of gravity that kept me from getting involved with anything.

ringlord

bengraven

Robopacalypse.

Recently finished:

siiz3ZN.jpg

The Hawkline Monster by Richard Brautigan
This was just as weird as advertised, which would have been great if I'd been able to relate to any of the characters even a little bit. I would say it fits into the absurdist/surrealist catagory, and the author makes the mistake of treating his material a little too lightly, resulting in a total lack of gravity that kept me from getting involved with anything.

Yeah, it was a massive disappointment. I was told it was a straight western/gothic novel amalgam, not that it was a satirical novel that barely touched on both subjects but instead reflected popular fiction of the time. It read like Irvine Welsh wrote a penny dreadful and was really fucking dreadful.

That said, some of the dialogue was fun to read.

Anyone? Bueller? ...

Also, any recommendations for a fantasy novel with a similar sorta feel as The First Law trilogy? And by that I mean set in a cold, forest sorta setting. Somewhere you can imagine being right now in fall. Cold, crisp, leaves changing color, etc?

What I mean specifically is part of the story in 'the north' country.

Akahige

Finished Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, tough read but worth it, it was very tedious for the first third.

Now Reading:
UFo3O0k.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom