• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

I'll echo Mak's looking for fall/foresty/cold setting books.

I picked up this as well when I was at Costco, think I'll read this after I'm done the fun Seahawk book I'm reading now.

17182421.jpg

Ohh I actually have that book on my Kindle. Perhaps I'll do that one next. I should finish Edward Adrift tomorrow.

I'm on book four right now and it truly is a remarkable series. Very dark, lots of military camaraderie, and an awesome narrator. I will say there's definitely no clear "good versus evil" angle, as everyone has their dark secrets. But the world Cook built is so interesting and some of the fight sequences are downright insane in their size and scope.

By far the best fantasy series I've started this year and I can see myself reading through all the books in the near future.

Joseca

Banned
I'm going to start the Count of Monte Cristo. I have never read a book in english (spanish as a native language) and I hope I really keep my reading habit. As a child I used to read a lot, blame computers and videogames :(
I also bought The Hobbit and 1984. I know, is very varied haha.

I finished Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood yesterday evening. The author had really great ideas, the world is interesting and some topics are quite thought-provoking. The big problem was the story imo. I constantly had the feeling that the story is kind of stuck and nothing happens (maybe that's because of the narrative style) and sometimes there were extremely boring parts that I'd have loved to skip. It was a great book to discuss in a group but I'm definitely not going to read the other two books of this trilogy.

Today I'm finally going to start the sixth book of the Dresden Files (Blood Rites) by Jim Butcher. I had to pause this series to not get bored and now I'm really looking forward to it. After that I want to read the first book of the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb.

leroidys

Been meaning to read Mishima for years. Temple of the Golden Pavilion is a good place to start, I take it?

I really liked it. It's very subtle, but he writes the characters masterfully. It's all based very closely on what actually happened too, which heightens the drama.

Wow, Ancillary justice is gud. Started it in bed last night and stayed up way too late reading because I couldn't put it down. My only semi-complaint is the prose takes a little getting used to, but other than that it's easily shaping up to be one of the best sci-fi books I've read in years.

I finished Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood yesterday evening. The author had really great ideas, the world is interesting and some topics are quite thought-provoking. The big problem was the story imo. I constantly had the feeling that the story is kind of stuck and nothing happens (maybe that's because of the narrative style) and sometimes there were extremely boring parts that I'd have loved to skip. It was a great book to discuss in a group but I'm definitely not going to read the other two books of this trilogy.

I had the same problems with it, ended up putting it on the shelf.

Masenkame

I haven't posted in these threads for a few months, so here's what I've been reading, if that's OK.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss: This was a decent read, and interesting enough that I'd like to read the sequel. The prose is nowhere near the hype it's gotten, but it works, and the characterization is a bit underwhelming. I can see where the Mary Sue criticisms come from, and I don't so far see any hints of unreliable narration. Perhaps in the sequel.

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut: A humorous and interesting novel, though not a great one. Vonnegut's take on science and religion, and people's capacity for harm, deceit, and empathy make it quite worthwhile.

Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks: This first foray into the Culture novels has me intrigued. Good world building with some uneven characters, and botched tension.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood: Atwood draws her main characters well, with prose that flows well and creates a real connection with the main character. The novel is funny, depressing, yet there is some hope. The epilogue is both unnecessary, and needed, as it colors the whole experience.

The Black Company by Glen Cook: Cook's prose is so interesting for its stilted and abrupt nature, and what's left in or out. There is a bit with civilians in a village after/during an attack, which you can pass over so quickly and miss some horrific stuff, and leaves you wondering if you read it right. Some of the characterization seems half-baked, but I’ll definitely get around to the sequels.

Atonement by Ian McEwan: A wonderful novel, with beautiful prose that doesn't let go. A surprising postmodern quality exists to the novel, which critiques itself and what people would like out of a story. Guilt, redemption, and growth are amazingly well rendered by McEwan. The film is pretty good too :p.

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay: A phenomenal fantasy novel, filled with great prose, well-developed characters, and an interesting plot in a well-realized world. The themes of memory and history and exile and loss resound so clearly. I suppose this novel drew me in so absolutely due to similar ideas that had affected me astoundingly earlier this year, while reading The Yiddish Policeman's Union in which Jewish identity and exile had so enveloped the characters in that novel. There is depth to the protagonists, who wrestle with their actions which are a tool for something larger, a desired outcome, yet one that is paved with horrors and profound hurt. I'd like to point out one character, Dianora, whose characterization and development stood out exceptionally. Other characterizations suffered perhaps due to Kay's attention to her.

Finally, onto Bleeding Edge by Thomas Pynchon. I couldn't wait to get my hands on this since it was announced.

Burger

20130218161954!The_Mote_In_God's_Eye_-_original_hardcover_edition.jpg

Thought it was a bit crappy to start with, but now at about 50% through and it's really gripping. I feel like I'm on the edge of a precipice with terrible things at the bottom, and I'm about to fall in.

Nezumi

Finished:

ifonawintersnight.gif

Definitly not an easy book to judge. I actually can see myself reading it again in some time and maybe discover something that i haven't realized this time around.

348_1.jpg

I think the biggest trouble I had with this book is understanding what the hell makes Kurtz such an extraordinary man and why Marlow would think so of him in this short time. And since this book is essentially about nothing else I can't say I found it all that good. I have to admit though that I'm not a big fan of the whole stream of conscience thing. It is just not my cup of tea.

Currently reading:

the-dragons-path-by-daniel-abraham.jpeg

Really enjoying this. Like I wrote before, this is a lot more "standard" fantasy than Abraham's Long Price Quartet, but I just love the man's writing. The characters are interesting and the whole world with all the different races is intriguing if a bit confusing sometimes.

518b8n2f4PL._SL500_AA300_PIaudible,BottomRight,13,73_AA300_.jpg

I was actually going to be sad when I finished this book, because I have to say that story and characters really grew on me. That was till I discovered that Sullivan has already written some prequels :)

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
500719.jpg

Finished Hick by Andrea Portes

That's one terrible cover, but the book was good. 13 year old girl runs away from alcoholic parents.

mu cephei

Finished The Sparrow
5880.jpg

It was really good, although the ending didn't live up to the first half of the book, and also by the end too many flaws and unbelievable things had built up. But for much of it I was reminded of Speaker for the Dead by OSC, which I thought was brilliant. And I'm thinking I really ought to read more Le Guin, if I like this kind of thing so much.

Currently I'm reading The Lost City of Z
7963115.jpg

Good so far.

Next up will probably be Dark Eden
12875162.jpg

For no better reason than it's been taunting me from by goodreads 'currently reading' page for far too long.

Epcott

Finished Doctor Sleep yesterday.
Felt that
The True Knot gallery could have used much more fleshing out to make them more menacing. Maybe up their killings or have them fight psychically with Dan, and not in some lame gun fight. For such a devilish lot, one would expect their approach to be more supernatural and less dimwitted. Rose started off as threatening but in the end she seemed like nothing more than a plot device to an overpowered Abra X Dan combo. Really enjoyed Dan's struggle with alcoholism. Could have done without all of the Overlook references. I read The Shining right before this, and while it fleshes out the dangling threads left in that book, it relies too heavily upon it by the end.
Still, not a bad book.

Now listening to the audiobook: The Blade Itself.

Wondering what everyone else thought of this book and Dr. Sleep.

I was thinking about reading, "At the Mountains of Madness."

Should I check out the book or graphic novel? Is there any real differences between the two?

Finished Doctor Sleep yesterday.
Felt that
The True Knot gallery could have used much more fleshing out to make them more menacing. Maybe up their killings or have them fight psychically with Dan, and not in some lame gun fight. For such a devilish lot, one would expect their approach to be more supernatural and less dimwitted. Rose started off as threatening but in the end she seemed like nothing more than a plot device to an overpowered Abra X Dan combo. Really enjoyed Dan's struggle with alcoholism. Could have done without all of the Overlook references. I read The Shining right before this, and while it fleshes out the dangling threads left in that book, it relies too heavily upon it by the end.
Still, not a bad book.

Now listening to the audiobook: The Blade Itself.

Wondering what everyone else thought of this book and Dr. Sleep.

I think those are fair criticisms. I would add that the True Knot were interesting because King really made an effort to make them sympathetic, giving them love interests and friendships, etc. This was hard to reconcile with their complete lack of sympathy when it comes to torturing and killing "rubes" (which is a funny word choice since this book came out right after Joyland). Anyway, I'm sure that moral ambiguity is kind of the point, but I feel like it wasn't balanced enough to make them still be threatening. The only time they felt appropriately evil was when killing the baseball boy.

Overall I liked it a lot. The ambush scene at the train was very tense. The descriptions of people's lives that Dan sees when helping them die are truly beautiful. I always thought calling SK a horror writer isn't entirely right. He's at his best writing about people.

Blitzzz

Finished this last night:

The Iron Jackal by Chris Wooding

The catalyst to the story was a bit facepalm but I guess it's to be expected now of this crew. Once past that, the book is fantastic. Characterization is top notch and each crew member's POV is well thought out and unique. While other "crew" type books/shows like Firefly or Expanse series focus on the captain being the main character, this series and this book in particular feels more like an ensemble cast.

Holding off on the last one because I don't really want it to end...

Started this on the subway this morning:

Night Film by Marisha Pessl

Currently I'm reading The Lost City of Z
7963115.jpg

Good so far.

I'm about 60% through the audiobook. It's more of a biography of Fawcett and less jungle journey to find him (the author hasn't even left the states yet where I am)

DagsJT

Finished Night Film and gave it 2/5 stars. WAY too pretentious, descriptions for the sake of it and dragged on way too long.

And nothing really happened. Well, not as much as I'd have liked anyway

Took me a good while to finish that, so disappointed.

Now reading:

519MusHvUTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-52,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Blitzzz

Finished Night Film and gave it 2/5 stars. WAY too pretentious, descriptions for the sake of it and dragged on way too long.

I was struck by this too and I only read the prologue....seems like everything has to be compared to something else to create a more dramatic effect

hopefully the plot is good though

AnnTiPa

My thanks to the people who recommended The Broken Empire series a few threads ago. I just finished the last book and quite enjoyed them overall. I had some difficulties getting into the first book and even read something else after that but after I finally started the second book I read it and the last one in a few weeks.

My thanks to the people too who were offended enough by the main character to stop reading the first book altogether. While recommendations are easy to pass I just couldn't resist after those comments. :p

Next up, Excession by Iain Banks or possibly Neverwinter Saga.

And nothing really happened. Well, not as much as I'd have liked anyway

Took me a good while to finish that, so disappointed.

Same feelings here. Was definitely a disappointment.

Almost done with The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two. I really like this series, and this one is good, too. I probably like the second one more, but I'll reserve judgment until I'm done.

Akahige

Finished The Broom of the System by David Foster Wallace, confusing, odd, funny and odd. Great Book.

Now Reading:
naLfBKO.jpg

I've seen the movie a dozen times but never read the book. Half-way through, interesting to see the differences but pointless since the movie improves every single thing so far.

ShaneB

Bah, you're all foolish, Night Film was great! :)

edit: The Amazon Daily "The Temple of Gold" sounds really wonderful, has anyone read it?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
pride.jpg

This was really good.

(Alternative: I am a giant girl)

countmontecristo.jpg

12% in and I still don't know what this about. I thought it was going to be some alt history about Napoleon but Dumas is following real life canon so like, I dunno.

Fun, though.

Last week I read,
Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape - Jenna Miscavige Hill

This week I was busy and only got to,
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War - Max Brooks

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Haven't been posted in these before, but I'm off the wagon, reading again, so I might as well

grendel.jpg

Pure existentialist awesomeness.

Grendel is amazing, I had forgotten about that book. If you're into classic villains' pov, Wicked is a very good book (haven't seen the musical so I can't speak to any of that)

I'm reading this because I'm a sucker for dystopian fiction:

17682A33-55AF-4363-B0DA-A4E7C3D81255-171-0000001CF54FC354_zps27cb6a35.jpg

Ludovico

XgncNS4.jpg

Just hitting page 375, so many things going on I don't even...

Who dropped the nuke on the Canadian/US border? Is Joelle extremely beautiful and trying to hide it, did she get disfigured recently, is Orin just crazy about how gorgeous he thinks she is (pretty sure Orin's falling head over heels for a giant, cross-dressing, US spyman now playing as a female sports digest interviewer... if that says anything about Incandenza sanity, not to mention Hal)?? Why is Hal such a dick, can anyone really hear him or does he internalize everything? Why can't I help picturing Mario as a disfigured Yoshi now?? How much longer until we find out about this military grade hallucinogens the kids are supposed to be testing out?! Why/how was the Eschaton explanation and following game one of the most intriguing thing's I've ever read?

Love piecing all this stuff together, can't wait for more and more small details to come to light.

giy0hDt.jpg

I've never seen the movie and only played a little bit of S.T.A.L.K.E.R., still in the first "retrieval", digging it so far.

owasog

Finished Dune yesterday and I really really liked it. How's Dune Messiah? Should I pick it up? How does it compare to Dune?
You should definitely read Messiah. It's a darker tale and not as epic as Dune, but still a great novel. It feels like the missing epilogue to Dune.
And you should read all six Dune novels written by Frank Herbert. God Emperor is my favorite sequel. But avoid the prequels, sequels and 'interquels' written by his son at ALL cost! They're awful, awful, awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom