• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2011)

cory021 said:
I've been reading a Song of Ice and Fire since summer started, just about 1/4 the way through the Dance with Dragons. Once I'm done with that, I'm planning on re-reading the Harry Potter series again (I've only read the 7th book once, and I figure it's been long enough for a re-read). Then I plan on reading the Eragon books again.
How can you stand to go from asofai to ...eragon???

13897242.JPG

Got it for a buck through Kindle Special Offers. Think I'm gonna go ahead and start it since Shadow Puppets is boring the shit out of me.

Also started Hyperion for the the first time. Hoping one of them hooks me.

Finished:

Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf
Long-winded and while I could see its value, especially when Woolf made these talks, it just doesn't seem applicable today. Other than its worth as a historical text, I didn't particularly enjoy it. It did made me think about how difficult it was for a woman to write a book back in the days, when they didn't really get a formal education, or even any privacy, but things are so different now, it's hard to relate. I guess I could see some parallels between women writing books back then, and women in the tech industry a few years ago.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
just started reading the mistborn trilogy. Sweet jesus, this is rad.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I fucking love thrift stores.

Batman_The_Dark_Knight_Returns.jpg

Just bought that, basically brand new, for $1.50.

Just got done with one of the best books I read all year:

A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway

It's a collection of short stories Hemingway writes about his time in Paris and the writer-friends he meets.

My favorite story from here is the one where Scott Fitzgerald consults him about a little problem -- Zelda found a certain part of his anatomy insufficient and told him that he could "never make any woman happy." Hemingway gives this helpful answer as advice: "It is not basically a question of the size in repose. It is the size that it becomes. It is also a question of angle."

braves01

Banned
Books_ArtFielding.jpg

I got caught up in the hype behind this one and bought it day one. It's been exactly what I expected; a solid literary baseball story about self-doubt and "fielding" the stray grounders of life. It's full of allusions to Melville, many of which I'm sure I missed having never read Moby Dick.

Just finished this gem :

356783.jpg

"Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!" so much fun. Kind of hard at first for non-native English reader like me, but really nice story telling.

Starting this one :

wind-in-willows-kenneth-grahame-paperback-cover-art.jpg

ymmv

Banned
Currently reading this:

swords-west-harold-lamb.JPG

Harold Lamb was probably the best writer of historical adventure fiction writing for the pulps between 1920-1940. Swords of the West is the first short story/novella collection by Lamb I've read so far and it's really good stuff. The stories mostly deal with wandering crusaders venturing beyond the the middle east into central Asia, encountering exotic cultures. Lamb is an excellent story teller who knows what he's talking about (he also wrote books about oriental history, the crusades, Genghis Khan, Tamerlane, etc.) and even his shorter stories don't skimp on plot.

Woorloog

Banned
nakedsushi said:
It wasn't the lack of descriptions that turned me off of that book but the voice of the character. The amount of heavy-handed foreshadowing she uses plus her tone annoyed me enough to put the book down. I was disappointed because I really wanted to like the book based on the subject and setting.
Doesn't annoy me, though Yeine doesn't seem to be the most intelligent gal around, though arguably her situation is a bit confusing. Probably.
And foreshadowing? Is it subtle? Because i really don't seem to be noticing any. Maybe i don't, uh, meta-read and think what might be happening later, i just, umm, live the book as it happens. I really don't know how to write what i mean..

thomaser

Littleberu said:
Starting this one :

wind-in-willows-kenneth-grahame-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Wow, that's a book? I had the 1983 stop-motion movie on a VHS when I was little and watched it over and over again. Best children's movie ever! Toad is such a brilliant character. Gotta have the book now, thanks!

LProtag

Picked up a bunch of stuff from the Borders closing sale and I have a bunch of books in my library that I haven't gotten to... not sure what I'm going to read next. I just read a bunch of Philip K. Dick novels.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Here are my thoughts on The Talent Code: Greatness isn’t born. It’s grown. Here’s how. by Daniel Coyle, aka the MYELIN book:

41wbdfKZBsL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Publishers Weekly description said:
Journalist Coyle travels the world to discover the truth about talent in this fascinating account that studies how individuals can unlock their full potential and bring their talents to light. The discoveries put forth by Coyle come down to three main elements: coaching, motivation and practice. While these hardly seem like breakthroughs, Coyle's discovery process proves fascinating. Providing detailed examples from a variety of different sources, Coyle's work becomes as motivational as the stories he presents. John Farrell reads with a voice that is at once firm yet highly identifiable. The resulting recording serves as a fine instructional guide for those searching for how to fulfill their dreams.

The short version: I’d give this book an 8.5/10. I checked this out based on a recommendation from my professor, a lifelong educator who’s deeply immersed in the field of leadership and organizational development. He stated, on no uncertain terms, that this was one of the best reads out there on talent development. Not just talent in one area, ALL talent.

The central premise, which is repeated for effect throughout the book, is that “skill is insulation that wraps neural circuits and grows according to certain signals.” That insulation is a substance we learned in high-school biology called myelin. Building myelin allows impulse circuits to fire more precisely, more quickly, and more consistently, all of which contribute to skill improvement. Practice and repetition are crucial to this increase in myelination activity. Instead of focusing on genetic and environmental factors, Coyle proposes that we think of skill development as a muscle and an exercise in building myelin. The book focuses on three crucial elements that allow people to develop their skills and become experts in a wide range of fields, from sports to music and art:

Deep Practice - Repetition is important, but Coyle explores what it means to practice effectively - through focusing both on the small details and the big picture, and by actively utilizing failure as an opportunity to improve. One of the best examples in the book is provided early on, dubbed the Girl Who Did a Month’s Worth of Practice in Six Minutes. Just like a baby taking its first steps and falling, skills are developed much more quickly through doing and failing, attending to mistakes, and trying again. A really good quote in the book from Samuel Beckett: “Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better.”

Ignition - The fuel necessary for the repetition required for skill development. Coyle scours the world for examples of talent hotbeds and teases out some primal cues that stirs the fires necessary for the commitment necessary towards being world experts. One interesting finding is that effort-based language (eg. you are working hard) is more effective for igniting than intelligence based language (eg. you are really smart) because it speaks to the very core of the learning experience (by building myelin and improving circuits).

Master Coaching - The guidance necessary to cultivate world class talent. Coyle interviews various sports and talent coaches and learns that good coaches generally have a toolset of depth of knowledge, perceptiveness of personalities, directly instructive communication skills, and an innate sense of empathy for their students. Not surprisingly, these qualities of master coaching are also a result of years of practice and myelin building.

Overall, the book was a great, quick read. Coyle litters the book with interesting anecdotes while keeping the pacing lean and the content organized. That’s tough to do. I learned a few things that could be beneficial to my own personal development, which is always nice. Some of his findings and statements sound a little too definitive, but it does make for a persuasive piece of writing. If you’re looking for a detailed exploration of the connections between myelination and skill development, this is not the book for you. Otherwise, I highly recommend it.

mike23

Starting
JV7de.jpg

tonight.

Edit:

Read it straight through last night. Loved it. The first book in the series (this is #3), Child of Fire, is only 99c on the Kindle store right now. Definitely worth the purchase. I'm sure you'll get hooked.

finowns

51e-ml7DMQL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Vampires done right. Centuries old East European noble wakes up in 1970's Memphis he was staked in 1910 in England. He wakes and finds a lot has changed.

The writing is really good and the author seems to get the setting right. All the problems you imagine in the 70's in the south are there.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just finished Cat's Cradle, by Vonnegut.

Am I crazy for not thinking it anything special? Don't get me wrong, it was an enjoyable read, and quite funny throughout, but the insane scenarios and ridiculous plot kind of threw me off.

Thinking about moving onto Where the Red Fern Grows next.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Found this!

Final-Cover-198x300.jpg

Figured I can read this while I wait for Goliath to hit next week since it's a collection of short stories!

Woorloog

Banned
Finished The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.
I don't think i'll be getting the sequels. I wouldn't recommend it but people have different tastes.

Next up... sigh. Should i re-read The Way of Kings or finally finish (and start properly) Conan the Barbarian stories? Conan collection's been sitting on my shelf since March or April. I'm interested but the book is damn big, hard to read it in bed.

Hmm.. might check out that Bordertown book sometime.

Also, I cried like a baby when I read Where The Red Fern Grows, Oogie. I was in elementary, though, so at least I had an excuse.

Anyway, started up yet another book and this time it hooked me straightaway-

51mJpi8d0kL.jpg

So awesome. Might be my favorite fantasy next to SOIAF. And heads up, it's only $3 on Kindle right now.

JGS

Banned
KidDork said:
I've heard that, which is why my Hunger Games experience ended with, well, The Hunger Games.
I've read all three and it held my interest the whole time. Hunger Games is the most derivative of the 3 (Not really a bad thing, just familiar considering all the books and films it is like).

The last 3rd of Mockingjay easily lives up to Hunger Games.

I liked all of Catching Fire too. The whole series really changes tunes in the middle and ramps up as it spends time explaining the situation at hand and then the remaining time demolishing those explanations and expectations.

I loved this series way more than I expected.

Woorloog

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:

[mistborn pic]

So awesome. Might be my favorite fantasy next to SOIAF. And heads up, it's only $3 on Kindle right now.
Read anything else by Brandon Sanderson? If not, i recommend everything he has written (except Alcatraz books, because i haven't read them so i dunno if i should recommend them)

JGS said:
I've read all three and it held my interest the whole time. Hunger Games is the most derivative of the 3 (Not really a bad thing, just familiar considering all the books and films it is like).

I liked all of Catching Fire too. The whole series really changes tunes in the middle and ramps up as it spends time explaining the situation at hand and then the remaining time demolishing those explanations and expectations.

I loved this series way more than I expected.
The first half of Catching Fire is a slog to get through, but the second half is astonishing. Shit just hits the fan on Every. Single. Page. I don't think I ever gasped so often while reading one single book, not even A Storm of Swords.

ultron87

LocoMrPollock said:

Grabbed this on my Kindle as well. 72% of the way through.

Spoiler:
The little snippets from the Lord Ruler's log book are super interesting, perhaps even more so than the actual story.

Kuraudo

Banned
MrOogieBoogie said:
Just finished Cat's Cradle, by Vonnegut.

Am I crazy for not thinking it anything special? Don't get me wrong, it was an enjoyable read, and quite funny throughout, but the insane scenarios and ridiculous plot kind of threw me off.

I wasn't taken with Cat's Cradle either. Read it after adoring Slaughterhouse 5, but it left me underwhelmed. I found it a weird story with unlikable people and a few strained messages.

derdriu

I'm learning Norwegian at the moment so currently reading a Norwegian kids book

1527954.jpg

Its a big step up from my previous Norwegian book

bokpipeleke-i-1-gi-meg-en-klem-med-ole-brumm.jpg

Woorloog said:
Read anything else by Brandon Sanderson? If not, i recommend everything he has written (except Alcatraz books, because i haven't read them so i dunno if i should recommend them)

First timer. Definitely will check out some of his other stuff.

pr0cs said:
http://images.wikia.com/gearsofwar/images/3/3b/Gow-coalitions-end-cvr.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Those any good?

KidDork

JGS said:

Hmm. Well, I may go back and give them a look after I finish up The Parasol Protectorate.

I'm reading Plato's Republic for a class. It's my third time reading it and unlike the first two times, I'm having a strong negative reaction to it this time around. The platonic universe is just too simple and hierarchical and maybe I'm not as naive as I was when I first read and was moved by it.

ultron87

Finished the first Mistborn book. Twas a good time.

I really like where it seems like the story is going to go just based on the title of the next book.

Right now, I'm reading Murakami's Pinball, 1973. Planning on reading as much books by him as I can before his new novel comes out.

After Pinball, I'm thinking of reading either 2001: A Space Odyssey or the Sun Also Rises by Hemingway.

JCX

The combination of buying an Android tablet, Borders going out of business, and unemployment have left me with plenty of time to read.

infinite_jest.jpg

About 21% through this. First fiction book I've read that really confuses me at times. There have been parts that I've really liked, and others that were like jogging in quicksand.

will_to_whatevs_large.jpg

Funny self-help style book. If you like Eugene's standup, then you'll like this.

cvr9781439186756_9781439186756.jpg

Honest, but interesting account of how to make it as a big studio screenwriter.

gabbo

Anyone recommend anything similar to Guy Debord's The Society of the Spectacle? I've just started it, but it's scratched that political science itch, and would love to indulge it some more.

Maklershed said:
^ That book is 1,000 x better than the Will Smith movie adaptation. The only other larger book:movie quality ratio disparity I can think of is The Postman.

In other news, Amazon now has a 100 kindle books for $3.99 collection. They change the selection every month so keep checking back if you don't see anything that interests you this month.

They also have a Kindle Daily Deal

Read the book in high school either before vampires were emo or I was too emo to notice or care. Didn't bother watching the movie, but I hear
they completely change the ending and what amounts to the theme of the entire book to a disgusting Hollywood ending. I wasn't going to watch the film anyway, but that just made me resent it and the industry.

Started a Feast for Crows myself. Resented the fact that Storm of Swords ended with cliffhangers on just about every POV character as well as the epilogue, and Martin begins this book with a prologue and two jobber POV characters I really couldn't give two shits about collectively. Could only bring myself to read one of those chapters at a time, but has been a quick read since. Looking forward to being caught up, though. The only books I've read in the past two months have been Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, and Chris Jericho's second book. I'm almost overwhelmed by the options I'll have once I finish Dance.

Fjordson

Finished a few Warhammer omnibuses. Time for a change of pace:

qwTCp.jpg

Also still going through Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. On the fourth trade paperback right now. Enjoying it a lot.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Someone in the August thread recommended Appetite for Self-Destruction, which I just finished. A great read and really shows how poorly run the music industry is. It was published in 2008 and it's amazing how much things have changed even in the last 3 years.

In any case I'll give this thread a read and pick out my next book.

Top Bottom