• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2011)

Mumei

Fjordson said:
Awesome choice. From Hell blew my mind the first time I read it. It's a bit insane, but really, really good. I think I might actually like it more than Watchmen.

I finished the first half of the Book of the New Sun. Incredible. I was trying to tell my wife about it earlier today after she asked what was it like and I sort of found myself at a loss for words. The atmosphere and the way Wolfe tells the story is almost dreamlike at times. Really a strange book, downright cryptic at times. I couldn't stop reading, though. And the second half is already en route from Amazon. Can't wait to start it.

Unfortunately, I'll probably tear through that quickly. Not sure what I'm going to start next. Been eyeing Lies of Locke Lamora on Kindle lately. It seems like a fun book, and I have a couple of friends who reminded me of it after talking about how hyped they are for Republic of Thieves next year.

I need to read my copy of The Book of the New Sun.

As it is, I have been reading Peter S. Beagle's Sleight of Hand.

I'm 30 pages into Ready Player One and it's already nerd heaven. If you have any background playing video games, or if you grew up during the 80s (which I didn't!), you should give it a go.

I hear it will only get better from here.

Dragon

Banned
Arment said:
Deathgate_elvenstar_cover.jpg

Such vivid and amazing worlds so far. I can't wait to read more. Each night is a treat.

Back in the day I had the first through fourth books and the sixth and seventh. The ending is pretty satisfying and the books aren't overly long. I'm debating re-reading it by buying it on bn.

I'm on chapter 6 or 7 now. The 80s stuff feels so forced and I cringe every time something is mentioned. Why can't he just mention a thing here or there, instead of paragraphs of buzz names. I hope it becomes a little more subtle because minus the 80s cheap thrills its pretty good.

Dresden

Finished Into the Wild in one sitting, it was pretty darn good, kept me gripped, etc. Now to go do something useful...

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Finished On the Road by Daniel Harris. He's a Manchester United fan disgusted with the Glazers who vowed to quit going to games at Old Trafford and only watch United at away matches. He wrote a blog about the season and then collected it as a book. As a fan of a shit team, I've always been fascinated by the bitching of fans of super teams. I can't relate.

This guy lays it on thick as United loses the title in a close race to Chelsea. Since they won last year and look good now, some of his criticism is over the top.

Ashes

Banned
Ok, I'm gonna do this. I'm gonna sit in this super comfy ikea armchair and only get up once, I've finished 'run for your life' by James Patterson. I keep leaving it off... But no more. It ends today.

Or tonight.

Or tomorrow.

Karakand

Guileless said:
Finished On the Road by Daniel Harris. He's a Manchester United fan disgusted with the Glazers who vowed to quit going to games at Old Trafford and only watch United at away matches. He wrote a blog about the season and then collected it as a book. As a fan of a shit team, I've always been fascinated by the bitching of fans of super teams. I can't relate.

This guy lays it on thick as United loses the title in a close race to Chelsea. Since they won last year and look good now, some of his criticism is over the top.
Love United. Hate Glazer (literally Manchester United).

KidDork

Finished Soulless, by Gail Carriger. An unexpected surprise. Carriger takes a Victorian world where the supernatural exists (under strict government control) alongside everyday people, and shows us this world through a heroine with a rather intriguing connection to both worlds. A little more sexual than I expected, as well, without being pandering. It was like reading a Jane Austen novel where Emma is aware of the lump in Mr, Knightley's breeches.

Picked up the second book in the series, but will take a break with Ready Player One first.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished reading A Tree grows under brooklyn by Betty Smith today, i thought it was absolutely amazing in every way, i loved it so much i wouldn't hesitant to put in my top 5, something about it clicked with me in every way - from the characterization, the writing style, the way the setting was portrayed, the themes, there was also some meta / autobiographical elements to the story that i found extremely compelling, but yeah it's rare to see a novel like this push all the right buttons as far as my personal taste is concerned, so I'm really glad i read it.:)

Up next either a re-read of A Storm of swords or my first foray into Jorge Luis Borges with Labyrinths.

Ratrat

r7Y2D.jpg

just got it as a birthday gift. I cannot wait!
this too:
IJMuk.jpg

anyone else read it? I think the movie is pretty popular here. I personally remember little except that it was weird. really weird.

edit: id be grateful if anyone wanted to recommend some japanese books. Ive delved the usual: Murakami, Battle Royal, Abe Kobo and Natsume Souseki. Absolutely love Murakami. :D

Ratrat said:
r7Y2D.jpg

just got it as a birthday gift. I cannot wait!
this too:
IJMuk.jpg

anyone else read it? I think the movie is pretty popular here. I personally remember little except that it was weird. really weird.
Is that a book about the Satoshi Kon anime? Or the other way around?

Cyan said:
So, I like using Goodreads, but it's starting to weird me out. A few people I know irl have discovered me on there.

"Cyan, what the hell, you didn't like the Master and Margarita? You uncultured jerk!"

"Cyan, you lent me two books that you only gave three stars! Do you think I'm stupid or something?" (my sister :/)

I hate being held accountable for stuff I say online.

Hahaha, I've never had this happen to me before, but maybe I just have more forgiving friends. OR they're scared I might delete their account! Seriously, I wish people would give more opinion about my reviews of books. It promote discussion! =)

Is three stars bad? I think that's a pretty good rating. If I read and enjoyed a book, I'd give it 3 stars. I do personally think that the gr ratings are a little skewed toward the higher end, but for me, 3 is good.

I'm currently reading this at a recommendation by a co-worker.

Columbine by Dave Cullen
I was put off when I heard this book was out just because it seems so opportunist or predatory to what happened there, but I have to admit, the book so far is pretty good. It's sensitive, illuminating, and terrifying at times.

Kraftwerk

Took a break from reading books for a month, and now I am back.

Just finished;

NfdOf.jpg

I'm glad he decided to write one about.. the other side.

I know not taking Oelph was for the greater good, but I felt so sad for him :(

Started this last night:

p29rCl.jpg

Just read White Noise by Don DeLillo for a class.

Gotta say, I wasn't particularly impressed. The humor is not nearly as sharp as, say, Kurt Vonnegut (to name somebody of a somewhat similar style), the characters are all pretty thin, the structure of the book is rather obvious, there's nothing all that special about the prose style, and frankly, the philosophy underlying it is somewhat ill-thought on the whole, even if it is correct in parts. It's the sort of book that has fully made its point within the first few chapters, and you spend the rest of it wondering if he's taking this whole thing anywhere. He's not, and it's disappointing. It's better than, say, Eggers or Wallace, since at least I did chuckle at points in his book and found some parts interesting, but on the whole, it's nothing all that significant.

Kraftwerk

Cyan said:
I ground to a halt about five chapters into Consider Phlebas last week. Just couldn't get into it at all.

Consider Phlebas is definitely a hard one to get into. Hell, all of The Culture books are hard at the beginning. CP is one of the hardest tho.

If you want to get into The Culture, I recommend starting with The Player of Games.

Very easy to get into, and it is the perfect book to describe the differences between The Culture and every other civilisation. I hope you give this another chance and read The Player of Games. Shame to miss out on such a rich series.

Karakand

Cyan said:
But Kara, how can we know what's good or bad if we don't quantify everything?
Well, I can think of better "objective" standards than a number. (e.g. Was it beautiful?) They belong on mundane things like video games or movies, not books.

Karakand

nakedsushi, why do people who delete Listopia votes receive anonymity? I don't get to be anonymous when I vote. Letting people delete from public lists in the first place is dumb too but I'll concede there are reasons for it.

Karakand said:
nakedsushi, why do people who delete Listopia votes receive anonymity? I don't get to be anonymous when I vote. Letting people delete from public lists in the first place is dumb too but I'll concede there are reasons for it.

That sounds like a bug. When people (librarians, I'm assuming) delete a book from a list, it should show up in the librarian log (ie: http://www.goodreads.com/list/edits/43.Best_Young_Adult_Books) but it looks like it doesn't. I'll put in a bug ticket for that.

Karakand

Cool, thanks!

So librarians are the only ones that can delete? I was under the impression that the list starter could also delete votes.

Mumei

Since my last update, I've read four books:

Fool Moon, by Jim Butcher
Sleight of Hand, by Peter S. Beagle
If on a winter's night a traveler, by Italo Calvino
Infinite Worlds: The Fantastic Visions of Science Fiction Art, by Vincent di Fate

I had read the first third or so of If on a winter's night a few years ago, but the combination of second-person narration and switching chapters and no fourth wall made it so that when I took a break for some reason or another for about a week, I felt completely lost. I liked it when I first read it, but I wasn't really in love with it. I don't know if it is the passage of time, my tastes have changed, or what, but I loved it this time. It's a really fun book and quite different from anything I've read before.

Ashes

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
Ok, I'm gonna do this. I'm gonna sit in this super comfy ikea armchair and only get up once, I've finished 'run for your life' by James Patterson. I keep leaving it off... But no more. It ends today.

Or tonight.

Or tomorrow.

I have finished this. That is all.

Graphic Novels: just finished Batman Gotham by Gaslight and Master of the Future...

Novels: Broken Angels by Richard Morgan (finished two days ago) and Sailing to Sarantium by Guy Gavriel Kay (started yesterday)

braves01

Banned
Just finished
cloud-atlas.jpg

David Mitchell is a new favorite of mine. His stylistic range is really incredible in this book. I read Jacob de Zoet earlier this summer and loved that, too.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
LocoMrPollock said:
Leviathan-wakes-220x344.jpg

About 40% done with this and thinking about putting it down. Not sure if I want to waste any more time with it.

What're your issues with it? I really enjoyed it.

aidan said:
What're your issues with it? I really enjoyed it.

Nothing particular, it's just not doing it for me. I don't care about the characters, Holden and Miller are boring. The universe isn't that interesting and the main plot has been stalled for most of the book. It has a lot of filler and I find myself zoning out while reading.

Eklesp

Edit: New thread, sorry.

braves01 said:
Just finished

David Mitchell is a new favorite of mine. His stylistic range is really incredible in this book. I read Jacob de Zoet earlier this summer and loved that, too.

Cloud Atlas is great. I was thinking about reading Thousand Autumns, do you think it was as good as Cloud Atlas?

Top Bottom