• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are Your Favorite Arcade Games of all Time?

tkscz

Yg7YG.jpg

and

NgYoF.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for the recommendations! Made a Want to Buy thread across the arcade forums I frequent. Hope to pick up some of them soon!

razu

Super Street Fighter II Turbo, I have the original arcade poster on the wall of the room I'm sitting in.

That cab with the giant Ryu intro... classic.

And... my car's number plate is A1 RYU :D

So yeah, I like Street Fighter...

Although, Final Fight is way up there too. (Of course, that was supposed to be a Street Fighter game...).

For the ultimate fighting collection you need the trio of:

Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike

For Beat-em-ups:

TMNT
Simpsons
X-Men

For Sports:

NBA Jam
NFL Blitz

For the win:

Tetris: The Grand Master and it's 3 sequels.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Here's my top ten.

Daytona USA 2
San Francisco Rush 2049
House of the Dead 4
NFL Blitz 2000
NBA Showtime
Fast and the Furious Super Cars
Target Terror
Time Crisis 3
Hydro Thunder
H2Overdrive

gunstarhero

Ghosts'n Goblins
Gun Smoke
The Speed Rumbler
Gauntlet
Black Tiger
Rastan
Rampage
Psychic 5
Kiki kai kai

Spy Hunter
Marble Madness
Buggy Boy
Out Run
Super Hang On
Power Drift
After Burner
Strider

Kiki KaiKai!!! I just happened to pick that PCB up last month - awesome, awesome game!

Been searching for Psychic 5 forever - found one on eBay but the price is insane. :(

Excellent taste here.

Gameboy415

The Simpsons Arcade Game is probably my all-time favorite.
I had every intention of buying an arcade cab at some point until the game was finally ported to PS3/360.
If I ever move into a bigger house/have more money I still may get one in the future.

I also really enjoyed Raiden Fighters: JET, King of the Monsters 1 & 2, Bust-a-Move and the TMNT Arcade games as a kid.
The Metal Slug games are great too!

In Japan, I grew to love some of the Bemani music games:

Pop'n Music (especially the later ones that had music from Evangelion and Super Mario Bros.)
GuitarFreaks (I was extremely good at it at one point but I haven't played in years)

I doubt I'll ever own an arcade cab for either Bemani games, but I picked up every single home port for PS1/PS2 in each series AND got the ultra-huge (and expensive :S ) "Arcade-Style Controllers" for both games so I'm pretty happy. :)

Dishwalla

Banned
Defender was my shit. And that game that was similar to Asteroids but the asteroids were like 3D geometrical shapes, kind of similar to the Geometry Wars that we know and love today.

VALIS

Robotron 2084 is the king of arcade games as far as I'm concerned.

Also usually spend a lot of time with
Tempest
Elevator Action
Zoo Keeper
Rolling Thunder
Crazy Climber (though I rarely see these)
Chase HQ
Gunsmoke
Time Pilot

ReBurn

Gold Member
Robotron 2084 is the king of arcade games as far as I'm concerned.

Also usually spend a lot of time with
Tempest
Elevator Action
Zoo Keeper
Rolling Thunder
Crazy Climber (though I rarely see these)
Chase HQ
Gunsmoke
Time Pilot

I want to play games with you.

I would add Defender, Ms. Pacman, Donkey Kong and Zaxxon to my list.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Galaga '88.

Had a bass that could shake an entire arcade. I also had a chance to buy one for $350 years ago and didn't. Huge regret.

Oh, and WWF Wrestlefest.

RetroGreg

I have a big list:

Rampart
Galaga
Mappy
Cyberball 2072
Robotron
Millipede
Crystal Castles
Street Fighter II
Raiden
Donkey Kong Jr.
Double Dragon
Contra

Can't think of anymore right now, but I know there are MOAR.

cj_iwakura

I always go for experiences that can't be replicated at home, I.E.

-beatmania IIDX
-Pump It Up
-Pop'n Music
-Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara (Four Person Cabinet)

etc.

Platy

What was the name of that one wich had a wheel and a pistol that was for 2 player "assymetrical gameplay" but everyone played singleplayer with one hand on the wheel and other in the gun ?

KILLER INSTINCT 2

I remember buying the Nintendo Power where they showed the game and arcade cabinet for the first time. Then a few days later, I was waiting for my mom outside a store one night and a truck pulled over to deliver brand-new, sealed KI2 arcade cabinets to the arcade next door. My knees nearly gave up, I was speechless....... Hope to own it one day since it's a HUGE part of my childhood.

1a.jpg

Jawmuncher

The Lost World Jurassic Park Arcade by Sega
Resident Evil Gode Veronica Gun Survivor (something like that)
Initial D arcade game
Marvel vs capcom 2

Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike on CPS3
Some Neo•Geo games such as Puzzle Bobble or Neo Turf Master and many more

Street Fighter Champion Edition
Mortal Kombat
Killer Instinct

Raiden Fighters
Turbo
Tetris

And so much more.

Killer Instinct 2.

Wish these would run on my mame cabinet :(

Ghosts'n Goblins
Gun Smoke
The Speed Rumbler
Gauntlet
Black Tiger
Rastan
Rampage
Psychic 5
Kiki kai kai
Spy Hunter
Marble Madness
Buggy Boy
Out Run
Super Hang On
Power Drift
After Burner
Strider

Will add this to my box most definitely!

cullenx

Banned
Star Wars Trilogy
Crisis Zone (That MACHINE GUN!)
Battletoads
Metal Slug

Does anyone remember the dinosaur/crazy monster fighting game? The one with the T-Rex's and ice ape/fart ape?

willooi

Favourite of all time: Elevator Action Returns. Followed by Daytona USA, Alien vs Predator, and any variety of Street Fighter, Raiden, Final Fight, or Metal Slug.

surly

Banned
Defender
Robotron
Scramble
Discs of Tron
Mr. Do!
Kung Fu Master
Gauntlet
Point Blank

There's loads that I have fond memories of that I wouldn't enjoy playing today, but I can still enjoy playing the above.

char0n

Star Wars Arcade (the original):
Cabinet-White-top.jpg

This was amazing to toddler me, and probably is what got me hooked on arcade games. Dem Vector Graphics

TMNT: My first arcade obsession, probably because I was obsessed with Ninja Turtles at the time. Also got me deep into beat-em-ups.

X-Men: Yeah this one is self explanatory/everyone knows and loves it. Nightcrawler 4 lyfe.

SoulCalibur: The graphics on this were mindblowing when it came out. It was also my first "competitive fighting game" where I was actually relatively good (I was mediocre at SFII when it came out and terrible at MK). I say relatively as in the "Salisbury, MD" arcade scene (lol). I was the boss though, I'd regularly run through lines of 10+ people multiple times using Edgemaster (or Mitsurugi when I was feeling cheap). It would be years later that I'd learn outside of backwater towns and my group of friends I actually was average at best at fighting games.

Marvel VS Capcom: Holy shit this one was fun. I wasn't nearly as good at it as I was at SoulCalibur but I had way more fun with the awesome craziness you could pull off on the screen. I still prefer the music/levels/general aesthetic to MvC2

After that the local arcades started closing down, and soon after I'd go to college and console releases were as good if not better usually than their arcade counterparts of the style of games I liked to play, so with the exception of going to a Dave & Busters a couple times or getting dragged to really trashy places by friends hooked on DDR that was the end of my arcade experience.

Spider-Man The Video Game - Sega.
Captain America and the Avengers - Data East.
Superman - Taito.
Smash TV- Williams.
Tempest - Atari.
Q-Bert - Gottlieb.

soldat7

Gauntlet, Golden Axe, Street Fighter II, Final Fight, TMNT, Metal Slug and so many more... Love the arcade of my youth.

Brashnir

Warlords
Hat Trick
Amidar
Super Sprint
Burgertime
NBA Jam
Arkanoid

And of course, the unavoidables...
Pac-Man
Ms. Pac-Man
Galaga