• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are Your Favorite Arcade Games of all Time?

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I spent a lot of money playing this:

Black_Tiger_game_flyer.png

Jonnyram

Gradius
Bubble Bobble
Rampage
Wonderboy in Monsterland
X-Multiply

...and if I was gonna have one novelty machine:
Hot Rod 4 player stand up cabinet.

A.E Suggs

Leaving out Neo-Geo games, these are a few of my absolute favourites:

• Alien vs. Predator (Capcom)
  • The Punisher (Capcom)
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara (Capcom)
  • Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike (Capcom)
  • Dodonpachi, and pretty much anything else by Cave.

All of these but I did love the spiderman arcade game back in the day as I always played it with 4 players. Other than that captain commando gets a little mention as well it was a blast to play at the laundry center.

danmaku

If we're talking about games that we actually played in real arcades...

Captain Commando

apk-Captain-Commando-v1.0-android.jpg

I loved side scrolling beat'em ups, and CC was my favourite. Great graphics, tons of bizarre enemies and you get to play as a mummy, a ninja and a mech controlled by a baby. You can't top that.

Time Crisis

I put tons of coins in Point Blank and House of the Deat too, but TC wins for it's cover based mechanic and fantastic recoiling guns.

Tempest
Ms. Pac-Man
Galaga
Donkey Kong
Venture
Star Wars (original)
TMNT
X-Men
Final Fight
Cruisin' USA
Daytona USA
Super GT
ManxTT
Ridge Racer
Hydro Thunder
Virtua Fighter
Tekken3
Virtua Tennis
House of the Dead 3
Let's Go Jungle!

What was the name of that one wich had a wheel and a pistol that was for 2 player "assymetrical gameplay" but everyone played singleplayer with one hand on the wheel and other in the gun ?

That would be Lucky & Wild.

Anyway, my favourite games back in the day:

Karate Champ
Q*bert
Amidar
Nibbler (I still think this is the best snake game of all time. ALL TIME.)
Mario Bros.
Tapper
and later on, Wrestlefest, SFII Championship Edition and MKII.

Boerseun

Banned
P.O.W._Prisoners_of_War_arcadeflyer.png

YouTube longplay video

Wikipedia page

For some reason this game just clicked with my friends and I. Whenever we visited an arcade we'd look for P.O.W. first, play the crap out of it, and then eventually migrate over to Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja, our second most-played game. Those were the days!

As far as I know the only accurate home conversion of it came out on the SNK Collection vol. 0 for which the release was limited to PSP (for some ungodly reason). I'm still hoping P.O.W. and the rest of the games from that collection come to Virtual Console in the near future. This is one sentimental experience I'd love to relive.

Piers

OutRun 2
Brilliant driving game. I just feel good when doing mad drifts through locations at criminal speeds.

Second place
LET'S GO JUUUUUNGLE!!
What an awesome game assuming one isn't arachnophobic.

Third place:
Ghost Squad
With an ID card and providing the staff aren't twats about whether or not you use one, upgrading weapons, new routes, missions and everything else is brilliant.

Fourth place:
Jurassic Park (Not Lost World, first one)
3D graphic effects looked awesome.

Tizoc

I personally love Battle Circuit (CPS2, Capcom) and Osman, aka Cannon Dancer (Mitchell) -- a great Strider clone. There are tons and tons. My favorite Cave shooter is probably still Ketsui, which, if you're into the genre, I would recommend.

Osman was by the same creator of the original Strider game IIRC.

All-time is rather pointless, but to me my fav. arcade games were:
Punisher
Alien vs. Predator
Cadillacs vs. Dinosaurs
SF3: 2I
KoF 97
Scud Race

P.O.W._Prisoners_of_War_arcadeflyer.png

YouTube longplay video

Wikipedia page

For some reason this game just clicked with my friends and I. Whenever we visited an arcade we'd look for P.O.W. first, play the crap out of it, and then eventually migrate over to Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja, our second most-played game. Those were the days!

As far as I know the only accurate home conversion of it came out on the SNK Collection vol. 0 for which the release was limited to PSP (for some ungodly reason). I'm still hoping P.O.W. and the rest of the games from that collection come to Virtual Console in the near future. This is one sentimental experience I'd love to relive.

Pretty sure this game is available on PSN as a mini atm.

8bit

Knows the Score
Bubble Bobble
Rainbow Islands
Salamander
R-Type
Gauntlet
Paperboy
Packrat
Road Runner
Gorf
Super Space Invaders '91
Ghosts 'n' Goblins
Side Arms
Mr Do's Castle
Yie Ar Kung Fu

You mentioned Neo Geo, but I just wanna make sure Windjammers is on your radar. I built a MAME machine this summer and it is by far the most played game when two people are on the cabinet. Pretty low level of entry and people got really competitive really quickly.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves is another Neo Geo game too. The inputs are fairly lax and my friend who couldn't get into the fighting games I played (SF and MvC) enjoyed it a lot. It probably helped that I didn't know much at the time with it.

I also hope to buy real arcades soon, kinda got bit by the bug and you've been posting a lot and I'm super jealous haha.

Windjammers on the MAME machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHezcWNpJxA

mrklaw

MrArseFace
- Star Wars sit down - original vector graphics one
- Daytona deluxe sit down version
- Gauntlet II

honorary mentions:
- Quartet
- Outrun deluxe sit down
- strange vector game I don't remember the name of, but you had a bunch of triangles in the middle of the screen and had to protect them from being stolen by enemies that came on from the edges. top-down and you had dual stick tank controls. Infinite lives but when you got killed there was a delay respawning so the enemy had time to keep removing your fuel tanks. This was back in the 80's probably.

All the classics - Four-player Turtles, Double Dragon, Streetfighter 2, Mortal Kombat, WWF, Slap Fight.

Also, what was that four-player top-down fantasy game? Guantlet?

And Outrun. and Bubble Bobble.

sadmaker

Double Dragon hands down. I'm showing my age by saying me and a buddy used to go up to the bowling alley almost every day one summer to get into that game.

Magnus

Pretty much all Capcom fighters, and assuredly, Sunset Riders, X-Men and The Simpsons, all nostalgically-speaking.

Haha, no way, I was just checking 2 days ago about pricing for a Sunset Riders cab. There's a campground around here that's had a Sunset Riders cab tucked in the corner for as long as anyone there can remember, and I was considering buying it. Pretty much no damages, but the panels are fading.

robot

A few favorites from my arcade collection:

Elevator Action Returns
The Great Ragtime Show (Boogie Wings)
Atomic Runner Chelnov
Twinbee Yahho!
Progear
Giga Wing
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Anniversary Edition
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Marvel Super Heroes VS Street Fighter
Mighty Pang!
Rival Schools
Tech Romancer
Mach Breakers
Windjammers
Baseball Stars 2
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Gals Panic S

Some vertical display games (not mine):
Rally Bike
Mr. Do's Castle
Ibara
Dragon Blaze

Not sure if that Sunset Riders is the 4 Player version, but you should order the 2 Player eeproms - it'll allow you to choose your character. Which should always be Cormano since he's awesome. If you're interested shoot me a PM and I'll send you the guys email - I've ordered a bunch of eeproms from him.

One of my favorites was Willow from Capcom.

It was a side scroller based on the underrated (imho) movie.

And Space Harrier, the hydraulic one that moved.

225px-Metal_Slug_(cover).jpg

I like some more than others (3 - X are amazing), but as a whole I love the Metal Slug series. Fast paced fun, co-op is fantastic, some light platforming, amazing animation and music, perfect.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
SjGm7.png

Still some of my favorite voice acting (and to a smaller degree music) in a game ever.

AMERICA STILL NEEDS YOUR HELP!

DeadTrees

- strange vector game I don't remember the name of, but you had a bunch of triangles in the middle of the screen and had to protect them from being stolen by enemies that came on from the edges. top-down and you had dual stick tank controls. Infinite lives but when you got killed there was a delay respawning so the enemy had time to keep removing your fuel tanks. This
was back in the 80's probably.
Rip Off.

A few favorites from my arcade collection:
Not sure if you that Sunset Riders is the 4 Player version, but you should order the 2 Player eeproms - it'll allow you to use your character. Which should always be Cormano since he's awesome. If you're interested shoot me a PM and I'll send you the guys email - I've ordered a bunch of eeproms from him.

You know, I'm not totally concerned about that atm. I think it's got one of the joysticks replaced with a bat, so I'd want to replace that first. It is 4 player, though. How much would a cab go for? I couldn't find much on it.

Is there a good resource for cab prices?

robot

You know, I'm not totally concerned about that atm. I think it's got one of the joysticks replaced with a bat, so I'd want to replace that first. It is 4 player, though. How much would a cab go for? I couldn't find much on it.

Is there a good resource for cab prices?

Best place to gauge cab prices would be KLOV's forums. Really depends on the cab condition, something used should be anywhere from $200-$600, while something completely restored can go upwards of $1000. Ebay is not a good gauge, as cabs/boards are generally overpriced.

Replacing the sticks/buttons is pretty easy, places like Paradise Arcade and Focus Attack stock all kinds of parts.

After Burner II will always have a special place in my heart. It's not actually a very good game, but the sheer spectacle of it was unmatched when I was a hyperactive 8 year old.

Ridge Racer - I remember seeing this for the first time in a motorway service station when I was about 13 or so. I'd never heard of it before and seeing it was the videogame equivalent of the huge black obelisk in 2001: a Space Odyssey falling out of the sky. Just this inexplicable and totally awe-inspiring thing seemingly from nowhere. Probably the most impressive game I'd ever seen at this point was Star Fox, so seeing this bad boy pump out fully texture mapped polygons at 60fps on a huge screen just blew me away. That it turned out to be one of the greatest arcade racing games ever also helped.

Super Pang - Another childhood holiday favourite. Both the campaign and the quick fire "panic" mode offer huge amounts of fun and neat gameplay mechanics.

Alien Vs Predator - I remember spending huge amounts of money on this. Possibly the best scrolling beat em up ever, generic anime woman in particular has an extremely interesting moveset to play around with.

Dodonpachi - Introduced me to bullet hell and changed how I looked at both shoot em ups but also videogames in general forever.

Bishi Bashi Special - Great memories of playing this with an ex-girlfriend years back. Awesome fun party game.

Darius Burst Another Chronicle - Not that amazing a game, but certainly a good one. Another example of insane arcade spectacle. The insane subwoofer and klaxons during the boss sequences mean you can hear this thing out in the street when someone's playing the one in London.

Top Bottom