• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are Your Favorite Arcade Games of all Time?

Muffdraul

Oh man, I'll be here all day...

Star Castle
Lunar Lander
Defender, Stargate
Q*bert
Space War
Tron
Desert Patrol
Boxing Bugs
Tail Gunner
Ripoff
Star Hawk
Galaxian, Galaga
Vanguard
Armor Attack
Pengo
Star Trek (Sega 1982)
Bandito
S.T.U.N. Runner
Xenophobe

I could keep going.

Power Drift (moving arcade cabinet)
Outrun
Giga Wing 2
Crazy Taxi
720 (still the best skateboarding game of all time, along with being one of the coolest looking dedicated cabs as well)
Paperboy

FStop7

Banned
Favorites I don't own:

Ferrari F355 Challenge
Afterburner
Pac-Man
Galaga
Smash TV
Blitz 99
Street Fighter II CE
Marvel v. Capcom I and II
Zaxxon
Battlezone
KoF 98

I currently own:

Samurai Shodown I and II
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Metal Slug 1 and 2

I really need to get my MVS cabinet fixed. 3 weeks of ownership and it already broke. ;_;

consoul

Violent Storm - the BEST 90's beat em up. Beautiful, good-humored, great fun and the soundtrack is pure gold.
Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder - Easily the best game in the series, but never got a home release.
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara
Black Dragon (Harder Japanese version of Black Tiger, which I'm pleased to see getting some love in this thread.)
SoulEdge/SoulCalibur/SoulCaliburII/SoulCalibur III: Arcade Edition
Ehrgeiz
Tech Romancer
Psychic 5
Dancing Eyes - Proof that Namco had truly lost their minds in the best possible way long before Katamari.

CLEEK

I grew up in a shitty little coastal town in England. One of its few redeeming features was is had a load of arcades. Some big, some tiny, but all within walking distance from each other.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3155/2883387018_47e684257c.jpg
http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/content/images/2006/05/18/lowestoft_southpier_ikey_414x300.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5287/5688112372_487e426482_z.jpg

While gaming had always been part of my childhood, I started started going to the arcades in my mid-teens. The bigger arcades had all the expensive, sit down Sega games, and once Model 1 and 2 came around, you could be sure they'd have them. But also, there were some real obscure gaming gems hidden within them.

Thundercross
R-Type
Jackal
Road Blasters
Rygar
Asteroids
Wonder Boy Monsters Lair
Quartet
Hot Rod
Super Sidekicks
Ghosts n' Goblins
Golden Axe
TMNT
Virtua Racing
Daytona
Sega Rally
Virtua Fighter 2
Tekken 2
Point Blank

char0n

I had to look this one up, as I really only remembered it from the gameplay and music...

Gyruss.jpg

This should make it instantly familiar

This one was a blast and definitely had some of the most memorable music/sound FX of early 80s arcade games. I remember it more from hearing it in the background than actually playing it but it was frantic fun, like a tube-perspective galaga.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Virtua Fighter 2 and Konami's "The Main Event" wrestling game. Main Event was a total ripoff of WWF(E), but it was fun.

lvclix

Banned
Spider-Man The Video Game - Sega.
Captain America and the Avengers - Data East.
Superman - Taito.
Smash TV- Williams.
Tempest - Atari.
Q-Bert - Gottlieb.

Bubble Bobble
Rainbow Islands
Salamander
R-Type
Gauntlet
Paperboy
Packrat
Road Runner
Gorf
Super Space Invaders '91
Ghosts 'n' Goblins
Side Arms
Mr Do's Castle
Yie Ar Kung Fu

Let's be friends please.

Also,
Klax
Toobin'
Smash TV

CJArcadeGuy

Neo Member
My top 40

DEFENDER
ROBOTRON
JOUST
Sinistar
Blaster
STARGATE
Smash TV
Turkey Shoot
Splat
Mystic Marathon
[10]

Tempest
Spy Hunter
Qix
Lunar Lander
Space Duel
Scramble
Black Widow
Crystal Castles
Gauntlet Dark Legacy
Marble Madness
[20]

Crazy Climber
Dariusburst EX Another Chronicle
Arkanoid
Miss PacMan
Pac Mania
Ridge Racer
VR Racing
F355 Challenge 2 DX 3
Virtua Formula
Out Run 2 SP Special Deluxe
[30]

Time Crisis 5
Tekken 6 Bloodline Rebellion
Xevious
Juno First
Mobile Suit Gundam Senjou no Kizna
Wacko
Half Life
R-360 Wing War
Cobra Command
Street Fighter II Pinball
[40]

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
So OBVIOUSLY the entire King of Fighters series. Most of SNK's first party titles forever honestly.

Beyond that.
The Gundam VS series. Though tbh, I kinda prefer the originals based on specific franchises like Federation vs Zeon and AEUG vs Titans, to the later titles.
Outrun(Passing Breeze is an all time Top 10 banger and I won't hear otherwise)
The Psikyo shooter library is fantastic
The Capcom Marvel games
X-Men 6p. is a classic of course.

D.Final

Banned
My top 40

DEFENDER
ROBOTRON
JOUST
Sinistar
Blaster
STARGATE
Smash TV
Turkey Shoot
Splat
Mystic Marathon
[10]

Tempest
Spy Hunter
Qix
Lunar Lander
Space Duel
Scramble
Black Widow
Crystal Castles
Gauntlet Dark Legacy
Marble Madness
[20]

Crazy Climber
Dariusburst EX Another Chronicle
Arkanoid
Miss PacMan
Pac Mania
Ridge Racer
VR Racing
F355 Challenge 2 DX 3
Virtua Formula
Out Run 2 SP Special Deluxe
[30]

Time Crisis 5
Tekken 6 Bloodline Rebellion
Xevious
Juno First
Mobile Suit Gundam Senjou no Kizna
Wacko
Half Life
R-360 Wing War
Cobra Command
Street Fighter II Pinball
[40]

Awesome list

Dazrael

Favourite arcade games you say?

Star Wars Trilogy Arcade - love this one from back in the day, still have access to a cab up in Arcade Club in Bury in which I do believe I still have the top score.

Elevator Action Returns - really love the slow and methodical nature of this one, could play this for hours.

Ketsui - it’s still too hard for me but it’s my favourite Cave game, back when they eschewed the anime look of their later games.

Metal Slug - the first one and the best one.

Chase HQ - this just pips Outrun as the best 80s racer, such an excellent premise for a racing game.

Sunset Riders - such a nostalgic game that still plays amazingly well. Tend to pick Bob as Cormano gets too much love.

GI Joe - a leftfield choice but one I’ve been getting into recently. The sprite scaling still looks incredible to this day and it’s super hype to play.

Area 51 - my favourite light gun game. Was quite proficient at it too, could play it in two player mode by myself and finish it. I’d probably have a coronary if I tried that nowadays.

Virtua Racing - used to play 4 player in the local arcade on a Saturday afternoon, best multiplayer arcade game in my eyes.

Final Fight - yep; it’s still the best belt scroller in my eyes, no other beat ‘em up has ever come close to it. Whatever voodoo Capcom were cooking up back then they were unable to capture since.

Honorary mention goes to Killer Instinct as it’s the game where I met most of my mates from back then, that game was an institution

There are hundreds more no doubt but these are the ones that stick out the most, damn I miss arcades.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Behold! The greatest co-op 4 player beat em up ever made. It's a crime against humanity that this game isn't available to download on consoles and PC!

Alien_Predator_arcade.jpg

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Favourite arcade games you say?

Star Wars Trilogy Arcade - love this one from back in the day, still have access to a cab up in Arcade Club in Bury in which I do believe I still have the top score.

Elevator Action Returns - really love the slow and methodical nature of this one, could play this for hours.

Ketsui - it’s still too hard for me but it’s my favourite Cave game, back when they eschewed the anime look of their later games.

Metal Slug - the first one and the best one.

Chase HQ - this just pips Outrun as the best 80s racer, such an excellent premise for a racing game.

Sunset Riders - such a nostalgic game that still plays amazingly well. Tend to pick Bob as Cormano gets too much love.

GI Joe - a leftfield choice but one I’ve been getting into recently. The sprite scaling still looks incredible to this day and it’s super hype to play.

Area 51 - my favourite light gun game. Was quite proficient at it too, could play it in two player mode by myself and finish it. I’d probably have a coronary if I tried that nowadays.

Virtua Racing - used to play 4 player in the local arcade on a Saturday afternoon, best multiplayer arcade game in my eyes.

Final Fight - yep; it’s still the best belt scroller in my eyes, no other beat ‘em up has ever come close to it. Whatever voodoo Capcom were cooking up back then they were unable to capture since.

Honorary mention goes to Killer Instinct as it’s the game where I met most of my mates from back then, that game was an institution

There are hundreds more no doubt but these are the ones that stick out the most, damn I miss arcades.

I love Metal Slug

Top Bottom