• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What can they even do with Grand Theft Auto now?

Back to the 80s, and back to Miami.

Get the mobile phone out of there.

268NebP.gif

hehe, this is pretty clever

DrD

Emergent gameplay. It's an open world game but the missions are linear. Heists are a step in the right direction but it can be done much better and with every mission. I want to see a variety of ways to tackle missions however you like. Kind of like GTA meets MGSV in terms of the amount of options you have. This coupled with better AI would be amazing.

The shooting mechanics can be improved too. Max Payne 3's shooting mechanics in GTA 👌

mazillion

The setting of GTA games have been steadily increasing, from the '60s all the way to GTA V, which was the first to take place in the current day.

I think it would be kind of interesting if GTA VI continued that trend and took place in the near future (2020s?) but if they didn't really acknowledge it. Just subtle details of things that we might expect to see in society in a decade from now.

Nothing too futuristic though, i think a near future setting would also gel well with their pop culture satires, they can exaggerate current trends to joke about where society is heading.

nkarafo

Being able to enter more buildings would be nice. Have some sort of system involving breaking into random houses or buildings to steal stuff, separate from the main story for the most part. The bigger the building, the bigger the security and the reward (money, items, weapons, easter eggs, special secret items, etc).

There should be many different variations of this. You could enter residents to steal stuff or abduct people for ransom or blackmail some mob factions. You could enter banks for heists, prisons to release prisoners who could be used as allies later on, mental hospitals to release a patients for the same reason, big companies to steal plans, prototype tech, etc. Lots of possibilities here with a "breaking in to get something" system for bonus items and NPCs that can be used in the main story.

_Rob_

Story line with perhaps a couple of characters, living in a city but years apart. For example perhaps an empire owning Vercettit character in an 80's Vice City. A plot showing how his empire was built up until his sudden disappearance. Intersperse that with playing as his son in the modern day, trying to find all his dad's old contacts to piece together where he went whilst trying to continue the family businesses.

Either that or destructible environments, a period piece etc.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Give us GTA London.

Guy Ritchie as executive consultant producer or whatever the role would be called.

Rocknrolla_ver3.jpg

Plus whatever other craziness Guy Ritchie has had in his head but knew Hollywood would never allow it on screen.

Give us a whole crew of brit misfits to control.
Female character included.

Thorgal

while i would like a new Vice City game as much as the next guy i fear visually it is going to look much the same as Los Santos .

Much better would be somewhere new .

ActWan

The world itself was pretty shit, a huge downgrade from the living world of IV that had many places you could go into seamlessly (plus a way better plot and gameplay). So yeah, I think V is worse than IV.
And San Andreas missions are more memorable than both, so yeah, there's always room for improvement.

gfxtwin

The only reasonable thing I can think of is to set the next game in Vice City again. It's not like Florida isn't overflowing with stuff to satirize. Maybe even include some missions that take place in columbia or something for a change of scenery.

PillarEN

I wouldn't mind some kind of crime tale in South America. You can still have stuff like crazy modern cities but also various nature areas that were not a good fit for North American-like city areas. I wouldn't complain if they revisited another city again like GTA 4 and 5, but that seems a little too predictable and I don't think many younger gamers (lets be honest this game is played by plenty of teens) have nostalgia for the PS2 era. New locale, new feeling.

For the game part. One character. Even though these games are long I still find that going with two or three is not giving them proper justice for a full story. Maybe take control of other characters for a specific side mission, but when it comes to the main character I'd stick with one. Maybe we are too far removed from the complete silliness from earlier GTA so I'm not sure if things like tanks coming for you will come back, but I'd like that. San Andreas was serious and balls out crazy at the same time and I bought what they were selling. It's GTA. It is a little weird. I wouldn't shy away from that. Lastly I'd just improve combat. Totally fine in GTA 5. So if that is mostly ignored it won't really mean much to me.

1920s/30s Chicago

Prohibition era

Classic gangster style

Mafia 1 without rules.

More than anything else it'd be nice for the series to have some actually good writing which isn't gross awful shallow low-hanging-fruit sub-south-park fanatically-centrist fence-sitting bullshit satire. They put so much work into crafting these amazing, immersive worlds but completely fucking destroy them with their fucking putrid attitude.

Also please stop poorly aping Scorcese, Tarantino, Michael Mann, Brian De Palma, Spike Lee with all the edges sanded down. Do something fucking original for once, take some influences from something outside of every 16 year old boy's favourite films.

I think there needs to be some sort of hostage rescue type thing to liberate all of Rockstar North's environment artists from their eternal hell prison, that'd be something.

bud

the open world was beautifully realized, but most of the missions were the same lineair shit that we've already experienced before.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Full campaign co-op.

When I first heard about the 3 protagonists in GTA5 I thought "what if Rockstar announced later on that they could all be played by your friends". I'm sure it's something that was considered last time but the jump from 1 to 3 protagonists was already, I'm sure, a huge amount of work. But this time I feel like it could happen.

dl77

As a Brit who bought GTA London & GTA 2 when they first came out I'd be gutted if R* went to the future or to anywhere except an American city/county. I just don't think the series works anywhere near as well whenever it's left the USA.

GTA5 had everything I'd want in a GTA world, large skyscrapers, ports, airports, urban areas, rural areas, mountains, lakes, rivers, forests (ish). I'm genuinely struggling to think where they'd go. The thing is though that GTA5 was designed for hardware that came out in 2005 so it's scary to think what they could do without being held back by the PS3/360. I'm hoping that RDR2 gives us a view of what they can achieve on current hardware.

Off the top of my head though I would like to see them expand the environments a bit more. I don't mean in terms of size but it'd be good if the countryside areas had a bit more to them than just grass and trees. It'd be good if there were things like cabins you could go into. It'd also be good if there were more water based missions as there were very few in the game that weren't just side missions you could undertake.

Even now though, whenever I play it I'm still amazed at the level of detail that R* managed to put into it. It's one of the few games where I'm happy just to fire it up and go explore the world even though I've played it many, many times over.

More than anything else it'd be nice for the series to have some actually good writing which isn't gross awful shallow low-hanging-fruit sub-south-park fanatically-centrist fence-sitting bullshit satire. They put so much work into crafting these amazing, immersive worlds but completely fucking destroy them with their fucking putrid attitude.
little bit more colorful than I would have put it, but yeah, as much as I marvel at GTA, it consistently grows more and more out of my tastes.

Give us GTA London.

Guy Ritchie as executive consultant producer or whatever the role would be called.

Rocknrolla_ver3.jpg

Plus whatever other craziness Guy Ritchie has had in his head but knew Hollywood would never allow it on screen.

Give us a whole crew of brit misfits to control.
Female character included.

London is the only city that Rockstar rendered and didn't change the name.

Kurdel

Banned
Woman protagonist, near future set in majority hispanic US city.

The missions and factions just write themselves.

Emergent gameplay. It's an open world game but the missions are linear. Heists are a step in the right direction but it can be done much better and with every mission. I want to see a variety of ways to tackle missions however you like. Kind of like GTA meets MGSV in terms of the amount of options you have. This coupled with better AI would be amazing.

The shooting mechanics can be improved too. Max Payne 3's shooting mechanics in GTA 👌
GTA used to kind of be like this. There's so many ways, for instance to knock off Salvatore Leonin GTAIII. I'm personally a fan of blocking the exit to Luigi's with a car. When he starts walking out he can't get past the car so I lob a Molotov and get out of dodge. But you can also snipe him or soemthing. In Vice City, you're on the roof of the building when the final boss is killable. First you kill Lance and you can go fight the boss like normal. Me? I like to jump off the room of the mansion, take one of my cars, drive it through the mansion entrance, and run the final boss over (who is standing at the entrance of the mansion).

So GTA has had this before, but once IV rolled around it feels like their missions became more scripted and less open ended and I never really understood why.

Joe T.

GTAV was/is still an incredible game to me (on PC, anyway), but I think they went too far in addressing issues many people had with IV such as the weighty driving mechanics and sluggish character controls. Features such as NPC behavior, physics and vehicle damage were scaled back or completely removed, too, like the more animated ragdoll animations, cop/pedestrian interactions, paramedics actually being able to revive fallen NPCs, firing guns out of NPC hands, etc. While I prefer the more responsive controls V offered, I'm hoping they can find some sort of middle ground between the two games while bringing back most of the stuff they removed from IV in addition to some of the stuff they had in earlier games like firefighter, taxi and ambulance missions. Most importantly, I want the more open-ended structure of mission design from the PS2 era games back because it's been the most frustrating part of the series' evolution.

Sande

I think V lacked in the end game. The repeatable missions like Trevor's drug trafficking were a bust, and what's truly ridiculous is that they weren't even worth the time investment cash-wise.

They need to improve the story and mission design across the board. The story in V was a bunch of random shit thrown together mostly to just have an excuse to work at the docks or torture some guy or whatever.

I think Trevor taking over the backcountry could have been interesting to explore properly for example, but it got the same "lololololol everything's so random" treatment as everything else in V.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Just anything really as long as its approached with a little more maturity. Rockstar overcompensated after the serious GTA IV (which I love) and made V a farce with annoying characters, gross humour, and a portrayal of vapid LA that was overdone a decade ago. It was a great game playground burdened with a disappointing everything else.

I want them to tackle something totally unknown to them, like South America, Asia, or a different time period, so they can handle it with care that extends further than a billboard with fart jokes on it. Give me something that doesn't look like a YouTube-comments version of Red Dead Redemption.

I think V lacked in the end game. The repeatable missions like Trevor's drug trafficking were a bust, and what's truly ridiculous is that they weren't even worth the time investment cash-wise.

They need to improve the story and mission design across the board. The story in V was a bunch of random shit thrown together mostly to just have an excuse to work at the docks or torture some guy or whatever.

I think Trevor taking over the backcountry could have been interesting to explore properly for example, but it got the same "lololololol everything's so random" treatment as everything else in V.

Exactly this.

Auctopus

It might be beyond the power of the PS4 and it would take a hell a lot of work but...

Instead of just switching characters, you have two protagonists in separate time periods. One in Vice City's heyday in the 80s and one in a gritty, more grounded and modern Vice City.

Switching characters also switches time periods, ageing the environment back and forth in the process. The story obviously revolves around a plot that affects both characters in both time periods.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I bought V yesterday. Imo, all they need to do is completely revamp the controls and animations of the characters.The actual gameplay is straight out of GTA3, it feels old and lifeless and unintuitive.
Give me MGSV controls/char movement and they'll have a real Masterpiece at hand, no matter the setting.

Oh, and one thing i noticed straight away, they do this shit like for decades now, some guy drives off on a bike you need to follow him/bring him down. But you can only do it exactly like they want you to. Cant run the biker down, you have to shoot him or else "mission failed" - wtf? Give me an objective and let me decide how to takle it. God i hate that stuff.

I don't necessarily need a bigger world. The world size is fine. Just want more interactions with the world to make it feel even more alive.

culafia

Also please stop poorly aping Scorcese, Tarantino, Michael Mann, Brian De Palma, Spike Lee with all the edges sanded down. Do something fucking original for once, take some influences from something outside of every 16 year old boy's favourite films.

I think there needs to be some sort of hostage rescue type thing to liberate all of Rockstar North's environment artists from their eternal hell prison, that'd be something.

So it's not enough to have 80% of big budget games shove overt leftist sensibilities down our throats nowadays? Anything that stays more toward the center or even right and has more politically diverse views and portrayals is just downright unacceptable?

_Rob_

Hahahahaha Rockstar would never work with Liotta ever again, are you kidding me dude?

This seems to be the commonly believed answer, but Liotta is on record (below) as saying he'd do it again. Did Rockstar ever publicly state they had issues with Liotta?#

Q: If there was a 'Grand Theft Auto Movie' would you reprise your role as Tommy

Ray Liotta: I really would have loved to do that.
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2irbil/i_am_actor_ray_liotta_go_ahead_ask_me_almost/

Just anything really as long as its approached with a little more maturity. Rockstar overcompensated after the serious GTA IV (which I love) and made V a farce with annoying characters, gross humour.

I'm sorry to tel you this but GTAIV has a mission where you go on a date site just secure a date with a gay man so you could kill him and the game mockingly joked about it the whole time. Then there's characters like Brucie, your gay former army mate, and more. Calling GTAIV mature is baffling to me. Even at their most reserved these games are embarassing as fuck.

They should ditch the horrible single player campaigns and go all in on the inyrractive sandbox. Make a city that doesn't feel like the fake 2d buildings on a Hollywood set.

DSC04299.JPG

This seems to be the commonly believed answer, but Liotta is on record (below) as saying he'd do it again. Did Rockstar ever publicly state they had issues with Liotta?#

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2irbil/i_am_actor_ray_liotta_go_ahead_ask_me_almost/

Yeeeeeeep

Did he really get what you were doing? His performance was good, obviously.

Yeah, his performance was very good. He was a very interesting guy to work with because we had to have him in for quite a long time – it was the most time we’ve ever had someone like that around, actually – and in some sessions he was so fired up and he was so into it, but then sometimes it’d be like he was in some kind of a hole, and he was very dark and couldn’t work. He’s a pretty amazing guy, kind of an amazing actor. He’s not been in as many good things as he should have been, I think. He is so good in Goodfellas that he kind of doesn’t need to do anything else, but whatever he’s in he always catches your eye because he’s got something about him, and in the flesh he’s definitely got that about him, too. I think he did get it, to be fair. But he made some comments later on through his agent, something like, “Hey, that game was so big I should have charged them more money”, and I hate that kind of chat. It’s like, be cool. You know? I hate that – it’s so cheesy. Like he’s saying, “Next time I’m really going to pin it to them”. Well, how about we just killed off your character? So he doesn’t exist – there is no next time. That’s how we handle that.

For real though, provided they can approach it with maturity, nuance and an actually carefully thought out political stance or perspective, or in other words lock the Housers in a closet while you're writing it, there's probably a really interesting story to be told about a Trump-era 2017 Miami and Florida in an open-world game like this.

He's being respectful and cordial because it's a huge series.

Ray requested 99999999 bucks for his role or something after Vice City's success. Ever since, R* has gone for relative unknowns for their voice cast or for people who don't require large amounts of compensation (Samuel L Jackson for instance) for their parts. It's why GTASA had some unknown guy play as CJ. Ever since Vice, aside from cameos and stuff, Rockstar has made their voice cast as small and as least famous as possible.

Kumquat

I would really like to see a couple of things. One is putting the setting in a new southern city. The second would be having a group of female protags. I mean, who doesn't love movies with a group of disreputable but hot criminal women? They could make so much from those two things.

Ahasverus

Return to the San Andreas style of a whole state. One lonely city feels really limited this day and age, give us another big community with towns and stuff. Make story mode feel epic again.

Still, I think GTA as we knew it died with Online.

nkarafo

"GTA" can't have a theme based on the long past. GTA stands for Grand Theft Auto, you need automobiles for the title to make sense. So GTA can only exist in modern times.

Top Bottom