• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What can they even do with Grand Theft Auto now?

Back to the 80s, and back to Miami.

Get the mobile phone out of there.

268NebP.gif

Yes!

Kinyou

I think they should do one with a police as a protagonist. Feels like they could explore some interesting stuff that way
I'm not sure people would want that. GTA has always been pushed as the game where you play as criminals. Would also make the story more complicated considering how much of GTA involves collateral damage.

Fjordson

There's still a lot they can do as far as tech and interaction with the world I think. Like they could add way more locations that have actual interiors that you could enter and interact with. Could also maybe work in some destructable elements with buildings and whatnot.

Also, the multiple protagonist system from GTA opens up a lot of narrative possibilities. I'd love to see them work both sides of the law with two characters and have their stories intertwine.

It's crazy to me that people are now acting like GTA 4 was an "awful" game. The worst thing that could've happened to GTA 4 was the flood of 10/10 "perfect" reviews, because it wasn't a perfect game.

But it was the first modern GTA, and the first to make shooting and moving around on foot fun. Most of the characters and the story overall felt much more mature and complex than the PS2/XBox trilogy. The graphics were great. They added new systems like the in-game internet, and hangouts/dating (which they shouldn't have pushed so hard, but it was a cool idea)

GTA 4 was pretty awesome, and paved the way for V which in my eyes is unquestionably the best game in the series, by leaps and bounds.
GTA IV was an amazing game imo, but it's always been polarizing. I lost count years ago of how many debates I've read on GAF about GTA IV's driving. It's either great or the worst thing ever depending on who you ask (it's great).

But I agree that it helped paved the way for V, which is certainly a good thing.

Paasei

As long as it won't have so much focus on the MP, I am happy.

Pay2win(have fun) in the current system just doesn't do it for me. That plus the horrible servers and very long loading times, makes it tedious.

Heists and the stunt races are really fun with a group of 'premade' people, but that's about it.

I'm not sure people would want that. GTA has always been pushed as the game where you play as criminals. Would also make the story more complicated considering how much of GTA involves collateral damage.

What I'm getting at is that American cops are above the law, and don't really suffer consequences for "collateral damage". That could make for an interesting topic to explore, if handled with nuance

But getting charged for your crimes is a big part of the series.

lol, I'm a bit slow. Now I get what you mean. But in the end, there really isn't much consequence to being caught in a GTA. If you were a cop, that would make more sense

Iceman

I feel like the momentum of the series is driving towards expanded and more integrated "heists" that incorporates a persistent online presence - meaning you'll be recruiting real human players (their avatars more specifically). You'll have your single player game going, but you'll also be asked to join other people's heists for a cash reward.

If they fully go that route then I can see them reverting to a single protagonist. However, I think rockstar invested allot in figuring out how to balance three concurrent storylines so I wouldn't bet against them pushing multiple main characters again.

No matter what. The game will reflect and satirize a post-Trump America, regardless of the time/setting they choose.

Elixist

my main want is way improved ai. probably need new cpus, but i want the characters in the game to have schedules and shit, wait till their out rob their house etc. let me decide how to make money, bring back pizza boy "mini jobs" just expand it a ton with lots of emergent possibilites, fun minigames like tossing the pizzas ala paperboy or something. tons more interesting things to spend money on, buy a stock broker building opens new minigames/missions to make money. let me be creative, fuck your linear shit in an open world its so lame, yay another A to B story drive *puke* I'd really like the game to just always be new and fun gameplay wise in single player, but it seems like they just want to want to make something linear and story driven anymore.

If this was a save the world or save the Galaxy franchise I would be worried.

This franchise tells a smaller scope story with a grand presentation. Rock* just needs to keep creating memorable characters and stories.

anothertech

Would be cool if they built cities that spanned across the world and linked the stories while letting us romp about in different settings.

Like it could start out in Anchorage Alaska, then go to HongKong, then to Moscow, then to Sydney Australia, somthing like that.

Kinda like different playgrounds around the world to wreak havoc and cause Mahem with a plot that twists it all together.

Strike

I'd rather they stick with modern day than do the 80's again if they return to Vice City. What they had with GTA:VC was lightning in a bottle. The timing was just perfect. I'd don't think they'd be able to create that feeling of nostalgia again.

With the bucks rolling in from GTA:O, will we ever see a single player GTA again?

Grand Theft Auto Online 2

I don't see them ever doing this. I think it will always have both SP and MP components. Yes, a ton of people are still playing Online and they are raking in the money. But there are also a ton of people who bought it just for the single player and barely touched Online.

They have the revenue to do both.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Make it possible to enter every building.

I know it would be a massive challenge technically, but it's the one thing that stands out every time I introduce GTA to new people.

Sat down to play it with my girlfriend the other night and it was literally the first thing she tried. "Can you go in the buildings?" "No, only a few pre-selected ones." Not to take away from the incredible, vibrant world that Rockstar have created, but it makes the game feel so dead and closed off when you run into that. The immersion is temporarily halted.

A GTA where you could potentially explore (or burgle) any building would truly be a generational leap.

SomTervo

Fully rendered interiors.

AC Syndicate, Dying Light and Ghost Recon Wildlands already have SO many. I would have never thought it possible but they can do it.

I know it would be a massive challenge technically, but it's the one thing that stands out every time I introduce GTA to new people.

Sat down to play it with my girlfriend the other night and it was literally the first thing she tried. "Can you go in the buildings?" "No, only a few pre-selected ones." Not to take away from the incredible, vibrant world that Rockstar have created, but it makes the game feel so dead and closed off when you run into that. The immersion is temporarily halted.

A GTA where you could potentially explore (or burgle) any building would truly be a generational leap.
Hah, yep.

For sixteen years Rockstar has stuck to the cycle of San Andreas, Vice City, and Liberty City. I don't know if Chinatown Wars or GTA for the GBAdvance changed up the venues but I have to say I'd prefer they maybe try out a brand new place. I guess to be fair we haven't seen a modern Vice City, so that could very well be the next stop on the trip.

Sounds like way too much work for what would be relatively minor gameplay benefits

What ever Rockstar decide to do it will be marvellous. They are one of the few studios who make the games they want to make and that are not a checklist studio.

Basically anything. It's not like the series reinvents itself every time a new one comes out, it's always pretty much the same thing but bigger.

Briarios

I'd love to see a female protagonist and more about pulling a con than just robbing places. You know, more character interaction to get stuff done that leads into heists.

I mean, you can still have the same stuff, just opportunities to manipulate situations in more interesting, non-violent ways

Raptomex

We need a city that feel alive unlike every GTA, and only one protagonist please
Other than BotW, I have yet to play an open world game as alive as the worlds in the GTA series. My opinion, of course.

Crooked Cop protag, maybe a female detective or something?

More missions
I've thought of this. But I think being a cop could limit the freedom. Yeah, you're corrupt but still. I'm all for a female protag.

As a massive GTA fan for years, my ideas apply to SP. I don't do online.
- Keep online separate.
- Heist/robbery/burglary side missions.
- Keep the crew stuff but improve it. It was terribly underutilized in SP.
- Eliminate hidden packages for 100%. Enough is enough now.
- Gang/drug/turf wars of some kind.
- FPS and third person should now always be included. The new standard.
- Improve AI
- Create a real economy/stock market that remains active and isn't solely driven by story events.
- More dynamic action based side missions.
- Bodyguards/bring back the ability to recruit NPCs
- Open the game for modding on PC. They have to know the community will always find a way at this point. Just keep online completely separate.

Wiped89

A small but meaningful issue with 80's Miami again is the music. Licensing classic music is going to be prohibitively expensive for Rockstar, unless they want to blow the entire budget on music or if they could get some distribution deal with Spotify or some music provider but that's a big risk.

Hahahahaha okay. Too expensive. For Rockstar. It must be the richest studio on earth right now.

Even at the height of Guitar Hero/Rock Band mania the two titles were licensing hundreds of tracks for each game. There's a limit to the amount that can be charged to license music and Rockstar can definitely afford it. Besides, many music labels will WANT to be in GTA with their artist.

One of my biggest gripes with GTA IV and V is how R* cheaped out on the music and put in mostly crap after the amazing soundtracks of Vice City and San Andreas.

Being able to run from the police or other players through buildings, barricading doors, and setting up ambushes would be amazing. But the detractors don't want it because they for some reason think every building has to look handcrafted on the inside.

dreamfall

I think I'm part of the last of a dying breed - bring back the driving mechanics of GTA IV (which I still consider the pinnacle of open world driving).

I also want a more dense and smaller city with many interiors explorable and enterable. I want single player to be the focus and mission design to be creative and unique - tailing missions are fine if they're done with care or narrative purpose.

I want more emergent and dynamic gameplay - if there's a stranger mission marker, I want the objectives to be multi-tiered and complex. I want the story to be a good crime narrative injected with some good humor for relief and a female protagonist.

I want Rockstar to utilize the precision and control of the combat mechanics of Max Payne 3 in a fully realized open world.

Rockstar have always proven to me that they take the utmost care in designing their open worlds - the attention to detail is always breathtaking. I think a lot of open world titles are starting to justify excessive combat encounters with what we consider exploration. Stumbling upon an enemy camp to take out to get some reward doesn't feel rewarding to me. I want story missions to take advantage of the environment, to have set objectives and enemy encounters that bring awe.

I also love the mundane, the details that provide realism. The RAGE engine continues to impress me - rag doll Euphoria and all. The more realistic, the better.

Give me neons!

What about a sort of Mr. & Mrs. Smith sort of deal. Normal couple, but both have their crazy lives, one a criminal, the other an agent.

The agents missions try to catch his wife and the wife's missions are the crimes.

Nielm

I want them go back to Vice City with a character like Michael. Make it a personal story (not three protagonists again please), a man's venture into the criminal underworld.

Maybe include mechanics like The Godfather 2, where you can recruit crew members, and control a business etc.

Stiler

Make the story more personal and let YOU choose the type of character you want to play as instead of forcing you to be the "bad guy/criminal."

Have you be an undercover cop or something like that and have a story that you can change/alter depending on choices you make.

Like throughout the game you are given choices to make and ways to change the path of the story and how certain characters see you.

Do you bend the law? Do you go by the book? Do you go for revenge or justice?

There's so many things they could do with a more non linear story and open character.

Top Bottom