• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What can they even do with Grand Theft Auto now?

But the detractors don't want it because they for some reason think every building has to look handcrafted on the inside.

You say that like it means it's easy. Like that means that it wouldn't take away from other areas of the game. You're suggesting something that only handful of games in the history of gaming have attempted, but sure, hand wave the difficultly or work because NOT EVERY building has to be hand crafted. You're talking about ballooning the amount of rendering needed when driving down a street. The amount of loading that needs to be done constantly. There's a reason the biggest interior buildings right now(outside of missions) are small shops, or in the most extreme, a single house. Even that clearly takes it's toll.

The amount of work that would take, not only on the design side, but also to modify the engine to accommodate, for very little gain, is extremely significant. Meanwhile having multiple eras in a game, would also be heavy work, but would attempt something never done before, in a way that opens nearly endless possibilities in the story, as well as the general game world.

Herne

Much more interactivity with buildings - many more buildings to enter, to be specific. GTA V is very lacking in this regard. They could do London in 3D having already done it in an expansion to the first game, or any other non-American city. Australia would be a good setting (though I seriously doubt they'd move it away from America). It's about time we got a female protagonist, too.

Tracygill

This is unlikely to happen but could a more fictional setting like the retro-futuristic one in GTA 2 work? Has enough time passed that a retro-futuristic setting with a 90's aesthetic feels fresh enough. It could be set in any metropolis but a city in Asia would feel more futuristic. The "three weeks into the future" thing in GTA 2 seems like it could work really well for their satire. I like the GTA 2 Movie, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5lKEGYAmME that they released alongside GTA 2.

the one thing I've wanted more than almost anything in a gta game (other than not having to press a to press x to sprint anymore) is a few more hand to hand combat options.

don't have to make it like sleeping dogs or something like that but just add a little extra. too late now to just crib from the warriors like they did slightly with max payne 3's gun mechanics in V but come on add in a couple extra moves rockstar

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
gta train dont stop until i get flying cars
l5395qq

Basketball

It's probably going to be a massive extension of GTA online ..Seeing how much it profits

but with a fully created character (female/male voice) for single player/online
with coop.

Maybe like a living world where you can role play (see how popular this shit is on twitch/youtube)

RP as a Cop/Criminal/Racer etc

O yeah fuck off with that future trash and Dinosaurs too .. Keep it modern or vintage

I feel like GTA 5 is the pinnacle of the genre. Loved the characters, loved how lively the city is. Missions were fun, heists were awesome. Some great set pieces, good music and a bunch of fun activities outside of missions to enjoy. The satire was off the walls, the stereotypes were hysterical. It was a fun and funny game that didnt take itself too seriously.

Say what you want about Micheal, Trevor and Franklin, but they had terrific chemistry and theres a character for all types of players. Variety of missions for each character, each one had personality.

But what now? Where do we go from here? Can they even push the envelope at this point?

]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/yankeekidfm2/ryan.jpg

Can someone please explain what that picture means?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I think they should do one with a police as a protagonist. Feels like they could explore some interesting stuff that way

A legit cop and a dirty cop, perhaps?

Much more interactivity with buildings - many more buildings to enter, to be specific. GTA V is very lacking in this regard. They could do London in 3D having already done it in an expansion to the first game, or any other non-American city. Australia would be a good setting (though I seriously doubt they'd move it away from America). It's about time we got a female protagonist, too.

I'm sure they've already said that mainline GTA is synonymous with America, and their goal is to have all the major cities connected together.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
interesting question.

I feel the answer is... what R* is already doing. RDR, LA Noire, etc.. also the Mafia series, especially Mafia 3. I wouldn't mind R* dipping their toes into more eras (or revisiting Vice City two console gens later)

Ultimately it's not the new gameplay mechanics that keep us coming back to their "GA-in-[insert genre]". It's being completely immersed in the era. Eras I'd LOVE to see

R*'s take on 60s/70s.
Revisiting the 40s or the 80s
old american gangster era (roaring 20s?)
american revolution (obviously closer to RDR than GTA)

obviously the last one couldn't be called GTA..

I think they should do one with a police as a protagonist. Feels like they could explore some interesting stuff that way

Opinions are mixed on LA Noire.. but outside of the sort of predictable interrogation mechanic.. I thought it was amazing. It's my second favorite R* game behind RDR.

You say that like it means it's easy. Like that means that it wouldn't take away from other areas of the game. You're suggesting something that only handful of games in the history of gaming have attempted, but sure, hand wave the difficultly or work because NOT EVERY building has to be hand crafted. You're talking about ballooning the amount of rendering needed when driving down a street. The amount of loading that needs to be done constantly. There's a reason the biggest interior buildings right now(outside of missions) are small shops, or in the most extreme, a single house. Even that clearly takes it's toll.

The amount of work that would take, not only on the design side, but also to modify the engine to accommodate, for very little gain, is extremely significant. Meanwhile having multiple eras in a game, would also be heavy work, but would attempt something never done before, in a way that opens nearly endless possibilities in the story, as well as the general game world.

Ok? Yeah game design is hard. I still want explorable buildings no matter how hard it is to get it done. And we do not agree on it having little benefit so let's leave it at that.

zkorejo

As great as GTA V was they can always improve.

Better character animation. Better aim/shooting system. Better story.

I'll say what everyone here wants to say but are too shy to say:

I want....

2 Strip Clubs!

just kidding. or am I...?

on a serious note, I really like the idea of two protagonist (good VS bad) where one is trying to catch the second one...

I think they could do something where you're a bit of a dirty cop, but over the story there are other that are way worse who you eventually try to take down

Or you start with good intentions, but are ground down by the system

I like that. Raiding the police armory for riot gear and other badass weaponry equipment would be cool.

Let me trick out various police cars.

True Fire

GTA V has a fuck ton of limitations. They could add destructible environments, unique NPCs, complex police AI, building interiors, seamless multiplayer in single player, warring factions, etc.

They could even experiment with a meaningful story that goes beyond horrible, narcissistic people doing horrible things.

masteratt

How is a cop protagonist going to work when players are shooting and blowing up half the city for fun?

You had to suspend a lot of belief already for GTA IV with Niko going "hey man I don't want to hurt people", then the player goes and rockets a fat pedestrian enjoying her burger in the face for no reason.

I want to be given a target. And then the game just goes "Get him/her, make it look like an accident". So you know where the target lives, or works. You stalk the place, the AI (this one only) has a pattern. you figure it out, how do you make it look like an accident?

A) Check out the target's route from work to home, maybe there is a cliffside you can nudge the target off.

B) Maybe the target smokes a lot, break into the house, shoot a gas pipe. Target lights up on the driveway, walks inside house, boom baby. Gas leak accident.

C) A truck ran a red light and hit our target's car? Well isn't that a shame.

D) Target's work might be dangerous, maybe the target works at the docks. And one of the wires holding a heavy container happens to snap "somehow", and unfortunately the target was standing right under it. What an unfortunate freak accident.

E) This is the more crazy one: Maybe they have a mentally unstable significant other, photo shop the target cheating and put it on facebook, the significant other gets jealous and "somehow" gets hold of a shotgun. Sure, not an accident, but hey, you surely had nothing to do with that murder.

Am I describing HITMAN? Maybe a little. But this is all open world and the world is your oyster and the game DOES NOT mark these things. GTA V was just chasing dots on a mini-map, super dull missions. Do not do that, please.

Remember the mission in GTA IV when you had to snipe someone but he was sitting in his flat. He happened to have a phone by the window so you zoomed in on the phone to get his phone number, called him on your in-game phone and he came to the window to answer the phone and then you shot him. This was simple, yet, genius.

Also I remember Rockstar or some magazine hyping up one of the GTAs talked about how if you run over a street lamp, you will actually see city staff come and repair it some time later. Stuff like that would be so cool.

Maybe you break down a wall and the wall has a texture based on damage. And you got it down to 2% and it's almost gone and then the game spawns repair staff and you see the wall slowly erect again. City staff talking "hey yeah, we are here to give your wall an erection". And you see bit by bit the wall texture going back to 100%.

Living breathing functioning city and the player agency is taken into account.

I don't know man, but Rockstar please push the SP envelope. As some others in thread mentioned maybe even make GTA: Online completely its own brand / team. We miss unforgettable SP play-throughs of GTA. I can't even remember the third guy's name from GTA V or no more than two of the missions. It's deeply disappointing, this is my favourite franchise of all time.

Sande

I want to be given a target. And then the game just goes "Get him/her, make it look like an accident". So you know where the target lives, or works. You stalk the place, the AI (this one only) has a pattern. you figure it out, how do you make it look like an accident?
I get where you're coming from, but even full-fledged murder simulations like Hitman struggle to reach what you're describing, and they do it with a much narrower scope. I could see having one mission with a very bare-bones version of this but that's about it.

I would have them increase the interaction possibilities between the player and NPCs. Right now the NPCs are either minding their own business, fighting, running, or dead. Cops have a bit more to them since they can try to arrest you.

What if you could hold someone up at gunpoint, knock people unconscious and wake them up later, hogtie/handcuff people, pick up incapacitated people and put them in a trunk and so on. This kind of interaction would not only increase the possibilities of screwing around in the sandbox but also introduce a lot of possibilities for missions. Deliver this guy to this warehouse, alive. Make this person disappear and so on. Those are the kinds of things I feel fit GTA but pretty much never happen if they aren't specifically scripted in a certain mission.

How is a cop protagonist going to work when players are shooting and blowing up half the city for fun?

You had to suspend a lot of belief already for GTA IV with Niko going "hey man I don't want to hurt people", then the player goes and rockets a fat pedestrian enjoying her burger in the face for no reason.

Shooting up half a city without any consequence would make way more sense as an American cop than as a typical GTA protagonist

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
A period piece like Vice City, or set in a different country would be fresh enough I think. Sci-fi would be really cool, but for whatever reason I don't actually see that happening unless they market it as a spinoff maybe

Mathieran

Banned
VR maybe? I think that would be awesome and I bet tons of people would drop money on a VR set to play it.

As someone who didn't like V I can think of a lot of improvements. Controls mainly. But also characters, story, let me cheat easier (my favorite game to have unlimited access to weapons and vehicles is GTA series), better missions.

Vice City.

imo the story is inconsequential, they will continue in the satirical hyper real style. it is a question of game environment. cop as protag might be interesting, but would it really alter the gameplay in any meaningful way? if you are still doing car chases and assassinations, does it really matter? Sleeping Dogs had a police protag and it was basically GTA with Batman's non-lethal combat.

I see lots of people suggesting non American cities, GTA to me is a satire on America so not sure how that would work

However, I feel like just recycling the same 3 cities gets sorta old I'm sure after awhile so I wouldn't mind someplace like London or Hong Kong (even though nothing will top Sleeping Dogs).

All I want is Liberty City again. GTAV has been my least favorite since III, I just don't find California all that interesting, and Vice City was great because of the time period, same with San Andreas. But I also love NYC so much that I'd take that over and over again. Just thinking about what they could do on current gen
and PC omg
with Liberty City gets me going.

I would have always put VC as the top GTA game for me until I replayed IV last year, that game is a masterpiece and one of only a handful of games I would give a 10/10 to.

My number one wish though will never happen after V, I just want a focus on single player storyline, not this online bullshit

Lucini

Banned
I loved GTA V for a lot of reasons, but having gone back to GTA IV recently, I have to say there's a lot they left on the bone with GTA V.

I would like to see potentially a Vice City update. Could you imagine what they would do to Florida via modern satire? Miami with a close by Orlando for Disney parody? Politicians? Mar-A-Lago too? Holy shit.

Stiler

A) Check out the target's route from work to home, maybe there is a cliffside you can nudge the target off.

B) Maybe the target smokes a lot, break into the house, shoot a gas pipe. Target lights up on the driveway, walks inside house, boom baby. Gas leak accident.

C) A truck ran a red light and hit our target's car? Well isn't that a shame.

D) Target's work might be dangerous, maybe the target works at the docks. And one of the wires holding a heavy container happens to snap "somehow", and unfortunately the target was standing right under it. What an unfortunate freak accident.

E) This is the more crazy one: Maybe they have a mentally unstable significant other, photo shop the target cheating and put it on facebook, the significant other gets jealous and "somehow" gets hold of a shotgun. Sure, not an accident, but hey, you surely had nothing to do with that murder.

Am I describing HITMAN? Maybe a little. But this is all open world and the world is your oyster and the game DOES NOT mark these things. GTA V was just chasing dots on a mini-map, super dull missions. Do not do that, please.

Remember the mission in GTA IV when you had to snipe someone but he was sitting in his flat. He happened to have a phone by the window so you zoomed in on the phone to get his phone number, called him on your in-game phone and he came to the window to answer the phone and then you shot him. This was simple, yet, genius.

Also I remember Rockstar or some magazine hyping up one of the GTAs talked about how if you run over a street lamp, you will actually see city staff come and repair it some time later. Stuff like that would be so cool.

Maybe you break down a wall and the wall has a texture based on damage. And you got it down to 2% and it's almost gone and then the game spawns repair staff and you see the wall slowly erect again. City staff talking "hey yeah, we are here to give your wall an erection". And you see bit by bit the wall texture going back to 100%.

Living breathing functioning city and the player agency is taken into account.

I don't know man, but Rockstar please push the SP envelope. As some others in thread mentioned maybe even make GTA: Online completely its own brand / team. We miss unforgettable SP play-throughs of GTA. I can't even remember the third guy's name from GTA V or no more than two of the missions. It's deeply disappointing, this is my favourite franchise of all time.

Have the protag be an undercover. Make it about you getting in with criminals and then having to make choices about how far you are willing to go, if you'll cross some lines or not.

They could even start the story a bit before this, setup a reason for your character wanting to go undercover (IE you are witness to your partner being murdered or such) and then time-jump a year ahead and you go in undercover to catch the people.

To me that kind of story would be far more interesting then playing as the usual protags in GTA that are just bad guys through and through.

WorldHero

GTA has a really easy way to improve...give us a functional airport that takes players to San Fierro, Las Venturas, Vice City, and a return to Liberty City.

Go back to GTA IV physics.

More interiors with improved destructibility.

Really digging the idea of being the police as well with options to be a "good cop" or "bad cop"

Literally every area that GTA 5 covers could be improved upon. Most notably:

1. Player Movement and world interaction. I think this covers everything from input lag to making sense of the character's interaction with the world versus what I think the action button should be doing. Jumping gaps, leaping over small objects, grappling things is so damned inconsistent it seems like you can do the same thing in the same spot at different times it gives you different results. There's no excuse for the convoluted on foot controls either. Just make them simple third person shooter esq with a tight impactful feeling while shooting.

2. Mission structure. The further we get from GTA3 the more limited and guided the missions become. We have an open world that serves as nothing more than window dressing now because they've scripted the shit out of missions to a point that would make the COD franchise blush. Beyond this, the missions outside of heists are fucking boring and simple. There is zero variety and with a lack of freedom to tackle such simple tasks as chase guy or kill guy, the main missions of the game are boring as fuck.

3. Story and Characters. I've never seen such horrifically written shit in my life. Lowest of the low. GTA3 worked cause it was simple, the characters spoke in generic mafiaso terms and the cast wasn't made up of a bunch of raving self referential lunatics acting like a coked up you tuber. Seriously, the worst written trite in the industry is found in GTA 4 and 5.

Not to mention the citizen AI, destruction, more building interiors, cop interaction and the way crime rolls up to wanted levels, etc.

In the same way GTA 5 used a few assassination missions as a way to affect certain companies stock markets, I'd like to see more systems with interdependable attributes that the player could dynamically impact outside of misssions to drive effects across the world. Really I just want them to make an open world immersive sim.

I've thought about this a few times as having a sort of 2 character system a la V but with a cop and a robber, a la Infernal Affairs, The Departed, etc.

They could do some awesome things if they improved the 'world memory' where instead of the other character always just been spawned, his actions and location are more persistently remembered, and it's used in a way that it affects every missions.

It would become sort of director-ish where you have a bit too much control over the tension (e.g. purposefully putting the cop far away or too close) but it would also make for some pretty awesome and creative replay value.

Or, they remove some of the control but still just find ways to have your actions (as the cop) impact the robber more.

Either way, there's really so much GTA needs to do it... GTA V is actually a pretty simple game world. Unrivaled art detail and scope but it's like a shell of a game world. So much more they can do with interiors, properties, turfs, activities, dynamic world shaping, economy, etc.

prag16

Banned
Make it fun?

(Don't hurt me. All the GTA games bore me to tears.)

This isn't limited to GTA for me; RDR, DAI, even The Witcher 3; give me too much to do (a lot of which is boring and/or tedious), and a lot of times, I'm compelled to do none of it and I check out. Mass Effect Andromeda is an exception because I dig the series so much.

I like GTA3 due to the novelty of it at the time (though didn't finish that one either); honestly not really sure what they could do to bring me back into the fold short of things that would make it no longer GTA.

Pineapple

Much more interactivity with buildings - many more buildings to enter, to be specific. GTA V is very lacking in this regard.

Every GTA is lacking in this regard, and it's always destroyed any sense of immersion that the world may offer, at least for me. They've previously been hamstrung my memory constraints and weaker hardware, but that really shouldn't be an issue going forward.

Well over 90% of the "buildings" in GTA aren't actually buildings - they're just inaccessible blocks overlayed with textures. That's it. They've become prettier over the years, but every time I play GTA V, this is all I think about, and it makes the world feel infinitely smaller and more artificial.

I want to be able to drive through a neighborhood at night, spot a house, and then break in and score some loot/money. Maybe the people at home don't wake up. Maybe they do, and call the cops. Maybe they do, and run away. Maybe they do, and come at me with a shotgun. I want to be able to walk into a diner in the countryside and see people eating, waiters serving people, and cooks in the back preparing meals. I want to be able to walk into a hotel downtown, purchase a room for the night, order dinner, take the food cart, and then ride it out the window while wearing a parachute. I want to be able to do random, dynamic, interesting things like this in the world - stuff that you think you would normally be able to do, but can't, since most of the world that's presented to you doesn't actually exist.

Games like Breath of the Wild have set a new standard for open world interactivity and world spontaneity. Rockstar is going to have to step up their game if the next GTA is going to elevate the series.

Top Bottom