• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What can they even do with Grand Theft Auto now?

PillarEN

Return to the San Andreas style of a whole state. One lonely city feels really limited this day and age, give us another big community with towns and stuff. Make story mode feel epic again.

Still, I think GTA as we knew it died with Online.

Why do you think this to be the case? Like that future GTA games will omit single player? Wouldn't that remove the games appeal for some customers who like that aspect or just like messing around offline?

Ahasverus

Why do you think this to be the case? Like that future GTA games will omit single player? Wouldn't that remove the games appeal for some customers who like that aspect or just like messing around offline?
Probably, yeah, or will be an afterthought just like the COD campaigns. I bet their intentions of making groundbreaking campaigns is gone.

Tawpgun

They can make any location work. What I want is a better GTA Online experience. Because I can't afford shit without paying real money and the servers and load times are abysmal. Not to mention for most of the content you can't find enough people to play. Needs to be streamlined.

_Rob_

It´s gonna be VC and the 80s.

You can quote me on that when they announce it in 2020.

I have never wanted that the prediction of an internet stranger to be correct more than this. Also if it could have a proper mafia related story strand that would be perfect.

Wozzer

Player Unknown Battlegrounds success
+
GTAV:Online success
=
Prints money

Feels they're inching their way towards a truly large scale multiplayer component, and consumers are voting with their wallets that they want it.

As much as I'd rather a story driven single player offering... I can't deny a 100 person arena game set in a Rockstar world with Rockstar polish would be pretty beautiful.

There's tons.

Customization options, character movement improvements, destructibility and more dynamic worlds, better online interface, new mission types, etc.

At the end of the day, GTA 5 is still on the clunky side with combat and movement. Some of the game modes like Runners vs. Zentornos is still frustrating with character movement.

HiResDes

GTA 4 was already 10/10 and they still managed to go further.

Completely disagree, pretty awful game, 5 was a bit more fun but the narrative as a whole really has taken a complete nosedive...Vice City still the best. San Andreas still the most fun.

GlamFM

Banned
I have never wanted that the prediction of an internet stranger to be correct more than this. Also if it could have a proper mafia related story strand that would be perfect.

I always keep track of everything R*, sometimes I make educated guesses that end up being right.

8uBrywk.png

It doesn't need to omit single player, it just needs to combine the two.

There can still be missions with cutscenes and a story mode. The lovable characters and dialogue can still exist. You'd just play alongside them.

If you want to play in an empty world, then that can be an option. But if you want to play SP-esque missions in a world filled with other players, that's entirely workable, too.

Please somone back me up, unless I am crazy, but...

Back in the day. Maybe after San Andreas there was some rumors and teases about some GTA World game. I know it may be probably fake because the rumors had Jules Winfield from Pulp fiction being a character, but I do remember some discussion about it.

So a game set on multiple cities or countries would be cool. A single player game please.

GlamFM

Banned
Please somone back me up, unless I am crazy, but...

Back in the day. Maybe after San Andreas there was some rumors and teases about some GTA World game. I know it may be probably fake because the rumors had Jules Winfield from Pulp fiction being a character, but I do remember some discussion about it.

So a game set on multiple cities or countries would be cool. A single player game please.

Yes. They registered a bunch of domains.

GTA Bogota also being one of them.

Don´t read anything into it though.

Dubz

GTA in Slat Lake City Utah. The protagonist is a Mormon that is being tempted by his non Mormon friends to do bad things. Yeah, that would sell a gagillion.

Multiple locations, branch out from the US. Rockstar has said that modern GTA is "America," but that doesn't mean they can't also go someplace else.

Washington D.C. and Moscow
Seattle and Vancouver
Miami and Havana
Hawaii and Japan
Boston and Dublin
etc.

Two protagonists - one American, one from the other location.

I like this idea. Especially DC and Moscow.
Set in the 80s during cold war would be amazing. Especially Reagan- and Gorbachev-politics sound like a great comedy opportunity.

Charcoal

Realistically I can see Redemption getting delayed until April/May 2018. Once its player base is established, they announce VI in the fall with a proposed release in the fall of 2019. This is of course met with a delay until April/May 2020.

I don't think they need to top themselves in terms of scale. Just focus on a great story with great characters.

I'd also be fine with a smaller world if it was even more detailed and interactive.

Amory

Completely disagree, pretty awful game, 5 was a bit more fun but the narrative as a whole really has taken a complete nosedive...Vice City still the best. San Andreas still the most fun.

It's crazy to me that people are now acting like GTA 4 was an "awful" game. The worst thing that could've happened to GTA 4 was the flood of 10/10 "perfect" reviews, because it wasn't a perfect game.

But it was the first modern GTA, and the first to make shooting and moving around on foot fun. Most of the characters and the story overall felt much more mature and complex than the PS2/XBox trilogy. The graphics were great. They added new systems like the in-game internet, and hangouts/dating (which they shouldn't have pushed so hard, but it was a cool idea)

GTA 4 was pretty awesome, and paved the way for V which in my eyes is unquestionably the best game in the series, by leaps and bounds.

baconcow

I think they can just keep improving on the world design and story structure. Gameplay is good enough, where it is, but they could increase the size of the world, add more variation in design, and provide the player with even more things to do.

I kinda feel like I'm done with the series. I've found the stories to be engaging enough to see me to the end, though I usually stay for the random mayhem. But that's lost its appeal as I've been there and done that, and there doesn't seem to be much more to add than more multiplayer/social stuff that I don't really care for. Maybe if they took away the police's uncanny psychic abilities, it might be more fun again.

masteratt

I did not care for GTA V, only GTA I didn't fall in love with (outside the tech, even with that, most physics were too 'cartoony') and only played online for a few hours. So I'm in the minority I suppose and with that thought:

I want them to go smaller but make the city very interactive. I don't know about anyone else but I'm bored of whizzing by 90% of the city that is just a back drop pretty much, no matter how good the AI / Simulation may be.

I also like GTA most when they are inspired by a theme. So I want a small town crime thriller with the theme of Fargo (TV and movie). It's such a gripping setting and a GTA where you have a small town you can go into pretty much every interior of (even if some repeated), that is packed with interactive buildings and with those small town characters and town faced with a big crime would be fantastic for me.

But I fear with GTA: Online being so big and $$$$ for R* / Take 2, I'm worried a bit about what we'll get. This extends to other R* IPs as well (i.e: upcoming RDR2).

Hopefully they remember that people like their single player experiences instead of gameplay archaically designed around a bloated cesspit of an online portion.

GTA V and GTA Online didn't resonate well with me.

PillarEN

I got another question about the GTA Online part:

Does Rockstar make money off of GTA Online? I don't mean in terms of selling game copies (and I realize that the number of copies sold of GTA5 justifies it). I mean anything after. Do they have ads, sponsors? Cause they don't have a subscription service.

ch298807

Does Rockstar make money off of GTA Online? I don't mean in terms of selling game copies (and I realize that the number of copies sold of GTA5 justifies it). I mean anything after. Do they have ads, sponsors? Cause they don't have a subscription service.

They sell in game currency.

masteratt

People buy "Shark cash" with real money that gives you in-game money, so you can pimp yo online character (yo).

PSN example: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...=EP1004-CUSA00411_00-GTAVDIGITALDOWNL:ADD-ONS

Ranges from £1.99 to £64.99.

HiResDes

It's crazy to me that people are now acting like GTA 4 was an "awful" game. The worst thing that could've happened to GTA 4 was the flood of 10/10 "perfect" reviews, because it wasn't a perfect game.

But it was the first modern GTA, and the first to make shooting and moving around on foot fun. Most of the characters and the story overall felt much more mature and complex than the PS2/XBox trilogy. The graphics were great. They added new systems like the in-game internet, and hangouts/dating (which they shouldn't have pushed so hard, but it was a cool idea)

GTA 4 was pretty awesome, and paved the way for V which in my eyes is unquestionably the best game in the series, by leaps and bounds.

Yeah some people don't think that, not even close really

Smaller and more detailed/interactive for me as well. I'm not sure I can handle even bigger, these massive game worlds give me OCD anxiety meltdowns.

I also preferred IV over V. Being a European immigrant to New York, I really dug the story and was into it. The only thing I had a problem with was the big social/dating aspect. I'm not interested in that at all and found it boring/annoying.

Zero interest in online myself.

Top Bottom