• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What console game served as your first jump to HD gaming?

Pezking

My first HD game was "Perfect Dark Zero" at the 360 launch, but back then I only had a tube tv with progressive scan, so 480p was my limit.

After getting my first HDTV in 2007, the first game I played was "Virtua Fighter 5" on my new PS3.

TwiztidElf

Dead Rising. I bought a HDTV because I couldn't read the text on SDTV.

I was impressed enough already. Then I realized I was only playing it in 480 still. Adjusted the settings on the XB360 to 720p and was blown away.

Reiko

Banned
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure NG1 didn't support 720p.

928401_67465_back.jpg

From what I played it supported 480p and Widescreen. I wish it was 720p:/

Bgamer90

Banned
I played Gran Turismo 4 in 1080i on my very first (23") HDTV... this was a few months before the Xbox 360 released.

Bgamer90

Banned
Project Gotham Racing 3 on Xbox 360 launch.

I spent hours marvelling at its beauty, particularly in the garage taking screenshots.

Oh and those saying GT4 on PS2 was 1080i? It was 1080i in the menus but only 480p in game. Just sayin'.

Haha really?

If that's the case then like you, my first HD game was PGR3.

Feindflug

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/4/0/1/928401_67465_back.jpg

From what I played it supported 480p and Widescreen. I wish it was 720p:/[/QUOTE]

I'd remember it if it was 720p, that's for sure. :P

BTW NG: Black was such an amazing game and a great overall package...it sucks that we didn't get a similar definitive edition of NG2 by Itagaki with the DLC's packed in and some balance fixes. :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure NG1 didn't support 720p.

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/4/0/1/928401_67465_back.jpg[/IMG

From what I played it supported 480p and Widescreen. I wish it was 720p:/[/QUOTE]

Oh wow burn. Guess I'm wrong lol, I could've sworn it ran at 720p but maybe I'm thinking of something else :(

Bgamer90

Banned
He's/She's misinformed. The game did run in 1080i.

The native rendering resolution wasn't fully 1920x1080 though.

Oh okay.

Gran Turismo 4 looked fantastic. Too bad that I didn't find the game as addictive as GT3 though.

I probably would have played it more if they didn't cut out online gameplay at the last minute.

Anteater

If GT4 don't count, then first game on HD console was Lost Odyssey, then DMC4. I bought a bunch of games though so I might've gotten the order wrong

Romir

Gears of War. which was also my first online console gaming experience. 2006 vs 1996 with PC gaming, pretty crazy difference.

Project Gotham Racing 3 on Xbox 360 launch.

I spent hours marvelling at its beauty, particularly in the garage taking screenshots.

Oh and those saying GT4 on PS2 was 1080i? It was 1080i in the menus but only 480p in game. Just sayin'.

From B3D
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=26733

Lazy8s said:
I think GT4's 1080i mode is just a close-to-normal resolution which is being field rendered (half-resolution images getting interlaced together in alternating screen updates) to 1080 horizontal scanlines.

It's more of a thoughtful alternative for users to have than an impressive technical feat, and whether it even looks better than 480p can be a matter of taste.

The challenge of providing proscan is mostly just programming the mode and set-up options in the game. Dreamcast made this easier because it outputted both the proscan and interlaced signals simultaneously, so support was ready-made. A small percentage of PS2 games -- several high profile ones, though -- use field rendering, and those can't natively support proscan at all.

Phil said:
As Lazy8s pointed out, 1080i mode is field-rendered in GT4, so only 540 lines per field are required for a 1080 signal. The horizontal resolution is doubled.

Makes sense to me how it was pulled off. But that would mean it was not native HD, depending on how you "define" HD.

dc89

Call of Duty 2, PGR3 and Perfect Dark Zero - Xbox 360 launch day. But wait... I can't remember if I had a HDTV or not at the time.

KDR_11k

On the PC it was Abuse, I remember running that at 1600x1200 on our 14" monitor once.

I have no distinct memory of what the first game I had for an HD system was or what the first game I played after actually plugging that system into an HDTV was. I guess it was something like Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts since I recall having trouble with the SD text. Other candidates around that time are The Outfit, WarTech and Earth Defense Force 2017.

Top Bottom