• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you guys think of Koei Tecmo?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Team Ninja and Omega force are pretty cool...Atelier is awesome....otherwise? Myyyyyeeehhh

Prophane33

Any particular reason in getting the Japanese versions other than just to play them earlier? I suppose they'd be nice titles to import because the games are not overly reliant on story.

I read Japanese, so if I have a Japanese console (in the case of 3DS) or Region Free (in the case of PS3/PS4/Vita), it's generally cheaper to get games that are already out in English in Japanese. Also, while sometimes I do like to play a game early, often I buy games that aren't ever or are not as likely to come out in English; for example, 5 of the 13 games pictured there either were not released in English or were released digital only, much later. Oftentimes, like in the case of Dragon Quest (or Youkai Watch), I prefer to play the series in Japanese, and until last year (?) a Japanese 3DS was the only way to play any of the DQ-related 3DS games, and most of the Youkai Watch games have still not been released in English, and some like Youkai Sangokushi (pictured in my other post), will never come out in the states.

tuffymon

Koei has their fingers in so many genres, and have made soooo many good games over the years... this is personally one of my fav... Uncharted Waters II: New Horizons

Been a fan of theirs for years. Enjoyed their Dynasty/samurai Warriors games and spin offs like Dynasty Tactics. Loved the first Toukiden too for the story and art mainly, haven't picked up the second one yet.

Never been into their Gust/Atelier games though. Tried a few and just found them way too repetitive and cringey, not my style despite loving RPGs.

xuchu

Do those vita ninja gaiden games work for psvita tv?

They are play at 30 fps mayne. Constant slowdown. Missing key features and costumes have built in cheats in them. They are bad ports and do the games a disservice.

In terms of Koei Tecmo, used to love Dynasty warriors and samurai warriors back when they were in their 3rd and 1st iteration respectively but I can only take so many yellow turban rebellions and pop in soldiers that do nothing but stand around until you square square triangle them. At least up the graphical and technical power if you're going to do nothing mechanically interesting in the game, however I acknowledge people like them nowadays due to the brainless and shonen aspects of them.

This is also company that greenlit ninja gaiden 3. A game so focus tested and gutted to only have one weapon not to overwhelm the player, filled with QTE events cos god of war was doing it and nonsensical silly emphasis on story about atoning for ryu's past sins or something. I'm still so salty about it that I was sceptical about Nioh even after enjoying the alpha, beta and LCT. However i still have this eerie feeling in the back of my head that they're gonna fuck up the sequel. I guess I just have PTSD after NG3.

Nioh is amazing though and ninja gaiden 1 and 2.

Koei Tecmo PC ports though:

giphy.gif

Pachael

I love Winning Post.

K-T should localise them ;_;
I was half-tempted to get the one on Steam, but idk on region locking.

Sadist

From what I've played...

Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword (DS) which is cool
Opoona (Wii) weird but cool
Dead or Alive series is awesome
Metroid Other M (Wii) okayish
Project Zero II Wii Edition is fantastic
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge is bland
Hyrule Warriors is awesome
Project Zero V is okay

So they're cool in my book

Zenner

I don't think I've played anything by Koei since the SNES days. I loved the second Aerobiz game, and the historical strategy Nobunaga's Ambition. Looking at their wiki page, they seem to have expanded their offerings substantially.

elyetis

Most of these other games have been quick ports of existing console games and they were never going to rewrite the game to unlock frametimes and resolutions.
I can understand not putting the work to remove FPS cap, but no arbitrary resolutions is closer to incompetency than a matter of investing more time for quick ports.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Big fan of NG1+2 and now Nioh, even my goty at the moment. Even though the game is pretty huge, the design of the main missions is very consistent and I love the loot system. That aspect gets even better once you start NG+. Overall just a very polished product that's being supported very well to boot. A Nioh sequel would be okay in my book.

btw I had no idea the NG classics got ported to Vita. Now I wish I had one :p

Tohsaka

They are one of the better Japanese publishers, I think. I buy all the GUST games, some of the musou spinoffs and Nioh was great as well. It's nice that they tend to get localizations out in 6 months or less from the Japanese releases lately too.

Arklite

Aside from implementing too much fan feedback for Nioh, I think they're solid. Mostly I'm excited to see what they'll do with DOA6. 5 was a blast and with the shortage of 3D fighters they could really make a splash.

Mozendo

I like Gust, Team Ninja, and Omega Force (but holy shit was I mad with what they pulled in Hyrule Warriors)

I like em a lot though and what they announce always interest me.

I like Team NINJA since the DOA2 days and I like the Atelier games, so I guess I like the company as a whole even if the Koei games don't click with me that much this days.

Mephala

Yep I absolutely agree on this.

DW8XL looked like a mid tier PS3 game, with barely better character models on PS4/PC.

DW9 still doesn't look amazing, though they certainly improved some aspects of it like their backgrounds and weather effects.

Nioh doesn't look great either, so it looks like it had to give up a lot to get to 60fps.

Is your avatar from Toukiden 2? I do want to get that eventually as well.

I don't know much about Koei Tecmo as a publisher, but I know a thing or two about their two main developers Team ninja and Omega Force.

They're pretty cool I guess? Nioh is a drug, Toukiden is my PS-Monster Hunter, and DOA have the hottest girls in fighting games.

Edit:

Actually now that I think about it "they have the hottest girls in *insert genre*" might be arguable .

Kysen

I really like their games. It also helps that a lot of their games are given with PS+. I can count on their games having good combat.

I hope they start to do better on PC because their ports haven't gotten better in the 3 years they've been releasing games on the platform and it's fucking ridiculous. I guess they can use the engine as an excuse for the majority of their games like Warriors/Toukiden sharing technology and a lot of those games were designed for the PS3/Vita.... But the inevitable DW9 port better change that.

MrT-Tar

I absolutely adore the Project Zero/Fatal Frame and Ninja Gaiden games. Hopefully they series will both continue on current gen platforms

Ascheroth

They make some great games, but they are the worst japanese publisher on PC by a landslide.
I think it'll improve ultimately, if PC gets announced for DW9 day and date with the PS4 version, I think you'll get a good port as it was developed at the same time as the console version.

Most of these other games have been quick ports of existing console games and they were never going to rewrite the game to unlock frametimes and resolutions.
I think you underestimate their incompetene quite a bit.

I've enjoyed their games quite a lot over the years. I'm picking up what Omega Force and Team Ninja are putting down. Fatal Frame is the most consistently good horror series in gaming. Gust is way too prolific for me to keep up with, but I enjoy an Atelier here and there.

They make some games I like and some games I don't, like most publishers. I think the industry would be worse off without them, sure. They seem surer of themselves and what they make than most Japanese publishers, which is quite heartening given the state of companies like Capcom.

Zhao_Yun

Not a fan of all of their games, but they fill out a certain niche that is very much welcome. Also like the fact that they tend to localize all of their games.

Lain

What do I think of Koei Tecmo?
Well, I think that I like many of their games but I wish they were less lame when it came to the PC ports they make: they always have issues that shouldn't be there.

Vlaphor

Ninja Gaiden Black is my favorite game of all time.
DOA is my favorite fighting game series of all time.
I enjoyed Hyrule Warriors a fair amount.
Wish their PC ports were better.
Wish DOAX3 was less grindy.

Kuksune

Got DOA5 on PS+, It made me into a fighting game fan. And i play it at least once per week.

I love almost everything TN makes (NG3RE was...ok)

Not really a fan of Musou style games and i've never playedd a fatal frame game yet.

In summary, I like TecmoKoei fine enough.

I really love some of Koei Tecmos recent output. Nioh looks great, but I will probably never be able to enjoy it. I am a Nintendo/PC gamer so I usually get the scraps of whatever K/T try to port over. So for me they are the company that can make great Nintendo themed Musou games and a rather poor contributor to PC gaming with their mostly shoddy ports on Steam.

Nioh's pretty damn good, but some of the boss fights are crushingly hard and the way the story is told is slapdash at best.

Dead or Alive 2 on the Dreamcast will always be one of my favourite fighters. The perfect game for a perpetually randy young teenager at the time like me.

I love most of their games, and I think that people judge their PC ports a bit harshly, as they have improved a lot since their first Steam releases.

JMTHEFOX

The first ever Koei Tecmo game that I bought was Dynasty Warriors Next for the PS Vita. It was basically Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends with touch features (that I use on occasion) and okay mini games, but I had a blast with it. What's even weirder is that Dynasty Warriors Online was actually my first true exposure to playing a Musou game. Didn't play it much but looking back, it was quite ambitious for trying to be an Online Musou game.

Haven't played or bought their other games on other consoles/handhelds (was going to buy NG3:RE but nope'd out after reading and watching reviews online), but as a console/handheld game developer, they're really great with a few duds (NG3).

When, it comes to PC though, they're a mixed bag. On one hand, DWO and Uncharted Waters Online and DOA5LR (performed decently on my PC). On the other hand, some of their Steam ports like Toukiden Extreme are garbage.

Tyaren

They make my absolute favorite fighting game series, Dead or Alive, so they are great in my book. :) I wished they'd tone the fanservice just a tad down though.

I think of games like Gemfire, Uncharted Waters, Aerobiz Super Sonic, Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, Nobunaga's Ambition, and also publishing games like Brandish and Civilization.

Those were the good old days of Koei.

Love 'em. Big supporter of Vita, make some great games in a variety of different genres and clearly have decent ambitions.

Slightly disappointed they've ditched the platform at the final hurdle, but I won't hold it against them!

Top Bottom