• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you guys think of Koei Tecmo?

twcup98.png

<3.

Durante

Well, on the one hand Koei Tecmo owns one of my favourite Japanese developers overall, Gust.

On the other hand, it seems like their process for porting games to PC is taking a student fresh out of university who has never played a game on PC, and giving them a budget/time allocation of 3 cheesburgers and 2 weeks to produce the PC port. As well as the direction to make sure not to consistently use the best assets for the port.

That is the only way I can fathom why those ports end up the way they do.

Been playing RTK since... 2 or 3... 3 I think. Pretty much grew up playing IV and VI. Never even knew who Lu Bu or Guan Yu were, or if they were significant. Just knew their little portraits and stats. Thought Cao Cao was pronounced k-ao k-ao and my friend berated me in high school saying, you idiot it's Kow Kow hhhh didn't learn the correct pronunciation until it randomly came up with a mainland friend in uni, 'who the hell is Cow Cow' lol.

Wasn't until DW (and one of the Chow Yun Fat films lol Hard Boiled I think) that I realized Guan Yu was important. For me he had just been this generic warrior I recruited somewhere and I liked his beard and stats lol

Never cared for the DW art or style in light of RTK but been a pretty big fan for its gameplay nonetheless.

Love some of their other sims.... NA is sometimes great. The most recent NA was really good. They produced some cool titles back in the day. On the SNES, that Uncharted Waters game with multiple characters was pretty darn cool idea for a console game.

Never cared much for Tecmo but the differentiation and synergies seemed to really help both companies so if it benefits Koei that great~

ezodagrom

For the PC gamers.
I'm fighting for better PC support. As long as I'm here I'll be pushing for better PC ports. Going to be a long battle though.
At this point I wish KT would start outsourcing their PC ports (as long as it's not to Other Ocean or High Voltage Software).

The current state of KT's PC versions are just not worth spending 50~60&#8364; on, not even close.

ReaperXL7

The Toukiden games and Nioh are some of my favorites this gen, they also make quite a few other franchises that I'm a fan of including Dead or Alive so I've got pretty much nothing but love for them.

It's been a long time but I'm even excited for a Dynasty warriors game with 9 which I wasn't expecting.

Dantis

I really appreciate that they localise even their most niche stuff.

I was amazed that they brought over the free DLC scenario for Atelier Sophie. Very cool of them.

My one disappointment is that Fatal Frame 4 never came out, though I have a feeling that's a Nintendo decision, not a Tecmo one.

I would think a lot more highly of them if they re-released Ninja Gaiden Black on modern platforms or at the very least made it OG Xbox BC on Xbox One.

sanhora

For the PC gamers.
I'm fighting for better PC support. As long as I'm here I'll be pushing for better PC ports. Going to be a long battle though.
You definitely have your work cut out for you, but it's much appreciated. Good luck with the bosses.

Would be great if you could also maybe try to convince whoever handles the sales to occasionally do more significant discounts for older games, especially ones like Arslan that didn't sell all that well in the first place.
I'd gladly pay something like 14.99 for it, but it's still 29.99 on Steam despite being released almost 18 months ago.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
They're kind of up and down in terms of quality. Right now, the Team Ninja side seems to be doing well with what they've worked on recently (but how about a new DOA fighting game and Ninja Gaiden?), but on the Koei side of things, I've been disappointed with their recent Musou releases over the past year or so. Hoping that things turn around with DW9 and Fire Emblem.

They also really, really need to get their shit together and start releasing quality PC versions of their games. There's no excuse why so many of their ports are sub-par or are Vita/PS3 ports instead of PS4 ports.

GeekyDad

Always been a fan. I remember when it wasn't hip to be. Every Musou game was considered hot trash. Now it's a thing.

I am a big fan of Samurai Warriors, Dead or Alive, Toukiden and Nioh. If Koei ever went under it would be a huge hit to my gaming life. I've been addicted to Musou games since Dynasty Warriors 4.

Sora_N

Love love love them.

I didn't like DW5 back in the day but once I played DW7 I got hooked and have purchased many Musou games since.

I love their jrpg offerings like Atelier but haven't had time to finish any yet.

I always consider their games when there's announcements.

BiggNife

I wish their PC ports weren't shit but otherwise I'd say they've been pretty good the past few years. DOA5 is arguably the best the franchise has ever been, Hyrule Warriors was the first Musou game I've played that I really enjoyed, and Nioh proves that Team Ninja has actually learned their lessons from the mess that was NG3. I'm cautiously optimistic for FE Warriors and I'm looking forward to whatever Team Ninja is working on post Nioh.

At least on the Koei side I always think Warriors games and always will. I bought Dynasty Warriors 4 on a whim way back in the day and I am glad I did because Warriors games became a favorite genre of mine.

We need a new real DOA game and at least a Port of Ninja Gaiden Black to PS4/Xbox/PC.

It seems like spamming out Dynasty Warriors games is all they care about lately.

Jimrpg

It's kind of self-fulfilling prophecy tho. Do you know why their games have such low expected sales? Because at this point KT are basically synonymous for subpar ports for high prices with little to no post-launch support on PC, to put it lightly. They are basically a joke on PC and if you look at SteamSpy you can see that sales fall off a cliff after the first few games they released, except for games with brand power like AoT.

Even their better ports have idiotic problems.
Atelier Sophie runs at arbitrary resolutions and 60fps. It has great performance too.
But then you realize some of the assets, like the menus and all the 2D assets, are lower-res then the PS4 version. I think some environmental assets are worse too.
That shit is just ridiculous and it apparently happens to many of their ports in some way or another. I'm really curious how a port of a PS4-only game would turn out, but the sad thing is that I have so little confidence in them that I fully expect them to still get some lower-res assets in there somehow or fuck something else up.

This must be a Japanese thing where lower quality assets translate to lower specs meaning a larger potential market. Konami also do the same thing with Pro Evolution Soccer and make the PC version with PS3 assets. DW8XL is also PS3 quality textures I think on the PC.

They still love playing games on a 3DS, a machine with a 240p resolution, its cheap for people to buy and easy for developers, so obviously that's just going to frustrate western PC owners who have gaming rigs with a i7s and GTX 1080. PCs are still niche in Japan where they aren't really any big AAA games on PC.

What KT are guilty of is failure to understand the western market versus their domestic market. With any product you have to understand what customers want, you can't just bring your product over and expect people to take it or leave it.

OuterLimits

Became a fan during the Super Nintendo days. Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, Genghis Khan, Liberty or Death, and PTO were great strategy games.

Really enjoyed the Romance games on PS2. This gen I bought RTK 13 and Nobunaga's Ambition. They are good, but I still love the classics the best.

In regards to Tecmo, I like the Deception series.

Jimrpg

Became a fan during the Super Nintendo days. Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, Genghis Khan, Liberty or Death, and PTO were great strategy games.

Really enjoyed the Romance games on PS2. This gen I bought RTK 13 and Nobunaga's Ambition. They are good, but I still love the classics the best.

In regards to Tecmo, I like the Deception series.

I've also purchased these two games, but haven't had a chance to try. Are they pretty different games or just a re-skin like DW and SW?

The Dink

They both have some great IP's (Libery or Death, Rot3K, DoA, Ninja Gaiden, Deception, etc) but the Musou/Warriors milking is pretty ridiculous:

Dynasty Warriors 2
Dynasty Warriors 3
Dynasty Warriors 3: Xtreme Legends
Dynasty Warriors 4
Dynasty Warriors 4: Xtreme Legends
Dynasty Warriors 4: Empires
Dynasty Warriors 5
Dynasty Warriors 5: Xtreme Legeneds
Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires
Dynasty Warriors 6
Dynasty Warriors 6: Special
Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires
Dynasty Warriors 7
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends
Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires
Dynasty Warriors 8
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends
Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires
Samurai Warriors
Samurai Warriors: Xtreme Legends
Samurai Warriors 2
Samurai Warriors 2: Xtreme Legends
Samurai Warriors 2: Empires (Fucking...really?)
Samurai Warriors 3
Samurai Warriors 4
Samurai Warriors 4: Empires
Samurai Warriors 4 II (Wait what?)
Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada
Warriors Orochi
Warriors Orochi 2
Warriors Orochi 3
Warriors Orochi 3: Hyper
Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate

And that's not even including all of the portable/spin-off/licensed titles and only including games released in the west.
Like...we get it. You made a good game for the PS2. You gonna fix that enemy pop-in yet? Expand on the strategy elements? No? Just more characters, combos and features unrelated to the core gameplay? Alright cool. See you in the next generation I suppose.

I'm indifferent to them now, but Team Ninja kicked some serious butt during the Xbox days. Too bad they went downhill afterwards...

Never really was a fan of the Musou series.

I like them enough personally. I think they make some good to great games even if they have some consistent missteps imo. Would also say they are pretty decent about giving fans what they want.

They don't overreach with what they are doing like other companies have done. With their newer IP Nioh, I would not expect any of their titles to be complete piles.

Though I will agree their PC ports need some more attention.

As a company I think they are fine.

Toki767

They're fairly solid as a niche publisher.

I do think they need to re-evaluate their digital sale pricing though. They seem to be the only Japanese publisher (other than Nintendo) who keeps their game prices high even years after release.

They both have some great IP's (Libery or Death, Rot3K, DoA, Ninja Gaiden, Deception, etc) but the Musou/Warriors milking is pretty ridiculous:

Dynasty Warriors 2
Dynasty Warriors 3
Dynasty Warriors 3: Xtreme Legends
Dynasty Warriors 4
Dynasty Warriors 4: Xtreme Legends
Dynasty Warriors 4: Empires
Dynasty Warriors 5
Dynasty Warriors 5: Xtreme Legeneds
Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires
Dynasty Warriors 6
Dynasty Warriors 6: Special
Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires
Dynasty Warriors 7
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends
Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires
Dynasty Warriors 8
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends
Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires
Samurai Warriors
Samurai Warriors: Xtreme Legends
Samurai Warriors 2
Samurai Warriors 2: Xtreme Legends
Samurai Warriors 2: Empires (Fucking...really?)
Samurai Warriors 3
Samurai Warriors 4
Samurai Warriors 4: Empires
Samurai Warriors 4 II (Wait what?)
Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada
Warriors Orochi
Warriors Orochi 2
Warriors Orochi 3
Warriors Orochi 3: Hyper
Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate

And that's not even including all of the portable/spin-off/licensed titles and only including games released in the west.
Like...we get it. You made a good game for the PS2. You gonna fix that enemy pop-in yet? Expand on the strategy elements? No? Just more characters, combos and features unrelated to the core gameplay? Alright cool. See you in the next generation I suppose.

All that time and money could have been spent on making 100 sim/strategy games. Koei used to be unique. What happened to the good old days of Koei?

I've also purchased these two games, but haven't had a chance to try. Are they pretty different games or just a re-skin like DW and SW?

These are strategy/sim games. Nothing like the trash that is DW/SW.

Ascheroth

This must be a Japanese thing where lower quality assets translate to lower specs meaning a larger potential market. Konami also do the same thing with Pro Evolution Soccer and make the PC version with PS3 assets. DW8XL is also PS3 quality textures I think on the PC.

They still love playing games on a 3DS, a machine with a 240p resolution, its cheap for people to buy and easy for developers, so obviously that's just going to frustrate western PC owners who have gaming rigs with a i7s and GTX 1080. PCs are still niche in Japan where they aren't really any big AAA games on PC.

What KT are guilty of is failure to understand the western market versus their domestic market. With any product you have to understand what customers want, you can't just bring your product over and expect people to take it or leave it.
Yeah, this is the only way I can explain it too, but it is straight up idiotic.
No one actually minds lower quality assets and a low base-line.... as long as the high-quality stuff is in there as well. That's why you have quality sliders and all that stuff on PC.

Tecmo Koei's PC support is beyond garbage.

That said, Ninja Gaiden is my all time favorite 3D action game series (NGB/Sigma, NG2/Sigma2 and NG3 Razor's Edge), classic Ninja Gaiden 1 on NES is one of my favorite 2D action games, and I absolutely adore both Dynasty and Samurai Warriors. Not usually a fan of the Warriors spinoffs, but Zelda was great and I'm looking forward to Fire Emblem.

As for Nioh, it's a game you can hate at first and then suddenly love, through no fault of your own. I loved the combat from the start, but felt that no playstyle clicked with me. I tried everything from tanks to glass cannons. Eventually I found that a full Ninjutsu + Sword build was totally my jam, yet this is only possible after a certain point of the game! (
Iga Jonin set is needed to scale sword damage with the ninjutsu stat, and you won't have enough stat points to do Ninjutsu worth a damn until you progress a fair bit
). But right now, after everything's clicked into place, I love it so much.

Not much of a fan of DoA, DoAX and other KT properties, but they already hold 5 of my all time favorite IPs. So long as you make more Ninja Gaiden, we're cool KT.

I mainly worry that they're slowly grinding Gust into dust. Atelier Sophie was pretty good, as was Escha & Logy, but the general impression I get since Ayesha is that the production values are falling and the storytelling and dialogue are getting rougher. Everything outside the Atelier series seems to be varying levels of suck, with healthy doses of gratuitous fanservice.

I also don't care much for their PC porting efforts. Again, Atelier Sophie is the apparent exception, but somehow Gust managed to put out an Atelier Firis port that was worse than Sophie.

As for the rest of T-K, I can't say I have any strong opinions. Deception seems like a cool series I need to get into someday (the PS4 version of IV sits on my hard drive).

sublimit

Banned
They have been on the rise for sure in recent years,at least for me.

Nioh,Toukiden 2 and Dragon Quest Heroes were games that i really enjoyed this gen.I'm also interested in a lot of Gust games but i didn't have the time to play them yet.

I'm looking forward to see what they do in the future.

etrain911

The Warriors series is one of my favorite series to ever release. I own most of them available on PS4 and PC. That said, the PC ports are total trash and they really need to do better.

Top Bottom