• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you, individual gaffer, think is the fairest way to review Vita games?

Shai-Tan

Banned
I think there's definitely a flaw in the reasoning of some reviewers and games like NFS suffer because of it - but I also think some of the other games mentioned are scaled down games that deserve lower scores for reasons almost entirely unrelated to them being on handhelds. Games like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed on the Vita have lesser design and polish because less effort or talent was put into their production.

I think it's important for reviewers to treat the difference in graphics as a tradeoff because the idea behind the handheld version is it's on a handheld. It's portable, it has instant suspend, etc. It seems like some reviewers are completely discounting the advantage of a game being on a handheld. I agree with the OP that there is a double standard because you could do the same thing saying all console versions are shit when the PC version looks drastically better. Yet they don't because of things that are unrelated to the game.

And if we want games with good polish on a handheld some of them will have to be multiplatform games. I want to play those games on the Vita. It seems to me some reviewers don't want to be playing handheld games.

drkOne

I can see this happening taking into consideration that all AC Liberation reviews were like "eh, this game is weak" when it's a pretty damn good AC for a portable console.
Of course it isn't as good as console AC, but if you're holding it up to those standards then you already missed the point.

Shai-Tan

Banned
It's a very important topic about vita the op brought up. I see titles aspiring to be "console quality" and I am immediately put off by them. Sony tries to paint this image that Vita is a portable home console not realising devs aren't going to push it like they did PS3. They don't have the resources nor the fanbase on vita that is needed for those kind of games.

So we are left with titles that are "almost there" stealing the attention from genuinely fresh and good games that are true portable games.

Maybe they realise this before Vita 2.

What are these " true portable games"? Sounds like genre snobbery to me. I like all the games I have on PSP but I also want games that weren't possible on PSP or were handicapped because of a lack of dual stick.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I can see this happening taking into consideration that all AC Liberation reviews were like "eh, this game is weak" when it's a pretty damn good AC for a portable console.
Of course it isn't as good as console AC, but if you're holding it up to those standards then you already missed the point.

But you could make the case that it's not that great of a game on it's own merits. Most of the complaints I hear are about the structure of the game, how the missions are designed, etc

Top Bottom