• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you love or hate about flying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moai

Many gaffers must fly first class, i thought this thread would be about the nightmare that is trying to fit in economy seats. Im only 6'1 and my knees get crushed if the person ahead reclines. I try to book aisle seats, but it impossible to sleep because of people making their night walks and crashing your feet elbow or even head.
I hate flying.

BamfMeat

Hate: Other people

Love: When there's no one next to me in first class. Or if the husband is flying with me - then I don't have to deal with other people. I make him do it.

If there is another person next to me in first class, I can sort of handle it kind of. If I have to fly in coach and there's a person next to me, I will sometimes rebook to a flight that has two empty seats because fuck other people getting all cramped next to me.

Also, pro-tip - if you're going to fly and there's no first class/you can't afford first class, always *always* buy the upgraded seats and find a row that has two empty spots in it. If the only thing that's left is a middle seat, ain't no one paying to upgrade to a middle seat. The only "meh" to that is, if there are standby passengers, they may get stuck next to you, but of the last 4 flights I've taken in the past couple months, I was either in first (with people next to me, ugh) or I had an empty middle seat next to me.

If people put their seat back, don't get mad at the person reclining, but definitely write the company and let them know. If enough people bitch, hopefully they'll take away the ability to recline. Rule-of-thumb - people are douche bags, and doubly so on airplanes because fuck you they have to be comfortable and they couldn't give two shits about you.

AyzOn

Neo Member
I like everything about it actually (beside obvious things like costs.)

One thing that I really hate though is that it really hurts for me. When I fly I get pressure on my ears. After a while I start to hear cracking noise or something from them and they start to feel like they are going to explode.
If the flight is short enough its over before it really started but on longer flights, man that hurts.

Edit.: Also im pretty tall so depending on the plane, the economy seats are hell for me. And I cant sleep in moving vehicles for whatever reason.

Darren870

Egh, Love - Hate thing.

I love that I know I'll be somewhere new sometimes. I hate that I have to get to the airport early for my flight. Sometimes even earlier depending on the airport.

Love being able to watch crappy movies and catch up on things, but hate having disgusting people around me. Seems more recently then in the past.

Hate the flight back when you are returning from your trip, but love all the memories I've just made.

Could go either way.

Stulaw

I like the view out the window and landing. I dislike pretty much everything else, I'm tall and leg room can get pretty cramped. When I'm in the air I constantly feel like I'm going to drop out of the sky and turbulance makes everything worse.

Coming back home from Tenerife in November was pretty scary, the plane was swaying in the wind as we landed and we dropped quite a lot in the turbulance. The rest of the passengers were like an audience in a pantomime and even clapped and cheerex when we made a safe landing.

The only reason I fly is because it's a means to an end, couldn't get to many places fast without it.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Never been in a airplane. The farthest north I've ever went was Georgia. I live in FLA. I don't ever won't to ride on an airplane either. Scary as hell.

Usually my plane trips are due to me going on vacation.

I love the excitement when waiting in the airport lounge with my family. I love that my kids are as excited. I love looking out the window during take off and landing. Love the butter and buns.

I don't like turbulence and the feeling of going back home from a good Vacation.

Red

The view is profoundly moving. When you watch the landscape shrink and grow during takeoff and approach, you realize there are few other moments in life that are as powerful.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I love flying, being on a plane and enjoying the view. Im super comfortable when doing it, never been scared or worried

I hate when the plane takes off because it fucks up my sinusitis causing almost unbearable pain for a few moments

Opto

Banned
When you suddenly make a drop enough for your stomach to jump to your heart. Thoughts like "did the engines just fail" "oh god my body says I'm going to die" all happening in 0.1 seconds. Then you're fine but you still stay braced for another one

Undead

This week I'm going on a fairly long flight on a 787 Dreamliner, never been on one, always wanted to. Excited to experience the quiet, comfort, LED lighting and so on. Never been on a double decker airbus either.

Depending on your height and shoulders, Dreamliner is OK at best, Boeing designed the plane for only 8 seats across so comfort definitely isn't at the top when airlines squeeze in 9 seats, The LED lighting is nice though.
In all honestly the A350 is where it's at, airlines aren't falling over themselves to fit in too many seats so comfort it high plus you have all the cool LED lighting and it's probably quieter than the A380(which is quieter than the Dreamliner)

BTW for the best mood lighting look at Emirates' star LED ceiling

Ptaaty

I fly almost exclusively in 737s, completely packed, coast to coast "commute style, same two cities. I'm 6'2-3" and long legs, broad shoulders.

Flying isn't very fun.

I can still find some enjoyment out of having some hours carved out where I can watch movies, read books, etc.

Seats are my biggest hate with flying. I need to lay down while I sleep and I also need to have enough room to move myself around once in a while so imagine what economy seats does to me. Even domestic first class seats I find uncomfortable since they don't recline all the way. My last flight I had to get economy on an international flight, but I had an unpaid seat next to me. I thought I was going to get away with it and have some extra leg room. Unfortunately, that seat had to be given to a passenger because her old seat's LCD screen wasn't working. FML

My trip to Europe last year on Delta business class was heaven. I can't wait to do it again when I go to Asia this year on EVA Air.

KRaZyAmmo

I love going to new places and relaxing on said plane. I do enjoy airport architectures (shut up). I love having nee memories with family somewhere other than Seattle. I don't like my ear gets pressured to where i hear cracking sounds and feel like it's gonna explode. Don't like people who recline their seats all the way back (and obviously cost).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom