• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you love or hate about flying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
I like to take pics because the views are second to none

2pwujK6.jpg

Rw64zB5.jpg

qaFULqX.jpg

Weevilone

I hate the security process and always feeling like you need to be there super early. I despise being crammed in like sardines and I have some herniated disks so anything less than first class and I start losing feeling in my left leg.

Not much I like about flying actually.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm like a mini-Tabris.

I have all my miles invested in Alaska (partnered with BA, Delta, Aeromexico, Korean Air etc) because it's by far the best domestic airline (IMO).

So I have their top tier mileage plan (mostly from partnered International flights) and that gets you a ton of benefits - free upgrades, free entertainment tablets, cocktails, etc. It's a bit stingy with its lounge for some reason, but I can upgrade anyone traveling with me, get free bonus miles and loads of other benefits. And again, it's just a great, pleasant airline. In fact without Alaska I wouldn't be best friends with Russel Wilson, Duff McKagin and Tom Skerrit etc. (sat next to them on a flight = best friends).

I also signed up for Pre and Global Entry, which means easy security, keep shoes on, keep laptop in bag etc, and easy international arrivals - straight to a kiosk, grab a receipt, skip the entire line. Anyone can do this for like, fifty bucks. I recommend it.

I get annoyed on short flights - an hour flight requires about three hours of effing about at the start and end of the flight.

I DO enjoy international long distance IF I'm in business class (you ALWAYS get to use the lounge on these flights) - get in my flatbed pod, figure out which movies/Flight of the Conchords episodes to watch, and which passable meal to order. HINT: If you're flying to Japan, Korea, etc - ALWAYS order the Japanese, Korean meal - they tend to be far better quality.

This is where I watch all the movies I couldn't be arsed to go to the theater for, but didn't want to wait for on-demand release. You know, like, Mission Impossible, Ant Man, a Seth Rogen comedy, and so on.

Here I can also get uninterrupted work done, catch up on document reading, answer emails and so on.

I always check seatguru.com to find out what the best seats are (they explain extra legroom, noisy bathrooms, weird window alignment and so on).

This week I'm going on a fairly long flight on a 787 Dreamliner, never been on one, always wanted to. Excited to experience the quiet, comfort, LED lighting and so on. Never been on a double decker airbus either. And I miss the upstairs on BA's 747 (no longer flies out of Seattle regularly) because the window seats have huge storage bins at lap height, which makes effing around with your headphones, computers, etc.

But my number one pet peeve - (US) Airport limos, closely followed by airport cabs. Even with a stern talking to before you get in the car, they will in about 50% of cases, try to claim their credit card reader is broken. Twice I've walked away completely from fares because the driver was so committed to his lie (New York both times).

I use Uber whenever possible, here and abroad.

Rad-

I dislike plane food and the usual lack of leg room. Also if I have a 8+ hour flight and you can't choose the movie yourself and the movie they show sucks...

I like heavy turbulence. No seriously, that shit gives such a good thrill. Best is when it feels like the plane drops 10 meters in a second.

Celegus

Love that it's faster than driving, because it is nearly impossible to do car trips because I get horrible unbearable pain from sitting. So planes still suck and hurt, but at least it's shorter. I also get nauseous and motion sickness on planes, but I can deal with that and it isn't nearly as bad as the sitting.

Frodo

I hate a lot of stuff about flying.

The time you spend at the airport waiting for your flight, the queues for literally EVERYTHING, the bunch of people strolling carelessly with their luggage getting on the way, the lack of good choices to eat, the security checks, the dryness of the air once you are inside the plane, the lack of things to do, the loudness of the hole thing, the inconvenient people, the inevitable baby crying the whole travel, the, in other circumstances a-do-ra-ble, senior couple that insists on talking to you when you are using your headphones, people standing up literally as soon as the plane lands, more queues, and then even more queues on top of that.

It is a hassle really.

A lot of the time I'll just get a window seat, pop a few pills and get in a coma until the destination is reached.

I like the view. Sometimes the tax free shopping.

As someone who suffers from social anxiety, I can't stand the lines.

The lines drive me nuts.

Other than that it doesn't bother me much.

That said, I can't think of anything I really like or love about flying.

Clockwork

Whether I follow commonly recommended tips to avoid this, I always get a lot of ear pain/sinus pressure while flying.

I also have a tendency to get sick (sinus/upper respiratory issues mostly) after flying.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
How do I become an expert flyer? I'm flying to France this summer, I need tips!

SIgn up for the best mileage plan connected to your international flights (could be a domestic airline, do some research).
Check out seatguru.com and flatbedseats.com for detailed seat info.
Consider getting an airline credit card to rapidly boost miles.
Buy noise canceling headphones.
Consider a douchey neck pillow, possibly inflatable to save space.
Take melatonin on long flights.

Whether I follow commonly recommended tips to avoid this, I always get a lot of ear pain/sinus pressure while flying.

I also have a tendency to get sick (sinus/upper respiratory issues mostly) after flying.

Suck hard candy on the way up and down.

It's ok for the most part. There was a time in my life where I was flying 20 hours per week, sometimes more. Still, nothing beats just sitting on the floor with the door open with your legs hanging out taking in the view. However, for the most part it's pretty boring.

TheExodu5

Banned
Love take-off, landing, slight turbulence, and sharp turns in the air. Love flying in smaller planes since you get to feel it more. Love having that window seat as well...I probably annoy everyone else on the plane by opening it and staring out the window every few minutes.

I've only flown a handful of times (cross Canada, and to Asia), but I love it. Except for the fact that I can't sleep one but on the plane. That 18 hour flight was pretty painful with no sleep.

Undead

I like to take pics because the views are second to none

2pwujK6.jpg

Rw64zB5.jpg

qaFULqX.jpg

Beautiful pics.

Love
The rush of speed at the beginning of takeoff roll
The feeling as the wheels leave the ground
Being able to look out upon the world from above, it is so serene

Hate
The stupid security screenings and liquid restrictions, if someone wants to bring down a plane, they will research what liquids, chemicals or powders the scanners don't pick up and take those onboard.
Any single form of US based airlines or security
Any single form of EU based airlines

Last time I flew to the US was horrible, TSA are a joke, the flight attendants grumpy as hell and my god why do they allow people who are 2 seats wide to sit in the middle instead of you know enforcing the rules?
These days I fly mainly to Asia and to say that an airline like Singapore make Delta or United look budget is an understatement.

I will always try to take a flight on Asian carriers now, not many of them have the same labour laws so you can normally always be assured friendly staff and good service with no strikes messing up your flights

You should try some earplanes or something similar and perhaps benadryl

I love the convenience of it. Even flying to Europe really isn't that long from the east coast of the US. It makes the world feel small and anything can be at your finger tips. What I hate about it is pretty much everything else. Dealing with other people, uncomfortable seats, bad food, etc. It's definitely worth it though as I love getting away to a different locale even for just a couple days.

Love:

-The views
-Free TV
-Speed
-The first look at a brand new city from the air

Hate:

-Cost (looking to fly to Hawaii for a honeymoon, and I'm shocked first class is so much)
-Cramped (I mostly fly Southwest, and their planes just feel so much more cramped than other airlines)
-Turbulence (I have to take Dramamine before each flight because of this).
-Rude people (I haven't experienced this myself, but seen it happen to others. Don't give me shit if the flight is full and the only empty seat is next to you. the sooner I sit, the sooner we leave. This isn't just for seating either. I've seen dickheads run through other people and their kids in order to catch their flight.)

Overall, I love flying. It's so convenient that I can put up with the bad parts of the experience.

I can't fall asleep on planes sitting up in my seat, and I'm too tall to lay my head down on the tray table. Flying basically = no sleep.

I hate when people blatantly ignore the pilot and flight attendants saying "stay seated" or "don't queue up by the bathrooms" and they get up during turbulence and stand in a line by the bathroom.

Speaking of which, I hate when people in the aisles brace themselves by grabbing the head rest on my seat, which jostles me around. Fucking reach up and grab the overhead compartments. Even the shortest people can reach that high.

When I'm missing my food menu and the cart lady goes by too fast for me to ask what they serve and order something. Sometimes they ask several people on the other side of the aisle and don't even look over at us.

Joe

I've only been in a plane 4 times but I love how it goes from building up speed on the runway to HOLY FUCK WE ARE HIGH up in the sky in like 10 seconds.

Tabris

My hotel got upgraded to the biggest suite for free :O 2 bathrooms, 1 large bedroom, juccuzzi tub, high floor view, living room, dining room, and office.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I love the feeling of flying. I hate that I've only done it twice in my life.

karasu

I hate the idea of crashing into the ocean being the only survivor and living the rest of my life on an uninhabited island as one of the probable dead. Flying scares me shitless. The fire, the waves, the turbulence. We do not belong there.

Minus_Me

As someone who has clocked over a million miles in the air, flying has always been relaxing to me. Get away from the world for a few hours and enjoy a good book, or get some writing done if I'm up to it. Don't have to worry about what's happening around the world. I fly only business class and on special occasions will spring for first class on flights over 10 hours. Airline lounges are a god send with Emirates and Singapore offering the best food and facilities.

As a heavy drinker, being drunk in the air is a blissful experience as well.

I was allowed to book private flights within Canada on a few occasions and honestly that's about as good as it gets. Catered fine dining tasting menus, private experience with a personal steward, seeing a cockpit is incredible during a takeoff or landing.

To sum up, its an amazing experience every time.

This week I'm going on a fairly long flight on a 787 Dreamliner, never been on one, always wanted to. Excited to experience the quiet, comfort, LED lighting and so on. Never been on a double decker airbus either.

Be prepared for the smoothest flight of your life. Even the A380 wasn't as good in my opinion.

Lego Boss

I hate that I have to take CryingAir from my home town to my wife's hometown in Poland.

It's nice that our town's are closely linked by aviation technology, but those motherfuckers just wanna sell you shit after they've told you to suck it down that they are actually able to get a plane to fly on time from England to Poland.

I wish BA flew to more places in eastern Europe. I flew with them to Germany/Japan last year and it was magic.

Don't get me started on flying to the US with United . . . .

I like walking around airports and looking at the people, boarding, taking off, and getting off the plane.

I usually don't like the flight itself though, unless it's really short.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I don't mind flying but there's a couple things I that are less than desirable:

1. The distance it takes to drive out to DIA (Denver)
2. Flying into and out of Denver. It's always a bumpy ride for the first or last 15 minutes. I've gotten fairly used to it, but there are some flights where it can get pretty bad.

FStop7

Banned
I hate getting to and from the LAX and Burbank airports. The actual Burbank airport is really easy to deal with: short lines, quick security, free wi-fi. But getting to and from there fucking sucks so badly.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I hate getting that awkward reminder that my last name inherently makes me a threat, apparently. And the oh so joyous looks I get once in a while that a brown dude just boarded a plane. Also fuck sinus pressure.

I love that my usual flight route is thankfully pretty short so it's over quick. The view over the rockies can also be pretty nice.

keffri

Dislike: Lines, layovers, delays, lack of space, noise, nausea, food prices, some people, etc.

I don't really like flying.

FyreWulff

This week I'm going on a fairly long flight on a 787 Dreamliner, never been on one, always wanted to.

I've yet to ride any sort of jumbo. The biggest plane I've rode is 3 seats on each side, but have yet to actually ride any with the giant middle row of seats.

But I've never ridden a prop plane either. The smallest I've rode is one where there were 2 seats on one side of the aisle, and one seat on the other side, and the one-seat side was "first class".

FStop7

Banned
Another dislike: Heathrow Terminal 5. How do you build something that looks so cool and is pretty functional and then completely fuck it up with the most bizarre routing of inbound passengers through an equally bizarre security screening? First you run through a maze of tables with signs telling you what a horrible human being you are for having an ounce of mouthwash in your bag, then you go through another maze that leads you to a second set of magnetometer scans.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
i used to love to fly, but 911 changed that quickly.
Now its a giant hassle and a pain in the ass. From the TSA people that couldnt spot a bomb if it was literally strapped to the outside of a backpack, to the shitty shitty attitudes most TSA agents have. To the ever changing and arbitrary rules of what you do or dont have to take off your body or out of your bag. to the constantly repeated message "due to heightened security..." or "certain measures have been put in place" bitch, we been at "heightened security" for fucking 15 years.

the overpriced airport food, mother fucker your restaurant 2 miles down the road is 25% cheaper, wtf is that shit.

Then the piss poor customer service of all american airline companies except for Southwest. Just knock me out for 6 hours between the 2 hours before my flight that i have to get to the airport to be "on time" then the flight and getting out of the other airport.

mhayes86

I like flying and traveling, but I would probably hate it if I did nothing but travel solo.

The worst parts are probably parking at the airport if you're not getting dropped off or taking a cab/shuttle/uber, delays, and just being in a sardine can with a bunch of people and kids, with the chance to sit next to said kids or rude people.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
oh yea i forgot, to all the people that never turn shit into the lost and found, but i suppose thats not limited to the airport or flying.
But i've lost my wedding ring, a hat and my kindle and not a single one was turned into airport lost and found or airline lost and found.

Always the luck of the draw with passengers, but dryness and restroom sinks on planes are a constant. Overhead compartment real estate is a hassle.

Another dislike: Heathrow Terminal 5. How do you build something that looks so cool and is pretty functional and then completely fuck it up with the most bizarre routing of inbound passengers through an equally bizarre security screening? First you run through a maze of tables with signs telling you what a horrible human being you are for having an ounce of mouthwash in your bag, then you go through another maze that leads you to a second set of magnetometer scans.

The security area is always understaffed and congested to all hell. Naturally you plan for a buffer period on connecting flights, but for Heathrow I give myself a wide window.

Lego Boss

I like flying and traveling, but I would probably hate it if I did nothing but travel solo.

The worst parts are probably parking at the airport if you're not getting dropped off or taking a cab/shuttle/uber, delays, and just being in a sardine can with a bunch of people and kids, with the chance to sit next to said kids or rude people.

Wow, so leet. maybe you should travel 1st instead of coach?

Paraphrasing Jerry Maguire:

'Flying 1st class used to mean a better meal. Now it means a better life'.

I frggin LOVE the take-off. It's exhilarating. Also getting where you need to be in a few hours is great. I hate the stress of getting to the airport and through the check-in process. I also hate when the plane has landed and observing the collapse of society as people rush to be the first off.

Love:
  • The speed when compared to other methods (hmmm, 2 day drive or 6 hour flight, I wonder...)
  • The relative cheapness when compared to other methods
  • That general sense of anticipation that comes with any trip is magnified by all the waiting you have to do in an airport
  • Watching the planes take off and land out the airport window
  • Looking out a landscape from 40,000 feet up and trying to guess which mountain is which (before the fucking pilot spoils it)
  • The entirety of George Carlin's "airline announcements" riff

Hate:
  • Most airports
  • All airport security
  • Getting my testicles fondled because I'm traveling with infant formula for the infant that you can plainly see I am currently holding
  • The cost of every single item sold in an airport
  • Lugging bags everywhere (magnified by a billion when traveling with a small child)
  • Airplane seats
  • Every single human being in the airport and on the airplane
  • The way your anus puckers and your stomach seizes up as soon as you hit the slightest turbulence
  • Airplane toilets
  • Inconsiderate shitheads who smash their seats into recline as hard and fast as possible before the plane is even moving
  • The fact that 9 times out of 10 I don't get the whole can of soda
  • Airlines trying to get cute with the safety lecture and making it asinine in the process
  • That overwhelming sense of dread that you get at least once every flight when you inevitably think about a plane crash (like that scene from Fight Club)
  • Trying to repack a bag after your trip and not being able to close it despite not having added anything to it
  • Walking around for two days looking like I'm suffering from tinnitus trying to get my ears to pop, finally clearing them, then having to deal with the exact same thing the next day on the return trip

It is worth paying the extra tbh. If flying London to SEA/Australia Singapore Airlines offer a great package and you get the room and the privacy from other passengers.

2-2-resized.jpg

Oh god that looks masterful. I endured a flight from TX>LA>Hawaii without sleep and I wanted to die.

When me and my wife go back I'm going to save up and spring for a nice flight like in the pic. Maybe not with a TV and stuff but at least so we can recline back more than a few inches! Lol

Minus_Me

Oh god that looks masterful. I endured a flight from TX>LA>Hawaii without sleep and I wanted to die.

When me and my wife go back I'm going to save up and spring for a nice flight like in the pic. Maybe not with a TV and stuff but at least so we can recline back more than a few inches! Lol

18K USD though.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I'm in Hong Kong airport waiting for next flight and it's like 3am pst so I can't message anyone so I thought I would start a thread.

I wanna hear people's stories about best and worst things they experience flying.

I just took a shower in an airport lounge for first time and I feel refreshed! The shower was huge, almost spa like. The flight was relaxing with good meals and I got a decent nap. This was a good flight experience so far.

I like flying personally.

Since Andreas Lubitz, everything. Still gives me nightmarish thoughts. Those poor passengers. : (

Ogodei

I get motion sickness if i read or otherwise engage myself on the plane (movies aren't as bad if they're up front and where i would be staring normally), so if it's not a long flight that will feature in-flight movies, then it's deadly dull and i try to just nap through it or eat my meager meal.

You can't beat it for convenience... if you can get a direct flight at a non-exorbitant price. Sometimes with connections it would take just as long to drive.

Love flying itself for the most part.

Hate airports with a passion.

I'm always stressed out when I have to take a flight, and the flight itself is the last thing I worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom