• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think about Rosalina?

She's a worse Peach who just reinforces the notion that all females in the Mario universe are beautiful and pretty and have light skin and blue eyes. The otaku crowd sure does love her, though. Nintendo is smart for finally capitalizing on this... demographic. I don't actively dislike Rosalina, but I'm disappointed that she's now being given priority over Daisy and Waluigi, who have been shamefully underutilized. Tan Daisy is best Daisy. There's also a member of the competitive Mario Kart community who literally believes he is married to the character and will quit games if he sees other people using her. Scary stuff.

WSgDjrT.png

Jawmuncher

She's a worse Peach who just reinforces the notion that all females in the Mario universe are beautiful and pretty and have light skin and blue eyes. The otaku crowd sure does love her, though. Nintendo is smart for finally capitalizing on this... demographic. I don't actively dislike Rosalina, but I'm disappointed that she's now being given priority over Daisy and Waluigi, who have been shamefully underutilized. Tan Daisy is best Daisy. There's also a member of the competitive Mario Kart community who literally believes he is married to the character and will quit games if he sees other people using her. Scary stuff.

Them getting rid of Tan Daisy is still the weirdest thing.

Well, I think it really just boils down to how each one was introduce. Daisy for example, was introduce in what is for all intents and purposes, a very weird Mario game, and her role is literally the same as Peach in SMB, and in the game in which she does appear in-game she doesn't even look all that different, so it's kinda hard to throw her into a Mario game when there's already a more popular princess who can easily take that role. Now compare this to Rosalina, which appeared in a mainline game, with a unique role, and a appearance/graphical capability to show said difference that easily sets her apart from Peach, so it's kinda obvious as to why Rosie would appear more predominantly than Dasiy. To be fair though, Daisy has appeared in like every single spin-off so, it's not like she's totally ignored.

Messed up my post earlier but at least you still understood what I meant.
Yeah I guess things could be worse for daisy.

ffdgh

WSgDjrT.png

...Well then.

I remember reading an article on this, that theorized the appeal with Rosalina is that she's an actual woman, whereas Peach and Daisy are just girls.

I still think it's the story books and that shes "hot".

SmithnCo

She had a good role in Galaxy and her story was a good touch. Other than that I have no strong feelings. Compared to other characters in Mario spinoffs she's pretty bland.

Neiteio

All silliness aside, my first impression of Rosalina was, "Wait, that's not Peach? Why did they make a new character who looks so much like Peach?"

Sakurai adding extra details like the star pattern on her dress helped improve her design, IMO.

I guess her personality is that she's... "cool?" I dunno, she seems like the person who'd reply to your jokes with stone-cold silence.

What's wrong, with them all being "beautiful"?
Them getting rid of Tan Daisy is still the weirdest thing.
Messed up my post earlier but at least you still understood what I meant.
Yeah I guess things could be worse for daisy.

Well, yeah I mean she could be in Waluigi's category, also, I'm pretty sure she started out white.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
I actually like her. She doesn't get kidnapped every 5 minutes and isn't overall useless in most games like another Princess I know other than Smash and SMB2/3D World. She gets things done even if its with Mario's help but she doesn't come off as this pointless individual that sits in a castle baking cakes and shit with equally useless servants/bodyguards like a certain unnamed Princess.

I abhor Peach with a fiery passion. Only reason why I got her amiibo was for collection completion purposes.

Sorry Peach fans, but that's how I feel.

Personally I don't care for her at all and can't say I've ever played as her in any game she appeared in (she came too late in 3D world. I was already too used to everyone else to even bother) But I see she has a following and if Nintendo wants to cater to them I don't see why not. I do however very much appreciate Nintendo fleshing out the mario cast with captain toad, the re introduction of the koopalings and Nabbit. I feel like more can be done with them in the future and I hope EAD finds interesting ways to utilize them along with making more characters. Fuck generic toads

WSgDjrT.png

Rosalina = Elsa confirmed.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think she has pretty hair.

That about concludes my thoughts on Rosalina.

Cool character, love how tall she is, her storybook made me cry

Yeah I love the storybook sequences in SMG and it opens up Rosalina as a person with a moving backstory.

But now she's just another mascot for Nintendo to cram into fanservicey franchises like Smash and MK. So whatever. :(

SmithnCo

Yeah I love the storybook sequences in SMG and it opens up Rosalina as a person with a moving backstory.

But now she's just another mascot for Nintendo to cram into fanservicey franchises like Smash and MK. So whatever. :(

Not to mention Baby Rosalina contradicts the storybook. Bosman even ranted about that, lol.

Stage On

She's awesome! Her being playable in 3d World is what convinced me to get a Wii u in late 2013 rather then wait a year for Smash bros like I had originally planned

boring. but then, all the Nintendo princesses are. Peach only works because she's supposed to be the protoypical princess, and Zelda was only good when they made her a pirate (who immediately became boring when she turned into a princess).

I love her. I love the peekaboo hairstyle, her teal dress, and the fact that she lives on a spaceship that travels through the universe. But overall Peach>Rosalina>Daisy

Bricky

CTRL-F "Waifu"

Seems like this thread had effect!

Absolutely the best female Mario-character though, love her design and she actually has a decent backstory in Galaxy. Not that most Mario games need fleshed-out threedimensional characters (Sunshine *shudders*), but she provides a nice counterbalance to bland princess stereotypes like Peach.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't really think much about her at all. I mean, it's not like she has a personality. She's just another Mario princess (ok, maybe more like a queen), this time in space. She's fine, but, eh? I have no idea why some people are so obsessed with her.

GamerJM

Banned
Amazing. Her storyline in Galaxy was just the best thing story-related I've seen to come out of a non-RPG Mario game and I love her character design.

There's also a member of the competitive Mario Kart community who literally believes he is married to the character and will quit games if he sees other people using her. Scary stuff.

WSgDjrT.png

what the fuck

is this guy seriously an actual member of the competitive Mario Kart community? How does he play in tournaments when others play as her?

-Horizon-

WSgDjrT.png

Wished I had a Lucina doll like that. I should go make one.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Liked her in Galaxy 1, hate the fact that she's everywhere now. Completely unnecessary.

Yeah, she was fine in Galaxy. Had a cute little backstory and all that. But her being everywhere now just feels forced, like she's only there because they needed a new character and didn't have anyone else. She's not an interesting character.

Astral Dog

WSgDjrT.png

I guess thats no different from other female fictional characters, like Elsa, the main problem with Rosalina is that she looks similar to Peach.
Also, Daisy and...Waluigi? these are the characters that are better than Rosalina and should be more focused on?

Toxi

Banned
I fucking hate fighting her in Smash Bros. It's like pulling teeth.

Outside of that, I don't really care.

Yeah, she was fine in Galaxy. Had a cute little backstory and all that. But her being everywhere now just feels forced, like she's only there because they needed a new character and didn't have anyone else. She's not an interesting character.
All Nintendo charactera arr everywhere though. What the fuck is this "forced" bs

She's the best Mario lady character so far, which is damning with faint praise admittedly, but still, I like her more than Peach and Daisy, and got her Amiibo today infact.

Certainly could do nicely in a leading role too. Galaxy 3 with her as the star would be ace.

noqtic

I always forget about just how tall she is. She is cute and the lil luma's are adorable.

She doesn't seem all that helpless like mario's other girlfriends.

bon

Honestly I don't particularly like or dislike Rosalina. She's okay but she really can't compare to an iconic character like Peach.

On the note of her being the star of Galaxy 3, well I wouldn't mind her being playable but I'd still want Mario and maybe Luigi to be playable. If they wanted to make something like CTTT where it's a game centered around her though, then her being the only one playable would be fine.

Top Bottom