• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think is the most important video game of the 21st century.

Fatmanp

I would say;

GTA 3 - Open world games started to become more of a thing
Halo - Really solidified console FPS
Cod 4 - The progression system became the standard for pretty much every MP game afterwards
PUBG - BR Explosion which led to Fortnite
Minecraft - Mass appeal
The Last of Us - Was the genesis of the "Sony" game
Demons/Dark Souls - I dont recall there being a "Git Gud" mantra before this

Mooreberg

Eh!

"World of Warcraft was a major critical and commercial success upon its original release in 2004 and quickly became the most popular MMORPG of all time, reaching a peak of 12 million subscribers in 2010.[4] The game had over one hundred million registered accounts by 2014[5] and by 2017, had grossed over $9.23 billion in revenue"
The first article I linked to is actually from February 2023. Statista has Grand Theft Auto V at 195 million units as of February 2024. And that $7.7 billion total from February 2023 did not include GTA Online revenue. GTA V units sales + GTA Online revenue are basically the single most lucrative entertainment product ever made.

Dr.Morris79

AmLGDmo.png

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The first article I linked to is actually from February 2023. Statista has Grand Theft Auto V at 195 million units as of February 2024. And that $7.7 billion total from February 2023 did not include GTA Online revenue. GTA V units sales + GTA Online revenue are basically the single most lucrative entertainment product ever made.
I don't doubt, but $9.23 billion total for WoW didn't include past 2017.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Jeez of the 21st century?

Probably like:
League of Legends/Defense of the Ancients - Not sure which one is more deserving.
Halo - Truly made console FPS seem viable.
GTAV - Because of GTA Online.
Call of Duty 4 - Nuff said honestly, kids today cant even imagine a pre CoD4 universe.
Counter-Strike GO/Counter-Strike 2 - Isnt this still top 5 most played game in the world.
Fortnite - i want to give it to PUBG but its Fortnite.
Starcraft 2 - I know its a weird one, but its the first time i even heard of eSport competitions with big prizes for RTS games.
Resident Evil 4

I know im missing a bunch......its a really loaded question.

nothing is more financially successful than cod. gta5 has sold 200 million because its been out for 11 years as the only GTA game. every CoD game sells 20 million minimum every year at full price. Plus their mobile game which brings in 2 billion a year and billion dollar warzone since 2020.

League of Legends does something like 1.5 to nearly 2 billion dollars year in year out.
League of Legends Wilds Rift brings in another 1 billion dollars.

But looking at the ABK earnings yeah CoD is frikken printing money.

People always underestimate how much money Blizzard brings into the ABK concern.
There are many years where Blizzard is above Activision in revenue because of Warcraft and Diablo.
Im too lazy to do the maths.

92478_20_blizzard-makes-lions-share-of-activision-revenues-for-the-first-time-in-years_full.png

Larxia

I see a lot of GTA 3 messages and I think I agree with that, however I think Driver 2 deserves some praise too, because when I was a kid and played GTA 3, it felt like an upgraded Driver 2 to me, driver 2 already installed some solid bases a bit before that.

Another one I can think about, but it's not a positive thing, even if I loved it back then, is Assassin's Creed. The industry completely changed after Assassin's Creed, even more than after GTA 3 in my opinion. Ubisoft started being stuck in this specific design, turning it into a formula, and every other publishers started copying them. 90% of the open worlds we got since 2007 are based on the Assassin's Creed template. It's terrible, it's incredibly repetitive and I personnally can't stand this formula at all anymore, I just skip these games nowadays, but even if it's a negative for me, it's a real fact that Assassin's Creed completely changed the fate of AAA Video Games. It created the "ubisoft style open world".

It's so weird, when I think that I used to love it back during AC 2 times...

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
When I first played GTA3 I was astounded. It is so quaint now but back then it was truly mesmerising. People saying GTA3 are correct. It revolutionised the industry.

Codes 208

-resident evil 4 for being the grand-dad of modern horror/survival shooters (dead space, tlou)
-Oblivion and Skyrim for essentially acting as the root for all modern open world rpg’s.
-halo for single-handily saving xbox in its early days
-wii fit and mario kart wii for modernizing games for the casuals
-gta3, san andreas, 4 and 5 for modernizing city-centric sandboxes and online gaming (even though i still prefer rdr)
-minecraft because minecraft
-call of duty for normalizing annual non-sports games and showing other devs that gaas and p2w is “good”, effectively making things worse for gamers

StereoVsn

Minecraft and then probably PubG which Fortnite copied.

And more on SP side, I would say GTA 3, Demon Souls, which led to Dark Souls (not strictly SP, I know), and perhaps Diablo 2.

Skyrim or Witcher 3 might belong in the list just by just sheer influence they had on Open World RPG genre.

Demon’s Souls. Not the only one obviously, but to me it created a whole new genre even though there were similar type games. Now everyone says difficult ARPGs are “Soulsborne”. (Even when they might not be)

Roblox is not really a game. It’s a platform and paradigm for gaming. One of the biggest games on Roblox right now is a sort of Elden Ring clone. It’s has GTA style games, it has battle royal games. Etc. it’s more akin to Steams influence and impact on gaming than any specific game. From that perspective it’s incredibly important. But IMO a little too early to see if Roblox ultimately succeeds or fails. It’s going to be facing some very real challenges in the medium term.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Resident Evil 4 and Demon's Souls. Absolute game changers that shaped a large portion of the industry. They were amazing experiences when they came out and still are.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Either Halo CE or GTA 3 (not a big fan of GTA 3 I hated it at the time and went back to 2 but its undeniable)

RE4 and its 'influence' on the industry is basically the reason I'm not a hardcore gamer anymore I hate that game with a passion

S0ULZB0URNE

Explain your ridiculous and objectively dumb opinion please.

How did Elden Ring do more for open world games and how is it more important than GTA 3.

Go
Had to be 12 when it released.

I don't have to/won't explain to a triggered about someone's opinion so they quote and whine like a child type person anything.

Not what the threads about.

Fortnite – I don't play it, but it's the young man's game they will have good memories of. And it stays fresh year after year.

World of Warcraft – the king of the MMO genre, it has remained at the forefront from the beginning to the end of the MMO trend.

Assassin's Creed – brings fidelity to open-world games like no one else before it.

Gears of War – this game literally created cover-based shooters and established the modern standard for how games should look and play. It represents the biggest leap in graphics and gameplay.

Top Bottom