• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you want from Mario Kart 8?

Robin64

Mario Kart is going to hit Wii U this year, it's a bit of a no-brainer. I am just hoping that they aren't having to rush to do so and the game doesn't suffer because of it. But I will maintain faith for now that it will be okay. So I started thinking about what I want.

I want the karts to control as they do in Mario Kart 7. Those things were perfect, the level of drifting needed for boosts is spot on, the hop is exactly right and the general driving feels great.

The underwater and air sections should return. I think they really mixed up the formula without feeling forced. Online racing is amazing when you see half the people taking the road and half gliding overhead.

I'd also like to see less secondary characters. Queen Bee and Wiggler? Why not E. Gadd?

And courses.. There are still locations from Mario games that have yet to be represented in a Kart game. Where's the Mario 2 (USA) course? That could look amazing. There should be a Galaxy course that has us racing around a giant sphere.

Also, this game should and could have fantastic Miiverse integration, especially with the Community feature of 7 returning:

New posts in a community you are a member of may pop up ingame while you are doing single player stuff, letting you know there's activity.
It may let you record important races (like, the final of a huge tournament) and embed the YouTube video in the community.
It may allow automatic poll creation, which affects the community. "Next week, what item shall we ban?" as a quick example.
Players in your community could post time trial ghosts, and with the new Miiverse feature of being able to launch a game at a specific point from a link, it could be set that picking someone's ghost automatically opens Mario Kart 8 and has you racing against it within a minute.

Also, make the blue shell much rarer

Hanmik

not this

BIjue5PCAAAojuy.jpg

just this..

logoimage_SOMENIGHTS_bigger.png

like all other Kart games..

Paskil

I don't own a Wii U. If I eventually get one though, it would be cool to see them either include in-game (or as DLC) tracks from other Nintendo franchises.

4 player 60 fps.

No. In this age, you should be able to online with all players.

i adored Mario Kart 7 so i agree with the controls coming back, as well as the transforming karts, though i don't quite expect to see that. I do hope the customization of the karts remains, but i'd like to see a better unlock system

what i'd honestly love is some characters and courses from other nintendo franchises. i've always wanted them to take a more smash bros. approach to both mario party and kart as i think it would give them a fresh take and more series to draw inspiration and mechanics from.

urfe

Honestly I loved MKDS, but felt a bit burned out after MK7.

I'd love a back to basics one.... with every single Mario Kart course there ever was.

Rich!

all I want is this:

- blue shell to be blockable and not so soul crushing

- item select in multiplayer, like on smash bros. Want to turn all weapons off? Sure! Want just red shells? Sure!

- all against all battle mode. No forced teams

-The ability to toggle individual items on and off, at least in multiplayer.
-MKDD/MKDS style drifts and boosts.
-Follow Mario Kart 7's lead with gliders and underwater sections.
-A decent battle mode.

12 player online would be swell. Also, I want them to bring back the free race mode from the DS version where I can toggle the # of laps, difficulty, etc...I sorely missed that from the 3DS Mario Kart.

watershed

Banned
Track editor, more online options including miiverse stuff, a better battle mode, more parts options, and real flying and underwatr vehicles a bit like that sonic racing game.

OutToLunch

Neo Member
Entirely original tracks. Less cheating / rubber-band AI. Or at least a way to tone it down a bit. If it's more of the same I'm gonna pass on the franchise until there are truly drastic changes.

patapuf

all I want is this:

- blue shell to be blockable and not so soul crushing

- item select in multiplayer, like on smash bros. Want to turn all weapons off? Sure! Want just red shells? Sure!

- all against all battle mode. No forced teams

Jep, in fact you could include all kind of challenge like in smash too.

Darryl

Banned
i want stages with more shortcuts.

i liked the short 15-second flying sections from 3ds. i hope those return. keep them short and sweet.

Get rid of the blue shell. It's the most annoying and unfair weapon anyone has ever created in a racing game. apart from that I would want new tracks and more tracks. Make the game huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge

Teppic

Something I like to see is to be able to unlock things through multiplayer. Playing Mario Kart in single player is a chore.

Get rid of the blue shell. It's the most annoying and unfair weapon anyone has ever created in a racing game.

It sucks losing to the blue shell at the last minute, but it's a necessary evil. Otherwise, first place will take off and never be caught.

It already happens that first place can take a comfortable lead in the kart games, but without the blue shell, whoever got first place within 30 seconds would win every time. Getting stuck in "the pack" of racers ranked 2-6 is too devastating.

Not to look anything like old mario karts, mario kart U going to need to look somewhat new to space itself from mario kart 7. Also no blue shell, some new weapons shake things up, BRING BACK SNAKING!

Make the same changes to the formula that SAS Racing Transformed made.

Notably, balance the powerups, even if they have to get rid of the blue shell.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
All the features that Sega All Star Racing Transormed has on the Wii U, included a good amount of challenge for the single player. With the MK gameplay (that I prefer)

Jucksalbe

Banned
- Get rid of some clutter (like the bikes, the selectable parts in MK7)
- Splitscreen online mode in which every player can log into his own account
- New tracks as DLC (considering this will probably be the only MK on the system)
- Extensive Time Trial mode that lets you compare your times against your friends and members of your community.

Edit: And no "wide" tracks.

It sucks losing to the blue shell at the last minute, but it's a necessary evil. Otherwise, first place will take off and never be caught.

It already happens that first place can take a comfortable lead in the kart games, but without the blue shell, whoever got first place within 30 seconds would win every time. Getting stuck in "the pack" of racers ranked 2-6 is too devastating.
I got blue shelled three times in the same race. Its not a necessary evil, its just stupid.

Rich!

A nessecary evil? I was playing MK7 last night. Got into first again after a blue shell attack on lap 3. Got back to first place. Literally JUST BEFORE the finish line I was hit by one blue shell then immediately afterwards, two red shells. Ended up in 7th place.

Because I was aiming for 1st on all races, I had to do the entire cup again.

Fuck that shit. Utterly unfair game design.

Just continue the improvements MK7 made (not looking like shit, having jazzy music like MK64, more balanced items, customization options) but with the following additions:

- Similar level of customization to the Smash Bros series (i.e. item-less races, one-lap-only races, etc.)
- If they're never planning to continue the Diddy Kong Racing series, start integrating tracks from it as part of the retro courses
- Return of mission mode from MKDS, or alternatively a single player similar to Diddy Kong Racing/Crash Team Racing with bosses
- Optional two-persons-per-kart mechanic from Double Dash!!
- Delve deeper into obscure characters like Wario Ware people, E. Gadd or Mario RPG characters instead of bland choices like METAL Mario or generic enemy drones

denshuu

More sense of speed and better item balancing.

Blue Shells every lap, lightning bolts constantly, etc.; All that garbage should just be gone. Or at least give players a way of evading them, like boosting at the right time. I believe Double Dash did that. And the fact that it's literally almost impossible to go one lap without taking a hit from something, just because there aren't enough items on the track for you to block everything that gets shot at you (if it can be blocked at all) only makes the lack of any sense of speed, especially in Mario Kart Wii and MK7, even worse. I never feel like I'm racing in those games. It's always just sort of a battle mode to the finish line.

The course design I really like, the art direction I really like. The characters too. Honestly I'd rather they go with lots of crazy side characters like King Boo and Wiggler because just sticking to the same core cast of 4 or 5 characters who are in every Mario game gets stale after a while. I liked MKDS's idea of just putting Dry Bones in a tank because, why the hell not.

Basically, I just want them to ape everything Sumo Digital did in Sega All-Stars Racing, because that was the best designed kart racer since CTR and no Mario Kart game has even come close to that.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
as top notch as 7, but with online options to rival the best xbox titles.

Black

Banned
The cock pit view in 7 is amazing! Completely changes the feel of the game. Bring that to the console version.

Taker666

Track editor..strong DLC content (a whole new cup released every few months would sell like gangbusters).

I'd quite like the ability to add non Mario/3rd party characters over time....either via the eshop or NFC figurines.

A few new weapons (Maybe something like F.L.U.D.D. to blast people off the road, a bunjee grappling hook).

Top Bottom