• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you want from Mario Kart 8?

I'll be happy to see a cool looking art style, the more realistic the karts the better IMO. I also want rubberbanding that is reasonable. None of that crap from Mario Kart Wii, which is why I never even bought that game.

hatchx

Banned
I am surprised to not see more mention of battle modes. It's like Nintendo has ruined them so much in the past 4-5 Mario Kart's they don't even matter.

Bring back balloon battle damnit. And let us customize the options a LOT.

12 player online
60 fps 2 player online
60 fps 5 player local
Local 2 player one on TV one on gamepad
New items and old items return (ghost)
MK Wii caliber roster
DLC support
HUD-less TV (map on gamepad screen)
Mission mode
friend ghosts and leaderboards (via communities?)
worldwide leaderboards
controls from MK7
online rating system from MK Wii
Miiverse integration

All of that, I would be ok with. But icing on the cake would be a Diddy Kong Racing-esque single player mode, set in the mushroom kingdom.

Dr Prob

Banned
All I want is Wario Stadium and Royal Raceway.

And for whatever glitches that will inevitably be in there to be patched up quick so that playing outside of community/friend races doesn't just devolve into racing the same glitched tracks over and over. Even though I guess it's fixed now, I couldn't deal with it in MK7 and just put the game away fairly quickly.

Subtle

To not be as fast as Sonic All Stars. I can't really play that game because everything is going too fast and I can't keep up.

Slappers Only

I would ask them to haul out the SNES and spend a good while outlining what made that one so amazing.

• The fact that my skill enabled me to distance myself from the pack was a good thing
  • Scale back the "race to the middle" power-ups that punish skill and assist the grannies
  • Smaller tracks where refining your line is the focus, rather than huge-ass meandering theme parks

GimMick

I am surprised to not see more mention of battle modes. It's like Nintendo has ruined them so much in the past 4-5 Mario Kart's they don't even matter.

Bring back balloon battle damnit. And let us customize the options a LOT.
I forgot to mention the old standard battle mode (survival-based instead of time-based) in my list, probably because I don't care that much about battle mode to begin with :lol

-1080p @ 60fps
-4 player local multiplayer that can go online all at the same time for up to 16 players
-large character roster with some possible guest characters
-large course roster (the best from each game would be nice)
-DLC
-no retarded rubber-banding
-nerf the blue shell (make it blockable, ability to turn it off, etc)
-ability to turn off items offline and online
-lots of controls (gamepad, wiimote, wiimote + nunchuck, wii racing wheel, pro controller, 3DS)
-3DS connectivity (cross-play, save game transfer, etc)
-ghosts
-lobbies/matchmaking/easy to get into multiplayer, no excuses this time
-no snaking
-offer more modes than just battle, time trial and gp.
-add more courses to battle mode

and more!

Baleoce

Maybe I'm missing something but, are advanced techniques like snaking not similar to other genres, for examples a fighting game, where people may use ambiguous cross-ups, option selects frame traps etc. or an RTS where you may come across someone who is an expert at micro managing.

In both of those 2 examples there is usually a way in the games to filter yourself away from advanced players until you are of a suitable level where you can actually compete. So would it not be more beneficial to ask them to come up with a tiered rank system, rather than asking them to get rid of advanced techniques from the game? I guess there's a reason for this, but it seems like if you make it less competitive then is that not defeating the point?

I understand the concerns though, I mean, how do you even implement a solid and reliable rank system into a Mario Kart game? Base it solely on points?

31440.gif

Snaking + rankings/matchmaking + item switch

People who complain about snaking are complaining that someone else was better than them at the game, which is absurd. Mario Kart DS is the most competitive and skill-based Mario Kart ever made. Highlight of the series for me and my friends. It went beyond being a time-wasting party game and was actually a competitive thing for us for a while.

Item switch would be great. Turning off blue shells would help balance the gameplay, and even just limiting it to green shells and bananas would be fun.

And to keep everyone from bitching about losing, it should have tiers/ranks like any other competitive multiplayer game. Snakers will get grouped with snakers. Non-snakers will remain low and can race with each other.

Or they could split it up into competitive and casual sections.

None of this is going to happen. I still can't believe they got rid of moving the joystick left/right to gain sparks in Mario Kart Wii. It was a series staple until people bitched about Mario Kart DS. Did it return in Mario Kart 7? I'm assuming it didn't.

Also, +1 track editor, tons of tracks, classic battle mode, and omg Bob-omb Battlefield idea is the greatest thing I've ever heard.

100% agreement. This would be the bestest Mario Kart if it comes true, obviously it won't.

Kouriozan

GAF, I'm disappointed on you.
Based on my extensive two-seconds-long search, no one has mentioned Mario Kart DS' Mission Mode so far?
Glorious stuff, I tell ya, and certainly gave the game much more replayability than Mario Kart 7 by itself.

I agree, need some sort of Mission Mode, I also like MK Wii Challenges but too bad it wasn't avaible every time.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Content. Really get away from the same expected updates with 16 new and 16 refreshed tracks.

Further the tracks need a shakeup, more environmental obstacles and less focus on the items. Driving in mk no longer feels skill based as the tracks are way too bland to get through. Items, and only a select annoying few, is really what the experience has become.

Driving model is ok but again tracks rarely task the player to negotiate them with much precision.

Woffls

A multiplayer mode where the Gamepad player controls things on the track - stuff like powerups, scenery, water, doors etc - and can screw over the racers and try to engineer a victory... or just slow everyone down. The beauty will be in someone winning despite the GP player's best efforts.

I don't want just another Mario Kart game, so I hope Nintendo do some fun stuff with the Gamepad.

Bodacious

Banned
It sucks losing to the blue shell at the last minute, but it's a necessary evil. Otherwise, first place will take off and never be caught.

It already happens that first place can take a comfortable lead in the kart games, but without the blue shell, whoever got first place within 30 seconds would win every time. Getting stuck in "the pack" of racers ranked 2-6 is too devastating.

You ever watch F1? What you described is called racing IRL.

31440.gif

Snaking + rankings/matchmaking + item switch

People who complain about snaking are complaining that someone else was better than them at the game, which is absurd. Mario Kart DS is the most competitive and skill-based Mario Kart ever made. Highlight of the series for me and my friends. It went beyond being a time-wasting party game and was actually a competitive thing for us for a while.

Item switch would be great. Turning off blue shells would help balance the gameplay, and even just limiting it to green shells and bananas would be fun.

And to keep everyone from bitching about losing, it should have tiers/ranks like any other competitive multiplayer game. Snakers will get grouped with snakers. Non-snakers will remain low and can race with each other.

Or they could split it up into competitive and casual sections.

None of this is going to happen. I still can't believe they got rid of moving the joystick left/right to gain sparks in Mario Kart Wii. It was a series staple until people bitched about Mario Kart DS. Did it return in Mario Kart 7? I'm assuming it didn't.

Also, +1 track editor, tons of tracks, classic battle mode, and omg Bob-omb Battlefield idea is the greatest thing I've ever heard.
WOw thank god for this beautiful post. Its 100% accurate. Snaking ftw!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Snaking is annoying and boring. Why would you want it back? Just because it gave you an edge on people that couldn't do it?
I'd rather they find something that's hard to do but still fun to do.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You ever watch F1? What you described is called racing IRL.
While in the lead you have the advantage of getting all the coins for speed boosts, item boxes in the easiest position, only one person attacking you which you can easily defend against and basically laying all traps behind you.

Last I checked, F1 doesn't have those factors.

Snaking is annoying and boring. Why would you want it back? Just because it gave you an edge on people that couldn't do it?
I'd rather they find something that's hard to do but still fun to do.
Snaking is not hard at all. Yea it gives me a edge I have more skill I should win and you should not. Mario kart Wii is just free for all whatever happens happens type game.

I do like MK7 though. Wish snaking was in there though. You can kind of snake in the first sonic racing but they took it out of transformed and that game is about as skilless as mario kart wii.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The best alternative for me would simply be to make the tracks harder or at least add hard to use shortcuts (not hard to find, but hard to use, with big risks, like falling into the water if you can't do it right). At least that would be better than some kind of expert technique that you'd have to use 90% of the time.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Personally it wasnt boring to me. I do agree they need to find a alternative.
They did, it's called the drift mechanic. Now you have to have the skill to decide whether drifting long enough is worth the risk of bumping the edge of the course and losing all momentum.

The best alternative for me would simply be to make the tracks harder or at least add hard to use shortcuts (not hard to find, but hard to use, with big risks, like falling into the water if you can't do it right). At least that would be better than some kind of expert technique that you'd have to use 90% of the time.
Didn't one of the Wuhu Islands have a hard to use "shortcut" (it just cut off a corner)? If you entered at the wrong angle you were guaranteed to fall in the water. I don't think I've seen anyone risk it online.

trinest

Keep how the Wii one allowed an extra person to go online with you locally, add the ability to do more then one extra person.

JoeInky

Didn't one of the Wuhu Islands have a hard to use "shortcut" (it just cut off a corner)? If you entered at the wrong angle you were guaranteed to fall in the water. I don't think I've seen anyone risk it online.

That was a bug that everyone abused until it was patched out.

You were pretty much guaranteed to have 50% of your opponents picking that track before the glitch got removed.

mooseman

They can have some cool new tracks and bring an open world battle mode (similar to Twisted Metal) but instead of guns just shells and other power ups. I would play the hell out of that!

Davey Cakes

Now everyone just picks Rainbow Road. Sigh. Seriously, people, we JUST raced on Rainbow Road, don't pick it again!
Brings me back to Mario Kart Wii and Luigi Circuit.

Variety is nice. I like not having to play on the same tracks again and again.

Roo

You were pretty much guaranteed to have 50% of your opponents picking that track before the glitch got removed.

Sounds like Grumble Volcano from Mario Kart Wii all over again.
The sad part is.. They never patched that track. Such a shame because it is one of my favorite tracks from the game (offline of course because online was a nightmare with losers picking it all the time to do that hideous shortcut)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

No, not the bug, on the first one (daytime) there are a series of podiums sticking out of the water with speed boosts. You can either carry on on the road or risk cutting the corner and getting a boost in speed. However since they are over water, enter at the wrong angle and you'll fly off in the wrong direction.

Now everyone just picks Rainbow Road. Sigh. Seriously, people, we JUST raced on Rainbow Road, don't pick it again!
After a track is raced on that track should be disabled for the next three races.

beta_fuse

12 player online
60 fps 2 player online
60 fps 5 player local
Local 2 player one on TV one on gamepad
New items and old items return (ghost)
MK Wii caliber roster
DLC support
HUD-less TV (map on gamepad screen)
Mission mode
friend ghosts and leaderboards (via communities?)
worldwide leaderboards
controls from MK7
online rating system from MK Wii
Miiverse integration

All of that, I would be ok with. But icing on the cake would be a Diddy Kong Racing-esque single player mode, set in the mushroom kingdom.

All of the above please. Also give me an option to allow online voice chat for when I play with my friends.

JoeInky

No, not the bug, on the first one (daytime) there are a series of podiums sticking out of the water with speed boosts. You can either carry on on the road or risk cutting the corner and getting a boost in speed. However since they are over water, enter at the wrong angle and you'll fly off in the wrong direction.

I know the one you mean now, the problem with that one is that the reward isn't worth the risk 90% of the time, it really isn't much of a shortcut.

JulianImp

Block Fort

This. It still hasn't been toppled as my favorite battle course.

After a track is raced on that track should be disabled for the next three races.

This is another great suggestion. I really hated playing in the same courses over and over all the time, regardless of how awesome they might be.

I'd go for:
  • Items not despawning after some time (at least in battle mode), since I always used to build obstacle courses in Block Fort, or fillig the ground level with green shells (to the point the N64 would stop drawing them) and jumping down to see if we could make it back without getting hit. Despawning items make that kind of things impossible.
  • The spiny shell hitting players on its way to first place (I think it does that in MK7, but I haven't played it yet)
  • Powerful items somehow degrading after you store them for too long, to avoid blue shell hoarding and other unfun tactics. Alternatively, bring back the GUI that displayed the item each player was carrying, like in MKDS
  • Somewhat better kart balance, since MKDS and MKWii were a bit too biased towards high acceleration karts and bikes, respectibely
  • More variety in the character roster (ie: adding E. Gadd and bringing Waluigi back)
  • Free-for-all battle mode
  • A system that reliably spots hackers and either kicks them out or forces them to play fair (ie: "muting" their item use for the rest of the race, anyone?)
  • MKDS-like mission mode
  • Smash Bros-like item and lap customization
  • Additional DLC missions, courses (mostly retro ones), karts and/or characters being released every now and then
  • Time trial sharing both with friends and globally
  • A track editor would be awesome, even if we were forced to build floating rainbow road-esque levels to allow more building freedom (the AI would probably suck there, though). Sharing tracks or posting them online would be even better
  • Community-hosted time trial tournaments, where players can send their times and they can be seen in the community's event page or something like that
  • Replays

Top Bottom