• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you want from Mario Kart 8?

Laffer

I always thought it would be great to have a Mario Kart U(niverse) with all the tracks from all the previous games (even if they are added later via DLC).

Also, why not an option to choose from the different gameplay styles from all the old Mario Karts?
- Two players in Kart like in DD
- Snes style
- Mario Kart 7 Style
- Bikes and Karts (Wii style)...

All those customization options plus a good online plus a course editor would make the perfect game for me.

Roo

32 tracks - 16 GP and 16 Retro
Smooth online. Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart are amazing in this aspect.
16 players online.
DLC down the road (Retro or grand prix, I don't care)
Tracks full of life/ stuff going on. MKW felt so barren and soulless.
No bikes
Retro karts hhhhhggggggg
Make the gliding mechanics return but get rid of the underwater ones.
More balanced items. I hated the Blue shell hitting me two feet away from the finish line FFFFFUUUUUUUU
Gorgeous graphics ( it's time, Nintendo)

Not including stuff like track editor or top Sonic Transformed because I know I'll end up disappointed.

BDGAME

- New graphical engine that don't look NGC in HD
- voice chat
- More online players
- DLC to make sure that we will have all MK tracks in 1 game
-OFF-TV

bumpkin

Not to look anything like old mario karts, mario kart U going to need to look somewhat new to space itself from mario kart 7. Also no blue shell, some new weapons shake things up, BRING BACK SNAKING!
I will never play the game online if this happens. That was such bullshit in MK DS. Completely ruined the online for anyone who just wanted to race normally.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
How is this first reply not getting more attention?
If we pretend the idea doesn't exist we can't be disappointed when it doesn't materialise right...

None of the stupid coins systems of the lask MK. I hated that I just got random kart parts that I would never use.
Er... they weren't just there for unlocks. The more coins you got, the faster you went with 10 coins being your maximum speed. Time Trials were all about finding the optimum route that allows you to collect 10 coins quickly while not going out of your way to get them.

I want more fun and wacky race types.

How about infinite boost mode? Infinite power slide mode? Free fall mode? Etc

These should be customizable like smash bros.

Village

Go huge track wise in size and in theme. Sega has the advantage because they can draw from several different game franchises to make tracks. But Mario incorporates Mario, Dr.Mario, Donkey Kong and his country, Wario treasure hunting and his mini-game wares, and peaches game and her inclusion in games.

Make tracks from these games and include characters from these things. Don't just make a track and then slap a character on it and then supposedly its this characters track. Put some spirit into it, why the hell would Waluigi even own a damn stadium.

When I play a track in sonic in the sonic and Sega series ( ESPECIALLY TRANSFORMED, YA KNOW WHAT, ASSUME THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. ) Its the game it is representing, it gets me interested in the game that it is from and make me want to know more about it. I had never even heard of effing Burning Bangers, I know what the hell it is now. \

Draw from all that mario have inadvertently created and make it good.

xandaca

- Greater sense of speed. I've played Sonic Racing, Nintendo. Toddling along at a snail's pace just won't cut it anymore.
- Fewer characters. It's clear Nintendo struggle to fill an expanded roster, going to the bottom of the barrel for the likes of Funky Kong, Queen Bee, etc. Stick to the core characters and don't require any of them to be unlocked. I like playing as Wario, so let me be Wario from the start.
- Individual character items. Double Dash!! was almost entirely terrible, but this was a great idea. Want more.
- Speaking of, no more unlocks for multiplayer. Having to play through all the single player tracks just to unlock every cup so my friends and I can have a multiplayer session with more than a handful of tracks is an almighty pain. There's no need for it.
- Lose the multiple karts, bikes etc. MK, in my opinion, should be about simplicity. Let the individual characters have the distinguishing attributes, there's no need to sub-divide.
- Reduce the number of in-track gimmicks. Along the same lines as above, the constant boost pads, cannons and jumps get a bit tedious. I like MK64 because its tracks are mostly standard racing tracks set in extraordinary locations. Having a few boosts or crazy jumps here and there is great, but putting loads of them in every race just diminishes their impact, especially since they (cannons especially) reduce the player's control. Obstacles are all good, though.
- Keep the water / air sections. I know this contradicts what I said above to a certain extent, but these MK7 introductions actually changed the way the game played for once, introducing a greater number of alternate pathways and a degree of non-linearity. If jumps are going to be so numerous, the glider at least makes them interesting.
- Keep the classic Blue Shell style. MK7 reverted to a MK64-style Blue Shell. Please don't return to the flying version, EVER.
-Reduce single player rubber-banding and number of hits taken. MK single player is more frustrating than fun for the most part because its way of compensating for hopeless AI is so unfair. A degree of rubber-banding is accepting, but not much - just make the computer players better at the game.
- Track Editor. Never going to happen, but a man can dream. Not to mention it's ideally suited to the Wii U touchscreen.
- 'Transforming' tracks. Sonic did this brilliantly, making each lap distinct through alterations in terrain and obstacles. I like the 'single track' races from MK7 and more variety would be very welcome.
- Single Player Challenges. Another Sonic thing, but rather than just having to play through the standard eight cups in single player, why not include some different types of challenge, as per the recent Sonic Racing game? It mixes things up and makes the single player mode feel like less of a chore to unlock tracks for multiplayer (which, again, shouldn't be necessary).
- Item toggle for multiplayer. There are certain items, aka the Blooper and Thundercloud, which just annoy my friends and I when we play MK Wii. The option to deactivate them would be appreciated.
- Block Fort. It's a perfect Battle track. Needs to be in every version of the game.
- Old-school Battle mode. The new version is... excusable for online, but the old school version is much more fun when playing with three (or four, thanks to the Gamepad?) friends. Allow the option of switching.
- Fifth friend on Gamepad. See above.

KirbyKid

I'll be the odd man out here.

Bring back something neat (at least a mode/option) like Double Dash 2 players per Kart. If one player has the "wheel" and the other player spins around using the gamepad as the view to throw items, that would be crazy. Something that makes sitting in front of the TV like sitting together in a vehicle and being locked in to the same fate.

Online community options that include the smash bros style item tweaking.

Communities that can limit the number of players so all types of competition would be available.

Oh, and some really good team modes. Team battle/racing is a great idea, but I've been less than thrilled about battle since Double Dash.

Linkhero1

- Lock FPS in splitscreen. It kiled MK Wii
- Include the original battle mode from MK64. I hate the new one.
- Get rid of that shine or plastic look on their 3D Models. I hate it.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Sonic&ASRT) has raised the bar in this genre. I thoroughly recommend it to everybody who owns a Wii U, and was delighted to learn that it was the first 'third party' game to top its charts. Truthfully, a Sumo Digital-Nintendo collaboration would be a mouth-watering prospect for the Mario Kart Series; that said, I don't think that this would happen, and Mario Kart 7 was perhaps the best one to date. It would most probably remain Mario-themed, and not introduce characters from other Nintendo IPs, but that isn't to say that there isn't much room for it to advance and/or be inventive - I feel that there is. Below are some features that I thought would be pretty cool; Also, some borrow influence from Sonic&ASRT, while I feel that others would be more natural advancements for the series.

The World Tour feature - For Stars, Read Star Coins. I feel that this could breathe some much needed life into the single player mode. It could help the player to improve his skills, and encourage people to play through it, unlocking characters as they progress.

New characters: Koopalings (not necessarily controllable, perhaps being able to race against them in a VS mode, or as bosses), Kamek, Captain Syrup, Tatanga, Mouser, Chargin' Chuck and the Hammer/Boomerang Brothers.

Leaderboards - Personal Bests and Online.

Co-Operative Options and Team Battles.

Airship or SS TeaCup track inspired by the After Burner stage.

Underwater/Submarine/Soda Lake track.

Stove Canyon track (perhaps Bowser Castle meets Golden Axe stage for inspiration).

Subcon/Starry-Night/Star Road/Special Zone tracks.

Community/Miiverse Integration, Off-TV and Asymmetric Gameplay features on the GamePad.

Multiple control options (GamePad, Wiimote & Nunchuk, Pro Controllers, Classic Controllers).

Miroku129

images

All I need <3

Davey Cakes

More once-through courses like the Wuhu Island ones in Mario Kart 7! I really love those.

Just don't make them actually Wuhu Island this time. Give me something like a "Mushroom Kingdom Tour" course.

Also, I would appreciate a really well-done Battle Mode. Maybe one that allows for "simple" rules (to make it more like MK64's battle mode) and one where you can expand the options.

As other people have probably already said, item customization would be nice for everyone who hates blue shells.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY, Multiplayer Grand Prix mode that allows you to unlock cups, characters, and karts. No more of this "needing to play in Single Player" BS to obtain all content.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
More N64 tracks. I was sad to see only three in Mario Kart 7. But I feel like the more Mario Kart games come out, the less retro tracks from our favorite Mario Kart(whichever it is depending on players) will show up in a new game. It's almost to the point where they need to add a 5th retro cup.

Robin64

More once-through courses like the Wuhu Island ones in Mario Kart 7! I really love those.

Just don't make them actually Wuhu Island this time. Give me something like a "Mushroom Kingdom Tour" course.

I have been imagining a course called Mario All-Stars or something, where it starts off looking like the original Mario Bros. Kind of in a void, blue square floor, green pipes.. and as you progress, it steps into each key game of the Mario series, finishing in whatever the new U one is. It would be perfect as a point-to-point track.

Roto13

The one thing I always want and the one thing that has kept me from buying most of the Mario Kart games. De-fuck the item balancing. The game is like 60% luck and that's not fun.

18-Volt

Brand new characters exclusive to the series. I don't want stupid ideas like bone koopa or Bone Bowser. Something original, just like guys from Diddy Kong Racing.

Er... they weren't just there for unlocks. The more coins you got, the faster you went with 10 coins being your maximum speed. Time Trials were all about finding the optimum route that allows you to collect 10 coins quickly while not going out of your way to get them.

I don't really care that the coins give a speed boost, I'm actually fine with this. I just don't like getting random kart parts whenever I use my coins. Why couldn't they just let me use my coins to get the parts I wanted.

Shabutaro

Can you add people to your friendslist that you play online with on mariokart 7? Id like that actually. To easily add folks.

More tracks, weapons etc is always nice.

xandaca

You need a fucking mushroom to do it? That is bullshit, you should be able to do it with a drift-boost, too.

No, as long as it's able to hit players behind you, it should be very difficult to dodge (you could also avoid it with perfect timing on a boost pad in Wii). If you don't like items which level the playing field a bit, there's really no reason to play MK, which has been a mix of skill and luck since the N64 and all the better for it, IMO. The better games allow skill to have a more noticeable impact, but if that was it, it'd be far less interesting as a multiplayer game as it would be far too easy for an experienced player to dominate. It's almost as much a party game as a racer.

-Eddman-

I would love to have 2 separate modes: old school Kart racing with small, simple tracks with difficult design to challenge the player's skills. Think of the hard courses in Super Mario Kart. Then the regular, family-friendly MK with crazy (but easy) tracks, car customization and everything else to appeal to their main market.

-NO FUCKING BLUE SHELL, or at least disable that shit in the last lap.

-Some kind of single player campaign like Diddy Kong Racing

That's all I can think for now. MK7 was really good, but the ultra cheap AI (even by MK standards) was so frustrating that I never bothered to achieve 3 stars on any cup.

Village

- Greater sense of speed. I've played Sonic Racing, Nintendo. Toddling along at a snail's pace just won't cut it anymore.

This is the only valid point you have made and i agree with it so hard that I wont bother you about the stuff I disagree about.

Robin64

As for the coin system in 7 giving a random kart part, well, the notion is that everyone will get different parts. Then, when you StreetPass with someone and beat their GP, you can claim one of the parts from them that you don't have. Or, you can just keep collecting coins, which happens pretty quick if you play a lot of online anyway.

Further, there are alternate methods to getting the top rewards.

Gold Glider - Collect 10,000 coins or connect with 100 people via StreetPass.
Gold Standard - Collect 20,000 coins or obtain a VR higher than 10,000 points
Golden Wheels - Collect 15,000 coins or receive a minimum of 1 star ranking for each cup/class to unlock.

Milpool

16 player online battle mode set in a HD re-creation of Bob-omb Battlefield.

Hopefully a new engine but I have a feeling it's gonna look like an uprezzed Double Dash/MK:Wii

corn_fest

I'm just really hoping for DLC. Usually, that would be the last thing I want, but there's so much potential to add new courses and characters and keep the community active.
I think they'll have it, it seems like they've started to get into offering DLC with Fire Emblem and the NSMB series.

Richie

GAF, I'm disappointed on you.
Based on my extensive two-seconds-long search, no one has mentioned Mario Kart DS' Mission Mode so far?
Glorious stuff, I tell ya, and certainly gave the game much more replayability than Mario Kart 7 by itself.

xandaca

16 player online battle mode set in a HD re-creation of Bob-omb Battlefield.

A lot of the Mario 64 courses would make amazing race tracks. Races on Whomp's Fortress, Cool Cool Mountain, Shifting Sand Land, Snowman's Land and Tall Tall Mountain would be fantastic.

Mit-

31440.gif

Snaking + rankings/matchmaking + item switch

People who complain about snaking are complaining that someone else was better than them at the game, which is absurd. Mario Kart DS is the most competitive and skill-based Mario Kart ever made. Highlight of the series for me and my friends. It went beyond being a time-wasting party game and was actually a competitive thing for us for a while.

Item switch would be great. Turning off blue shells would help balance the gameplay, and even just limiting it to green shells and bananas would be fun.

And to keep everyone from bitching about losing, it should have tiers/ranks like any other competitive multiplayer game. Snakers will get grouped with snakers. Non-snakers will remain low and can race with each other.

Or they could split it up into competitive and casual sections.

None of this is going to happen. I still can't believe they got rid of moving the joystick left/right to gain sparks in Mario Kart Wii. It was a series staple until people bitched about Mario Kart DS. Did it return in Mario Kart 7? I'm assuming it didn't.

Also, +1 track editor, tons of tracks, classic battle mode, and omg Bob-omb Battlefield idea is the greatest thing I've ever heard.

Top Bottom