• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you want from Mario Kart 8?

NeonZ

Character line up - use more actual characters from spin offs rather than generic enemies.

Vehicles - I hope the selection is more like Mario Kart Wii, with the very different handling of different vehicles, and custom colors for each character. Of course, they should take a look at Wii to fix its balance problems and make the variation actually worth it gameplay-wise, rather than a handicap for 3/4s of the vehicles.

I didn't care much for 7's underwater and gliding sections, but didn't hate them either. I just didn't think they added much. Either way, considering how the next title will be a Wii U game, maybe they could add some sections of races where people race "on" water to showcase a new water engine or something. Although I guess Mario Kart has never been a graphical showcase...

Reverse cups - This is something that should be easy to implement, but the series has never done it. Not all tracks would be compatible, unless they reworked them, but, still, there are always quite a few tracks that could work like this without any changes at all.

A campaign/story mode could be nice, but with the way this game is coming so soon there's no way it's happening. Really, even if it weren't coming so soon it likely wouldn't happen...

When they base levels on shopping malls and timber yards that haven't even been a staple of the Mario series you know something is up. There is still plenty to take from the Mario universe but they just for some reason do not wish to use alot of it. Hell, make a track based on the graphical style of Yoshi's Island, both new and old, just something original.

Although tracks directly based on game locations are always nice, some of my favorite Mario Kart tracks, design-wise, haven't been based on anything, like Wario Colosseum and Neo Bowser City...

Salsa

more Mario Kart

sorry guys its kinda all it takes :(

im not proud of it but fuck if I wont buy it and probably love it

its the nintendo series that needs the least changes, by far

Revven

More options for Online Multiplayer and offline multiplayer. I'd love it if Battle mode returned to free for all, but I have really low expectations for that to happen. =\

Sadist

The option to dodge Blue Shells. They won't remove those horrid things, but give me the option to make 'em miss me.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I would love some sort of ranked and mmr based online ladder play in leagues and division, in addition to just playing casually with friends local and online. Sort of like SC2. (I know, it will never happen)

Turn that shit into esports! :)

Majine

Banned
No retro tracks. Because there are only so many times I can play that flat SNES one again.

I blame the retro tracks for the lack of evolution in the series.

ChaosXVI

I want them to find a way to top Sonic Racing Transformed...Or at least do everything they can to try. Sort of like a reverse Mario Kart 64/Diddy Kong Racing. Rare likely pushed the shit out of DKR as a means of besting Mario Kart in every way, which came out roughly a year before it, which for me it did. Playing and beating every aspect of DKR a full year before owning Mario Kart 64...it was a complete regression.

Yonafunu

- More content. Make the game as big as possible.
- Go batshit insane with track design. INSANE.
- Good online.
- Item balance. Fuck the blue shells.

That's really all I can come up with right now. To be fair, the track design would be my most important wish. The tracks are getting boring and too safe.
Go crazy Nintendo!

Kouriozan

32 new tracks + 32 retro tracks would be AWESOME. Maybe too much for a release in several months.
So 16 tracks for both at the release then a DLC one year after for 32 tracks (New + Retro) would be fine.

Jawmuncher

Mario Kart Double Dash 2.0

If not that more characters and if they could finally, through some other Nintendo characters into the mix.

Lastly make sure item randomness isn't frustrating like MK Wii

Bumhead

Banned
- Toggleable power ups and weapons
- Traditional single player Grand Prix structure for retro tracks
- Story mode campaign with entirely original tracks
- Retro and original tracks for multiplayer
- Expand on the community options from MK7
- 64 tracks in total, expanded character roster and Kart customisation options

FloatOn

It needs Sonic Racing Transformed levels of fan service. In fact, that game really set the bar for mascot racers.

The game needs dynamic tracks that change as you make laps.

Most importantly, more defensive power-ups.

This thread does seem to indicate to me that sort of like Zelda, everybody has their own idea for what was the best Mario Kart.

For instance, I absolutely loathe Double Dash!! and feel it instantly dragged down what was intially a spotless series. The fact people want a return to DD!! in anything other than the two-per-one mechanic (the only thing I like from the game) boggles my mind. Similarly MKDS was only a marginal improvement to me and still carried over many of the terrible item balance issues DD!! introduced, as well as lacking the funky jazz music the first few games had. While I don't think it's good persay, I don't see how MKWii was significantly worse than MKDS, or nearly as bad as DD!!

MK7 was a genuine improvement on almost all fronts for me and seems to be the most liked overall, so I guess there's some overlap when it comes to pinions.

NeonZ

No retro tracks. Because there are only so many times I can play that flat SNES one again.

I blame the retro tracks for the lack of evolution in the series.

Why would retro tracks limit evolution? Well, I guess it stops them from going all open world, but they'd never do that anyway. If they dumped the retro courses and we were stuck with only 16 courses like in Double Dash and 64, it'd be just a regression.

Ein Bear

WALUIGI TIME.

And nthing the desire to see the series expand to a more general 'Nintendo Kart'. I want Hyrule Field as a track.

Keep the verticality of MK7.
Game master mode where the person on the gamepad dynamically alters the game track.
A roster worthy of SSMB.

Wiz

32 new tracks + 32 retro tracks would be AWESOME. Maybe too much for a release in several months.
So 16 tracks for both at the release then a DLC one year after for 32 tracks (New + Retro) would be fine.

Yes. This gamed NEEDS DLC tracks. Would be perfect.

P44

You can, there's even a slight pause just before it slams down so you know when to do it (still hard mind)

The big problem is the lightning bolt. That makes you drop any item you have in reserve so there's a good chance you'll drop your mushroom before being hit by a blue shell.

For the blue shell dodge, pretty much just make that doable with a powerslide boost, and there's my major gripe with the blue shell over.

Djamb3

Nothing like the wii one. Awful maps, bloom everywhere, incredibly soulless... double dash was so much better it hurts

Randdalf

- Snaking, only available in 150cc races, can be disabled.
- More than 32 tracks, including Waluigi Pinball.
- No underwater sections.
- Don't get rid of gliding.
- Improved kart customisation.
- Ability to customise item selection for races online and off.
- An even faster 200cc mode.
- A new item system? Borrow some ideas from Lego Racers - add a special pickup that can "upgrade" your current item. For instance, green shell -> red shell -> triple red shell -> blue shell. Makes item use more strategic and less random.
- Off-TV play.

None of the stupid coins systems of the lask MK. I hated that I just got random kart parts that I would never use.
Snaking should be in the game but, tone it down a little. Powerful but, not as powerful as MKDS. Maybe have diminishing returns on the boost gained from snaking.
Also Waluigi Pinball!

Top Bottom