• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you want from Mario Kart 8?

Robin64

Time Trial mode basically needs to come back in a big way. It was a huge part of SNES Mario Kart for my family and friends, all crowded round the single console, watching everyone take their turns, etc. It was an amazing time and we preferred it to even VS mode.

With each passing Mario Kart, it's felt less important as gaming goes online. I was disappointed that 7 did not have friend leaderboards.

But 8 needs to ramp it up and have Community leaderboards and Friend leaderboards, with the ability to race every single ghost or just watch it. If you're the top of a leaderboard and someone beats you, you should get a notification. Within a Community, players should get a star or something next to their profile pic when racing within that Community. Just make it "a big deal" again.

Koodo

Banned
Single player needs a complete overhaul, but I suppose no one really gives a shit about single player. A story mode would be cute, and the mission mode from the DS was addictive and should be brought back.

The racing remains golden, and the battle mode just needs to be brought back to basics. The critical thing going into the future is having a robust online mode, and DLC to extend the longevity of the game.

The friend matches ESPECIALLY need work, because that's where all the games thus far have utterly failed. There's no excuse for not giving players a plethora of customization options with friends. Community needs to be brought back and overhauled; it's a great feature on paper, but the execution in MK7 was terrible.

I don't care whether they keep giving a mix of new and retro courses, so long as there's a DLC plan in place to provide more of both in the future. I would SO PAY for more cups.
and characters, and maybe hats.

Edit: oh, and yeah, time trial needs to not be paid dust again. That was a great feature in the Wii version, especially how you could download the top times of the world and share time trials with friends. It's bizarre how that was botched in MK7.

elektrixx

Banned
Mario Kart 7 was pretty good. More of that with great graphics, but the most important thing would be for the online play to not be plagued with hackers.

No DLC please.

A nessecary evil? I was playing MK7 last night. Got into first again after a blue shell attack on lap 3. Got back to first place. Literally JUST BEFORE the finish line I was hit by one blue shell then immediately afterwards, two red shells. Ended up in 7th place.

Because I was aiming for 1st on all races, I had to do the entire cup again.

Fuck that shit. Utterly unfair game design.

The problem now is that without the blue shell, third place will hit second place with a red shell. First place will take off. Then everyone from 6-2 just battles it out, and first place is far enough ahead to just hold banana peels and never get hit by anything. Then the weapons only affect "the pack" but not first place. That's not fair either.

I think there's a way to balance it and still address your complaints. What about a flat "no blue shells on the third lap" rule? Or how about an intelligent system that only gives you a chance of a blue shell if the first place person is X seconds ahead of second place?

I want to be able to turn down the volume of the music independently of the SFX. Seriously, how hard is that to do? Been wanting that since MK64.

Like in MKWii? Forgot bikes?
No I want airplanes and something for water traversal. Bike should be a character specific vehicle.

flattie

1. Solid 60fps.
2. Expanded use of IP for tracks and characters.
3. Pretty HD graphic design in the same mould as NLand hub.
4. Off-screen local multiplayer.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Where's the Mario 2 (USA) course?
Shyguy's Bizarre in MK7. Look at the details.

HD Waluigi's Pinball.
As much as I love this track, they did already bring it back for 7. Then again last time I made a list of courses now brought back it was heavily skewed towards the SNES and GBA tracks they may have to consider brining back tracks that have already been retro tracks.

Talking of SNES and GBA tracks, would be cool is they made the stage decorations more interesting. Keep the tracks flat as that adds variety, but mimicking mode7 looks a bit drab in comparison to the new tracks.

Also:
  • Keep it to eight players
  • Make lightning not remove your reserve item. That would at least make blue shells a bit more bearable as you could save a mushroom for one more easily.
  • Don't have a ridiculous unlock criteria for the final item. 20,000 coins for the final part is RIDICULOUS.
  • Bring back the emblem editor!
  • Quick race custom GP mode.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't care about the blue shell in multiplayer, but in single player GPs it's fucking annoying when you are trying to get a star rating to unlock stuff. If they brought back the '3 retries' per GP that was in Super Circuit on the GBA that would be enough for me.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Time Trial mode basically needs to come back in a big way. It was a huge part of SNES Mario Kart for my family and friends, all crowded round the single console, watching everyone take their turns, etc. It was an amazing time and we preferred it to even VS mode.

With each passing Mario Kart, it's felt less important as gaming goes online. I was disappointed that 7 did not have friend leaderboards.

Actually, the Time Trial mode in MK Wii was pretty good which makes me optimistic that they will improve on this in MK8.
Also, I want SMK on VC! Would revitalize your thread, too.

I don't care about the blue shell in multiplayer, but in single player GPs it's fucking annoying when you are trying to get a star rating to unlock stuff. If they brought back the '3 retries' per GP that was in Super Circuit on the GBA that would be enough for me.

When I talk about the blue shell, I'm mostly referring to its effectiveness in multiplayer. For singleplayer, I don't really care if they get rid of it because they can theoretically control the weapon dispensation better. Maybe singleplayer could go back to the original SNES version where every opponent racer has a unique weapon.

Septimius

I was near top score in multiplayer. Blue shells are anathema to me. Fuck them.

When I talk about the blue shell, I'm mostly referring to its effectiveness in multiplayer. For singleplayer, I don't really care if they get rid of it because they can theoretically control the weapon dispensation better. Maybe singleplayer could go back to the original SNES version where every opponent racer has a unique weapon.

Oh god, noooooo. I love the SNES version, but I also love Koopa Troopa, which means that Luigi is ALWAYS number 2, right behind me, because catch-up logic, unless you can hit him with something right before the finish line and have him lose out to points, because it's the point standings in the cup that determines who should be in what position.. I digress. Yes, so Luigi ALWAYS being number 2, and he can fire off a star whenever he damn well pleases? That was kind of stupid. Oh, and that they all could just do this insane high jump whenever you threw a red shell at them.

D-e-f-

Banned
Track editor..strong DLC content (a whole new cup released every few months would sell like gangbusters).

I'd quite like the ability to add non Mario/3rd party characters over time....either via the eshop or NFC figurines.

A few new weapons (Maybe something like F.L.U.D.D. to blast people off the road, a bunjee grappling hook).

Oh my god, can you imagine the madness? Hot-swapping co-drivers like in Double-Dash!! with NFC figurines during races!

Also, I feel they could find a nice sweet spot between track editor and DLC for MK. Have a track editor fixed to a certain background location, like a warehouse or test-track facility where you can build what you want but are confined to a simplified visual style. Then have DLC with in-house courses with proper backgrounds and settings in the Nintendo world.

sugarless

I'd like to see a return to shorter courses raced over five laps rather than longer ones over three, which is more like an actual go-kart race, but it's not likely. Then again, coins were brought back in MK7 after being AWOL for a decade, so you never know.

There really, really needs to be a reverse course on the blue shell, bane of non-casual Mario Kart players' lives since the second game. That Mario Party bullshit of penalising skilled players was never fun and is no longer novel. Items were always something that helped you get closer to the front of the pack, but it should be possible for a skilled player to get to the front and stay to the front without getting fucked over on a lap by lap basis. Actually, I can almost live with the N64 version which ran along the ground, because at least it was relatively rare and took out anyone in its path. These ones that fly straight to the leader should die soon.

Also too many attack items make the victim drop their reserve item. You just start to use items instantly rather than tactically hold them for later because you know you'll probably get fucked over sooner rather than later.

Edit:

The problem now is that without the blue shell, third place will hit second place with a red shell. First place will take off. Then everyone from 6-2 just battles it out, and first place is far enough ahead to just hold banana peels and never get hit by anything. Then the weapons only affect "the pack" but not first place. That's not fair either.

Fair point. Hopefully some much-needed balance is on the way

Foetoid

Neo Member
I would love to see just 1 feature that i've always thought for some reason would work for Mario Kart, but the processing power required is likely lacking even in the Wii U. I would like to be able to press a button on the gamepad to change the graphics on the fly. 4 modes, "Usual Mario Kart Style", "Super Realistic", "Cel-Shaded", and then something else, maybe gritty grindhouse, psycadelic colours, or something black and white like MadWorld. Just bam, button press and when you press it, a circle appears in the distance on the track which gets closer and closer and you can see the differently rendered graphics beyond the portal till it passes the screen and the entire game looks completely different but plays exactly the same.

Or i have an overactive imagination...

MrT-Tar

I miss 12 player races from MKWii, I want those back.

And Kamek, I'm still surprised he hasn't appeared in any Mario Kart game since the early stages of MK64

Vagabundo

- Coins help you corner again. Make you faster.
- Very flexible battle mode with user gened maps.
- track editor.
- Die rubber banding die.
- 5 player local.
- hidden Easter eggs, tracks, unlockables, reverse world, weird cups, big head mode.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh yeah, I'd also like to see them bring back the long segmented courses that we saw introduced in MK7.

Would be interesting if there was a non GP mode to play them as lap based races as well.

So they imported Wuhu island for MK7. Will we see another import for MK8?

eXistor

It needs a shot in the arm, it's one of Nintendo's most stagnant series imo. Personally, I'd just make it into Nintendo All Stars Kart, that opens up a vast array of possibilities right there. Thing is, you're kind of throwing all your eggs in one basket of you do that.

Also, give players more options; no items, or being able to select items, that kind of thing. It severely needs better balance, it's the thing that always kills any fun for me, the games are just so goddamn unfair.

Realistically speaking: DLC characters and tracks. Maybe even a track editor. I doubt it'll go much further than that.

Copy what sonic all stars racing transformed did in terms of content, seriously that game gives you tons of content that can be played 1-5 characters

MrChom

not this

BIjue5PCAAAojuy.jpg

just this..

logoimage_SOMENIGHTS_bigger.png

like all other Kart games..

Much as I enjoyed Fahrenheit your post should be printed out and framed then NAILED TO THE DOOR of most developers like some sort of Lutheran protest.

Anyway, what do I want in MK8?

-Bikes....but BALANCED bikes.
-No Snaking
-An option to play with "super" items like the blue shell and lightning minimised or off (Think Smash Bros level options....if you want them)
-Online communities with community leaderboards, friend leaderboards etc.
-More Retro Tracks from the SNES one with a modern look (Think how F-Zero did Snake Road)
-Make more kart bodies that benefit when flying or underwater. Think subs with wheels or a Gyrocopter with monster truck tyres...
-Mostly like Mario Kart 7
-Indescribable levels of fun.

Soul_Pie

Battle mode needs a heap of work, use Double Dash as a reference point, (best battle mode in the series) bring back bob-omb battle, just generally bring a layer of customization that something like Smash Bros brings. User generated tracks would be awesome.

I like the single player idea from Mario Kart DS, that could be expanded on further, games like Diddy Kong Racing and Crash Team Racing completely outdid the mario kart games with their single player modes.

Neifirst

Already mentioned a couple of times, but it is time to expand it to Nintendo Kart and get the other franchises in there to help with track variety.

If it stays Mario-only, I'd love to see the Starry Night level rendered in 3D.

Tnetennba

Refine the communities to make it easier to dip in and out of games and maybe add a smoother matchmaking system (which shouldn't be hard given that it'll be on a home console). Either of those would feel like a big step forward.

A quick race mode would be great as well for offline play. That was my biggest gripe with 7, since the only way to quickly dive in and play on a specific track was time trials.

This is the most important addition of all. His exclusion from 7 felt like a personal insult.

Floex

Mario Kart 7 was so dull and predictable I have no idea how it scored so highly. I thought the tracks selection at best was mediocre. They need to add a substantial single player mode, think Diddy Kong Racing. I'm sure I'm in the minority but would love the series to become Nintendo Kart. Pikmin levels, Kirby levels, Eartbound levels, just open the world up. For the most part the characters are rubbish in the Mario Kart series, no one rides as the bumblebee, no one.

The Mario Kart team is fraught of ideas at this point it needs a shakeup. Adding hang-gliders adds nothing to the game, nothing. When they base levels on shopping malls and timber yards that haven't even been a staple of the Mario series you know something is up. There is still plenty to take from the Mario universe but they just for some reason do not wish to use alot of it. Hell, make a track based on the graphical style of Yoshi's Island, both new and old, just something original.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm not placing money on that.
I wonder what will be the WiiU's holiday title if it isnt Mario Kart. If they have one specific game for the holiday that is, but i think they do.

Much as I enjoyed Fahrenheit your post should be printed out and framed then NAILED TO THE DOOR of most developers like some sort of Lutheran protest.
But people have fun (if not directly having fun, at least enjoying the game) with games like Beyond too :)

deleted

Getting back to Karts only and at least one classic option with only N64 items active and standard Karts.

All kinds of options for online,local and most important of all Battle-Mode. Not only a team-only all items option.

Return of the local-coop Grand-Prix.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When they base levels on shopping malls and timber yards that haven't even been a staple of the Mario series you know something is up. There is still plenty to take from the Mario universe but they just for some reason do not wish to use alot of it. Hell, make a track based on the graphical style of Yoshi's Island, both new and old, just something original.
Isn't that the advantage of MarioKart, the Mario universe basically isn't restricted in was people expect so they can make courses based on anything, which fulfils your final statement perfectly.

I want full customization of online championships as in MKWii challenge races (most of all items tone down option that magically made MKWii enjoyable)

But 8 needs to ramp it up and have Community leaderboards and Friend leaderboards, with the ability to race every single ghost or just watch it. If you're the top of a leaderboard and someone beats you, you should get a notification. Within a Community, players should get a star or something next to their profile pic when racing within that Community. Just make it "a big deal" again.

Mostly just this. Mario Kart 7 was absolutely brilliant but without leaderboards I stopped playing it after a few months. I'd still be playing it today if I had friends' times to beat.

Top Bottom