• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you want from Mario Kart 8?

Linkhero1

31440.gif

Snaking + rankings/matchmaking + item switch

People who complain about snaking are complaining that someone else was better than them at the game, which is absurd. Mario Kart DS is the most competitive and skill-based Mario Kart ever made. Highlight of the series for me and my friends. It went beyond being a time-wasting party game and was actually a competitive thing for us for a while.

Item switch would be great. Turning off blue shells would help balance the gameplay, and even just limiting it to green shells and bananas would be fun.

And to keep everyone from bitching about losing, it should have tiers/ranks like any other competitive multiplayer game. Snakers will get grouped with snakers. Non-snakers will remain low and can race with each other.

Or they could split it up into competitive and casual sections.

None of this is going to happen. I still can't believe they got rid of moving the joystick left/right to gain sparks in Mario Kart Wii. It was a series staple until people bitched about Mario Kart DS. Did it return in Mario Kart 7? I'm assuming it didn't.

Also, +1 track editor, tons of tracks, classic battle mode, and omg Bob-omb Battlefield idea is the greatest thing I've ever heard.

I missing snaking solely because it was the best method to dodge a blue shell in MKDS. I hate having to rely on getting a mushroom in the new games and the timing is pretty bad.

Davey Cakes

Snaking isn't fun. Mario Kart is already balanced for skill (the best players win races most of the time); it doesn't need that extra edge for players who are willing to do repetitive motions to win.

Bringing it back would only make online play frustrating, like it was with MKDS. No thanks.

One of the absolute BEST things about MK Wii is that they changed how drifting works.

People need to stop wanting casual party games to NOT be casual party games.

xandaca

Snaking isn't fun. Mario Kart is already balanced for skill (the best players win races most of the time); it doesn't need that extra edge for players who are willing to do repetitive motions to win.

Bringing it back would only make online play frustrating, like it was with MKDS. No thanks.

One of the absolute BEST things about MK Wii is that they changed how drifting works.

If they can find a way of filtering people who like to snake from people who don't, it should be in there since so many people seem to like it. As someone who could snake but never enjoyed it or liked playing against people who did, if there's any chance of encountering such a player in a random match, Nintendo were wise to omit it.

Mit-

I thought snaking was fun *shrug* It was dynamic. It wasn't repetitive due to how you always had to determine the best way to snake tracks in your current position. Sometimes you could get crazy with it and work in an extra boost to gain on your opponents, if you get hit with an item it can change your snaking route, etc etc.

I'm not even against nerfing it a little bit, but getting rid of the joystick wiggling mechanic entirely? That was too much imo. They could've just toned it down to how it was in Double Dash, which no one seemed to complain about.

And how would it make online play more frustrating compared to any competitive online multiplayer game? Call of Duty is frustrating because I suck and I jump in and run around and get killed immediately without even seeing who killed me constantly. Unless I get matched with other noobs and then I have a good time. All it needs is ranks/matchmaking, or casual/competitive playlists.

However Nintendo has something against splitting player bases and allowing people to play the games they make competitively.

Robin64

I'm loathe to turn this into a snaking vs non-snaking thread, but suffice to say, I would not like to see it return.

Linkhero1

I'm indifferent about snaking. I used it when I had to and didn't care for it's disappearance in the later games. The only thing I truly want them to do is bring back the battles from MK64. I prefer stock balloon with suicidal bomb rather than balloon regeneration. It was more fun.

I definitely don't want bikes. I haven't had a chance to play Mario Kart 7 yet since I haven't gotten a 3DS yet, but it seems like that was the best one so far. So keep the stuff they added in that, add some cool new tracks, bring back as many old ones as possible, and I'll be happy.

Also, I would LOVE for the blue shell to go back to the way it was in N64, where it hits everyone in front of you. In the Wii version (and I think gamecube / DS version?) its completely useless to the person who gets it, all it does is troll the person in first place.

I'd also love for special items like the ones in Double Dash to return.

Robin64

Also, I would LOVE for the blue shell to go back to the way it was in N64, where it hits everyone in front of you. In the Wii version (and I think gamecube / DS version?) its completely useless to the person who gets it, all it does is troll the person in first place.

7's runs along the ground, too.

Fey

Banned
I don't mind if blue shells stay, but just make them much more rare. I got them 4 times just now in a single race in MK7.

One thing I liked about MK7 is that you could unlock some stuff by playing online. I want to see more of this, where everything can be unlocked through multiplayer. And then turn single player into something like the VS Mode in MKDS, except add more customizable options (like Blue Shells off, green shells only, etc ... something like SSB's item on/off switch). If I ever played MKDS by myself after I unlocked everything, it was always VS Mode.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Silent characters. Please. PLEASE.
I want more soundbites. MK64 is still king of quotes.

That's all I can think for now. MK7 was really good, but the ultra cheap AI (even by MK standards) was so frustrating that I never bothered to achieve 3 stars on any cup.
Really? It is the only one I've ever three starred. I'm pretty sure they made it easier.

http://mmii.info/_ign/31440.gifPeople who complain about snaking are complaining that someone else was better than them at the game, which is absurd.
HA HA no. It's not fun and the new drift mechanic is 10000000x better. It's not about skill, I could do it, but I hated having to do it. Anyone can spasm their fingers on the D-Pad, the new mechanic rewards risk.

Davey Cakes

I just want Mario Kart 64 HD. Super simple, super fun.
I recently got around to playing my VC version of MK64. Do we even need an HD version? I think the VC emulation already makes the game look clean.

Its simplicity at this point is both a blessing and a curse. I guess it depends on how much you appreciate that sort of experience. In my opinion, after playing the likes of MK Wii and MK7, the 64 game is a bit too basic for its own good.

In MK8, I wouldn't mind for "simple mode" options, though, especially for battle mode. Letting players pare down the experience to its bare essentials would be a plus. Customization is worthwhile.

All it needs is a little tweaks to balance here and there and keep the same online features it had on wii.
Same online features, but even better matchmaking through "communities" and also far better actual communication options (voice chat, keyboard chat, etc.).

MK Wii's online was surprisingly competent, but as MK7 showed Nintendo can do better.

MGrant

Make it more like Double Dash, which is the secret best MK. 60 fps split screen, for god's sake. No separate motorcycle class. Bring back All-Cup Tour. Fix the drifting so it feels as precise and satisfying as DD. Maybe even consider the two characters per kart idea.

I really want new tracks and characters to be released after a couple months. That is the one thing I think would have really helped Mario kart 7 go to the stratosphere.

Also let us pick our own racetrack order for multiplayer again or single race

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All it needs is ranks/matchmaking, or casual/competitive playlists.

However Nintendo has something against splitting player bases and allowing people to play the games they make competitively.
That's what VR points are for. The better you do the higher your score so you'll be matched along side other high scoring players.

I just want Mario Kart 64 HD. Super simple, super fun.
As long as it doesn't follow the same course philosophy. MK64 suffers quite a bit from being an early 3D game for Nintendo. Of course in PALland it is also slow so I find it not as fun compared to the others.

gundalf

I recently got around to playing my VC version of MK64. Do we even need an HD version? I think the VC emulation already makes the game look clean.

Its simplicity at this point is both a blessing and a curse. I guess it depends on how much you appreciate that sort of experience. In my opinion, after playing the likes of MK Wii and MK7, the 64 game is a bit too basic for its own good.

In MK8, I wouldn't mind for "simple mode" options, though, especially for battle mode. Letting players pare down the experience to its bare essentials would be a plus. Customization is worthwhile.

Same online features, but even better matchmaking through "communities" and also far better actual communication options (voice chat, keyboard chat, etc.).

I don't mind the newer MK entry's, but my offline friends don't really enjoy them and so we always end up playing MK64 on the Wii.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
31440.gif

People who complain about snaking are complaining that someone else was better than them at the game, which is absurd.
What a crock. Snaking is a shit mechanic that becomes physically painful to execute. Mario kart 7 addressed that nightmare perfectly. I was good at snaking, but I hated it. It broke the game, only the tank and one other car were any good. An exploit rightly corrected.

Davey Cakes

I really want new tracks and characters to be released after a couple months. That is the one thing I think would have really helped Mario kart 7 go to the stratosphere.

Also let us pick our own racetrack order for multiplayer again or single race
DLC for games like Mario Kart is basically my model for "DLC done right" so long as the original game is already content-filled.

Perhaps Nintendo doesn't want to do it for MK because that would undermine the model of releasing subsequent MK games. But, honestly, as long as they have a good foundation in MK8, DLC could make the game consistently lucrative throughout the entire console generation, until Nintendo is ready to make the next full leap.

I'm against abusive DLC practices, but in the case of Nintendo with games like NSMBU and then multiplayer experiences like the eventual Mario Kart and Smash Brothers, I'd gladly bend over and take it. Nintendo Land, too! I've been dying for more stages in Animal Crossing: Sweet Day and I'd be willing to pay a premium!

DLC for games like Mario Kart is basically my model for "DLC done right" so long as the original game is already content-filled.

Perhaps Nintendo doesn't want to do it for MK because that would undermine the model of releasing subsequent MK games. But, honestly, as long as they have a good foundation in MK8, DLC could make the game consistently lucrative throughout the entire console generation, until Nintendo is ready to make the next full leap.

I would buy courses and characters as long as they were releasing them.
Also, I should be able to dump items at a coin cost. I hate the raccoon tail because you can't store another item until it goes away.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Do like forge, ,ake a track editor roll best user levels into match making.

Mit-

Did people dislike snaking in Double Dash as well? And I was shit at the game, but wasn't it also technically present in MK64?

It seems like people only started hating it when it became as powerful of a technique as it was in MKDS, or they didn't realize they hated it until they started losing to it in first-ever online multiplayer.

If it was too strong in MKDS, why get rid of it? The same sparks mechanic was present in other Mario Kart games, all they needed to do was tweak it.

I just find regular drifting mechanics more boring and less interesting than the now-gone unique Mario Kart mechanics.

MGrant

I'd also like to see the return of character-specific items, provided they were better balanced than they were in DD. Which, don't get me wrong, DD was dominated by the Koopas/Toads/Piperiders because their specials were so much better than everyone else's, but I still think it can be done and add a cool team building mechanic back into the game.

Did people dislike snaking in Double Dash as well? And I was shit at the game, but wasn't it also technically present in MK64?

You could snake in DD, but it was much more dependent on your angle of travel, and thus, required a lot of planning out your route. In MKDS the jump allowed you to change your angle of travel pretty flexibly, and the tracks were much wider (this needs to change, by the way), so it wasn't as hard to snake straightaways.

30 racers, no items, futurist...oh who am I kidding?

This should have been the OP (I mean it was implied under secondary characters).

This brings me onto my point. Story mode in Waluigi perspective and a parody of F-Zero GX story mode. It could also serve as a perfect explaination of where we went for MK 7 (when they were like "hes too long" and then put wriggler in I knew they were trolling).

Maybe some different ways to make characters unique. Like say Koopa has slightly larger shells?

Mazzo

Even though I could perform snaking in Mario Kart DS, I hope it doesn't appear in future Nintendo racers, at least not in the form it was present on MKDS and F-Zero GX.

Snaking in those games was uncomfortable and ugly, gave an absurd advantage to the racer and I can see that it was too counter-intuitive for the average player to figure out without looking it up on the internet.

I'm all for advanced tricks and strategies, but I want them to be better integrated in the game, so that it doesn't seem like a glitch =(

31440.gif

People who complain about snaking are complaining that someone else was better than them at the game, which is absurd. Mario Kart DS is the most competitive and skill-based Mario Kart ever made. Highlight of the series for me and my friends. It went beyond being a time-wasting party game and was actually a competitive thing for us for a while.

Item switch would be great. Turning off blue shells would help balance the gameplay, and even just limiting it to green shells and bananas would be fun.

And to keep everyone from bitching about losing, it should have tiers/ranks like any other competitive multiplayer game. Snakers will get grouped with snakers. Non-snakers will remain low and can race with each other.

Or they could split it up into competitive and casual sections.

None of this is going to happen. I still can't believe they got rid of moving the joystick left/right to gain sparks in Mario Kart Wii. It was a series staple until people bitched about Mario Kart DS. Did it return in Mario Kart 7? I'm assuming it didn't.

Also, +1 track editor, tons of tracks, classic battle mode, and omg Bob-omb Battlefield idea is the greatest thing I've ever heard.
I agree with everything you said.

Jeels

Nintendo's online infrastructure to be brought into the modern (past?) era.

A full fledged online Mario Kart would be so worth it.

Also no snaking or any cheap shit like that.

Mitsurux

While there have been alot of good to great ideas already mentioned... here are a few that i would love to see:

Player Profiles (can be linked to Nintendo Id's, or Miis etc.) for the purpose of individual records (time trial times, wins losses in GP and battle modes, item usage, stats stats stats)

Track Editor - not from scratch, but ability to edit basic parts of exsisting tracks, item locations, ramps, etc. (think like how you can edit premade levesl in forge on Halo)

Items - perhaps lower the total amount of items, or make some items track specific, allow items to be toggled on or off.

I'd like to see levels outside of the strictly Mario universe. I'd also like to see them bring in just a few characers from the Nintendo world instead of just Mario only. Would like a Hyrule level w/ Link added to the racer list, Samus + metroid level, Pikmin + pikmin garden level.

• Handling of MK7 sounds fine... if you drift too much, make the player spin out so we don't go back to snaking and crap.
  • Ability to block the blue shell (trailing banana, backwards loaded shell?)
  • Lower the impact of customization. Bowser should always be slow accelerating, heavy, highest top speed. Customization in MK7 just went a little too far and made the characters into almost whatever you wanted them to be.
  • No rubber band BS (at least @ the highest CC levels) and no rubber band nonsense online, or create an online system for casuals & serious players who don't want rubber band nonsense. Make the power ups based on a true % instead of position (at least @ the highest CC levels)
  • I would say level designer, but i don't believe they have the skills to implement it right.

i have zero faith that any of these will be implemented in MK8. it will be full of rubber band AI & power ups at all difficulty levels and it would be better the race in 2nd place and then get the win at the end since 1st place is constantly raped by the rubber band power ups

FryHole

I want to have to earn the secret tracks, like in Super Mario Kart - it's too easy to pile through the standard cups these days.

What a crock. Snaking is a shit mechanic that becomes physically painful to execute. Mario kart 7 addressed that nightmare perfectly. I was good at snaking, but I hated it. It broke the game, only the tank and one other car were any good. An exploit rightly corrected.

i agree. snaking was shit and always was shit. it was never about your skills at MK, it was about your skills at snaking back then which took away from the game since all you do is snake to victory. get that garbage out of here. it's like abusing an over powered exploit in any online game and then claiming it was all based on skill.... no, just... no.

.la1n

Just remove the blue shell Nintendo and I will happily make a purchase. Have not enjoyed at Mario Kart since 64.

I have come to the sad conclusion that any new Mario Kart will fail to reach the heights of the SNES version for me.

I'm beyond caring at this point what they do with the franchise.

Salsa

You.. can't be serious. It's the one Nintendo game they tend to just shit out and put on a new sub title. It's THE one game that needs a serious overhaul.

im dead serious

it's the one game where they do that and I and the rest of the world just eat it up with very few to none complaints

it still hasnt aged in any considerable way IMO. Still fucking amazing fun each time

believe me im all against shitting out the same game over and over but im not a hypocrite either: I play every MK they put out and I love it

it's a delicate formula and im not sure why they'd mess with it beyond the way they already do (different vehicles, some small stuff here and there..)

GimMick

The list of tweaks I would like for a next, ideal MK, would be far too long. So I'll keep it to the basic and (slightly more reasonable stuff) :

- Handling closer to the first kart games (especially Super Mario Kart) back when it was an actual fantaisist GO-KART racer. Or at least something that is distinct from the all the other games while staying nervous;
- Faster speed, even if it's only for the 150cc class (50cc and 100cc can be as fast/slow as they want, I don't care;
- Constant 60fps in local multiplayer. It should always be granted, but MKWii was a travesty in that regard;
- A bit more content and challenge in single player. I completed the last games in a single day and without losing a single race. I know it's mostly a casual multi-player game, but I would like something to do other than time trial when I can't go online. S&ASRT pulled off the simple player very well so it's far from impossible;
- Expansion on the community feature introduced in MK7, with maybe a Miiverse integration
- An extension of the previous point, but advanced customisation options (laps, items...) à la Smash Bros. Kind of overdue at this point;
- More crazy tracks and/or more tracks based on other Mario games
[Examples : Pipe World from SMB3, Forest of Illusion from SMW, Freezeflame Galaxy from SMG]
- Track editor, even if fairly basic
:lol

What I actually expect to happen...

- Handling similar to MKWii/MK7
- GP mode structure indentical to MKWii/MK7
- Only 16 new tracks with average level design
- Retro tracks and extra characters in the form of DLC packs, with one per past game.
[Example : Super Mario Kart pack with 4 SNES tracks and the DK Jr. character]
- Glitches, glitches everywhere, most of which will never be patched
- Slightly improved online with a better community system, but still with limited customisation

As you can see I'm not very hyped for it yet, since I expect it to be very rushed, with a short development time to make the holiday season. I'll wait for the first trailers to judge the game though.

- Nerf or just completely remove the Blue Shell.

- Better track variety. Not asking for anything on the level of Sonic Transformed, but a nice shakeup in locales would be much appreciated.

- Get rid of rubberbanding, or at least give the option to remove it.

Add me to the list of people that didn't mind snaking in MKDS. I always felt that that was the last MK game where skill actually mattered.

Top Bottom