• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Resident Evil 3 Remake again on Nightmare difficulty and it just dawned on me that the final boss battle intended for the player to use the slowmotion aim assisted critical shots that follow a successful dodge. :eek:
maxresdefault.jpg

It is damn near impossible without all the NG+ dodge etc items you unlock.

GymWolf

The familiars feel a bit undercooked outside of the Fairy assist. The level design, boss weaknesses, and shield rod implementation are top of the class for sure though.

P.S. I am contemplating a Richter run after I get 100% of stuff with Alucard.
I tried a richter run when i was a child but i didn't knew how to do his shoryuken to get in high places.

You could also play the game as an axe blue knight.

I think a version of the game also let you play as maria renard...

Last edited:
It is damn near impossible without all the NG+ dodge etc items you unlock.
I might need to test it without items, but it is certainly a challenging finale. I would probably need to save 50 bullets for the magnum.

I tried a richter run when i was a child but i didn't know how to do his shoryuken to get in high places.

You could also play the game as an axe blue knight.

I think a version of the game also let you play as maria renard...
Richter Uppercut: down, up+jump. Richter Windmill: up, quarter-circle-forward+whip. Richter Slide: hold down+jump, jump. Richter Holy Rain: priceless!
The mobility of Axe Blue Knight is painful.
Maria is only in the Saturn version as far as I am aware.

Last edited:
Yep, such a fucking shame all future ports have used the inferior PS2 version as its base.
I played the original on the GC for hundreds of hours, but the 30 fps lock on Steam didn't bother me at all - during the actual game at last; all the anime cutscenes were super choppy for some reason.

That game was, and still is, pure magic.

I played the original on the GC for hundreds of hours, but the 30 fps lock on Steam didn't bother me at all - during the actual game at last; all the anime cutscenes were super choppy for some reason.

That game was, and still is, pure magic.
I think playing on a CRT is a large part of why it feels so much better than the PS3 version. I played about six hours into the PS3 version, twice, on a 55" Sony OLED, and the game is still more pleasing on my CRT with GameCube.

Oddly, it's the non-battle parts that make the 60fps feel so good for me. Running around town and in the overworld feels so much better than at 30fps. The actual battles are so chaotic that I don't know if framerate even matters. Maybe the PS3 version actually runs at sub-30fps in the overworld or something.

GymWolf

I might need to test it without items, but it is certainly a challenging finale. I would probably need to save 50 bullets for the magnum.

Richter Uppercut: down, up+jump. Richter Windmill: up, quarter-circle-forward+whip. Richter Slide: hold down+jump, jump. Richter Holy Rain: priceless!
The mobility of Axe Blue Knight is painful.
Maria is only in the Saturn version as far as I am aware.
Of fucking course the uppercut has the same button combination of the boot relic super jump of alucard :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Paltheos

Yakuza Kiwami 2

My third Yakuza game. In chapter 4 - just unlocked (and grinding) the Cabaret Club. Liking this allot more than Kiwami 1, whose combat was a big turd compared to 0's. I'm a little bothered by my options for crowd control and how hard it is to trigger heat actions at the moment (and their variety) but it's still way better than just not having hyperarmor lol (K1 is so bad). Story's not as good as 0's, but I'm more invested than I was in K1.

Crayon

Dragon’s Dogma 2. It’s starting to wear out it’s welcome. That or I’m just feeling the itch to play something else for a while. I feel like jumping back to my Quest 3 for a while.

I’m starting to notice that I don’t beat most games I play anymore. Some are just either too long, or I find myself getting distracted for the majority of the time, and when I’m finally ready to tackle main quest stuff, I’ve lost interest.

I leave so many games half done. I get through games super slow, especially open world games and rpgs. Anything that's not railroading me, actually. Whatever time to beat says, it's going to take me double.

So something like horizon that is long, pretty good but not exactly riveting, I'm going to be done with like halfway through. If I liked the game enough to play for 30 hours though, I might pull it off the shelf and finish it later. I tell myself "horizon forbidden west part 1 was great. Just long enough lol. Then the sequel, horizon forbidden west part 2 is ready and waiting if I ever decide to play.

Games tend to be most fun when you are going up the learning curve. Big games show you everything they've got well before they are over, though.

Dr. Suchong

Picked up Nfs unbound dirt cheap on Xbox series X.
Cars have a decent weight and good physics, I like that slight understeer which gives the sensation you're teetering on the edge of spinning out unless you drive skillfully.
I like the juxtaposition of the cel shading and realism, soundtrack isn't to my taste (bit too Gen Z for my liking) but there's some good beats.
It doesn't reinvent the wheel (no pun intended) however it's a solid effort.
I think the general consensus is that it's a bit mid, but so far I'm enjoying it.

Dr. Suchong

Yakuza Kiwami 2

My third Yakuza game. In chapter 4 - just unlocked (and grinding) the Cabaret Club. Liking this allot more than Kiwami 1, whose combat was a big turd compared to 0's. I'm a little bothered by my options for crowd control and how hard it is to trigger heat actions at the moment (and their variety) but it's still way better than just not having hyperarmor lol (K1 is so bad). Story's not as good as 0's, but I'm more invested than I was in K1.
Glad to hear Kiwami 2 is proving to be a step up from 1.
I'm currently on 1 and it seems like a bit of a back step from 0 (although, tbf, Zero was exceptional)
I have newfound confidence to push on through 1 to get to 2 now.

Dr. Suchong

Sf6.
Drowning in my own salt.
I just don't have the time to sit and practice these days.
Demoralising double perfect defeat from someone using Cammy last night.
I swear everything she does is plus on block or something.
I'm not entering Evo anytime soon..and thats ok lol

Paltheos

Sf6.
Drowning in my own salt.
I just don't have the time to sit and practice these days.
Demoralising double perfect defeat from someone using Cammy last night.
I swear everything she does is plus on block or something.
I'm not entering Evo anytime soon..and thats ok lol

Battle Hub is a mistake if you're not a strong player. I'm fairly convinced the majority population is Master-ranked players - Itself a wide pool (I say as a lower-end Master player myself) but still liable to kick the ass of players who aren't hardcore about the game.

Assuming you've been going to BH, ofc. If you play in Fighting Ground enough, ranked or casual, you should eventually reach a fair equilibrium of win/lose in player matchups.

All of Cammy's normals are minus on block btw, except for 2HP, which is in fact +1 on block. The bigger problem with Cammy imo is that Cannon Strike can be plus on block and good Cammys can usually achieve that (at best +3 on block is pretty helpful).

Dr. Suchong

Battle Hub is a mistake if you're not a strong player. I'm fairly convinced the majority population is Master-ranked players - Itself a wide pool (I say as a lower-end Master player myself) but still liable to kick the ass of players who aren't hardcore about the game.

Assuming you've been going to BH, ofc. If you play in Fighting Ground enough, ranked or casual, you should eventually reach a fair equilibrium of win/lose in player matchups.

All of Cammy's normals are minus on block btw, except for 2HP, which is in fact +1 on block. The bigger problem with Cammy imo is that Cannon Strike can be plus on block and good Cammys can usually achieve that (at best +3 on block is pretty helpful).
Thanks for the advice 👍

bender

What time is it?
Metroid Prime - Just be the little shop of horrors boss. This is usually the point I get to before bouncing off. I'm determined to beat it this time though!
Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island - My favorite game this year and I've barely scratched the surface.
Dave the Diver - Thanks to PS+ I get to see what all the fuss is about.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Finished Unicorn Overlord - did everything for the good and bad ending.
Rise of the Ronin - 10 hours in and I’m having fun with the Odachi/Katana/Rifle. I’m over the plot to the point I just skip to get to the mission. I’d take this game without a story. French soldiers remind me of a cool Captain America.

Metroid Prime - Just be the little shop of horrors boss. This is usually the point I get to before bouncing off. I'm determined to beat it this time though!
Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island - My favorite game this year and I've barely scratched the surface.
Dave the Diver - Thanks to PS+ I get to see what all the fuss is about.
I want to get Shiren the Wanderer. Did you play Unicorn Overlord? That’s my GOTY so far.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Return to Monkey Island - on act 3

Decided to start a new Fallout 4 play through and finish it this time, inspired by how good the show is. This time console rather than PC.

adamsapple

I tested it and Nightmare does indeed require at least two defense coins as it allows surviving two hits. Any less and a single stun lock even off an acid splash can end the fight.

Yep, the boss attacks ridiculously fast and stun locks if you get hit. The fight was made for players to come with those extra items to make it more manageable.

Muffdraul

FFVII Rebirth. I was loving it up to Cosmo Canyon, then it burned me out big time and started annoying me to the point where I did something I never, ever, EVER do... took a break to play other stuff. Overall I still think it's a great game, but... Take TotK for example. My first playthrough of that was almost 300 hours. Played it every day for almost two months until I beat it. Never got bored. Whereas after about 65 hours, Rebirth practically had me pissing my pants from boredom. I made it to the final battle last weekend, got all the way up to the last phase but just couldn't do it. After losing three times in a row, I said 'fuck this' and turned it off. And that fucking battle is so ridiculously long, there was no way I was going to start over again so soon. I decided to put it off until this coming weekend. If they're going to make a final boss battle that stupidly long, they really should have save points along the way. Sadistic A-holes. OG FFVII main story was basically Easy Mode only, guess I'll be setting Rebirth to Easy this weekend so I can just fucking be done with it already. OK I'm done venting...

Finally got back to Rebirth after a long distraction of Helldivers 2, picked it up after Gongaga and just finished Cosmo Canyon. Loving the game still, glad I took a break to avoid. burnout. Gonna wait until they actually fix all the broken shit in HD2 before playing more, it's frustrating the state the game's in.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Elden Ring still. Currently trying my luck on Mohg.

At the moment I just don’t see how to beat him. Can dodge almost every single attack of his in phase 1 but his 2nd phase is just too brutal. That bleeding damage is killing me. It’s everywhere. On the floor and his weapon when I block. EVERYWHERE! Shit’s insane.

King Dazzar

Horizon Zero Dawn on PS5. Great to revisit on PS5. Puts a lot of more recent games to shame graphically.

Also a headsup for folks. Theres an AC Mirage free 2hr trial (no need for PS+). So great time to demo it. I believe its up until 30th April. I enjoyed my couple of hrs with it. But will wait for another sale.

amigastar

Horizon Zero Dawn on PS5. Great to revisit on PS5. Puts a lot of more recent games to shame graphically.

Also a headsup for folks. Theres an AC Mirage free 2hr trial (no need for PS+). So great time to demo it. I believe its up until 30th April. I enjoyed my couple of hrs with it. But will wait for another sale.
I have Horizon Zero Dawn in my Steam Library. I always wanna play it but then an other game gets in between. I'm just not sure if i would like it or if it's actually really good.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I finally managed to beat FFVII Rebirth after 130 hours and loved it.

Funny both this game and Persona 3 Reload took me exactly around 130 hours but Unicorn Overlord took me 140 hours (I was literally obsessed with that game).

Now I’m finally ready for Stellar Blade!

bring-it-gabrielle-union.gif

Last edited:

GymWolf

Glad to hear Kiwami 2 is proving to be a step up from 1.
I'm currently on 1 and it seems like a bit of a back step from 0 (although, tbf, Zero was exceptional)
I have newfound confidence to push on through 1 to get to 2 now.
The only good thing about kiwami 1 remaster was the majima everywhere system, some very funny interactions with him.

2 is much better and you have the cabaret game from y0 so it's a great game by default.

Elden Ring still. Currently trying my luck on Mohg.

At the moment I just don’t see how to beat him. Can dodge almost every single attack of his in phase 1 but his 2nd phase is just too brutal. That bleeding damage is killing me. It’s everywhere. On the floor and his weapon when I block. EVERYWHERE! Shit’s insane.
If you don't want to buff stack two hit him or Azur nuke him you could wear gear with high Robustness (Radahn or Lionel set), eat Invigorating White Cured Meat, and equip Stalwart Horn Charm+Mottled Necklace. Also, using the Purified Crystal Tear (Second Marika Church in Altus Plateau) in your Flask of Wonderous Physick when he places the sign on you helps. Another aid is Mohg's Shackle (Subterranean Shunning Grounds Sewer in Leyndell Capital) which makes him kneel for a bit.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Legend of Nayatu has probably the biggest disconnect I've seen between the in-game model and the 2D art (yes I know this was originally a PSP game, but still .. look at this goofy shit)

zjCyMcl.jpeg

--

Also playing some SH Downpour, what a shame this never got a PC release (or even any kind of enhancements over BC), the atmosphere is there. The game just sucks in other ways.

f4okEf3.jpeg

Jbj5nPR.jpeg

yV0RooI.png

gHkrkER.jpeg

6Xu4X5k.png

King Dazzar

I have Horizon Zero Dawn in my Steam Library. I always wanna play it but then an other game gets in between. I'm just not sure if i would like it or if it's actually really good.
You definitely have to be in the mood for an open world game. But yeah, I'm loving it. Though YMMV for sure, it is a solid experience regardless.

Also playing some SH Downpour, what a shame this never got a PC release (or even any kind of enhancements over BC), the atmosphere is there. The game just sucks in other ways.

f4okEf3.jpeg

Jbj5nPR.jpeg

yV0RooI.png

gHkrkER.jpeg

6Xu4X5k.png
If they narrowed the focus of the game, expanded combat inventory, and improved the guilt plot twist it would be a lot better. Really love the Radio building segment, but suburbs are great too.

adamsapple

If they narrowed the focus of the game, expanded combat inventory, and improved the guilt plot twist it would be a lot better. Really love the Radio building segment, but suburbs are great too.

In general, running around in the foggy streets was the best part for me and the closest thing invoking SH2 (before the inevitable remake comes out).

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
If you don't want to buff stack two hit him or Azur nuke him you could wear gear with high Robustness (Radahn or Lionel set), eat Invigorating White Cured Meat, and equip Stalwart Horn Charm+Mottled Necklace. Also, using the Purified Crystal Tear (Second Marika Church in Altus Plateau) in your Flask of Wonderous Physick when he places the sign on you helps. Another aid is Mohg's Shackle (Subterranean Shunning Grounds Sewer in Leyndell Capital) which makes him kneel for a bit.
Thanks. I knew about the tear and I’m using it to avoid the damage to phase 2. As for the rest… not sure how much this will help me. I have no so much problems with the bleeding damage per se, but with the damage Mohg is doing in general in phase 2. It’s almost impossible to avoid it. Have to practice my dodges there. So hard…

Top Bottom