• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Just completed my Days Gone replay. I played at launch and was surprised how good it was. Sony bros were barely lukewarm on it and I didn’t read a single “raving” review or impression. Sometimes I wonder if most Sony bros are OK. For me, this game deserves the accolades that TLOU gets. Not that TLOU is bad, but if we’re talking post apocalyptic adventures, with romance, brotherhood, action, fear, suspense and wonder, well Days Gone blows it away. Bursting at the seams with content, and one of the cleanest, most developed 3 act stories in all of gaming. In a fair world it would be seen as it is: one of last gen’s very best games.

Just going by numbers of characters I thought were well acted and most importantly, unique. Days Gone has among the most in all of gaming: Deek, Boozer, Sarah, Tucker, Iron Mike, Rikki, Skizzo, Copeland, Manny. I’m probably missing some, but holy shit. I played Cyberpunk right before and even it barely keeps up on that front. You can keep the Mass Effect crew, I’m going to war with those mentioned above.

Weapons were great to use and I was always close enough to tangible, game changing new ones. As an avid shooter myself, I thought they did great with the ballistics feel. Nothing was laser dependable outside of high end snipers. You get a dynamic, loose fitting reticule depending on the gun type. You level up as a player through experience. Learning where to put the reticule, how the gun recoil feels etc. Things are rough at first, but by end game you can be a deadly assassin even with those starting guns. Their stats didn’t level up, your brain did. You’ll never get to 100% accuracy, but you can get pretty damn close with skill. Really feels rewarding. The most important thing in any shooter: headshots always kill instantly. Even heavies at the end, once you pop that helmet off, a headshot with even the weakest gun insta kills. Loadout diversity was brilliant. Do I take a human loadout, zombie or hybrid? Choices mattered For the whole 50 hours you either just got a gun that changes everything, or you’re getting into the swing of using that game. There was rarely a dull moment in that department and I was motivated to grind the next one.

The bike. My steed. My dragon. My wizard. The cocktail of weapon handling, zombies and the bike make for an amazing stew. By the end of the game you’re really attached to this thing. It gets you out of every jam and you’re quick to gas it up or repair it when needed. Not to mention the large amount of upgrades you can buy for it. It’s S Tier in terms of vehicle/horse bond in a game. The game has a great survival-light thing going on. Bike requires gas, you can only change load outs at a camp, Shit gets harder at night. Struck a great balance there and the bike was the glue.

Sequels….. I don’t know. I like to say all games don’t need sequels. Sometimes it cheapens a great experience or piece of art (Matrix, Star Wars, Deus Ex). I’m afraid Sony would listen to the industry reviewers and trade the characters for wisecracking, irony bro DEI cardboard cutouts (Days Gone has a strong black, female, lesbian doctor that actually doesn’t feel forced BTW. This alone deserves a diversity award.) At a minimum I don’t think we’d see Deek and Boozer types in the lead roles. Really Sony Bend got a streak of Rockstar quality writing and storyboarding on this one. I can’t overstate how good they did. In a perfect world where I have dictatorial control over the project, sure, I’d love a sequel. But it’s 2024, the year of our lord, and we live in Clown World.

Everyone should play Days Gone. It’s an S Tier open world game and maybe the best zombie game. I didn’t even mention the hordes…. buy this. It’s worth full price.
I am playing through this for the first time right now. I am at the point where Carlos is introduced and feel like the rug has been pulled out from underneath me. The backstory there is so incredibly lame. I really enjoyed the game prior, but that segment broke the gameplay and narrative loop.

I like the bike, but it has a low top speed. Also, when there is a bounty and they have to be brought in alive, instead of prepping the bike for it you just leave them lying on the road.

The weapons are not great in this or rather taking a shot really makes lining up a subsequent shot difficult with the recoil even when having perks for it. Most of the time I am just focus shooting crossbow or rolling around and swinging away with sawblade bat (with perks that make them one shots on most enemies). The only explosives I use are frag grenades and Molotov cocktails as the rest have small range and/or damage. As far as hordes, there does not seem to be any gun that can handle them. Most of the time I am just tossing an attractor giving it a few seconds and throwing a Molotov at the center or just tossing the frag. How do you kill the horde at the farm anyways? I always run out of materials before a wave of them crashes over me.

Last edited:

simpatico

I am playing through this for the first time right now. I am at the point where Carlos is introduced and feel like the rug has been pulled out from underneath me. The backstory there is so incredibly lame. I really enjoyed the game prior, but that segment broke the gameplay and narrative loop.

I like the bike, but it has a low top speed. Also, when there is a bounty and they have to be brought in alive, instead of prepping the bike for it you just leave them lying on the road.

The weapons are not great in this or rather taking a shot really makes lining up a subsequent shot difficult with the recoil even when having perks for it. Most of the time I am just focus shooting crossbow or rolling around and swinging away with sawblade bat (with perks that make them one shots on most enemies). The only explosives I use are frag grenades and Molotov cocktails as the rest have small range and/or damage. As far as hordes, there does not seem to be any gun that can handle them. Most of the time I am just tossing an attractor giving it a few seconds and throwing a Molotov at the center or just tossing the frag. How do you kill the horde at the farm anyways? I always run out of materials before a wave of them crashes over me.
Do you have saddle bags to hold extra ammo? If I'm really struggling with a horde and want to cheese it (without actually cheesing it like high ground spots), I'll kite them around on the bike. Hop off, gun about 20 down. Kite more. Rinse repeat. Eats up ammo, but at least feels semi organic rather than finding a cheap high ground spot. If you absolutely want to cheese it just youtube "______ horde high ground" Once you get to the next camp, you'll get maybe the most important horde killing tool. I wouldn't focus on them until you get there. Eventually you'll get a mission and all the hordes will be on your map.

I didn't love the Carlos origin story either. I'm not comparing the Days Gone story to literature or films, just against other games. Which is a hell of a curve to grade on. I like the gunplay. Shooting guns accurately is insanely hard to do. Shooting them perfectly accurate is impossible. Gaming has kinda spoiled us on that. The lack of a true crosshair adds to the survival element and it's not like that makes it less realistic. By the end of the game I could headshot freaks with the huge LMG reticule You should have access to the MWS now. I remember that being an accuracy revelation compared to the AK. Once you get the good sniper rifles, the need for laser accuracy on ARs and small arms drops off. The better rifles are just lasers.

Gears of War Judgment is awesome so far. Finished all of chapter 1. Really like how you can accept additional difficulty modifiers for small sections, almost like DMC or something. Chapter 2, I notice the voice actress is Lightning (FFXIII).

Do you have saddle bags to hold extra ammo? If I'm really struggling with a horde and want to cheese it (without actually cheesing it like high ground spots), I'll kite them around on the bike. Hop off, gun about 20 down. Kite more. Rinse repeat. Eats up ammo, but at least feels semi organic rather than finding a cheap high ground spot. If you absolutely want to cheese it just youtube "______ horde high ground" Once you get to the next camp, you'll get maybe the most important horde killing tool. I wouldn't focus on them until you get there. Eventually you'll get a mission and all the hordes will be on your map.

I didn't love the Carlos origin story either. I'm not comparing the Days Gone story to literature or films, just against other games. Which is a hell of a curve to grade on. I like the gunplay. Shooting guns accurately is insanely hard to do. Shooting them perfectly accurate is impossible. Gaming has kinda spoiled us on that. The lack of a true crosshair adds to the survival element and it's not like that makes it less realistic. By the end of the game I could headshot freaks with the huge LMG reticule You should have access to the MWS now. I remember that being an accuracy revelation compared to the AK. Once you get the good sniper rifles, the need for laser accuracy on ARs and small arms drops off. The better rifles are just lasers.
Thanks for the heads up. I am just not much of a trick shot in games. I like slower powerful guns that can take out targets by aiming center mass at mid range. I unlocked a really good shotgun recently which I enjoy using without focus.

As far as the story and scenario design I have been binging it like a TV series. I was just let down by the latest developments because they instantly brought everything to a boil but lacked nuance and failed to bring any sense of closure.

Last edited:

Nydius

Wrapped up Stellar Blade NG+ last night, just started up Little Kitty Big City on Game Pass. From what I’m seeing I’ll probably have this completely finished in about 3-4 hours.

Fredrik

Took down Darak in No Rest for the Wicked last night, this game is pulling all the right strings for me, love the combat and visuals and general design and map layout. And Sacramento is seriously one of the best designed RPG cities ever, so many layers and nooks and crannies, and I still have so much to evolve.
Early Access and already my GOTY.

Dazraell

I just started FFXVI: The Rising Tide dlc. I like the new region and a premise is quite interesting, but coming back to FFXVI right after Rebirth makes its locations feel even smaller

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I think Majora's Mask finally clicked with me, after so many years and more than a few tries.

I'm 3 dungeons in, and I've been having a blast. First one was kinda too simple (it's the first one after all) but I appreciate that it takes for granted that you come from OoT and starts doing keys and mid-bosses right from the get go. I also like that you have to do a ton of stuff between reaching a new area and accesing the dungeon of that area, something that already happens in OoT but I think there's more of that here.

But the start of the show, imo, is all the sidecontent. There a fuck ton of stuff to do and unluck, much more than in the previous titles. I think I still have to find like 24 heart pieces lol.

Anyway, very cool game. Thought the time mechanic was going to be a hassle but nah, it's fine and it leads to some cool stuff.

I wonder if Aonuma might be a Groundhog Day fan.

I just abandoned Fallout New Vegas - was enjoying it, but then I read they may be doing a remake, and I don't like to play things twice.

Moved on to Jedi Survivor which is awesome (don't even really care for Star Wars). Playing a bit of PGA Tour on the side too...

Cyberpunk or FFVII Rebirth next I think.

Another Crab Treasure day 3. There is some fun stuff in here, but the core combat just isnt good enough. Tons of inputs eaten. Enemies have insane tracking. Ended up just turning on the gun assist and its made it a lot more fun. You get a handgun for a shell with insane defense and it can shoot if you want to basically kill anything. I recommend just using it. I think I have 2 main areas to go. This will likely be a 6.5 for me. Some cool ideas but major problems on some of the game design fundamentals at times. Still can be enjoyable for big chunks of time.

Forth

I've mentioned it before but Destiny 2 on PS5, I've only gotten into it about three weeks ago and I can't stop this about it.
It's made me love gaming again and I'm not into mp games at all.

violence

UybL7pT.jpeg

A Plague Tale Requiem - Looks great. Very heavy on PC.

★★★★☆

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Another Crab's Adventure is probably the most cheerful looking Souls-Like I've ever seen. Humor is also on-point.

And you can give your crab a fucking GUN.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Playing Animal Well, really enjoying it. Then comes the summer of JRPGs. Granblue Fantasy: Relink, Sea of Stars, Eiyuden Chronicle, One Piece Odyssey, Super Mario RPG, and if I have time left, possibly squeeze in one more.

I go on a JRPG binge every summer from late May/Early June til September. As many JRPGs as I can beat and squeeze in. So that's the docket for this year. I started The Alliance Alive HD, but didn't finish it last year, so that's probably what I'll do if I still have time left this year.

Another Crab's Adventure is probably the most cheerful looking Souls-Like I've ever seen. Humor is also on-point.

And you can give your crab a fucking GUN.
I highly recommend playing the whole game with the gun. The combat sucks.

Had a great session last night. I feel like the actual joy in the game is in exploring the environments, especially the late game corporation shipping area. Feels like something out of Mario Sunshine and was a lot of fun. Can't even imaging suffering through that without turning on every assist in the options menu there is.

Shifty1897

Finished Xenoblade Chronicles 3 over the weekend, 140 hours. Jumped right into the DLC, the last thing I need to finish before this 2+ year long attempt to play through the whole series is complete.

Matthew's accent makes absolutely no sense.

Last edited:

stn

Two games as of late:

XSX - WWE 2K23 - doing the last online achievement, 60% done. I hate the grind but they're going to eventually take the servers down so I'm getting it out of the way.
PS5 - Stellar Blade - possibly my GOTY 2024, it is great.

By the end of the game I could headshot freaks with the huge LMG reticule You should have access to the MWS now. I remember that being an accuracy revelation compared to the AK. Once you get the good sniper rifles, the need for laser accuracy on ARs and small arms drops off. The better rifles are just lasers.
Just finished the game. It is strange that hordes are not visible until the second to last mission. The Napalm Molotovs did not make much of a difference. My strategy just ended up being giving them a runaround and shooting explosive barrels after my throwables and attractors were used up. Using the BFG .50 and axe bat broke the game for other encounters. It is sad that the various crossbow bolts are unlocked so late into the game that they are effectively pointless.

Only good missions after the Carlos debacle were the trip to Chemult Community College and Cloverdale. I really started to tire of the game during the Militia arc and they really leaned heavily on those walk along conversations. At least could have let me roll and run around like a jackass to alleviate boredom. Also, I feel the game should have given some closure on Lisa's fate.

P.S. Have you tried resetting jobs option in menu after clearing the game?

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
MLB The Show 24 - I'm usually not a sports game person, but I always enjoy baseball. I started a Road to the Show dude named Moose Priest. I was drafted by the Oakland A's and started out in their AA, the Midland Rockhounds. I worked my ass off and just over the weekend I got called up to AAA, I'm not a Las Vegas Aviator. The jump to AAA was rough at the start, couldn't hit for shit (my defense as a short stop has been great though, I find that easy). Started doing better last night though, and got signed to a 1 year contract by the A's for 75k. Not much but not bad either. Still waiting to be called up to the majors, though. The grind continues!

Trails of Cold Steel - Been playing this on the Steam Deck mostly, so haven't been making tons of progress. I'm closing in on the end of Chapter 3 and I'm really loving the plot, as well as the character interactions. Alisa = waifu.

Fallout 76 - Like many, the show got me back to Fallout. Was going to do the F4 new patch stuff but Fallout 76 snagged me instead. I'm really like just working on quests and occasionally doing public events. I always join a casual team for the bonuses, and sometimes meet someone by using them as a free fast travel. Really fun game.

engstra

Rolled credits on Dave the Diver after 30ish hours. Game really hooked me. Not sure if I want to bother going for the platinum. Don't have much left to do it however now that everything is fully explored and I've reached highest rating there isn't much left to do except grind to level up staff. Got half the Fishmon left but having to wait a week between each one is way too long.
Has anyone played the Dredge DLC, does it add anything story/exploration wise?

Paltheos

Finished 100%ing Gravity Circuit. Definitely a hidden gem. Gameplay loop is Mega Man X, except you punch things and it's way faster. Pretty much what I'd expect from a genre title; I can't think of any major faults. Some of the optional upgrades can overpower you but that's about it.

I've heard some reviews say the game is hard but this wasn't really my impression. Even on my low% run (for an achievement), nothing killed me from full life more than a few times except the final boss, and the movement challenges are just a smooth time.

Alebrije

The Stalker trilogy...ended Shadows, Nice game a little outdated graphics but interesting plot.

Clear Sky looks better and is less hard than Shadows.

Also downloaded Farcry 6...if You like FC mechamics it's a mix between FC3 and 4
Nothing new to the granchise but fun of You use " El Guapo"

hemo memo

Last level of Hotline Miami 2. By far the most difficult level of 2 games. Yet, that one more try feeling is incredible. I was tired yesterday so I will tackle this after work.

simpatico

Just finished the game. It is strange that hordes are not visible until the second to last mission. The Napalm Molotovs did not make much of a difference. My strategy just ended up being giving them a runaround and shooting explosive barrels after my throwables and attractors were used up. Using the BFG .50 and axe bat broke the game for other encounters. It is sad that the various crossbow bolts are unlocked so late into the game that they are effectively pointless.

Only good missions after the Carlos debacle were the trip to Chemult Community College and Cloverdale. I really started to tire of the game during the Militia arc and they really leaned heavily on those walk along conversations. At least could have let me roll and run around like a jackass to alleviate boredom. Also, I feel the game should have given some closure on Lisa's fate.

P.S. Have you tried resetting jobs option in menu after clearing the game?
Stick around after the credits roll. Clean up some side missions. After about 2-3 hours of in game time after the credits, you’ll get a call from O’Brien. You really want to stick around to see that through.

I’m trying to clear all the side missions before I reset anything. I never have motivation to 100% a game, but I can’t stop playing this. Gonna clear all the hordes, camps and side missions before I put it down.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Still on Majora's Mask, got the 4th temple down and I'm ready to face Skull Kid, this time for real.

I think my favorite region has been the Ikana Canyon. Commanding the undead, the ninjas, the castle and all the stuff with the little girl and her zombified father.

Stone Temple has also been pretty cool. Not a big temple considering it seems to be the last one, but it had some cool puzzles and I have to admit, I almost got stuck not once but twice lol. Still, they were kinda generous, having Tatl focus on those little chests you have to use the hookshot on. Also quite stressful, since I was about to run out of time. :goog_relieved:

I'll keep playing after beating the game, since I'm still missing 4 or 5 masks and a whooping 18 heart pieces. It would be a shame to leave the game like that.

I played that for the first time like 2 years ago. Despite the bad translation the plot was really easy to follow

Such a fantastic game too

It's never going to happen, but it would benefit so much from an FF7R style remake. The battle system, the story, the setting. Awesome FMVs of Dragon Campaign, visuals in the wingly cities, it would be awesome to see all that in 4K HD.

foamdino

Started Unicorn Overlord - what a game!

Still playing the odd session of Gran Blue Fantasy: Relink - trying to max out at least one character and build up a strong(ish) end game team.

Jumped into Season 4 of Diablo IV (on pc) for the brain spiders/numbers-go-up serotonin fix (maybe I'll even bother with the nightmare dungeons this season).

TintoConCasera

Finished Majora's Mask on the N64.

Managed to complete the bomber's notebook and also got all the masks. Still got 6 heart pieces to find but honestly, I don't care lol. :goog_relieved:

Final boss was a joke but I guess it's because I was using the Fierce Deity mask. A bit of a bummer but the ending sequence was pretty cool, so it's fine.

Had to use a guide only to find the last person of the notebook, which happened to be a hand inside a toilet in the motel that only appears at midnight. Lmao, don't know I could have managed to find that on my own if not by sheer luck.

Anyway, amazing game all around. Game feels more like a big puzzle rather than an adventure like OoT. Not better nor worse, just different, but still quite enjoyable.

amigastar amigastar were you who asked me about the performance? I think it's fine. Some parts make the console struggle a little bit but nothing out of the ordinary for a N64 game. It can get bad, but not Conker or Banjo-Tooie bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom