• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what happened to anime?

Nah. Best thus far is either Kado or Re:creators.

Thankfully both are originals and not light novel adapatations as far as I know.

Tried watching this
gave up after moe anime scientist girl appeared with an etch-a-sketch... that and the CG character animations were super jank

Whats the joke here?

The animation is horribad:
68baauN.gif

This happened.

bobawesome

ogW3xXY.jpg

Nothing "happened to anime". There were mediocre shows filled with fanservice and subpar plots before streaming services but it's easier to see now that you have a large library right in front of you. Don't put down an entire medium just because you're too lazy to do any research.

Gnome

I do find myself wondering why certain Manga that are really good haven't been made into Anime. Like, where's my Vinland Saga show? Or 20th Century Boys? I find it hard to believe it's just the element of exposure when we're supposedly getting more Anime than ever yet some really fantastic Manga never get adapted. It's hard not to read that as a shift in trends.

KillLaCam

Banned
ogW3xXY.jpg

Nothing "happened to anime". There were mediocre shows filled with fanservice and subpar plots before streaming services but it's easier to see now that you have a large library right in front of you. Don't put down an entire medium just because you're too lazy to do any research.

I want my super edgy dark for no reason we anime like Shigurui, Demon City Shinjuku or Ninja Scroll. That literally doesn't exist anymore. I'm almost certain that I've seen it all. Would be cool to be proved wrong though.

There's still manga like that though

Sojgat

I want my super edgy dark for no reason we anime like Shigurui, Demon City Shinjuku or Ninja Scroll. That literally doesn't exist anymore. I'm almost certain that I've seen it all. Would be cool to be proved wrong though.

There's still manga like that though

If you haven't already seen it, seek out the recent Lupin the Third movie Goemon Ishikawa's Spray of Blood, directed by Takeshi Koike (Redline).

Just look at this shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cvBzZp29Xc

Mokujin

Whats the joke here?

No joke sadly, CGI animation is horrible, I would love to follow the story but I just can't stand watching it.

And OP don't believe those saying that anime hasn't changed, it has, moe and fanservice have ruined about 90℅ of the series released these past years but fortunately there are some quality ones here and there worth following, ie Haykuu, My hero academia, Yamato 2199, recent GITs OVAs, Attack on titan,...

Galang

Banned
The new berserk series seriously tarnished the brand even more ... I hate to see an amazing manga constantly reduced to troll posts :(

I think there are still good anime, but it's definitely becoming rarer and rarer to find ones that grab my attention. :/

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
While I don't think anime is any worse now than at any point in it's history, I do tend to hate how clean a lot of anime looks now-a-days. I guess it's like the debate between film v digital with films, I love the graininess of old anime. It especially loves beautiful when it's restored at 1080p cus you can see the texture of the cel animations so well.

WIth digital with films, though, there are lots of ways to get digital to look exactly like film, so it really doesn't matter too much there anymore.

Are there any new animes that try to copy that texture of cel animation?

[edit]

This is especially noticeable when you compare the Eva anime/End of Eva with the new movies. You go from this really textured and gritty feel to this super soft and clean look.

I'm really tired of old anime fans complaining about the current state of anime when most of the time all the info they got is a quick look at CR's index and probably the usual gifs that get thrown around on the net :/
Like really, you guys are not that different from old guys who start every second sentence with "back in my day..."

And the younger folks complain just as much when an older fan says newer stuff sucks. Here's how the conversation really goes:

Old Fan: "I don't watch anime newer than 2000 (sometimes even 1998!) because it all looks like crap."
New/Recent Fan: "I don't watch anime older than 2000 (sometimes even 2005!) because it all looks like crap."

Seriously, the same arguments, the same nonsense. I stopped being an old man about it a while ago and just watch crap that appeals to me. Sometimes it's Space Dandy or Dragon Ball Super, sometimes it's Kobayashi's Dragon Maid or Bakuon!! or the like. I just don't care. I've been roped into a few shitty LN adaptations before (see my previous post) and it's annoying, but that's when I do my best to cut through those and find something interesting.

We have a lot more available to us now than we did in the 80s and 90s. Fansubs are even easier and faster to get than the VHS days. Commercially released stuff has both languages instead of having to hunt down and buy a sub-only tape. Hell, I buy both recent and older anime releases on BD because older cel stuff is fantastic with a good remaster (Ranma 1/2 and YYH are good examples) and sometimes I just want a newer show instead of having to stream it on CR or Funi.

Let's just all get along, help each other find stuff we each like based on our own wants, and then say we like anime.

The confimation bias is strong in this one.
They are obviously not posting the entire list of good shows, just the best ones.

I don't believe you know what confirmation bias means.

If they were posting the best ones since 2013, then, hell, I could name a whole bunch more, and the fact they've picked some of the most recent ones kind of supports what I'm saying.

This situation didn't exist in the past either. There were tons of bad anime released every season, and selective memory is probably the biggest part of what makes nostalgia so powerful.

That said, if a season has 1 or 2 good shows, that's probably a win, as it was rare in the past too. Most shows in the past were awful, most shows now are awful. That hasn't changed.

The thing that has changed has more to do with scale and the mode of production. Those are real problems that need resolution, but neither has much to do with whether or not an anime is good. Most anime are still basically the equivalent of action figures; fantasies for boys that tend to make little sense or provide much context. Fun, mindless romps. And hey, if you need to shut your brain off, anime is there, and was there (though I might argue that this is true of any medium, ala Sturgeon's law).

Visit Anichart and have a stroll down memory lane. You're misremembering what anime seasons used to look like. They used to be consistently packed with quality shows, and when I say packed I'm talking at least 4-7 shows every season that were at the very least decent.

2013 was the last year I remember having a good number of anime each season but even it had been in decline. I think they last truly great year was probably 2008. In fact, the anime that came out between 2006-8 were an embarrassment of riches.

Kenstar

2013 was the last year I remember having a good number of anime each season but even it had been in decline. I think they last truly great year was probably 2008. In fact, the anime that came out between 2006-8 were an embarrassment of riches.

Attack on Titan
Beyond the Boundary
Chihayafuru
The Devil Is a Part-Timer!
The Eccentric Family
Encouragement of Climb
The Flowers of Evil
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Gatchaman Crowds
Golden Time
Gundam Build Fighters
Genshiken
Hajime no Ippo
Kyōsōgiga
Love Lab
Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Monogatari Second Season
Muromi-san
Motenai
Non Non Biyori
Samurai Flamenco
Servant × Service
Silver Spoon
Yowamushi Pedal
Yozakura Quartet
Yuyushiki

Yeah what a middling year 2013 was barely passable

JCG

Berserk's CG quality is especially bad because there are much better 3D shows currently airing. Miura's manga deserved more than this, that's for sure.

ReaperXL7

Some movies I've seen recently that I like include stuff like Summer Wars, the boy and the beast, patema inverted. I've been trying to catch up on DCAU so my watching time is somewhat limited.

There is good anime out there, sometimes you just have to dig through trash to find it.

Kalentan

Tried watching this
gave up after moe anime scientist girl appeared with an etch-a-sketch... that and the CG character animations were super jank

The girl can be annoying but luckily she only appears every little bit. Episodes go by where she doesn't appear or if she does it's for like a line or two.

I do feel like she was a bad choice. It does feel like she was put in there to pander to an audience that wouldn't watch a show like it normally.

The CG can be a little janky but I think it works overall fine because the characters aren't doing huge actions when they're CG. It does look better when it's not CG tho.

Cyrano

Visit Anichart and have a stroll down memory lane. You're misremembering what anime seasons used to look like. They used to be consistently packed with quality shows, and when I saw packed I'm talking at least 4-7 shows every season that were at the very least decent.

I think I'm a little stricter than you... I'm seeing entire seasons in 2004-2007 that I can't remember anything good being released in.

The entire year of 2004, the only memorable ones I see are Beck, Monster, and Samurai Champloo. The rest are average or forgettable. I even remember enjoying some of these anime, like Maria ga Miteru, but they were nothing to write home about. (For the people who care, I don't consider GitS, aside from the movie, to be very good.)

edit: yeah, going through anichartz is only confirming my belief that there are only 2-4 good anime produced in a given year. Even lower than I expected, actually.

Top Bottom