• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what happened to anime?

KonradLaw

:)

The first two are actually from a video game, the last one is from a card game. So I'm cheating.

Well..to be honest, combining nazi with loli gave us this year's best anime so far :)
4cf45e7d4f040ff122d444d0_1491047779.gif

Youjo Senki

Are ya thinking of AnoHana instead of Aku no Hana? :p
Fansubbers consider actually translating the title of a show into English to be blasphemous, and this is why they are wrong.

Unless of course, gatekeeping is the order of the day.

But on topic, I tend to prefer older shows myself. I worked on the SF2 Movie BD a while back and all I can say is the fight choreography might be unsurpassed by any other anime and the movie is pretty much inarguably more visually interesting than any other fighting game anime. Even if the plot is pretty much by the numbers. Even all the later Street Fighter anime/OVAs were nowhere near as awesome. This is not a serious argument but the ~90s era (give or take) definitely had something going for it that is missing these days in that medium. There are still good shows coming out, and I know there was plenty of older garbage content that got made we never saw in the US, but we no longer see the crazy cool fluid-animation works that crossed barriers in the same way.

petran79

Banned
Another big issue is that when people first get into anime, they binge on the good stuff. Not counting Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Pokemon, I first really got into anime in 2001. At that time I was watching Evangelion, Princess Mononoke, Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Gundam, etc. This stuff was genuinely mindblowing and completely different from everything I had seen before. But overtime, once you see all the classics, the drivel really stands out. Not to mention so many modern anime fans have terrible recommendations. "Dude, watch Kill la Kill! It's SUPPOSED to be bad!"

Too bad that Gonzo Digimation got broke. That studio produced some of the best shows during the first half of the last decade.

Even Bones animation were at their peak during that time, Gainax as well before the department of their main animators.

Output was insane. I dont think so many quality TV series will ever be produced again in just 5 years.

Lucumo

Another big issue is that when people first get into anime, they binge on the good stuff. Not counting Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Pokemon, I first really got into anime in 2001. At that time I was watching Evangelion, Princess Mononoke, Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Gundam, etc. This stuff was genuinely mindblowing and completely different from everything I had seen before. But overtime, once you see all the classics, the drivel really stands out. Not to mention so many modern anime fans have terrible recommendations. "Dude, watch Kill la Kill! It's SUPPOSED to be bad!"

Really? For me it was the other way around. Got introduced via TV and 80% of what was airing back then wasn't good. Granted, we also never got Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop and Akira (also no YYH, HunterXHunter etc). So it was more a case of: "Watch this stuff on TV regardless of quality."

Triteon

Its such a cliche at this point.

Yea i miss some stuff from the 90s. But i can point to many shows post 2000 that i really love.

I stopped watching anime for about a decade and when i came back I moved from loving action to prefering humour.

Yea there seems to be too many highschool based shows and sports/club animes. But i generally find one or two news shows a year i think are fantastic.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Hey, do you know where I can watch this online? Legally I mean. I looked for it after Austin Walker talked about it but came up empty.

I think Daisuki.net has it

More importantly, since when does Gundam count as real robot? :D
I mean, I know Gundam isn't Gasaraki or Patlabor but c'mon...08th MS Team is real robot. Hard sci-fi real robot doesn't make for entertaining anime most times.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Anime in the 80's and 90's were my jam. There have been a few good ones ever since 2000 hit, but nothing as good or memorable as the golden years, in my opinion.

Szadek

The are still about as many good anime as ever.
Most people, who say stuff like OP, just don't remember or haven't see all the bad and mediocre animes of the past, so they end up comparing the best anime of the past to the average anime of today.

PixlNinja

Banned
I stopped caring about anime once it got all shiny and plastic-y looking once digital became the norm.

Also, the manly-man balls to the wall OVA days of the 80s and 90s are long gone.

Bruh Ping Pong the Animation and Showa Rakugo Genroku Shinjuu are two of the best TV anime of all time...

It's hard to take the threads seriously when I see comment like these.

Haikyu and My Hero Academia are like two of the best anime ever.

Y'all picking out individual shows out of entire seasons. One or two good shows out of 20 don't make it a good season. Far from it.

Used to be you needed a fair few quality anime to make it a good season. You're just proving my point by holding up these few examples you've been able to pick out of the constant stream of shit nowadays.

Nose Master

There's just way too much of it now, so finding legitimately decent stuff takes some doing. It's impossible to ask for recommendations, cause the loli harem trash is so abundant because people love that shit.

Jarmel

Banned
Anime used to be manly in the 80's, we had cowboy bebop and samurai champloo

Now we got Your name and A Silent Voice (girly dating nonsense) and Nichijou (some moe moe kyun shit with bad graphics and not even funny or cool)
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/6237fe024471f559017423c7c1350e8c.webm
Look at this 'Goodnight Moon'-looking shit, clearly catering towards some mentally deficient manchild otaku niche

GIVE ME BACK MY TRIGUN
nQaf567.gif

I'm hoping this is a parody post but I can't tell in this thread.

Szadek

Y'all picking out individual shows out of entire seasons. One or two good shows out of 20 don't make it a good season. Far from it.

Used to be you needed a fair few quality anime to make it a good season. You're just proving my point by holding up these few examples you've been able to pick out of the constant stream of shit nowadays.
The confimation bias is strong in this one.
They are obviously not posting the entire list of good shows, just the best ones.
There's just way too much of it now, so finding legitimately decent stuff takes some doing. It's impossible to ask for recommendations, cause the loli harem trash is so abundant because people love that shit.
Where have you been asking for recommendations?
I rarely see people recommanding these kind of shows unless you are asking for something like that.
Even the most people that watch that kind of stuff know that it is basically the anime equivalent of fast food.

Cyrano

This situation didn't exist in the past either. There were tons of bad anime released every season, and selective memory is probably the biggest part of what makes nostalgia so powerful.

That said, if a season has 1 or 2 good shows, that's probably a win, as it was rare in the past too. Most shows in the past were awful, most shows now are awful. That hasn't changed.

The thing that has changed has more to do with scale and the mode of production. Those are real problems that need resolution, but neither has much to do with whether or not an anime is good. Most anime are still basically the equivalent of action figures; fantasies for boys that tend to make little sense or provide much context. Fun, mindless romps. And hey, if you need to shut your brain off, anime is there, and was there (though I might argue that this is true of any medium, ala Sturgeon's law).

Nepenthe

I think it's somewhat fallacious to assume any given medium improves exponentially due to changing standards and is always "better than it's ever been." The posts explaining the consequences of economic stagnation on the medium do a good job of outlining its current challenges and differences from the past. But I think one can just look at it and honestly see the resulting art style changes from then and now. Character expression and detail seems to have been simplified and streamlined as workflows have moved to digital. There is also a difference in color choice and palettes as paint and digital colors have different considerations to take into account. There is an appeal in the art of the old Dragon Ball and Z as compared to Super that isn't just limited to any of their model issues, but is simply a result of it not being gestured, drawn, and colored as well as in the past on average. Same with something like Pokemon, which has literally been the same exact shit since its inception.

Tizoc

im goin through crunchyroll rn and this is just not catching me anymore. i tried to watch some of this shit but either its some school drama melodramtic type bullshit or its over the top to the point the shit is not even enjoyable.

what happened to that weird action type anime from the 90s man real shit

also why is shonen still a thing :S

EDIT: same goes for manga as well cant catch anything that really sparked me the way it did in the past
Watch jojo's bizarre adventure at least.
Heck there lots of cool shonen and non shonen series on cr
Ypu got mob psycho 100, hunter x hunter and ushio and tora to name a few

Cyrano

I think it's somewhat fallacious to assume any given medium improves exponentially due to changing standards and is always "better than it's ever been." The posts explaining the consequences of economic stagnation on the medium do a good job of outlining its current challenges and differences from the past. But I think one can just look at it and honestly see the resulting art style changes from then and now. Character expression and detail seems to have been simplified and streamlined as workflows have moved to digital. There is also a difference in color choice and palettes as paint and digital colors have different considerations to take into account. There is an appeal in the art of the old Dragon Ball and Z as compared to Super that isn't just limited to any of their model issues, but is simply a result of it not being gestured, drawn, and colored as well as in the past on average. Same with something like Pokemon, which has literally been the same exact shit since its inception.
How an anime looks is hardly all there is to anime though. The look has changed but, let's be honest, anime was never very good if we want to consider all shows that have been produced. If we're talking specific shows in the past and specific shows now, there might be an argument to be made, but on the whole stuff like Dragon Ball Z wasn't good. It was schlocky then, it's schlocky now.

The media has evolved with the impacts of digital animation, but digital animation or 3D characters are just tools. Using tools well is a matter of practice, and until practice improves (which won't happen if people never work with it as a mode of a presentation) there are going to be shows that suffer from poor animation. People should expect growing pains when a new media is introduced, especially when they're additive.

I agree with your statement about the whole, "better than its ever been" nonsense, but that's the case because anime was never very good to begin with. We idolize the few things within anime we love, and selectively forget all the junk that needed to be made to create that monolith.

Not much has changed since the 80s and 90s except how easy it is to watch anime. This is a double-edged sword: 1) it lets more people know this medium exists and 2) it lets people know how creepy the medium is. Like, we're at a point where Seven Deadly Sins can use sexual assault as a gag and not many people care.

american funded anime shows are gonna be the new wave

but yeah seriously light novel adaptations are the worst

it's crazy how you can basically get away with plagiarism in the light novel world

JulianImp

You could say the same about books, movies, music, theater plays, paintings or whatever, since the old anime shows we still remember tend to be the better ones, but for every Cowboy Bebop there were lots of crappy stuff such as Ghost Sweeper Mikami or Yamazaki Ichi Ban back then.

Nowadays, online streaming has made it so that us people living outside of Japan get to watch most seasonal shows, as opposed to being spoon-fed series that local distribution companies know will sell overseas. It's pretty likely that the majority of seasonal shows won't actually become classics, but then again the same happened with old anime. As time goes on you get a better idea of which shows were the standouts, and only then you can begin curating a list of good anime, as opposed to decent shows you're watching for any given season but are unlikely to recommend to others afterwards.

Nepenthe

How an anime looks is hardly all there is to anime though. The look has changed but, let's be honest, anime was never very good if we want to consider all shows that have been produced. If we're talking specific shows in the past and specific shows now, there might be an argument to be made, but on the whole stuff like Dragon Ball Z wasn't good. It was schlocky then, it's schlocky now.

As an animator, I'm not one to boil down the quality of an animation as a whole to just its look. But the art and animation is important to me regardless. It should look good as a baseline, and I can empathize with people who are disappointed or put-off by in the stylistic changes that anime has gone through over the years as a result of economic and workplace reforms and the move to digital. It's just honestly not as well-drawn or appealing on average.

The media has evolved with the impacts of digital animation, but digital animation or 3D characters are just tools. Using tools well is a matter of practice, and until practice improves (which won't happen if people never work with it as a mode of a presentation) there are going to be shows that suffer from poor animation. People should expect growing pains when a new media is introduced, especially when they're additive.

I am not talking about mastering the tools of the trade. I'm asserting that there is explicitly a difference in the way different mediums render the same art and workflow from the same artist, and thus an artist's traditional work and their digital work are really not the same. Photoshop, After Effects, and Toon Boom are not the same as traditional mediums even when people wrangle these programs to try and emulate traditional mediums. Color inherently works differently between its light-based form and its pigment form. Liquid bleed and flow acts differently. Even just the fact that you're drawing with a tablet pen on a screen versus on paper with a pencil changes things, and I would further wager these differences change the context of how we perceive each's craftsmanship. The classic argument with this is that Beauty and the Beast's ballroom scene is impressive because the characters are drawn versus had they been live action or CGI. All of this isn't even getting into the argument of how gesture is lost through rounds of clean-up that digital lends itself to more easily (I am a huge fan of the Xerox period of Disney for this reason even though most people seem to hate it; it's the closest we get to the Nine Old Men's intended performances and gestures versus how those performances and gestures are translated by other specialized inkers. If I could compare it to anime, it's similar to the difference between watching anime as a native speaker of Japanese and watching it subbed as an English native.) Again, I've done traditional and digital 2D animation. I've wrangled with and seen the differences even in my own work, and at this point in my life I know very well that I have a preference for the look of animation that is traditionally made versus digitally made.

I agree with your statement about the whole, "better than its ever been" nonsense, but that's the case because anime was never very good to begin with. We idolize the few things within anime we love, and selectively forget all the junk that needed to be made to create that monolith.

Boiling the issue down to "it was never good!!!" is reductive to the point of uselessness in this conversation. There have been changes in the medium regardless of its baseline quality. This isn't even in contention. Subsequently, people can form preferences between those differences and thus come to a frame of mind of whether or not the medium has gotten better or worse. You think it's always been trash. Great! I think if nothing else, the art has actually gotten worse, and a lot of my personal enjoyment suffers from that.

I see a lot of grizzled fellow classic 70's/80's fare enthusiasts for whom even the 90's started to rightly trail off---so I won't try to rehash the sage points so much as grant a knowing and exasperated nod to.

The number one thing that would probably help things out at present is just having series simply come full circle as a matter of narrative necessity even at a risk of those short term economies of scale, or at least more that "make up" for the classics of the past that were cut all too short. While it has always been the case that things happen, the procession of time and events has built up dissatisfaction and straight up eroded many a audience left to their own devices to likely never get due closure so as to take in the sum Gestalt of a work to better extol it to prospective others.

There's a lot still left on the table from the 80's, let alone the 90's, that would do well for a revisit with a genuine drive to finish the fight---the era of excess means quite a lot of stuff bubbled up to and over the top, but very few actually surged enough to break on through to the other side to truly get where they were going in a reach vs grasp context...

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
What happened is, you were shown selected great anime from the 90s, and perhaps the 2000s, but if you should know: there was still a lot of garbage anime in those years. I'll admit it, perhaps there's more garbage anime knowadays with the current animation technology. You will have to dig deeper in that pile to get to the good anime.

Go to anidb.net or some other anime database and search. You will find great quality series based on your liking.

I'm really tired of old anime fans complaining about the current state of anime when most of the time all the info they got is a quick look at CR's index and probably the usual gifs that get thrown around on the net :/
Like really, you guys are not that different from old guys who start every second sentence with "back in my day..."

Kenstar

What happened is, you were shown selected great anime from the 90s, and perhaps the 2000s, but if you should know: there was still a lot of garbage anime in those years. I'll admit it, perhaps there's more garbage anime knowadays with the current animation technology. You will have to dig deeper in that pile to get to the good anime.

Go to anidb.net or some other anime database and search. You will find great quality series based on your liking.

Recycling my old post from the Bubblegum Crisis thread:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Not surprising. Most modern anime is about maximizing production and push as many shows in the shortest time possible. Most of it looks and moves like shit. 80's and 90's anime has more detail in the cells and better animation in general.

You're comparing 1 hour long Direct to video OVA's sold individually produced during Japan's economic boom and with months inbetween an episode to standard anime.

Let's see what else aired in 1987 on tv:

Saver Rider and the Star Sheriffs
MV5BNTBjMzE0ZTktNzEwZS00MGE3LTg2NjItNTYxYjFiMGM4NDk5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTgxOTIzNzk@._V1_.jpg

Lady!!
27890.jpg

Mr. Ajikko
83940.jpg

Esper Mami
Esper_Mami_-_ep002_066.jpg

The 3 Musketeers
hqdefault.jpg

We did get City hunter in 87, which is great, but the 80's/90's weren't all 5 tone shading and expensive OVA's that were cancelled 8 eps in out of a planned 13 due to budget and internal politics reasons like Bubblegum Crisis

Cyrano

As an animator, I'm not one to boil down the quality of an animation as a whole to just its look. But the art and animation is important to me regardless. It should look good as a baseline, and I can empathize with people who are disappointed or put-off by in the stylistic changes that anime has gone through over the years as a result of economic and workplace reforms and the move to digital. It's just honestly not as well-drawn or appealing on average.
I agree, but I'd bring that back around to practice. Digital art practice with 3D animation is not at the same level of quality animation was at in the 80s and 90s, and that's because animation was already mature by that time. Digital animation will likely catch up eventually, but it's going to take time because conversion is a messy process. I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with it though, it's just different. I think the current production process is what leads to the issues you're referring to more widely though, and those can only be improved if the industry decides it wants to focus on a few shows, rather than pumping out an ever-increasing number of them. Anime is much more like a production factory lately, and that shows in the work. But that's not a result of inability, it's a result of time frames and expectations.

I am not talking about mastering the tools of the trade. I'm asserting that there is explicitly a difference in the way different mediums render the same art and workflow from the same artist, and thus an artist's traditional work and their digital work are really not the same. Photoshop, After Effects, and Toon Boom are not the same as traditional mediums even when people wrangle these programs to try and emulate traditional mediums. Color inherently works differently between its light-based form and its pigment form. Liquid bleed and flow acts differently. Even just the fact that you're drawing with a tablet pen on a screen versus on paper with a pencil changes things, and I would further wager these differences change the context of how we perceive each's craftsmanship. The classic argument with this is that Beauty and the Beast's ballroom scene is impressive because the characters are drawn versus had they been live action or CGI. All of this isn't even getting into the argument of how gesture is lost through rounds of clean-up that digital lends itself to more easily (I am a huge fan of the Xerox period of Disney for this reason even though most people seem to hate it; it's the closest we get to the Nine Old Men's intended performances and gestures versus how those performances and gestures are translated by other specialized inkers. If I could compare it to anime, it's similar to the difference between watching anime as a native speaker of Japanese and watching it subbed as an English native.) Again, I've done traditional and digital 2D animation. I've wrangled with and seen the differences even in my own work, and at this point in my life I know very well that I have a preference for the look of animation that is traditionally made versus digitally made.
You like it because of its look, but that look is unlikely to remain separate forever. There will come a time, probably within our lifetimes, where separating the two becomes difficult (if we're not there already, in some cases). I can understand liking the methods more, such as working with physical media. I have a harder time seeing what the difference is if what matters are results, which can be digitally represented, given enough time and effort, and, well, technological change. I think there are very few things that fundamentally cannot be done digitally, but they often require an evolution of technology, practice, or both. What you're presenting as important (color bleed, for example) are processes that can be represented, they just aren't represented in digital work (at least not yet).

Boiling the issue down to "it was never good!!!" is reductive to the point of uselessness in this conversation. There have been changes in the medium regardless of its baseline quality. This isn't even in contention. Subsequently, people can form preferences between those differences and thus come to a frame of mind of whether or not the medium has gotten better or worse. You think it's always been trash. Great! I think if nothing else, the art has actually gotten worse, and a lot of my personal enjoyment suffers from that.
I can appreciate and agree that the art has gotten worse. But that doesn't really impact my enjoyment all that much, as the story is typically my baseline for quality (unless it's an action show, though I've never watched a lot of action shows). Most of the stories are bad, given many of them are taking from source material that's bad, and aren't improved upon by the significant changes animation affords. Also, anything we say about anime as a whole is going to be reductive without a deeper analysis, and the format of a message board isn't really conducive to that longer-form discussion.

phaze

Recycling my old post from the Bubblegum Crisis thread:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You're comparing 1 hour long Direct to video OVA's sold individually produced during Japan's economic boom and with months inbetween an episode to standard anime.

Let's see what else aired in 1987 on tv:

Preach.

In the last 6 years we've gotten Hyouka, Nichijou, F/Z, Yamato, OPM, Mob, Space Dandy, UBW, YLiA, Eupho, Yozakura and many others I'm forgetting. My knowledge of 90's is admittedly slim but from cursory look, there's really no comparison as far as production side of the TV output goes.

jett

D-Member
There's some good stuff out there OP, not much, and it's all shonen lol. I recommend One Punch Man at least.

Is there anything like Planetes or Death Note these days? In terms of being interesting, well-written, and well-made and not filled waifu/loli shit.

jackal27

Banned
"It's moe/high school shit."

"Why is shonen still a thing?"

????????

Also, there is tons of excellent stuff out. You have to know where to look. And stop writing off shonen. Anime has always been primarily targeted at teens, even your favorite shows and movies.

LotusHD

Banned
There's some good stuff out there OP, not much, and it's all shonen lol. I recommend One Punch Man at least.

Is there anything like Planetes or Death Note these days? In terms of being interesting, well-written, and well-made and not filled waifu/loli shit.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Ping Pong: The Animation
91 Days
Shinsekai Yori
Mob Psycho 100
Parasyte
Shiki

jackal27

Banned
Go watch Jojo OP.

Oh and Mob Psycho. And Parasyte. And newer Gundam stuff if you can. I'm partial to the Origins OVAs and Thunderbolt these days.

Top Bottom