• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what happened to anime?

CGwizz

I agree, i am watching berserk on crunchyroll and its mind blowing how shit it looks, how shit it shounds , berserk from the past was fucking great.

Anime is garbage now, there was a lot of garbage before too but nowadays its 99 % garbage. Weirdos ruined anime, now they just shove waifu shit tier anime with lollies and underaged girls showing too much.

fireflame

I enjoyed shows of the 80's more, like Hokuto no Ken or Saint Seya. There is a way fights were realized in the 80's that does not exist anymore. There are plentyo f things that changed.

Dragon Ball z was more violent than Dragon Ball Super.

z1ggy

There's too much Moe

Also OP i watch anime since i was a kid in the 80s and from new stuff i can tell you some good new stuff:

Knights of Sydonia
Attack on Titan
Parasyte
Monster
Blame! new anime is the shit, look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwy806RC2-Q

But what i do miss more hand drawn imperfection from old scholl anime.

Mythos

Really? I think they have got better with years.

HunterxHunter had best moments in anime history imho (still can't get over how good it was!). Attack on Titans is awesome, then there is

One Punch man
Haikyuu
Shokugeki No Soma
Boku no Hero Academia
Mob Psycho 100

And that's only few of current ones.

There are so many other really good ones

Stein's Gate
Death Note
Durara
Full Metal Alchemist
Tokyo Ghoul
No Game No Life

Don't get what there is to complain :/

Lucumo

Yeah no.

SEED Destiny, Age, and Reco G are shit tier, but beyond that, Gundam as a franchise ranges from excellent to solid.

The earlier ones mostly aren't good at all (and I don't care about the animation). I especially have a beef with 0080. The characters really drag it down, they are often worse than slice-of-life characters and that's something.

I want whatever you've been smoking. What real robot are you watching that's better/more consistent than Gundam?
I never said more consistent, as their aren't many series that you can really compare. I'm talking about series in comparison to those which I called terrible.

269.png

The animation in Berserk is top notch and should totally satisfy your anime needs. Not even the finest Sega Saturn or Playstation can surpass it in quality fluid animation.

Mulgrok

There's too much Moe

Also OP i watch anime since i was a kid in the 80s and from new stuff i can tell you some good new stuff:

Knights of Sydonia
Attack on Titan
Parasyte
Monster
Blame! new anime is the shit, look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwy806RC2-Q

But what i do miss more hand drawn imperfection from old scholl anime.

knights of sidonia takes a huge tonal and quality dive in the second season. Maybe I just don't get the sexual humor in that and parasyte. First season of Sidonia is good, but could not get through the first few episodes of Parasyte.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
knights of sidonia takes a huge tonal and quality dive in the second season. Maybe I just don't get the sexual humor in that and parasyte. First season of Sidonia is good, but could not get through the first few episodes of Parasyte.

There isn't much "sexual humor" in parasite, like there are a couple of jokes but that's about it and its incredibly light compared to other anime out there.

MechaX

The earlier ones mostly aren't good at all (and I don't care about the animation). I especially have a beef with 0080. The characters really drag it down, they are often worse than slice-of-life characters and that's something.

I was mostly fucking around, but after a rewatch of 0080, I can honestly see where you're coming from. The show has a payoff, but man, you do have to be willing to put up with a lot of the main character's antics to get there.

0079 has always been super rough in my eyes but the movie trilogy (well, movies 1 and 3) have damn good pacing. I rewatched Zeta last year and still liked it, and ZZ surprisingly ended pretty strong despite it's first 18 or so episodes. I have different opinions on CCA depending on my mood, and F91 comes across as a "you should have been there" retelling for events that should sound pretty exciting, but didn't come together. And I'm in the middle of rewatching Victory after 10 years with a friend and it is... bizarre, but still solid.

But besides that, we still have some strong contenders like G Gundam, Turn A, Build Fighters S1, Gundam X, maybe Iron-Blooded Orphans, 0083, 08th MS Team, and right now Thunderbolt. And that's not counting the YMMV kind of series like Wing, SEED, Unicorn, and Build Fighters Try.

Lucumo

I was mostly fucking around, but after a rewatch of 0080, I can honestly see where you're coming from. The show has a payoff, but man, you do have to be willing to put up with a lot of the main character's antics to get there.

0079 has always been super rough in my eyes but the movie trilogy (well, movies 1 and 3) have damn good pacing. I rewatched Zeta last year and still liked it, and ZZ surprisingly ended pretty strong despite it's first 18 or so episodes. I have different opinions on CCA depending on my mood, and F91 comes across as a "you should have been there" retelling for events that should sound pretty exciting, but didn't come together. And I'm in the middle of rewatching Victory after 10 years with a friend and it is... bizarre, but still solid.

But besides that, we still have some strong contenders like G Gundam, Turn A, Build Fighters S1, Gundam X, maybe Iron-Blooded Orphans, 0083, 08th MS Team, and right now Thunderbolt. And that's not counting the YMMV kind of series like Wing, SEED, Unicorn, and Build Fighters Try.
Liked the movies less than the series...but that's also because I generally dislike a condensed story. 0083: Stardust Memories has really annoying main characters (Anavel was ok, I think), 0083: The Fading Light of Zeon is the same but a bit worse. 08th MS Team I thought I would like initially but it had annoying fanservice and other stuff which pushed the rating down. Zeta was better than the original, still had shitty characters though. ZZ had more terrible characters. CCA was between Zeta and the original I think. Unicorn (OVA) was a bit better than Zeta (haven't watched the full series). F91 is as you have stated. Victory is simply awful, even worse than the IGLOO stuff and 0080. Haven't seen Reconguista but wow, that rating is terrible (2.48/10).
Non UC: G had a lot of issues but was on the other hand also mindless fun. Wing I liked, a lot...mostly because of the political stuff, the Gundams and the non-shitty characters (most are bland but hey, I take that over what is usually offered any time of the day). It also has the best opening of any Gundam show that I've seen so far. X has the same rating as Victory (on my list). Don't really remember why but I think the beginning was ok but it gradually became worse. Turn A Gundam...still haven't watched that, unfortunately. Seed started terrible, I even dropped that pile of garbage. It got better though. It was on Zeta level (which isn't that high), I think. Destiny was pretty bad in the beginning as well (screw you, Shinn). Kira and Athrun really lifted the series then though (they should have also killed off Shinn - why was he wearing a winter cap when it's not winter, moron). 00 I liked, not as much as Wing but more than Unicorn, IIRC. Beyond that, anything released after Unicorn I haven't seen (yet).

When has anime in general not been insufferable garbage?

You've got Bebop, FMA, JoJo's, HxH, Berserk, One Piece and like maybe 5 to 10 other series that are worthwhile. That's it.

_Nemo

I agree, i am watching berserk on crunchyroll and its mind blowing how shit it looks, how shit it shounds , berserk from the past was fucking great.

Anime is garbage now, there was a lot of garbage before too but nowadays its 99 % garbage. Weirdos ruined anime, now they just shove waifu shit tier anime with lollies and underaged girls showing too much.

In the future Hentai and Anime will basically mix into 1 category lol.

Shonen is far from being the industry's biggest problem (and I say this as someone who generally doesn't enjoy shonen). Light novel adaptations are what's killing anime.
Freaking hell this. I can wade through the garbage LN adaptations to find something that catches my fancy (sometimes even that ends up being a LN itself) but there's a lot of same stuff like that coming out now because they're cheap and have a built-in audience. It's many times worse than the inundation of more, imo.

DNAbro

There was a butt battling sports anime and the world was never the same. Anime reached it's peak and logical conclusion.

Kenstar

You've got Bebop, FMA, JoJo's, HxH, Berserk, One Piece and like maybe 5 to 10 other series that are worthwhile. That's it.

Only 5 to 10 others?
You're already half way there, go ahead and name every single worthwhile anime ever for us

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I'm not sure if the quality of anime has gone down, but it's definitely difficult to find anime that are worth watching. A large portion of anime fans will recommend you shows just because it has a girl they like to masturbate to. Even more will recommend garbage shonen shows with shitty writing and repetetive plot points. Even when you find the anime that are somewhat original and don't rely on cliches, half of those just end up being boring.

KazenY2J

These type of posts are why these threads are trash, tbh.

Imagine if most movies today were divergent-tier trash. That's what's happening with anime, too many trash light novel adaptations are doing well. They don't even need good writing/directing/animation/pacing/characters to succeed, just have a catchy premise and the otakus will eat all of it. Especially when it's a blatant glorification of escapism with stuff like being stuck in another world or time resets or a neet hikkikomori protagonist alongside some corny waifus or whatever. Even standouts shows that were actually good like Erased or Re:Zero had that, which can be very off-putting for unfamiliar people.

Also most modern hidden gems are either short or some kind of slice of life show. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's a far cry from the 90s or 00s that had a huge variety of notable shows in every genre. Other than that if you look at shonen or popular manga adaptations you got Berserk which is freaking disastrous. Jojo is great, HxH is good but definitely not as good as the older version, One Piece is ongoing. Other shonen just feel too uninspired, you got like three superhero shows, the mediocre AOT and DBS which makes GT look great. They don't have the novel settings or genre past shows did. Basically even if you just look at shonen, you still notice the lack of representation in certain genres. When was the last great adventure show? Thriller? Sci-fi? Basically everything covering those genres end up being some light novel isekai trash. When good representation from those genres are like 5+ years old you know there's a problem, especially compared to not so long ago, during the 00s when you had some genre defining show every season

Lucumo

One Piece (anime) hasn't been good for a long time. There are tons of other good series though.
In the future Hentai and Anime will basically mix into 1 category lol.
The borderline hentai stuff has been airing for years by now though? So they basically already mixed.
average neogaf anime thread
Whoever wrote this hasn't heard of Haruhi Suzumiya. I guess it's a double mock-piece, first the plain stuff and then getting all the details wrong.

mortal

Gold Member
Japanese animation went through a genuine golden age from the 80's through 90's, in addition to some gems produced in the early 2000's.

The medium and culture as a whole were elevated like never before, during which lots of incredible artists, writers, directors that are now well regarded cut their teeth. Creative motivations were fundamentally different during those times.
The actual craft of animating was being pushed in many creative ways. It seems with most modern anime, the actual animating technique takes a back seat in favor of producing cheaper marketable anime with mascots to push merchandise.

There is still a hand full of solid anime being produced today, but it's incomparable to the mostly consistent high pedigree output the medium was seeing during that period. If you want real deal solid anime, you need to dig.

Edit: Also, I cannot stand this waifu shit. It reeks of manufactured marketing.

I know, right?

Just look at all this disgusting lolly action.

Kickz

im goin through crunchyroll rn and this is just not catching me anymore. i tried to watch some of this shit but either its some school drama melodramtic type bullshit or its over the top to the point the shit is not even enjoyable.

what happened to that weird action type anime from the 90s man real shit

also why is shonen still a thing :S

EDIT: same goes for manga as well cant catch anything that really sparked me the way it did in the past

Check out Space Brothers or HunterxHunter 2011 for the good stuff

Forkball

Another big issue is that when people first get into anime, they binge on the good stuff. Not counting Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Pokemon, I first really got into anime in 2001. At that time I was watching Evangelion, Princess Mononoke, Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Gundam, etc. This stuff was genuinely mindblowing and completely different from everything I had seen before. But overtime, once you see all the classics, the drivel really stands out. Not to mention so many modern anime fans have terrible recommendations. "Dude, watch Kill la Kill! It's SUPPOSED to be bad!"

LotusHD

Banned
Another big issue is that when people first get into anime, they binge on the good stuff. Not counting Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Pokemon, I first really got into anime in 2001. At that time I was watching Evangelion, Princess Mononoke, Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Gundam, etc. This stuff was genuinely mindblowing and completely different from everything I had seen before. But overtime, once you see all the classics, the drivel really stands out. Not to mention so many modern anime fans have terrible recommendations. "Dude, watch Kill la Kill! It's SUPPOSED to be bad!"

I've never seen anyone recommend KLK that said that lol

I like the technical aspects at least, all 1080p and very clean.

That said, slice of life themes are still my favorite despite growing up an action oriented shows like DBZ.

RedSwirl

To the OP, money is what happened.

There's not as much money in anime today because of the economy. The more mainstream stuff has suffered because of it, and anime studios have been banking on the hardcore otaku market as a safe niche.

These days I just track down old stuff I never got to see. Z Gundam is on YouTube right now straight from Sunrise. Almost all new stuff I enjoy is manga.

If you want an answer as to what happened to all of those crazy action OVAs aimed at adults that helped define the 90s, the answer is that the Japanese economy crashed and has been in the toilet for well over a decade. Those OVAs were somethibg of a bubble that formed when the Japanese economy was on top of the world in the 90s. Investors were speculating in the market, and just about anything could get the financing to be turned into a high-budget OVA. When the economy tanked, that bubble popped.

Japan has been suffering a mix of recessions and a near-permanent deflationary economy for years and years now. Currently, anime productions have shoe-string budgets built off the efforts of over-worked and underpaid animators. Most of the anime produced today are essentially ad campaigns paid for by book publishers to help market manga and light novels. Manga and Light Novels are a much bigger and healthier industry in Japan than anime. Anime-original productions live or die based on the sales of a few thousand overpriced DVDs/BluRays plus merchandising. As such, the only market that matters is the hard-core, which distorts how audiences are targeted.

EDIT: To reiterate the whole "anime are advertisements" concept, we are also witnessing the rise of anime adaptations of mobile gacha games.

The time leading up to the mid-90s was a bubble economy.

Ah hell, I'm sure you know this already but:

GDP per capita
XW49Xw0.png

aXNNmEW.jpg

Yp3RTuF.jpg

I usually copy and paste this when these threads pop up. This makes sense to me.

The great shift in japanes pop culture
http://neojaponisme.com/2011/11/28/t...ture-part-one/

I haven't read most of it but part 5 "The Difficulty of Exporting Marginal Subcultures" might have some answers.
http://neojaponisme.com/2011/12/02/t...ure-part-five/

"In most countries with growing economies, educated upper-middle class consumers still spearhead the consumer market. They have the most disposable income and the most interest in cultural exchange. And those consumers, whether it's Taiwan or the U.K., are the ones most likely to be willing to follow and purchase foreign cultural items.

Currently, however, the most conspicuous Japanese culture of otaku and yankii represents value sets with little connection to affluent consumers elsewhere. Most men around the world are not wracked by such deep status insecurity that they want to live in a world where chesty two-dimensional 12 year-old girls grovel at their feet and call them big brother. The average university student in Paris is likely to read Murakami Haruki and may listen to a Japanese DJ but not wear silky long cocktail dresses or fake eyelashes from a brand created by a 23 year-old former divorcee hostess with two kids. Overseas consumers remain affluent, educated, and open to Japanese culture, but Japan's pop culture complex — by increasingly catering to marginal groups (or ignoring global tastes, which is another problem altogether) — is less likely to create products relevant for them."

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The Alt right should just get into producing and creating anime and save the industry.

arigato

This is even sadder to realize once you've witnessed what highs (Earth Maiden Arjuna, Death Note) the medium is capable of reaching.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Grew up with Dragon Ball Z and find both Attack on Titan and Tokyo Ghoul to be more interesting and well paced.

xEFXfIn.png

Rose tinted glasses can be quite thick.

To the OP, money is what happened.

There's not as much money in anime today because of the economy. The more mainstream stuff has suffered because of it, and anime studios have been banking on the hardcore otaku market as a safe niche.

If you're going to talk about money, it's probably worth reading a relatively recent look at the financial state of the anime industry, particularly as it relates to the trends of increasing focus on movies and increasing international revenue.

Top Bottom