• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what happened to anime?

There's some good stuff out there OP, not much, and it's all shonen lol. I recommend One Punch Man at least.

Is there anything like Planetes or Death Note these days? In terms of being interesting, well-written, and well-made and not filled waifu/loli shit.

You realize Death Note is also Shonen lol. The manga even ran in Weekly Shonen Jump

This is why I find it hilarious when people complain about shonen

Ray Down

Banned
Man I had no idea if that Trigun post is serious or not, but if it is use a better gif at least lol
Still better than their anime cutscenes imo

Seriously, I don't see the appeal in the anime cutscenes when:
1. Not greatly animated or impressive (Like on that I enjoyed)

2. Left no impact/had no significant purpose.

All of them could be done in cg.

jackal27

Banned
When has anime in general not been insufferable garbage?

You've got Bebop, FMA, JoJo's, HxH, Berserk, One Piece and like maybe 5 to 10 other series that are worthwhile. That's it.
This is the most hilarious shit because these are the most anime anime in history. All great, but I can think of dozens just as great.

ZoddGutts

Everything has become either Moe shit or Iseki shit (fantasy escapism world), all of which targets Otaku's. I bailed years ago, only making rare exceptions like with Lupin in 2014 and some other stuff. Looking forward to that Devilman anime on Netflix next year.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I steadily got pushed out of watching anime regularly around 2008-ish. I was watching several series weekly every anime season, but then I just noticed less and less I actually cared to even try as the seasons went on. Still some great stuff out there, but it's easier to just let it come to me now instead of swimming through an ocean of high school harem shows.

Trace

Banned
Everything has become either Moe shit or Iseki shit (fantasy escapism world), all of which targets Otaku's. I bailed years ago, only making rare exceptions like with Lupin in 2014 and some other stuff. Looking forward to that Devilman anime on Netflix next year.

You should try Gundam Iron Blood Orphans. Great show and doesn't have crazy amounts of fanservice or anything.

Cyrano

I steadily got pushed out of watching anime regularly around 2008-ish. I was watching several series weekly every anime season, but then I just noticed less and less I actually cared to even try as the seasons went on. Still some great stuff out there, but it's easier to just let it come to me now instead of swimming through an ocean of high school harem shows.
Movies, rather than series, seem to be where anime is moving lately.
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/01/02/anime-financials-2016/
I think that, at the very least, there is a movement towards more diverse stories in anime movies lately.

As an animator, I'm not one to boil down the quality of an animation as a whole to just its look. But the art and animation is important to me regardless. It should look good as a baseline, and I can empathize with people who are disappointed or put-off by in the stylistic changes that anime has gone through over the years as a result of economic and workplace reforms and the move to digital. It's just honestly not as well-drawn or appealing on average.

I am not talking about mastering the tools of the trade. I'm asserting that there is explicitly a difference in the way different mediums render the same art and workflow from the same artist, and thus an artist's traditional work and their digital work are really not the same. Photoshop, After Effects, and Toon Boom are not the same as traditional mediums even when people wrangle these programs to try and emulate traditional mediums. Color inherently works differently between its light-based form and its pigment form. Liquid bleed and flow acts differently. Even just the fact that you're drawing with a tablet pen on a screen versus on paper with a pencil changes things, and I would further wager these differences change the context of how we perceive each's craftsmanship. The classic argument with this is that Beauty and the Beast's ballroom scene is impressive because the characters are drawn versus had they been live action or CGI. All of this isn't even getting into the argument of how gesture is lost through rounds of clean-up that digital lends itself to more easily (I am a huge fan of the Xerox period of Disney for this reason even though most people seem to hate it; it's the closest we get to the Nine Old Men's intended performances and gestures versus how those performances and gestures are translated by other specialized inkers. If I could compare it to anime, it's similar to the difference between watching anime as a native speaker of Japanese and watching it subbed as an English native.) Again, I've done traditional and digital 2D animation. I've wrangled with and seen the differences even in my own work, and at this point in my life I know very well that I have a preference for the look of animation that is traditionally made versus digitally made.

Boiling the issue down to "it was never good!!!" is reductive to the point of uselessness in this conversation. There have been changes in the medium regardless of its baseline quality. This isn't even in contention. Subsequently, people can form preferences between those differences and thus come to a frame of mind of whether or not the medium has gotten better or worse. You think it's always been trash. Great! I think if nothing else, the art has actually gotten worse, and a lot of my personal enjoyment suffers from that.

There is no doubt that the methods of making anime have changed, in addition to trends in artistic styles and the like. Anyone who says "anime hasn't changed" is wrong. I can't begrudge anyone for preferring the look of cel over digital animation; because the distinctive elements of the former cannot be perfectly replicated by the latter.

I can't say that the art and animation have gotten worse though. That was somewhat true during the early 2000s at the beginning of the transition into digital production, as there was quite a bit of clumsiness overall when adjusting to the new technology. It's not true now though. Of course there will always be low-quality productions when people with lesser talent or motivation are involved, and the tight schedules of the industry can lead to polishing problems in TV anime. But there is a considerable number of great looking anime being made right now, with strong animation, art direction, and digital composition. The top tier of production at the moment take full advantage of digital techniques to make great-looking animation that couldn't be replicated by cel work. I'll just reference a few of my favorite examples:

M4hB4Z5.jpg

Eccentric Family Season 2

RqSKB0X.jpg

Bungo Stray Dogs

bsDhfMR.jpg

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Season 2

tX8jEUf.jpg

Mob Psycho 100

BYIr0tP.jpg

Fafner Exodus

I could go on, but you get the picture. All of these images are good examples of how digital tools are being harnessed by today's animators and artists to create beautiful and emotionally powerful images, and they come from shows which are overall excellent in that department. Sakuga Blog is a good resource for what's going on in the present world of Japanese animation production, if you're interested in reading more.

Again, I'm not going to begrudge anyone their aesthetic preferences for one period of art over another - that's totally fair - but it's not fair to the skills and output of the best people working in today's anime industry to consider all of their work to be poorly made.

Izayoi

Banned
Sakuga Blog is really great for anyone who wants to observe and appreciate shows with stellar animation.

They exist, you just have to look for them.

RRockman

Banned
If you didn't, please watch Monster right now. There's a lot of depth there and not all shonen are bad!!!

Boku No Hero is fantastic.

It's really hard to find a show these days that has good characters, good art, good animation, good music and a good story while not being riddled with japanese tropes or otherwise uniquely annoying east-centric decisions. I miss the watching shows that were instantly rewatchable.

Mulgrok

people forget that 90% of media will always be shit. Today, there are more shows being produced than ever. 9 shit shows are being made for every good 1... Just think about it.

RedSwirl

I'll admit I generally don't like the character design style of most of today's shounen anime, and that's aside from moe/loli, but styles change.

TTG

I often have one of these threads open in a tab somewhere and it's been fruitless. I try a couple of shows that are mentioned and... nope. Ping Pong is the exception, that was worthwhile.

To all of you saying we grew up, anime hasn't changed: I'll grant you that I haven't seen Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, and FLCL in a long time, but I expect they hold up. There's plenty to cringe at, I did back then as well, it's not like I was 12 when I watched those shows, but I wouldn't dismiss them for it.

At this point, if someone with taste(ok similar taste) has a well curated list of recommendations, I'll give it a try. But let's not conflate the greats with Battleship Miyamoto or whatever you kids like, I'm not about that.

LotusHD

Banned
Watch shirobako goddammit

Heh, everyone that's seen a good amount of anime in their lifetime should watch this. Great show that makes you further appreciate how hard it can be to make a decent anime, much less a quality one. It's a bit romanticized, but still a good watch.

I often have one of these threads open in a tab somewhere and it's been fruitless. I try a couple of shows that are mentioned and... nope. Ping Pong is the exception, that was worthwhile.

To all of you saying we grew up, anime hasn't changed: I'll grant you that I haven't seen Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, and FLCL in a long time, but I expect they hold up. There's plenty to cringe at, I did back then as well, it's not like I was 12 when I watched those shows, but I wouldn't dismiss them for it.

At this point, if someone with taste(ok similar taste) has a well curated list of recommendations, I'll give it a try. But let's not conflate the greats with Battleship Miyamoto or whatever you kids like, I'm not about that.

Well, what are you looking for? Shows like the 3 you listed?

andymcc

Banned

"Yamato" (lmao) was one of the greats. Always has been. It was a template for many great anime as it's source material is from the 70s. You're just showing your ass.

nkarafo

Anime became mainstream. That's what happened.

I used to love it when it was a niche. Back in the 80's/90's you also had better production values, better animation and more detailed cells, more movies, more OVAs, less CGI etc. Also, cyberpunk. And gore that looked good.

Truth is nothing will ever be as good as you're hoping they are. You think Ping Pong is as good as the great animes of old? It's not, it's much better. If that's the kind of quality you're expecting, you're gonna spend your life searching for it, be it in books, shows, games, whatever.

Snakeyes

Hunter x Hunter is a thing, so nothing. Jojo's good still and we got some high quality newer series like My Hero Academia and (soon) The Promised Neverland.

Sölf

I've got exactly what you're looking for, OP.

81bc8bda2e589889a7764bccc3de98ea1429152945_full.jpg

You're welcome.

This. So much. I do have to say the manga is better, mainly because it's totally serious, yet the dialogue is still stupid as fuck. It's great.

And I mean that. I loved Ninja Slayer.

It's hard to expect that each season will have masterpieces equal to timeless classics like Cowboy Bebop or GITS. How many movies released in 2016 that could compare to Blade Runner, original Alien trilogy etc. favorably ?

That is perhaps the worst "example" you could have chosen, unless this is high-level sarcasm.

TTG

Well, what are you looking for? Shows like the 3 you listed?

Those 3 are exemplary, sure.

"Yamato" (lmao) was one of the greats. Always has been. It was a template for many great anime as it's source material is from the 70s. You're just showing your ass.

I'm sorry, I meant the new(relatively new) one. It's in space and it sucks.

Truth is nothing will ever be as good as you're hoping they are. You think Ping Pong is as good as the great animes of old? It's not, it's much better. If that's the kind of quality you're expecting, you're gonna spend your life searching for it, be it in books, shows, games, whatever.

It's different. The Ghost in the Shell series(2 seasons I think?) isn't trying to do character development the same way. Now, where does Ping Pong stack up against books and shows that are similar thematically? It's worthwhile, I meant that as a compliment.

It's hard to expect that each season will have masterpieces equal to timeless classics like Cowboy Bebop or GITS. How many movies released in 2016 that could compare to Blade Runner, original Alien trilogy etc. favorably ?

I don't mean a small subset like one season or a year. Again, I don't have a comprehensive picture of the industry over the last 10 years or whatever, but it has been my experience to try a handful of shows every couple of years and if they're not outright bad, they don't hold my attention.

Lucumo

Depends on what you like.

Battleship Miyamoto=Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199? That show seems to have good ratings (and I'm not talking about MAL, haven't seen it myself though), so it's probably not that bad.

TTG

Depends on what you like.

Battleship Miyamoto=Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199? That show seems to have good ratings (and I'm not talking about MAL, haven't seen it myself though), so it's probably not that bad.

It had the year 2199, so yes? Again, if that's a reboot of an older show, I don't mean the original. I don't mean to pounce on Yamato 2199 especially either, it was just the title that came to mind.

I think Attack on Titan could be fun, but the melodrama was rough.

Nepenthe

I agree, but I'd bring that back around to practice. Digital art practice with 3D animation is not at the same level of quality animation was at in the 80s and 90s, and that's because animation was already mature by that time. Digital animation will likely catch up eventually, but it's going to take time because conversion is a messy process. I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with it though, it's just different. I think the current production process is what leads to the issues you're referring to more widely though, and those can only be improved if the industry decides it wants to focus on a few shows, rather than pumping out an ever-increasing number of them. Anime is much more like a production factory lately, and that shows in the work. But that's not a result of inability, it's a result of time frames and expectations.

The adoption of puppetry and replacement techniques in digital environments combined with the fact that anime still relies on low frame rates (which means less drawings) doesn't point to practice being an issue. It's that the economic and social issues surrounding the industry itself are not conducive to producing good and/or appealing art on the regular, and on top of that what counts as the generic "default" anime style has shifted regardless. The look of most modern anime- that shiny, inoffensive, less expressive, light novel style- just fucking annoys me, and it would annoy me even if we still animated on paper.

You like it because of its look, but that look is unlikely to remain separate forever. There will come a time, probably within our lifetimes, where separating the two becomes difficult (if we're not there already, in some cases). I can understand liking the methods more, such as working with physical media. I have a harder time seeing what the difference is if what matters are results, which can be digitally represented, given enough time and effort, and, well, technological change. I think there are very few things that fundamentally cannot be done digitally, but they often require an evolution of technology, practice, or both. What you're presenting as important (color bleed, for example) are processes that can be represented, they just aren't represented in digital work (at least not yet).

It is not economically feasible for the animation industry in any country to create tools and workflows that do nothing but try to perfectly recreate the look of paper animation to the point where both would be indecipherable when it would be cheaper in the face of such a ridiculous goal to just move back to a paper pipeline. The industry has merely moved on to an environment that plays to digital's strengths in the way western theatrical animation has moved on to 3D. I would also wager that the look I desire would be impossible to capture exactly anyways because- again- the very fact that is the drawing tools are different is simply insurmountable. Drawing on a screen will literally never physically feel the same as drawing on a sheet of paper, even if the computer underneath is doing its very best to render your lines in such a way that it's not so mathematically perfect. Don't assume that computers can do everything.

I can appreciate and agree that the art has gotten worse. But that doesn't really impact my enjoyment all that much, as the story is typically my baseline for quality (unless it's an action show, though I've never watched a lot of action shows). Most of the stories are bad, given many of them are taking from source material that's bad, and aren't improved upon by the significant changes animation affords. Also, anything we say about anime as a whole is going to be reductive without a deeper analysis, and the format of a message board isn't really conducive to that longer-form discussion.

You're being dismissive. I'm not asking for a thesis. I'm saying the conclusion that "Anime is and always has been shit" doesn't produce even a modicum of interesting discussion when people are discussing the changes between old and new anime of which the baseline quality of the medium as a whole doesn't have as much relevance to that discussion as you're putting on. Seriously, if you believe that's the case what's the point in even talking to me?

honestly surprised this thread is alive

didn't think it was that serious

trying to watch jojo again and im liking it a little bit more then last time i tried to watch it but ehhh idk.

trying some of these other recommendations too :3

.JayZii

Banned
Of course we all want every anime to be made by Yoshiaki Kawajiri, but the world wasn't ready for that.

Have you watched Redline or Lupin III: Jigen's Gravestone?

IronRaven

The industry changed and with it, so did the fans. There's still a lot of good modern anime out there if you're willing to look.

Cyrano

The adoption of puppetry and replacement techniques in digital environments combined with the fact that anime still relies on low frame rates (which means less drawings) doesn't point to practice being an issue. It's that the economic and social issues surrounding the industry itself are not conducive to producing good and/or appealing art on the regular, and on top of that what counts as the generic "default" anime style has shifted regardless. The look of most modern anime- that shiny, inoffensive, less expressive, light novel style- just fucking annoys me, and it would annoy me even if we still animated on paper.
I can't necessarily speak directly to practice, as I'm not an animator. But, for purposes of reflection, were the social and economic issues conducive in the past? It seems like this is a classically overworked and underpaid area of production, and from my perspective the art doesn't seem better or worse nearly so much as it's different. I agree with you in that I think the difference has created a very plastic-looking style that's far too common, but that too is a reflection on the cultural values of modern society. The amount of anime, the production-line construction of it is a reflection on that society, and in truth I don't think that has ever really disappeared. Digital, I think, just points out the inherent issues of anime as an industry that can't move as fast as demand. The production of anime is far more a reflection of society at this point than the product. I don't think that, historically, this is all that different or unexpected. It's a history, not repeating itself, but rhyming.

It is not economically feasible for the animation industry in any country to create tools and workflows that do nothing but try to perfectly recreate the look of paper animation to the point where both would be indecipherable when it would be cheaper in the face of such a ridiculous goal to just move back to a paper pipeline. The industry has merely moved on to an environment that plays to digital's strengths in the way western theatrical animation has moved on to 3D. I would also wager that the look I desire would be impossible to capture exactly anyways because- again- the very fact that is the drawing tools are different is simply insurmountable. Drawing on a screen will literally never physically feel the same as drawing on a sheet of paper, even if the computer underneath is doing its very best to render your lines in such a way that it's not so mathematically perfect. Don't assume that computers can do everything.
20 or 30 years ago it wasn't economically feasible to make digital animation. As for the animation industry attempting to make it look that way, no, I don't think it will be them, I think it will be the art industry more generally that demands those functionalities in the future. And a pen that feels like a pencil, and digital paper that feels like regular paper. Saying it's not possible seems like a denial of how much has changed in a few short decades. I'm also not assuming that computers can do everything, but I am saying that computers can create situations where one has to make decisions about their preference rather than their expectations. Right now we expect that drawing on a computer won't be the same experience as drawing with physical materials. But that may not always be the case.

You're being dismissive. I'm not asking for a thesis. I'm saying the conclusion that "Anime is and always has been shit" doesn't produce even a modicum of interesting discussion when people are discussing the changes between old and new anime of which the baseline quality of the medium as a whole doesn't have as much relevance to that discussion as you're putting on. Seriously, if you believe that's the case what's the point in even talking to me?
I don't think I'm being dismissive. Sturgeon's law applies here, and I don't think that should be discounted. At the same time, if we're only talking about the upper echelons of quality in anime, rather than the wider field, the discussion changes quite a bit (or if we're just talking about the stuff in the middle, or the lows and the highs, etc.). We haven't really set the stage for a discussion of the field. What I'm curious about has a lot more to do with the net being cast and what's going to be caught up in that. The lowest end of hand drawn animation is going to look just as bad as digital animation, it will just be bad in a different way. So if we're comparing the old and the new, what are the parameters? Are we talking about certain years? Decades? What shows in those years/decades are indicative of the problem you see? Why? And these are just some of the questions we would need to discuss in order to get to an understanding of what the baseline is. It's difficult to say we have a wider view without first coming to an understanding of what we're looking at. But that's what I want to know and why I'm having the conversation. What we're looking at. What's indicative of the problems we see in anime.

petran79

Banned
Watched the 1985 movie A Penguin's Memory. Same years as Galactic Railroad.

I cant believe such a movie wasnt made by an American animation studio but by Japanese instead. Probably never will. Dealing with the traumatic experience of the Vietnam War and adapting back to society, I didnt expect that a non-American adaptation would be so masterfully done.
No pseudo-intellectual mumbo jumbo either, just the poetry of Randall James.

Fortunatelly it is impossible to watch all old series and movies, so I could watch forever.

antibolo

Banned
Anime is 95% shit just like any other medium.

It's more obvious now because we have relatively easy access to all of it, not just a filtered dripfeed.

Also the anime industry is currently heading into a crash.

Top Bottom