• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What has been your best Limited/Collector's Edition purchase to date?

Kadin

Wondering what you all think would be the best value of stuff included with any limited or collector's edition game so far. Whether it's a ton of different stuff or maybe one specific item that really added to your collection, which edition really brought you a great value even though the cost may have been rather high?

I personally don't buy too many because they just sit in my closet with everything still within their boxes, but the one CE that I was very happy to buy due to the included Malgus statue was from SWTOR. I have this on my desk and I really love how it looks.

VCoXY.jpg
SWTOR_CE_small.jpg

KevinG

Love Chief's helmet that came with the ultimate version of Halo 3.

Big Daddy and Songbird statues from the Bioshock collector editions.

That and the Majora's Mask n3DS XL and the LE of the game.

The BOTW Master Edition (barring any cancellation from Amazon) will be on this list as well.

- J - D -

The Mirror's Edge limited edition (or was it a preorder thing, can't remember) came with a messenger bag that I actually used for a while. It's not incredibly high quality, but I got compliments a few times. No flimsy LE 8" statue ever accomplished that.

1upsuper

I quite liked the first Bravely Default US CE. The Dark Souls 2 PC CE was a great value for the fifteen bucks I paid for it. Ni no Kuni DS is another personal favorite. The giant DS box is dope and the hardcover book is very nice.

Pretty fond of the Famitsu DX Crystal blah blah blah one for the Japanese version of Persona 5. The NieR: Automata Black Box I have coming in the mail seems pretty cool too.

Flandy

The Last of Us
8405446329_0d7a0a3984_c.jpg

I don't purchase a lot of Special Editions but this was only $80 and it was well worth it for how little it was marked up. Artbook is great

Does Metroid Prime: Trilogy count? I like the packaging and art, and I don't care for cheap toys that are usually in collector's editions.

legbone

Grand Theft Auto IV, hands down. I still use the duffel bag and lockbox to this day. I don't use the lockbox for anything valuable mind you, just keepsakes and such.

The only one I really feel was worth it to me was the DJ Max Portable 2 limited edition. I wasn't able to get the Black version, but I got the silver. Still the nicest complete LE package I've ever gotten.

I got a Yellow NB Ranger mask. :(

Kadin

Curious to see if anyone mentions the Borderlands edition that came with the loot chest. I never seem to see any mention of that, probably not a great deal overall I imagine. Or no one bought it...

I love the one for Ys: Memories of Celceta, wasn't expensive and included a really comprehensive 3 disc soundtrack spanning the entire franchise, a nice art book, and a cloth map. XSEED usually has nice ones.

mindsale

I love the Overwatch edition I nabbed because Soldier is my favorite character. He's got a neat topaz sheen through a black figure.

Type40

Japanese Hyrule Warriors

Chest, Clock, Artbook, DLC, Game, Scarf

zelda-musou-treasure-box-363923.24.jpg

treasurebox.jpg

Other than that every World of Warcraft CE has been excellent.

art book + well made statue + one of the best box arts ever created = the trifecta.

127504_CELG.jpg

The Artbook was a bit lame though. Future press is also releasing a guide and artbook for the game. And digital soundtrack is a big no no.

For me probably Sonic Generation CE.

darksiders2.ce.lg.jpg

That mask is of so great quality <3.

sonic_generations_collectors_edition_by_eggman_x-d4f56ho.jpg

Also, I got the same SWTOR edition as OP for ~5$ that were well spent for the content, and the Skyrim collector edition with the Alduin figure for ~15$, too bad that figure was cheap plastic :(

Can't wait long enough for the Persona 5 and Sonic mania collectors too.

jph139

Probably Fire Emblem Fates. Not the best game, but getting all three games on a single cart with zero markup - along with a nice little artbook and a 3DS baggie - is not something I could imagine regretting.

SigSig

I really like my Japanese Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) box, which came with a miniature version of the Edelweiss.

Woorloog

Banned
The Halo Reach limited edition. No statue, crappy music or anything like that. Just a great piece of Halo lore for fans of the series. I would've liked a steelbook but that would've been pushing it since the steelbook would be inside of the big box with the diary.

419GsWrzizL.jpg

Man I love that collectors edition. I'd like to buy a beer to whomever worked on this. Reminds me of the Oblivion collectors edition, but this one feels a bit more personal what reading Halsey's diary as if it was real.

Yup, this is great.

Unfortunate Reach itself is terrible... Still, love the book and stuff, and the box.

Justinh

The Halo Reach limited edition. No statue, crappy music or anything like that. Just a great piece of Halo lore for fans of the series. I would've liked a steelbook but that would've been pushing it since the steelbook would be inside of the big box with the diary.

419GsWrzizL.jpg

Man I love that collectors edition. I'd like to buy a beer to whomever worked on this. Reminds me of the Oblivion collectors edition, but this one feels a bit more personal what reading Halsey's diary as if it was real.

Yeah, I love this too. I like it when they come with stuff like the diary. Stuff you can read, but not a crummy small artbooks that's barley long enough to be called a "book."

I guess the best stuff I got are the MM3DSXL and MM game?
I have a bunch that I don't really care about. I have the helmets for Halo 3 and Killzone 3 (KZ3 because it was on sale on Amazon new for like... 50 at one time?).

Oh, I like the Skyward sword one too because of the gold Wiimote. I like having the "gold set" of gold Wiimote, gold nunchuk, and gold Pro Controller. I don't have the gold steering wheel, but screw that thing.

edit: oh, yeah. Also Collectors' Edition guides. Some of them have gone up in price significantly (actually these Zelda books haven't gone up much, I think the Skyward Sword and Link Between Worlds ones have though, strangely).
FOImNJE.jpg

I got these Zelda ones (and every one that followed save for the crummy Triforce Heroes guide), the Bloodborne guide and the one for its DLC, and the ones for Dark Souls 1 + 2 which have gone up in price I think. Surprisingly, stuff like (I think) Fallout 3 GotY and Witcher 3 books have started to creep up too.

xVodevil

The Witcher 3
Awesome contents, and the only one where it was totally worth it both game and the package wise. I'm so glad I gave CDPR the most money I possibly could for this gem of a game!

daveo42

Banned
latest

I have the PS3 version, but the stuff is the same.

The Last of Us
8405446329_0d7a0a3984_c.jpg

I don't purchase a lot of Special Editions but this was only $80 and it was well worth it for how little it was marked up. Artbook is great

Yup, this was about the best CE I've purchased. Totally worth it for what you got on top of the game itself

Mine sits in the box in my closet. I find most of the statues included in CEs an absolute waste of space.

Top Bottom