• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What has been your best Limited/Collector's Edition purchase to date?

The Last of Us
8405446329_0d7a0a3984_c.jpg

I don't purchase a lot of Special Editions but this was only $80 and it was well worth it for how little it was marked up. Artbook is great

This. Full art book, comic and steelcase and no bullshit statue.

bumpkin

art book + well made statue + one of the best box arts ever created = the trifecta.

127504_CELG.jpg
I would have that too if a now-banned GAF'er (unrelated to the incident) hadn't taken my money and either cancelled the Amazon preorder or set shipping back to himself after sending me a screenshot of the order with my address on it. :(

One of my all-time favorites (not my photo):

gears-of-war-3-epic-edition.jpg

rackham

Banned
Mega Man Legacy PS4
Shovel Knight PS4
Gravity Rush Remastered even though it and its sequel came with fucking nothing but the game
Witcher 3

The Mass Effect 1 CE might top it for me.

4d2017b267ca453924a6440c2110a2f5.jpg

The case and lore primer were nice and all but the bonus disc with a boatload of concept art with commentary for each piece was fantastic. Getting a walktrhough of how the characters, worlds, armours and races went from early concepts to final designs was A+ material.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir comes to mind. Besides all the really pretty artwork, it comes with a t-shirt which I can wear casually.

OSL_Glam_Shot_Generic.jpg

Collectors Editions with useful or creative additions are the best, the ones that go beyond the norm of steelbook+artbook. Stuff you can get actual use for is even better.

Persona 5 Take Your Heart edition is also looking great.

127127ALELG.jpg

Smasher89

Probably this one, apparently UK exclusive
packaging-002.jpg

That said the glue was kinda lackiing for that box, and I did get fates special edition (but that was more expensive for a less complete game).

IrishNinja

soo jelly of the demons souls & last guardian ones, phew

i dug the uncharted 3 one (necklace & statue) cause it was like $30 or so when best buy was dumping em. was pretty happy with yakuza 0 recently too, if that counts.

still hoping my zelda one doesnt get canceled, really looking forward to that & sonic mania ones this year!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Guild Wars 2 no question.

The statue is huge, and the framed artwork's on my wall, looking great. Artbook's nice, Soundtrack is amazing, all of this in a huge metal gravure box.

Ertai

Literally all of this.

I'm really sad i missed out on the Burning Crusade CE. I missed out on it because my local store messed up its order and by the time the problem came to light i had no option to get it elsewhere as it was sold out everywhere. I have every other CE from Blizzard but this one.

Is that every WoW CE? Another huge regret not buying the first one when I could have.

It is! But if I'm being honest, I bought Vanilla-Wrath a couple years ago to round off my collection. I've played since 2005, but I didn't have the CEs at the time. Vanilla probably cost me like $80, I got pretty lucky with that one on eBay. TBC and Wrath were like $50 each. Included all the stuff, but the codes were redeemed.

Also I'm realizing that this picture is roughly a year old at this point. I should update it.

I'm a sucker for art books so every Blizzard CE has been amazing for me.

I also still think the Halo 3 legendary helmet looks pretty slick.

I liked the Halo Reach one, the journal was pretty interesting even to someone who wasn't particularly interested in the extended Halo lore, and the statue was dope as fuck. It was also the first super money edition of a game I bought.

I think the Japanese Gravity Rush Remastered edition with the Figma of Kat was awesome, even if not long after it came out they announced the GR2 Kat Figma (still can't decide if it's still worth buying for a slightly different outfit).

Then probably the Demon's Souls Limited Edition. I know it's probably hard for some people to imagine a time before Souls was a massive IP with chicken wing eating challenge promotions and shit, but there was a time where finding any detailed info on the game was pretty hard and that shitty little guide was a lifesaver even if it wasn't always 100% accurate.

SugarDave

Probably Witcher 3. The game (including the soundtrack etc. that came with the standard edition also), a steelbook, a Witcher medallion, a great hardcover artbook, a dev team signed box and a statue of Geralt battling a griffin that has been on my desk ever since. All for £99.99. Still expensive but from anyone else that shit would have cost £150-200 at least. Thank god GAME didn't nab exclusivity for the sale of it.

That's the best one overall but I'm happy that I managed to find the CE's for both Witcher 2 and Fallout: New Vegas for around £30 on eBay. The former comes with its own lovely artbook and the latter has a cool unique deck of playing cards along with a platinum chip.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Bioshocks's Big Daddy figurine and Metal Gear Rising's plasma lamp are the only two I still have on display, so those I guess.

The only one I really feel was worth it to me was the DJ Max Portable 2 limited edition. I wasn't able to get the Black version, but I got the silver. Still the nicest complete LE package I've ever gotten.

I got a Yellow NB Ranger mask. :(

I always wanted to get this but it was sold out ridiculously quick back then. I saw one in Japan years ago for a high price, and me being a graduate without a job, there was no way I could afford it. The DJ Max LEs are easily some of my favourites. DJMPortable, Black Square and Hot Tunes are really nice. Hot Tunes has the nicest box, all wooden like.

djmax_hottunes_le.jpg

Surprisingly, the FFXIII-2 Crystal Edition in Europe is excellent. A thick, well sized artbook, a complete soundtrack and then a t-shirt. The box design was classy, the interior plastic had feathered embossing (or debossing, I don't know the technical terms). It was really compelling package and I was surprised SE pulled it off. After all, how often do we receive complete soundtracks in any CE/LE?!

Another Square Enix mention, FF Type-0 SE Store Exclusive was quite nice. One of the best looking steelbooks out there, too, personally.

Bravely Second Japanese and EU special edition was again also nice. Same thing for each territory (censored artbook in EU). On the large side of things however.

First game was also good (Japanese edition, not the awful western one)

The DJ Max stuff is probably my favourite that I own.

Should add, the Persona 5 steelbook is looking FLY! Saw a glimpse of one. Hnng!

jennetics

I got cold feet on the price of the Titanfall collector's edition and didn't get it. The statue looked so dang amazing, never ended up getting it :( And now these things are like $300 brand new. I just want the statue!

42ef8__TitanfallCEStatue-610.jpg

Zackat

Star Wars Galaxies CE got you in-game goggles that were the only eyewear in the game. Best CE I ever bought.

UCBooties

On value alone it has to be the Infamous 2 collector's edition. I still use the bag every time I go to a convention.

Bravely Second came with the complete design works, so that's a big deal for me as well.

Crixus

If I had to pick just one favorite that would probably be TES IV: Oblivion. It was cheap, it has a map, a lore book, a bonus dvd and a nice metal coin all in a very small box that aligns well with other standard edition games. I am a big fan of these compact boxes with good bang for the buck like Mass Effect, Spore, Life is Strange, Far Cry 3 Insane edition, Witcher 1 EE, etc.

Divinity Anthology is in the same compact category, I love it. The dev diary is a great read with funny behind the scene insight.

McMoPCE.jpg

If a CE box really has to be big, then it better include a full sized artbook too. The Elder Scrolls Online Imperial Edition gave me a very good proposition for my money: sturdy box, statue, hefty high quality artbook/lorebook, steelbook.

KbXjCrJ.jpg

Eggbok

ac3-freedom-edition.jpg

I was really excited for ACIII, it was actually my second CE. I even bought a replica of Connor's axe, I was hyped!

I use the bag that the Infamous 2 ce came with on a regular basis, so probably that one.

I do love the look of the Halo 3 Legendary edition helmet and still have it out as well.

Ristifer

Definitely my Age Of Empires III CE. I bought that with all the money I had as a kid, and I loved it. It might not be as fancy as what you can get these days, but I still adored it.

895x504.jpeg

That artbook was phenomenal.

Saints Row IV: Game of the Generation package. The whole thing was so tounge-in-cheek and apart from the lame sound button thing I've used the other pieces a ton. The rotating display case is the GOAT SE/LE swag.

Top Bottom