• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what IPs can nintendo still use to breathe life into the 3DS in 2018?

You can always, y'know... not play it, ignore it, and leave its fans alone. Honestly, posts like yours are pretty much just lame attempts at thugging on 3DS fans, at this point.
I wanna play the sushi game as well as PQ2?
I like the 3DS I'm just saying late 2018 they should probably end its support.
DQ11 will probably be the last major western release so I was just thinking that's a good time for the support to end?

z0m3le

Banned
You can always, y'know... not play it, ignore it, and leave its fans alone. Honestly, posts like yours are pretty much just lame attempts at thugging on 3DS fans, at this point.

Every game made for the 3DS, is a game that could have been released for the Switch, with 3DS's saturation levels, it's market will not really grow from here, so while mostly everyone doesn't mind that it is getting FE:Warriors for instance, there is 6 to 7 million new Switch users who would love to get Metroid: Samus Returns next month. This can't keep happening since Nintendo is literally competing with themselves and we've seen how it turns out with Sega and the 32x vs Saturn.

I wanna play the sushi game as well as PQ2?
I like the 3DS I'm just saying late 2018 they should probably end its support.
DQ11 will probably be the last major western release so I was just thinking that's a good time for the support to end?

I think we'll probably see Nintendo's first party support for 3DS slow to a trickle and then maybe be a leaky faucet in 2019. Third parties will continue to support the platform for awhile either way. I'm willing to be we'll see some noteworthy Nintendo-published 3DS games next year. They just won't be putting out a new 2D/3D mario or Zelda, etc...

People just seem to associate the idea of "ending support" with Nintendo just dropping the system completely like they did with the Wii-U. In reality, they'll milk as much out of the 3DS as they possibly can because it was/is a successful system.

Every game made for the 3DS, is a game that could have been released for the Switch, with 3DS's saturation levels, it's market will not really grow from here, so while mostly everyone doesn't mind that it is getting FE:Warriors for instance, there is 6 to 7 million new Switch users who would love to get Metroid: Samus Returns next month. This can't keep happening since Nintendo is literally competing with themselves and we've seen how it turns out with Sega and the 32x vs Saturn.
Yeah I think this year has been great but they can't suppor the console into late 2018 that's way too long.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
People expecting games by actual nintendo studios and not just some outsourced spin-offs here and there by third-party studios are gonna be dissapointed.

also I guess Atlus is still releasing stuff, but it's atlus we're talking about did anyone expect anything else from that company lol

Cipherr

Let it die. I don't want good franchises wasting an appearance on 3DS.

NPknaje.gif

I hope they put mainline Mother, F-Zero, Waverace, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Sin and Punishment and more all on 3DS while you all writhe in pain

Three words

Physical Virtual Console

PVC for short, you know, like some sort of plastic, but not confuseable with minis

On a less bold note they clearly don't see the need to do it. Pokemon 7.5 will probably be enough for 3DSes' last hurrah even though it means nothing for me.

-Setsuna-

A second Dôbutsu no Mori spin-off would be nice. An adventure game using Tobidase engine and assets.

(One can dream...)

Anth0ny

f-zero just like they did metroid

milk the fanboys like myself for everything they're worth with amiibo, limited edition consoles and special edition versions of the game

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
People expecting games by actual nintendo studios and not just some outsourced spin-offs here and there by third-party studios are gonna be dissapointed.

also I guess Atlus is still releasing stuff, but it's atlus we're talking about did anyone expect anything else from that company lol

Some of the best first party games come from co-development or outsourced contractors. Look at all the great spinoffs and ports SONY has accumulated from those likes (just like Nintendo or any other publisher really). It's a great opportunity for Nintendo to release some remakes or remasters on the 3DS. Or even quirky spinoffs or sequels to the more niche franchises.

Caramello

1. Price drops across the board.
2. Splatoon Spin-off game.
3. Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal.
4. Super Mario 3D World port with multiplayer removed.
5. Advance Wars 3DS.
6. New IP.

Forward

Switch fans are the absolute worst. They make Sony GAF look like Switzerland.

Well Nintendo's internal teams have stopped 3DS development for quite a while now, so it would have to be another farmed out spinoff like Hey Pikmin or a port like Xenoblade or DKC Returns. I honestly can't think of much else in the way of spinoffs, though I will agree with that poster on the first page who said Captain Toad would probably work as a port. Can't really think of much else though.

And I don't think we're gonna get that many more first party published titles into 2018, maybe a handful at most. And almost nothing in 2019.

Out of genuine curiosity, how many 3DS games this fall are first-party developed and published? Metroid is being handled by an outside studio right?

Zero are first party developed, outside of Nintendo assisting/overseeing. Plenty published by Nintendo though.

Kureransu

Nope

Metroid: Samus Returns
Monster Hunter Stories
Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters
Culdcept Revolt
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
Pokemon Ultra Sun
Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy
Persona Q2
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux
Fire Emblem Warriors
Kirby's Blowout Blast
This is what you call a swan song.

Sponge

Banned
I'd suspect we'll see a new Donkey Kong from Nintendo next year. Considering Retro isn't working on Metroid, and Nintendo has Donkey Kong Country in mind for their theme park plans, I don't feel like the franchise is going away anytime soon.

I'm hoping for a full 3D DK platformer.

kc44135

Nope

Monster Hunter Stories
Culdcept Revolt
Pokemon Ultra Sun
Persona Q2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Kirby's Blowout Blast

Damn, all of these awesome games stuck at 240p. T-T

Remake of the original Paper Mario.

New Pokémon Puzzle League.

A new 2D Zelda that is to Links Awakening, what A Link Between Worlds is to A Link To The Past.

Advance Wars.

Nope

Monster Hunter Stories
Culdcept Revolt
Pokemon Ultra Sun
Persona Q2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Kirby's Blowout Blast
Got damn
Especially excited for Q2

Well Nintendo's internal teams have stopped 3DS development for quite a while now, so it would have to be another farmed out spinoff like Hey Pikmin or a port like Xenoblade or DKC Returns. I honestly can't think of much else in the way of spinoffs, though I will agree with that poster on the first page who said Captain Toad would probably work as a port. Can't really think of much else though.

And I don't think we're gonna get that many more first party published titles into 2018, maybe a handful at most. And almost nothing in 2019.

Zero are first party developed, outside of Nintendo assisting/overseeing. Plenty published by Nintendo though.

Thanks Skittzo! I thought I remembered reading something to that effect but I wanted to make sure.

kc44135

I'd suspect we'll see a new Donkey Kong from Nintendo next year. Considering Retro isn't working on Metroid, and Nintendo has Donkey Kong Country in mind for their theme park plans, I don't feel like the franchise is going away anytime soon.

I'm hoping for a full 3D DK platformer.

You're expecting this... on 3DS??? The platform is dead by the end of next year. No way Nintendo brings a new DK game to 3DS instead of, y'know, that new Nintendo portable with that nice HD screen that's going to be Nintendo's only platform going fprward...

Sponge

Banned
You're expecting this... on 3DS??? The platform is dead by the end of next year. No way Nintendo brings a new DK game to 3DS instead of, y'know, that new Nintendo portable with that nice HD screen that's going to be Nintendo's only platform going fprward...

I'm more or less responding to OPs suggestion of a new DK game coming. To clarify I don't expect this on the 3DS. If we're getting a new Donkey Kong it'll be Switch bound.

As far as what Nintendo could do for the 3DS, I got nothin'.

Lorcain

I'm actually fine with the 3DS fading away into the sunset, but they keep releasing good games for it. I've played mine more than my Switch over the past month finishing FE: Echoes and FE: Conquest.

z0m3le

Banned
Switch fans are the absolute worst. They make Sony GAF look like Switzerland.

1. Don't make monoliths out of groups of people.

2. Your personal opinion doesn't address new switch owners.

3. Switch ownership has more than doubled since launch month and will double again before the end of the year, blanket statements about the user base that is changing so rapidly is just ignorance, especially when we are talking about the switch user base at the end of 2018,likely 4 or 5 times as big as today's.

kc44135

I'm more or less responding to OPs suggestion of a new DK game coming. To clarify I don't expect this on the 3DS. If we're getting a new Donkey Kong it'll be Switch bound.

As far as what Nintendo could do for the 3DS, I got nothin'.

Yeah, OK, I see that he was asking about a new DK. Missed that. I definitely agree that there will be a new DKC game for Switch (maybe a Tropical Freeze port while they're at it, as every prior DKC has gotten a portable version). No way Nintendo does anything significant for 3DS next year though. Third-party stuff, and ports/remakes? Possibly, but I firmly believe any major first-party releases will be for Switch from here on out, regardless of what Nintendo says about 3DS being supported until 2019/2020 or whatever.

Also, on the subject of Retro... has Nintendo said that Retro wasn't working on a new DKC? Could they be? I'm really hoping they aren't. Returns and Tropical Freeze were great, but I really want to see them try something new.

VLiberty

Nope

Monster Hunter Stories
Culdcept Revolt
Pokemon Ultra Sun
Persona Q2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Kirby's Blowout Blast
even after 6 years I still get surprised to see how the library of this system is so damn rpg-centric

redcrayon

'Support in 2018' is not the same as 'developing first party games' or even 'publishing third parties games'.

I think we'll just see Sushi Striker as a first party project from Nintendo. They might help publish the 3DS version of Dragon Quest XI in Europe and promote that as the big title. Other than that, there's late ports from Atlus and that's probably about it unless they've got more outsourced, low-budget stuff up their sleeve. At this point, virtually all their in-house studios are working on Switch projects.

2018-19 is going to see a severe winding down compared to this year because Switch is a proven success, whereas the last round of green lit projects were both cheap compared to HD development and had to be able to ensure 3DS could survive past a potentially failed Switch launch for long enough to come up with some kind of plan B.

Seems pretty sensible to me, having the systems overlap for a year.

Actually, another late port I'd love to see is The Alliance Alive, I hope we see that but it's guaranteed to not sell well.

Zalman

I want them to remake Wario Land Virtual Boy for 3DS. This would work well for a few reasons:

1. It's a remake, meaning it won't require as many resources as a brand new game.
2. 3DS has many Nintendo franchises covered, but it has yet to have a Wario game.
3. The 3D effect would be a perfect fit.

KHlover

Banned
NPknaje.gif

I hope they put mainline Mother, F-Zero, Waverace, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Sin and Punishment and more all on 3DS while you all writhe in pain
Agreed, Nintendo should put those niche franchises on 3DS so their bombing won't negatively effect public perception of the Switch.

Top Bottom