• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what IPs can nintendo still use to breathe life into the 3DS in 2018?

Tokyo Mirage Sessions port
Tropical Freeze port
Captain Toad port
Wonderful 101 port

Tropical Freeze is a likely port considering the engine has already been downscaled and ported to 3DS with Returns.

Captain Toad would be a great port for 3DS as it's a nice little slow paced game you can play in small bursts.

Wonderful 101 would be too much for the hardware and is much more likely to be ported to Switch along with Bayonetta 1 & 2 (teased by Platinum themselves).

kc44135

I want them to focus on Switch next year.
👍👍👍
Every game made for the 3DS, is a game that could have been released for the Switch, with 3DS's saturation levels, it's market will not really grow from here, so while mostly everyone doesn't mind that it is getting FE:Warriors for instance, there is 6 to 7 million new Switch users who would love to get Metroid: Samus Returns next month. This can't keep happening since Nintendo is literally competing with themselves and we've seen how it turns out with Sega and the 32x vs Saturn.

Yeah, completely agreed. What I don't understand is why we couldn't have gotten Metroid as a "cross-gen" release for Switch too. Like, I get that they want to release games on a system with an install base more than 10x larger than Switch's, but why not release 'an on both, y'know. I'm sure it would take some effort, but surely it's worth the effort to release your new games on your new system!?. I just don't get Nintendo sometimes, man.

Remasters, ports, remakes, enhanced versions, and spinoffs are totally fair game. That's what the summer/fall 2017 lineup is packed with on 3DS, and I don't see that stopping anytime soon. Nintendo has clearly already moved their big teams off of the 3DS.

kc44135

Tropical Freeze is a likely port considering the engine has already been downscaled and ported to 3DS with Returns.

Captain Toad would be a great port for 3DS as it's a nice little slow paced game you can play in small bursts.

Wonderful 101 would be too much for the hardware and is much more likely to be ported to Switch along with Bayonetta 1 & 2 (teased by Platinum themselves).

Pls God, no. :(

...says increasingly nervous gaf member for the 7th time this year as 3ds gets another announced game.

I don't think anyone's nervous, the 3DS was never going to end its life in 2017. We always knew it would be supported at least through 2018.

But the fact that the Switch is getting a mainline Pokemon and that Nintendo's first party teams have ended all 3DS development should be a clear indicator that the Switch will be replacing it.

Is wishing for a system's death a common thing towards the end of consoles' lifespans? As someone who supported the 3DS pretty well and had a lot of fun on it, I really just want to retire it already, and I'm amazed by how many other people feel the same way. It's just such awful hardware.

z0m3le

Banned
I don't think anyone's nervous, the 3DS was never going to end its life in 2017. We always knew it would be supported at least through 2018.

But the fact that the Switch is getting a mainline Pokemon and that Nintendo's first party teams have ended all 3DS development should be a clear indicator that the Switch will be replacing it.

It's like people don't understand that Feb 2019 will be 8 years after 3DS launched, that is the same time frame DS was on the market, and that device was twice as successful.

More Picross!

This guy gets it. Although Jupiter just released Pictologica FF, Two Random Mobile Visual Novels and Tales of the Rays this year, so I suppose e7 will probably be the last one :(

Let's see:
Maybe Megaton Musashi X, Inazuma Eleven Ares's Scale from Level 5
Ace Attorney 7
Bravely Third (probably?)
----
Custom Robo (Please)
Trauma Center (Please)

GRIMREEFZ

With Samus returns coming im very excited to start using my 3DS again! That console it amazing and that game looks fantastic!

redcrayon

Is wishing for a system's death a common thing towards the end of consoles' lifespans? As someone who supported the 3DS pretty well and had a lot of fun on it, I really just want to retire it already, and I'm amazed by how many other people feel the same way. It's just such awful hardware.
What is a system's 'death' or 'retirement' though.

Hardware? Nintendo released what will probably be the final variant only a few weeks ago, that isn't going to wind down for a while yet. Most popular hardware still gets made for ages after the voracious western customer base has moved on.
First party software? The vast majority of Nintendo's development resources are on Switch and have been for a long time now.
Outsourced 3DS software? It's a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of Switch projects, and none have been greenlit for a long time.
Late ports? We can hardly blame Japanese publishers (who make most of the 3DS games) to actually want to release them worldwide, even if that comes after the global Switch launch. A healthy chunk of 3DS games are RPGs that aren't quick to translate and take a while to get approved in multiple languages and markets.

3DS is pretty much approaching retirement as far as Nintendo's first party games development goes, I'm not sure what else they could do other than shitcan outsourced and third party projects moving down the production line, and if the only reason to do so is Switch owners complaining that such projects aren't releasing on their system, that seems a pretty poor idea. Nintendo's 3DS-only projects were greenlit long before the Switch launch, even while the whole company was being redesigned to support Switch.

iswasdoes

I would be very surprised if there was another major 1st party announcement post metroid. It goes against what they've said about consolidating teams, and makes little sense trying to establish switch.

Sure theyve just launched 2ds, but that's so they can cost effectively milk the library for the next year or so, rather than extend the life of the platform.

Im not anti 3ds and had a great time with it, but I want them to focus 100% on Switch now, its their ticket back to proper greatness.

Forward

I swear, these drive-by shit Switch posts pop up so frequently in 3DS threads, can they really be called drive-bys anymore? It is camping, at this point.

Griss

F-Zero and Advance Wars would both be outstanding on 3DS.

That said, as a Switch owner as well I must add my voice to those hoping they move on. I just got a new faceplate and some styluses (stylii?) for my n3DS to get me through the next few months but after that it's time for a long rest, surely.

The thing the Switch taught me is once new hardware is a thing all old video games effectively become obsolete to half of GAF unless they get ported to the new console that they purchased.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It is really shocking that Captain Toad never was given his own game on 3DS. The hardware and tech is ripe for it, even the use of 3D.

asagami_

Banned
Nope

Metroid: Samus Returns
Monster Hunter Stories
Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters
Culdcept Revolt
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
Pokemon Ultra Sun
Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy
Persona Q2
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux

Fire Emblem Warriors
Kirby's Blowout Blast

I can tell in that list there are just 5 games using Nintendo IP (and almost everyting for launch this year), I guess some third-party games are published by Nintendo, like Monster Hunter Stories, and there are at least 3 Atlus games (I would add Radiant Historia too)

Honestly, even as a big fan of 3DS and Atlus (and excited for these games <3) the 3DS support isn't the same as before. Next year will be more clear.

Neoxon

Tokyo Mirage Sessions port
Tropical Freeze port
Captain Toad port
Wonderful 101 port
I'm not sure if W101 would be feasible on the 3DS.

Pokémon, it did it before during the Game Boy era when the original gen 1 game was released.

Now before people start jumping in and saying "but but they just said that they are moving to the Switch." Yes that is true but it could get delayed which has happened twice in the series so they could fire out one game for the system say a probable Sinnoh remake.
The 3DS already got its remakes (OR/AS), plus TPC & Game Freak aren't opposed to giving the mainline series a year-long break between generations.

Honestly, the upcoming third party games & late localizations may be enough for the 3DS next year. Most of EPD already moved on to the Switch, might as well let the rest of Nintendo follow suit.

Jakoo

If Nintendo is going to justify keeping the 3DS around, it should be with software that is unique to the dual screen/touch screen gimmick that wouldn't work on the Switch.

Perhaps work with Atlus and roll out another iteration of Trauma Center? I feel like that was a DS franchise that never saw another iteration on the 3DS.

Neoxon

If Nintendo is going to justify keeping the 3DS around, it should be with software that is unique to the dual screen/touch screen gimmick that wouldn't work on the Switch.

Perhaps work with Atlus and roll out another iteration of Trauma Center? I feel like that was a DS franchise that never saw another iteration on the 3DS.
Like Persona Q2?

It's like people don't understand that Feb 2019 will be 8 years after 3DS launched, that is the same time frame DS was on the market, and that device was twice as successful.

It's also like people don't understand that 3DS has an almost 70 million install base with much cheaper development costs than Switch with it's 6 million base.

I don't doubt Nintendo's word that 3DS will be supported through 2018 but I think a lot of the games will be remakes and ports.

Super Mario 3D World would be a good big name 2018 3DS port. It should scale down nicely from Wii U to 30fps without the mp feature.

Nothing. They shouldn't try to because it's dumb. The entire future release is about getting the best out of the 3DSs death throes, not about breathing new life into it

Soar

I'm going to be honest, as a recent reader of Gaf since early this year all this wishing death on 3DS is probably the negativity that's the most constant and annoying. I reckon I probably came in at the wrong time or perhaps this is situation normal here after every major console release. I don't even mind the port begging if done politely, but this is incredibly childish, as were the armchair game dev insults.

Love the rest of Gaf though,
except for the console wars

I own a 3DS and am very excited to buy a Switch soon but this is really making me less excited about clicking on nintendo related threads and dampening my enthusiasm. Just a newbie's perspective.

On topic, I'm hoping the 3DS will get some more support at least on games that can take advantage of the 3D screen as that's pretty unique in the space right now, though with their new 2DS push I doubt that's going to happen.

Neoxon

I am not super familiar with that game. Is it like Etrian Odyssey where the map is a huge part of the game? If so, I think it makes sense that that is also on the 3DS.
Correct, it's like Etrian Odyssey & Persona thrown in a blender.

It's also like people don't understand that 3DS has an almost 70 million install base with much cheaper development costs than Switch with it's 6 million base.

I don't doubt Nintendo's word that 3DS will be supported through 2018 but I think a lot of the games will be remakes and ports.

Super Mario 3D World would be a good big name 2018 3DS port. It should scale down nicely from Wii U to 30fps without the mp feature.
Ported by who though? Nintendo devs are no longer working on 3DS and haven't for some time now. Would that game not be better served being ported to Switch at some point instead? Surely it would be far easier to pull off.

And while the 3DS has a huge user base and cheaper development, at some point that user base will become less active as they move on. Otherwise nobody would ever stop developing for the 360/PS3.

mario_O

would love a new 3d mario

or a zelda game, the 3ds only got remakes of nintendo 64, and the 2d game that was also kind of a remake. it didn't have its own zelda.

not gonna happen in a million years though :p

The easy answer is a port of the first Splatoon single player campaign with additional content that links to Splatoon 2 for the Switch in some way. This would be New 3DS Only of course. Also, smaller titles like Pictobits 2, Mario Clash, and Nintendo Pinball.

Third parties could mine the unreleased games like Beyond the Labyrinth. We'll still Unity ports on the e Shop until Summer of 2018, unless we see a new upgrade to the unit.

Games i am pretty sure will come

Yo-Kai Watch 3

Persona Q 2

DQ 11

Games that maybe will be out

Snack World.

Pokemon Crystal. (if they managed to get the online working)

Ported by who though? Nintendo devs are no longer working on 3DS and haven't for some time now.

Says who? There will be a number of 3DS games in development by Nintendo. They are not going to fully leave the guaranteed success of that massive install base until Switch proves that it has long term selling power.

And while the 3DS has a huge user base and cheaper development, at some point that user base will become less active as they move on. Otherwise nobody would ever stop developing for the 360/PS3.

There were plenty of PS360 games announced that people wanted on PS4 / Xbox One after their leaks and a ton of cross generation games people moaned about released once they arrived. Publishers don't just abandon massive install bases overnight.

The 3D Land / World engine and assets are already built and working on 3DS. It would be a case of lowering the quality of 3D Worlds assets and textures to get it running on 3DS at 30fps (same as 3D Land).

It wouldn't surprise me if 3D World was originally 3D Land 2 for 3DS but was quickly ported to Wii U with better visuals and mp added to try and kick start Wii U's awful sales. If so an earlier version of 3D World for 3DS already exists.

Says who? There will be a number of 3DS games in development by Nintendo. They are not going to fully leave the guaranteed success of that massive install base until Switch proves that it has long term selling power.
What was the last one? What is the next one that's been announced?

There were plenty of PS360 games announced that people wanted on PS4 / Xbox One after their leaks and a ton of cross generation games people moaned about released once they arrived. Publishers don't just abandon massive install bases overnight.
2018 wouldn't be overnight.

F-Zero X port with 64DD content
Wario Land VB remake
Chibi Robo sequel to the great GC/DS2 ones
Captain Toad port (could go to Switch instead, but I think it could work with the 3D)
Kirby Rainbow curse port

Add some Nintendo-published localizations and you are set for the year. Also Pushmo collection with amiibo.

The thing the Switch taught me is once new hardware is a thing all old video games effectively become obsolete to half of GAF unless they get ported to the new console that they purchased.

Honestly, that's the way I've always treated video game consoles. I generally use the sale of old hardware/games to fund my new stuff as well, so that makes it harder to go back. Sometimes it works out and sometimes I end up regretting my decision to lose the old hardware.

Jakoo

I wish this weren't true for me, but it is. Going back to the 3DS is hard given how elegant and quick the Switch's UI is, on top of the television play option. The 3DS had it's place but I feel just more excited to interact with the Switch then I have with the 3DS in some time.

F-Zero and Advance Wars would both be outstanding on 3DS.

I disagree. I feel like F-Zero has always pushed the graphics/speed card, which would be better suited for the Switch. F-Zero is also a game that would benefit from HD, given that there has never been an HD entry. I feel like if Nintendo sold a remaster of F-Zero GX with 30 person online for the Switch as a 40$ budget title, it would do pretty well given the investment.

Additionally, while I liked Advance Wars on the DS, I feel like the dual screen/touch screen features never really significantly enhanced the gameplay enough to justify another entry being on the 3DS instead of the Switch.

--

I do feel like it would be interesting if Nintendo put some WarioWare Mega Collection on the 3DS. Nintendo never really took a stab at WarioWare on the 3DS. I feel like they could take a selection of older Microgames as well as crafting some specific ones that utilized the 3D/Touch Screen/Gyroscope of the 3DS as well.

Instro

Launching new games in dead franchises like FZero and Advance Wars seems like a horrible idea to attempt on the 3DS at this stage.

Top Bottom