• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what IPs can nintendo still use to breathe life into the 3DS in 2018?

scamander

Banned
I am continually baffled at the 3DS fans that seem determined to spite Switch owners and seem to want it to fail in favor of their ailing system.

Where are those ominous 3DS fans that want the Switch to fail? All I see are tons of switch owners that get pissed in basically every 3DS related thread (including this one) and want the system to "die finally".
Because releasing new games for 3DS that have finished development some time ago is apparently affecting software development on switch.

I am continually baffled at the 3DS fans that seem determined to spite Switch owners and seem to want it to fail in favor of their ailing system. The 3DS was bad hardware when it was released! Why wouldn't you want your games to be played on better hardware? Because honestly, it's library is what made the 3DS great in spite of itself.

Oh come on - this narrative is getting ridiculous.

And in some cases I'd rather a game were on 3DS than Switch due to 3D and dual screens.

The Switch isn't objectively superior hardware/experience from every perspective.

takriel

Retro Studios new game with 4+ years dev time is a new Donkey Kong Country Returns, exclusively for 3DS, Holiday 2018.

I'd like to see a Warioware game that plays on the 3D gimmick before it's gone forever. Rusty scratched the itch but I'm down for the full course.

F-zero

As much as I'd prefer one on switch. It would be cheaper to develop and less of a risk for Nintendo just to gauge how viable the series still is. Also having one in 3D would be awesome.

I feel like it would be better served on the Switch. Better graphics (something F-Zero is known for), release early in the Switch's lifetime (more active install base, less competition from other games), and better controls.

It doesn't even have to be a "full" $60 game. It can be a $20 download-only game.

JDazzle

Neo Member
The 3DS had a great run and some of the last few games coming out for it within the next year (Metroid, Radiant Historia, etc) are going to be great games for the 3DS to die on.

The 3DS doesn't need to continue; it's great, it's library is great, and it will always be thought of a great portable system with a unique gimmick that (surprisingly) didn't become its bane.

If anything, I would love to see Nintendo stop production on cartridges and open up indie development even more. Let the eShop provide an entry point for new indie game devs.

Neoxon

Kirby, Kirby, and more Kirby. Also the next Animal Crossing game is gonna be cross gen with 3ds and Switch.
Kirby's jumping ship next year, & I be shocked if Animal Crossing wasn't Switch-only. The 3DS already got New Leaf.

The 3DS had a fantastic run. And with the likes of Metroid & Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, it's definitely gonna go out on a high note. But at least as far as Nintendo support goes, it's probably time to let it go out on said high notes.

Where are those ominous 3DS fans that want the Switch to fail? All I see are tons of switch owners that get pissed in basically every 3DS related thread (including this one) and want the system to "die finally".
Because releasing new games for 3DS that have finished development some time ago is apparently affecting software development on switch.

Oh come on - this narrative is getting ridiculous.

And in some cases I'd rather a game were on 3DS than Switch due to 3D and dual screens.

The Switch isn't objectively superior hardware/experience from every perspective.

There are a few posters that seem very protective of the 3DS. They seem illogical and defensive. If I implied that this was all 3DS fans, or even a majority, then I apologize.

I'm not sure why Switch fans who want the 3DS "to die" are that bad except for their inflammatory words. I mean, it doesn't help anyone to have games trapped on the 3DS except for 3DS fans without Switches who don't want to wait to get one.

The exceptions to these cases are games like the ones I, and you all, described. Games made to take advantage of the 3DS's unique traits definitely belong on the 3DS and not (but who knows, see 999) on the Switch. 3D is shakey, since there are a ton of 2DSes out there, but the dual-screen does allow for unique gameplay.

Sadly, I don't see a ton of advocates for such games, just popular games that would be way better on the Switch.

DrGrus

There's a very good chance the 3DS family of systems will outsell the GBA by the time Nintendo stop it's production. 2DS could hit $50 with a bundled game, 2DS XL could hit $100 with a bundled game in the next year which is a no brainer for a family who want a cheap Pokemon / Mario machine.

This is a very sensible post and no one seems to care.

Best thing Nintendo could do for the 3ds is a price cut and then an increased Nintendo selects. Throw in one or two new cheap games.

This is a very sensible post and no one seems to care.

Best thing Nintendo could do for the 3ds is a price cut and then an increased Nintendo selects. Throw in one or two new cheap games.

It was addressed in later posts that the DS family would only possibly surpass the GBA family in lifetime sales because it is taking twice as long. But, here is that same poster's followup, which has some very good points.

But really who cares who makes them? My point is that there is a lot of money still to be made on 3DS with very little cost and effort in comparison to starting a brand new Switch game from scratch. Whether it's interns, new staff or established teams, I'm sure Nintendo won't let them out the door unless they are made to a certain standard.

No, you said "it's by a very large margin their worst selling handheld". The 3DS family can outsell GBA in the coming few years quite easily. That would be twice as long as GBA to hit those numbers but that wasn't your point now was it.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the 3DS family come closer to 100 million units by the time Nintendo stops production of it.

Nintendo can use the 3DS family as an entry point for young children and families to enter the Nintendo eco system by offering 2DS at $50 and 2DS XL at $100 both with a game in the coming years. Even if they don't make a profit on the hardware, they will make profit on software and hopefully create lifelong Nintendo fans who will go on to buy the Switch and whatever comes next.

I love my Switch but it doesn't come close to my 3DS in terms of being a portable for a number of reasons including portability, ease of use, software library, battery life and cost. This is one of the reasons Nintendo are keeping 3DS around, at least until they can create Switch in the sort of form factor 3DS currently is.

It's true that Nintendo can continue to use the 3DS family as a kid-friendly entry into the Nintendo ecosystem. I'm not sure how many more they can sell at this point, but it is true that right now the Switch is a bit too expensive for families to drop $$$ on for careless children to own. The question then becomes whether it is worthwhile for Nintendo to devote resources to support it through software. I don't think it is and have yet to hear a compelling reason as to why it is. If parents are waiting until now to decide on whether to get their kid a 3DS/2DS, I'm sure the already existing library of fantastic games is enough.

The portability aspect of a 3DS and new 2DS is definitely a strength over the Switch. How much a strength compared to the Switch's better everything else is subjective. The battery life is about the same. Ease of use is a strange thing to bring up, since I have never heard anyone claim that the 3DS is easy to use, especially over the Switch. Perhaps in terms of media apps and apps such as Streetpass, which I'm not convinced were every super popular outside of niche enthusiasts (like me!).

As for software library, that already exists. Nintendo killing support for the 3DS is not going to remove games from the existing DS family's library. It doesn't really need any more whereas the Switch is Nintendo's future. The real tragedy is Nintendo's lack of coordination for the release of the Switch, which is demonstrated in the state of the OS and the lack of cross-platform games that would have pleased both 3DS and Switch owners.

they'll probably do Bravely Third

I'd like to think so, but I'm not convinced. Aren't the bravely Default team working on Project Octopath?

Edit: Then again, I absolutely wouldn't put it past square to slash the games budget even more, hand it off to a C grade team, force them to reuse the same world map again, and bury the series forever. That would show them for outperforming expectations with the original!

Switch fans are the absolute worst. They make Sony GAF look like Switzerland.

No, you're in denial. I have 40+ games for 3ds. I will be getting SS remake, Metroid, etc etc. But as a Nintendo fan (Trying to create a console war between two platforms from the same company? Bad form.) much like everyone else here, their clear best path forward is what that poster you quoted is saying.

mollipen

You can always, y'know... not play it, ignore it, and leave its fans alone. Honestly, posts like yours are pretty much just lame attempts at thugging on 3DS fans, at this point.

Nintendo's handhelds are the only platforms I've cared about from the company for years and years now, I loved the 3DS (not as much as the DS, but still), and I want to see it dead at this point.

The Switch is finally the chance to come into Nintendo from the handheld side but not miss out on their console side, and I think they need to focus every effort they can on making it a strong platform. In my eyes, Nintendo has long been weak at supporting two different pieces of hardware at once, so this is the chance for them to escape that fate.

And, as much as I loved the 3DS, I'm kind of done with seeing games crippled by those low resolution screens. Keep the crazy weird niche Japanese, indie, and small stuff coming, but Nintendo shouldn't be spending any more time developing for it at this point. (I know there's an argument to be made for them using the 3DS as a place to do quirky super low-budget stuff, but I think Nintendo needs to not cheap out right now, and give that stuff enough of a push to be on the Switch too.)

It's hard for me to say this, because as I said I've long loved their lower-priced, lower-powered handhelds, and part of me will be really sad if we come to live in a world where they don't exist anymore. But, at the same time, I really think it's time to move on. The 3DS got a ton of great games and has so much you could still play it for years, so new games need to go somewhere where they can do far more good.

Toxi

Banned
I do feel like it would be interesting if Nintendo put some WarioWare Mega Collection on the 3DS. Nintendo never really took a stab at WarioWare on the 3DS. I feel like they could take a selection of older Microgames as well as crafting some specific ones that utilized the 3D/Touch Screen/Gyroscope of the 3DS as well.
It's shocking how there's been nothing since Game and Wario.

sphinx

the piano man
I mean, it doesn't help anyone to have games trapped on the 3DS

this right here... I can't comprehend how people can think like this.

I'd love to see new games developed for any console I own, retro and new.

I'd love for Nintendo to release Stratropics 3 for fucking NES.

People here would KILL for a Mother 4 directed by Itoi even if he demanded it had to be released on the SNES or GBA and remain "trapped" there.

if a game will appear on 3DS in 2018 or 2019 is because it fits the hardware better than switch, nothing to do with dev time/resources

this right here... I can't comprehend how people can think like this.

I'd love to see new games developed for any console I own, retro and new.

I'd love for Nintendo to release Stratropics 3 for fucking NES.

People here would KILL for a Mother 4 directed by Itoi even if he demanded it had to be released on the SNES or GBA and remain "trapped" there.

if a game will appear on 3DS in 2018 or 2019 is because it fits the hardware better than switch, nothing to do with dev time/resources

Wow, so you'd love it if Nintendo developed games like Samus Returns for the NES, instead of the Switch or even the 3DS. That's certainly an interesting point of view. If you mean, in conjunction with the newest consoles, then sure, that's understandable. it would be nice to have games come out on every platform that can run them. Unless, of course, the additional work to do so prevents development on other games.

If a game can take advantage of specific hardware, like the 3DS's dual screens, then sure, it makes sense. Hell I'm still upset at a lack of an asymmetrical D&D game for the Wii U. But I'm not really seeing too much of a push for that when people want the 3DS to live on.

I love my 3DS and its final years are great. Fantastic library that includes its predecessor's also magnificent library means the system will always have a place in my collection. However, it's time for it to die. The Switch is portable, more powerful, has a better screen, similar battery life, and great options for playing it. It even has a touch screen. Nintendo can focus its efforts and have all IP available on a single system, which is extremely popular right now. No amount of 3DS love should prevent this. Send the system out with a bang and go in on the Switch 100%

I'd like to think so, but I'm not convinced. Aren't the bravely Default team working on Project Octopath?

Edit: Then again, I absolutely wouldn't put it past square to slash the games budget even more, hand it off to a C grade team, force them to reuse the same world map again, and bury the series forever. That would show them for outperforming expectations with the original!

The Bravely series still get mobile releases that will likely tide the series over until a third game is announced. As far as I know main scenario writer wants to make a third one (some loose ties left at the end of Second) that will be on a different landscape than the previous two.

I'm confident it will happen eventually, just after Octopath Traveler.

Seriously, none.

I'm tempted to buy a New XL 3DS, and I adore the handheld, but there's not a single Nintendo IP I can think of down the line that wouldn't be better suited for Switch.

Every new 3DS game that Nintendo announces going forward would frankly be a straight up detriment to Switch's prospect of a Nintendo platform with full, unified support from them.

The Bravely series still get mobile releases that will likely tide the series over until a third game is announced. As far as I know main scenario writer wants to make a third one (some loose ties left at the end of Second) that will be on a different landscape than the previous two.

I'm confident it will happen eventually, just after Octopath Traveler.

It probably will, yeah. The teaser after the ending of Second certainly makes it clear they intended for one to exist at some point, but who knows if they'll get round to it.

Nintendo developed the Switch to unify its home and handheld divisions, thus it doesn't make sense to continue development for 3DS exclusive content far beyond this year.

In a perfect world, Nintendo would release a 'handheld' line of Switch games at 3DS prices, like Pokemon.

Newk86

I am continually baffled at the 3DS fans that seem determined to spite Switch owners and seem to want it to fail in favor of their ailing system.

Do you seriously believe this? All 3DS fans will likely transition to Switch eventually.

The hijacking of every single 3DS thread by Switch fans is over the top though. Kind of getting sick of the calls for death, the "now-now-now" and "give me all the games and others nothing, they have enough games already etc " attitude.

There are plenty of Switch games that have been announced. Of course they will take time to develop and not everybody can afford a Switch at launch. Some people I think just need to relax.

I've said it before but I think the early failure of the Wii U has possibly caused a bit of angst amongst Nintendo fans which is still yet to settle.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Advance Wars
Brain Age 4
Golden Sun 4
Mario vs DK Still More Minis-Madness
Pokémon Conquest 2
Pokémon Ranger 4
Super Metroid remake
WarioWare

An thats just Nintendo.

Still hoping for a Project X Zone 3! Another Popolocrois would be cool to!

btw were people really surprised at Atlus for announcing more 3DS games? They just released a PS3 game in 2017 ya know.

Neoxon

The system where you can play all portable Pokémon games? I don't think so.
He/she means system support. You can't expect Nintendo to support the 3DS forever just because you can play every Pokémon generation on it (sans Gen 8 onwards)

HYDE

Banned
I want them to remake Wario Land Virtual Boy for 3DS. This would work well for a few reasons:

1. It's a remake, meaning it won't require as many resources as a brand new game.
2. 3DS has many Nintendo franchises covered, but it has yet to have a Wario game.
3. The 3D effect would be a perfect fit.

How bout just Wario Land 5

Halfmunch

Not sure 3DS needs life breathing yet... Especially in Japan.

01./01. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥5.980) - 307.714 / 1.456.601 (-73%)

But, some more great JRPGs, Captain Toad, And try to squeeze Diablo 3 on there haha

HotHamBoy

Wario Land 5 and F-Zero please.

I am continually baffled at the 3DS fans that seem determined to spite Switch owners and seem to want it to fail in favor of their ailing system. The 3DS was bad hardware when it was released! Why wouldn't you want your games to be played on better hardware? Because honestly, it's library is what made the 3DS great in spite of itself.

Now, maybe you don't have a Switch. So then the games you want trapped on the 3DS will be waiting for you when you do get one. And if you're never going to buy a Switch, then really, why should Nintendo support you?

Really, the only thing the 3DS offers over the Switch, besides its library, is the 3D (barely relevant at best, and nonexistent for 2DS owners) and its dual screens. Now if Nintendo wants to create some interesting dual-screen usage games, then yes, the 3DS makes sense. Something like a Hotel Dusk or the original 999 (even though that has been ported to single screen systems) would absolutely sing on the 3DS and validate its existence.

Small ports done by smaller teams or outsourced teams could also be great. DKC or 3D World were mentioned. If it seems profitable, then sure, why not extract more money from the large base of 3DS owners?

But Nintendo really needs to focus on its future, which is the Switch. I'm not sure why they aren't doing cross-platform ports for upcoming games like SunMoon Ultra and Samus Returns. Maybe they don't have a good pipeline for doing so, which was definitely a mistake.

At this point I'm just doing it to spite you.

Honestly, though, grow up.

Also, I really like the 3D :p

Forward

Fuck the 3ds they should make more games for the switch instead.

The Switch wishes it could get that much low quality physical attention from them.

The 3DS is getting all that sweet, sweet love-making from Nintendo, its fans getting tenderly spooned for the foreseeable future.

All the Switch gets is a couple of intense one-night hate fucks, a few chances at sloppy seconds, and its fans are left holding dual vibrators.

Stay mad Switch fans. Stay mad. It is pro wrestlers advertising Morton's levels of comedy at this point.

Top Bottom