• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is Spielberg's Place Among Directors?

Coppola's peak was insanely good. Arguably as good as any American director sans Kubrick.

Oh I don't disagree with that at all, I meant more in terms of his quality decade in relationship to his broader career. He had a decade where he made 4 of the greatest films of all time in a row and then more or less totally fell off.

wazoo

He had a decade where he made 4 of the greatest films of all time in a row and then more or less totally fell off.

He made the first digital movie (One from the Heart) and it costed so much and flopped so bad, that he was completely broke and worked then as a mercenary.

This movie and Heaven's Gate killed the "New Hollywood" of the 70s.

Farmboy

It's rare for a director as prolific and eclectic as Spielberg is to have so many more hits than misses.

Heck, he has more masterpieces than misses. May have directed more all-time classics, certainly in a wider variety of genres, than even Hitchcock, Kubrick and Scorsese.

Most underrated Spielberg film: War of the Worlds. Runner up: The Lost World.

C4Lukins

I just want to say....

Despite how amazing Spielberg is...

Hook sucks, The Lost World sucks, and 1941 or 42 who gives a shit it sucks.

wazoo

I just want to say....

Great. As I said above. The Worst Hitchcock movies are really bad.

Every great director, if he is profilic, has a few miss.

Farmboy

I just want to say....

Welll, I disagree on TLW. But Always and The Terminal do suck. So does Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, of course. And he's made plenty of decidedly mediocre films as well (Amistad springs to mind).

Still, when you can stack against those six, maybe seven out-and-out bad movies the likes of Jaws, Raiders, Close Encounters, ET, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park and Saving Private Ryan, and still have AI, Minority Report, Lincoln and Last Crusade as spare change... yeah. You're talking about one of the greats.

I'm way late on this, but ole' Stevie is pretty dang good.

As far as popular and mainstream filmmakers go, he's one of the best we've had (like a William Wyler or John Ford), but his technical abilities usually but not always paper over his weaknesses and he's certainly made his share of clunkers (The Terminal is friggin terrible).

also, Bridge of Spies is way underrated. Great flick, best of its year? Not by a long shot, but still pretty dang good.

C4Lukins

I'm way late on this, but ole' Stevie is pretty dang good.

As far as popular and mainstream filmmakers go, he's one of the best we've had (like a William Wyler or John Ford), but his technical abilities usually but not always paper over his weaknesses and he's certainly made his share of clunkers (The Terminal is friggin terrible).

also, Bridge of Spies is way underrated. Great flick, best of its year? Not by a long shot, but still pretty dang good.

My biggest problem with Spielberg, is that he has not chosen compelling films over the past decade.

He is still a comment director, but his projects are not....

Top Bottom