• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best sports game on the NES?

For me, it's Blades of Steel:

bladessteel.jpg

With the pass!

What do you think?

I clicked on the thread to say this haha, funnest game ever when me and my brother were kids.

friz898

Double Dribble

Tecmo Bowl

Super Baseball Simulator 1000 (I know I know, I was the only one who played this game.)

Tennis

Still my favorite tennis game ever. So simple, so genial. Great physical system based on the timing of the hit; I'm surprised Nintendo never recycled it.

orion434

Baseball Stars, I'd recruit an entire team of rookies with the max 90 stat and they would eventually become a super-powered team! The Lovely Ladies!!!

I am a huge proponent of Baseball Simulator 1.000. Not the crazy aspects of it with the power-ups, etc. but just the regular baseball game. It was a great-playing game with good stat-tracking for its time. The different stadiums with different dimensions were fun as well. It's definitely my favorite NES sports game.

Tough four-way tie for me between EA's Kings of the Beach, Technos Japan's Super Dodge Ball and Super Spike V'ball and, Ninty's Ice Hockey. Personally, I'll go with Kings of the Beach.

ThEoRy...

Excellent choices here which I totally agree with. Yet I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Konami's Track and Field 2 unless I missed it. Many a good times were had playing that one with friends.

friz898

Wow.

I'm really suprised how many people played Baseball Simulator 1000.

I also played a ton of the SNES sequel. Unfortunately the third one didn't make it over here from Japan.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Baseball Stars - its team editing was revolutionary back in the day.

Captain Tsubasa 2 - I don't particularly care for soccer but boy do I love my turn-based RPGs!

Super Dodge Ball - suffers from heavy flicker but it's such a unique game

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
If you consider 'Punch Out!' a sports game and it isn't on the top of your list...You aren't playing with power!

Zee-Row

Banned
WTF is the digital voice saying when you pass the puck in Blades or Steel? Is it "Hit the puck"or "Hit the pass"?

Punch-Out!!
Baseball Stars
Blades of Steel
Super Dodge Ball

There is almost zero old-game jank found in these titles. They are timeless.

Claneko

I really liked:

Base Wars (So fun and crazy. I'm out? Bullshit, I'll tear you apart!)
Ice Hockey (Nostaligia)
Tecmo Bowl
Double Dribble (Nostalgia again, I bet)
Dodgeball (If only it didn't flicker so much.)

I can't say I disagree with anyone's selection so far. Especially World Cup Soccer.

For me, it was :

49005-bad-news-baseball-nes-screenshot-homerun-celebrations.gif

Bad News Baseball. As a youf this was the NES game I'd always rent. Something about the cut-scenes, the ridiculous rabbit-in-a-hot-tub music, and putting your Catcher at Centre-field and watching him get knocked out by a fly-ball...

bigace33

Tecmo Super Bowl. Probably the most fun I had with a sports game ever. Blades of Steel is a good choice though. Let's not forget Hoops either.

Nessus

Nice thing about Ice Hockey was that the goalie didn't automatically do saves, so it actually felt like there was some skill involved and there was a real threat if you were caught off guard.

Outside of Pro Wrestling and Tecmo Bowl, I didn't do much sports gaming back in the NES days. Others that come to mind are:

220px-NES_Play_Action_Football_Cover.jpg

I remember renting it one weekend and me and my brother playing the shit out of it

also:

587168_80817_front.jpg

Fuckin hacky sack.

Top Bottom