• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the greatest segment in wrestling television history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

I know there’s been a lot of wrestling threads in OT lately, but bear with me here. I think this thread is relevant given the historic event that was last night’s Monday Night Raw.

8v4kQ14.jpg

“I thought it was the best segment in the history of television wrestling”
is how respected wrestling journalist and living, breathing wrestling encyclopedia Dave Meltzer described last night’s Daniel Bryan Retirement Speech. Meltzer has literally seen it all, so for him of all people to describe the segment in that way, it must have been really special. And it was. For anyone who missed it, you can watch the full segment here.

However, as emotional and memorable as last night's speech was, I personally would have to disagree with the Meltz. While I would rank it as the #1 retirement speech in wrestling history (above such legendary company such as Ric Flair, Edge, and Shawn Michaels losing his smile), and probably somewhere in the top 5 moments in TV wrestling history, for the GREATEST moment, we’d have to go back to January 4th, 1999.

i65DyNm.jpg

Allow me to briefly paint a picture here. In 1999, wrestling ruled the fucking world. Between WWF and WCW, wrestling programming would regularly bring in 10 million viewers every Monday, which is insane to think about 17 years later. In June of 1998, Undertaker threw Mankind off a fucking cage and through a table. This would become possibly the most replayed moment in wrestling history, and Mick Foley would instantly become a fan favorite, despite not fitting the traditional physical mold of a top level pro wrestler. His crowd reactions were second to only one man…

QoucQ2i.gif

A large part of Austin’s success was thanks to the diabolical Mr. McMahon, the greatest villain in pro wrestling history and the ultimate foil to Stone Cold. In November of 1998, McMahon and his stable, The Corporation, had managed to recruit the next biggest wrestler on the roster after Foley and Austin: The Rock. Thanks to McMahon, Mankind was screwed out of the title in his match against The Rock at Survivor Series 1998, and the People’s Champ became the Corporate Champ. The Corporation would continue to run roughshod over the WWF; Rock would use the influence of the boss and goons like Big Bossman and Ken Shamrock to keep the WWF title around his waist, often through nefarious means.

Finally, let's enter Raw, which was pre-recorded and going up against a live Nitro. About an hour into the show, Mankind had a match against Triple H. Winner would get a spot in the 1999 Royal Rumble… but the guest referee would be Shane McMahon, a member of The Corporation. Predictably, Triple H would win the match thanks to an extremely fast count by Shane. Mankind was once again SCREWED by The Corporation. Enraged, Foley would take Shane hostage in the middle of the ring. Stretching Shane and threatening to break his shoulder, Vince is forced to book a championship match between Foley and The Rock. No disqualification. To even up the odds against Vince’s Corporation stable, who would stand ringside in the Rock’s corner, Mankind managed to recruit the most over stable in the WWF, D-Generation X, led by Triple H, the fourth most over performer on the roster, and the New Age Outlaws, the biggest tag team at the time. For once, the playing field was even. A WWF title match, on Raw, between the two biggest stars in the company… besides Stone Cold Steve Austin, who was conspicuously absent for the entire show.

The two would have a great match, as expected from these two pros. About 10 minutes into the match, Mankind would lock in his finishing move, the Mandible Claw with Mr. Socko. However, Ken Shamrock would break the submission with a chair shot to Foley’s back. Billy Gunn would run in and get Shamrock out of the ring, as they battled onto the floor.

AND THEN THAT MOTHER FUCKING GLASS SHATTERS

GOD DAMN SON IT’S STONE COLD

THE CROWD POPS LOUDER THAN IT HAS EVER POPPED BEFORE

AUSTIN RUNS IN, CHAIR SHOT TO THE FUCKING HEAD OF THE ROCK

FOLEY GETS THE COVER. 1... 2….

3! FOLEY IS THE NEW CHAMPION!

Crowd is losing its shit. Michael Cole, with Jim Ross in his ear, is selling this like it’s the greatest thing that has ever happened on planet Earth. Heel Jerry Lawler is in prime form, disgusted that FOLEY of all people is the new world champion. Vince’s facials are incredible. “Not him! Anyone but him!” Austin throws his baseball cap at that son bitch. YOU TRASH. Vince is PISSED. “You son of a bitch!” Rock sells like he doesn’t know where he is, unable to even walk without the assistance of The Corporation. Austin walks out, flipping the double bird, and allows Mankind to have his moment.

SdXAbeR.jpg

This is the ultimate payoff for an underdog character. Nothing in wrestling would come close until 15 years later, when Daniel Bryan would win the title at Wrestlemania 30. The crowd wanted nothing more than Mankind getting his revenge against Vince, Rock and The Corporation. And, as always, seeing Austin be a bad ass, raise some hell, beat the shit out of someone and make Mr. McMahon look foolish. They got it, and judging by their reaction, they loved it!

As mentioned, Nitro was live going up against a taped Raw. Nitro would often give away the results of taped Raws on air in an attempt to keep viewers on Nitro, and this night would be the most famous and well remembered example of this. “That's gonna put some butts in the seats”. Well… it did. Foley was gonna win the title? Nitro viewers weren’t turned off by that! Most of them turned over to USA to see how the events unfolded, and were delighted by the greatest segment in TV wrestling history. Meanwhile, Nitro ended with the fingerpoke of doom, arguably the WORST moment in TV wrestling history.

So, to sum things up:

1. You have the payoff to a hot storyline that dates back months between the current champion and the underdog #1 contender that got screwed by said champion.

2. A show long storyline that would establish the title match halfway through the show, and put in stipulations that would almost certainly result in a clean finish.

3. A match between the second and third biggest stars in the company, with the biggest heel and his faction on the outside of the ring, along with the most over babyface faction in the company on the other side. Finally, the biggest star in wrestling would get involved at the end.

4. THE BIGGEST POP IN WRESTLING HISTORY

5. This moment killed WCW. That night, Raw did a 5.7 rating and Nitro did a 4.9. Wrestling ruled the world that night, but it was all downhill from there for WCW, and just over two years later they would be bought by Vince McMahon.

Sorry Mr. Meltzer, the Bryan retirement was great, but I’m not sure if the main event of the January 4th, 1999 Raw will ever be topped.

Watch the entire 15 minute segment here. Coincidentally, Stone Cold recently presented a scientific breakdown of the entire main event that night, providing an awesome insight into the behind the scenes of such a segment and the psychology involved with what I believe it ultimately the greatest segment in TV wrestling history. Watch that here, it's fantastic.

What does GAF think? Do you agree that Bryan’s retirement speech was the greatest moment in TV wrestling history? What is your greatest/favorite TV wrestling moment?

Syder

The DB retirement left me in tears but I think people are calling it the greatest/most emotional segment/retirement in history just because it was so recent. Edge's was definitely on a similar level. Flair's retirement has sort of had the shine taken off of it in the following years because he kept wrestling and is still prominently featured in the business.

I don't know what the greatest or most iconic Wrestling segment is but I think it'd be a shame if it was something that occurred outside of a match. So probably Foley going off the cage or the Montreal Screwjob.

Also, if you think DB's retirement will never be surpassed wait until The Undertaker retires...

Ithil

The DB retirement left me in tears but I think people are calling it the greatest/most emotional segment/retirement in history just because it was so recent. Edge's was definitely on a similar level. Flair's retirement has sort of had the shine taken off of it in the following years because he kept wrestling and is still prominently featured in the business.

I don't know what the greatest or most iconic Wrestling segment is but I think it'd be a shame if it was something that occurred outside of a match. So probably Foley going off the cage or the Montreal Screwjob.

Also, if you think DB's retirement will never be surpassed wait until The Undertaker retires...

Neither of those were TV segments.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I bring this one up from time to time, and it's from a dark period in wrestling, and features a retiree versus someone not known for his wrestling skills but Jerry the King Lawler facing The Miz for the Heavyweight Championship on RAW is quite possibly the best moment in RAW history.

Jerry is one of the best ever at working a crowd. Miz was crazy over as a bad guy who didn't deserve the title. Jerry has never won the WWF/WWE title, hell, he's rarely ever competed for it! King out of nowhere asks for a match with the champion on his 61st birthday, has a competitive match with someone half his age, and...well, you'll just have to watch it yourself.

Too bad this match isn't on the network yet.

nWo 4 Life!

I'll never forget the first time they brought out that black spraypaint and tagged someone's back. Also spraypainting the Title belt as well. Being a kid I thought that was the most badass shit ever.

The 2nd biggest memory I'll always have is Foley getting thrown off the top of the cell. I was watching live on TV and I was left speechless. God Damn that was insane.

Khrno

The simple fact that Bryan (and Edge) had to retire in such emotional way due to their injuries, will automatically top any retirement due to just being old.

Of course Taker's retirement could very eell be a 3 month program, spanning several Raws, the HoF and WM, and it will be the greatest retirement program of a wrestler ever, however the feeling of not being able to continue because I might due in my next match won't be there, and Taker will be like, I'm just too tired to keep training every winter.

stn

I can tell you what the worst moment ever was: Goldberg v. Brock. I was soooooooo hype as a kid to watch the match, ended up going to a movie theater showing of that PPV with some friends. At that point I didn't even watch wrestling but heard about the match and thought it was too good to miss. It was easily the worst match EVER. Lost interest in wrestling completely right after that.

Tagyhag

You already covered the best one OP.

So I'll choose the best promo, with the best one liner in the history of wrestling.

"So that you will know, Hoke Hogan, who is… the chosen one. FOR HOKE HOGAN, I am not the chosen one that you speak of. I am not. I, Hoke Hogan, am the only one."

I still love that at 7-10 years old, my hero was a beer guzzling redneck named Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Such good memories.

(I'm assuming "wrestling television" includes the PPVs:)

The Streak ending. Nothing comes close in terms of shocking everyone watching.

#2 would be the Montreal Screwjob. Surreal and the most important moment in wrestling history.

nasax

I was a fucking bug Sting fan so when the Crow Sting appeared and he made it seem like he was part of the NWO which lead up to him beating them up. That shit was great for me.

Robot Pants

Honestly yea. What you described OP I think was the best too. Was gonna post it.
I wasn't a huge wrestling fan, well not for very long anyway, but the era of the rock, stone cold, McMahon, and mankind was just the best.

I'd probably have to say the beginning of the invasion (when Shane announced he'd bought WCW). I know they managed to screw it up spectacularly but for one brief moment it was every wrestling fan's dream come true.

Chuckie

I haven't watched wrestling for ages (although I do love all the gifs on Gaf..and that AJ girl) but I see The Undertaker mentioned.

Is that the actual same Undertaker as the one I watched as a kid in the early nineties? If so...Goddayum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom