• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the greatest segment in wrestling television history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lupin23rd

I haven't watched wrestling for ages (although I do love all the gifs on Gaf..and that AJ girl) but I see The Undertaker mentioned.

Is that the actual same Undertaker as the one I watched as a kid in the early nineties? If so...Goddayum.

Yup, that's the same Undertaker. I pulled out a copy of WWF Royal Rumble on SNES a couple weeks back and it's crazy to see him on the cover of that, not to mention he's in an NES game as well.

Macho tied up in the ropes getting chomped by that fucking snake.

tumblr_no3t7aSpbJ1sdqajoo1_400.gif

lol I remember this getting censored on UK TV at the time.

Best moment I remember clearly was the first ever TLC match. Though the TLC II they did maybe a year later was just as good.

Hasney

Kinda fucked up that jericho got buried hard by the no 2 most over guy on his first day.

Memorable nonetheless.

It was hardly buried, in the land of unscriptedness, it was great to put him out with the number one guy on the microphone WWF had. Jericho even cost Rock his match later in the night.

Doc_Drop

I know there’s been a lot of wrestling threads in OT lately, but bear with me here. I think this thread is relevant given the historic event that was last night’s Monday Night Raw.

8v4kQ14.jpg

“I thought it was the best segment in the history of television wrestling”
is how respected wrestling journalist and living, breathing wrestling encyclopedia Dave Meltzer described last night’s Daniel Bryan Retirement Speech. Meltzer has literally seen it all, so for him of all people to describe the segment in that way, it must have been really special. And it was. For anyone who missed it, you can watch the full segment here.

However, as emotional and memorable as last night's speech was, I personally would have to disagree with the Meltz. While I would rank it as the #1 retirement speech in wrestling history (above such legendary company such as Ric Flair, Edge, and Shawn Michaels losing his smile), and probably somewhere in the top 5 moments in TV wrestling history, for the GREATEST moment, we’d have to go back to January 4th, 1999.

i65DyNm.jpg

Allow me to briefly paint a picture here. In 1999, wrestling ruled the fucking world. Between WWF and WCW, wrestling programming would regularly bring in 10 million viewers every Monday, which is insane to think about 17 years later. In June of 1998, Undertaker threw Mankind off a fucking cage and through a table. This would become possibly the most replayed moment in wrestling history, and Mick Foley would instantly become a fan favorite, despite not fitting the traditional physical mold of a top level pro wrestler. His crowd reactions were second to only one man…

QoucQ2i.gif

A large part of Austin’s success was thanks to the diabolical Mr. McMahon, the greatest villain in pro wrestling history and the ultimate foil to Stone Cold. In November of 1998, McMahon and his stable, The Corporation, had managed to recruit the next biggest wrestler on the roster after Foley and Austin: The Rock. Thanks to McMahon, Mankind was screwed out of the title in his match against The Rock at Survivor Series 1998, and the People’s Champ became the Corporate Champ. The Corporation would continue to run roughshod over the WWF; Rock would use the influence of the boss and goons like Big Bossman and Ken Shamrock to keep the WWF title around his waist, often through nefarious means.

Finally, let's enter Raw, which was pre-recorded and going up against a live Nitro. About an hour into the show, Mankind had a match against Triple H. Winner would get a spot in the 1999 Royal Rumble… but the guest referee would be Shane McMahon, a member of The Corporation. Predictably, Triple H would win the match thanks to an extremely fast count by Shane. Mankind was once again SCREWED by The Corporation. Enraged, Foley would take Shane hostage in the middle of the ring. Stretching Shane and threatening to break his shoulder, Vince is forced to book a championship match between Foley and The Rock. No disqualification. To even up the odds against Vince’s Corporation stable, who would stand ringside in the Rock’s corner, Mankind managed to recruit the most over stable in the WWF, D-Generation X, led by Triple H, the fourth most over performer on the roster, and the New Age Outlaws, the biggest tag team at the time. For once, the playing field was even. A WWF title match, on Raw, between the two biggest stars in the company… besides Stone Cold Steve Austin, who was conspicuously absent for the entire show.

The two would have a great match, as expected from these two pros. About 10 minutes into the match, Mankind would lock in his finishing move, the Mandible Claw with Mr. Socko. However, Ken Shamrock would break the submission with a chair shot to Foley’s back. Billy Gunn would run in and get Shamrock out of the ring, as they battled onto the floor.

AND THEN THAT MOTHER FUCKING GLASS SHATTERS

GOD DAMN SON IT’S STONE COLD

THE CROWD POPS LOUDER THAN IT HAS EVER POPPED BEFORE

AUSTIN RUNS IN, CHAIR SHOT TO THE FUCKING HEAD OF THE ROCK

FOLEY GETS THE COVER. 1... 2….

3! FOLEY IS THE NEW CHAMPION!

Crowd is losing its shit. Michael Cole, with Jim Ross in his ear, is selling this like it’s the greatest thing that has ever happened on planet Earth. Heel Jerry Lawler is in prime form, disgusted that FOLEY of all people is the new world champion. Vince’s facials are incredible. “Not him! Anyone but him!” Austin throws his baseball cap at that son bitch. YOU TRASH. Vince is PISSED. “You son of a bitch!” Rock sells like he doesn’t know where he is, unable to even walk without the assistance of The Corporation. Austin walks out, flipping the double bird, and allows Mankind to have his moment.

SdXAbeR.jpg

This is the ultimate payoff for an underdog character. Nothing in wrestling would come close until 15 years later, when Daniel Bryan would win the title at Wrestlemania 30. The crowd wanted nothing more than Mankind getting his revenge against Vince, Rock and The Corporation. And, as always, seeing Austin be a bad ass, raise some hell, beat the shit out of someone and make Mr. McMahon look foolish. They got it, and judging by their reaction, they loved it!

As mentioned, Nitro was live going up against a taped Raw. Nitro would often give away the results of taped Raws on air in an attempt to keep viewers on Nitro, and this night would be the most famous and well remembered example of this. “That's gonna put some butts in the seats”. Well… it did. Foley was gonna win the title? Nitro viewers weren’t turned off by that! Most of them turned over to USA to see how the events unfolded, and were delighted by the greatest segment in TV wrestling history. Meanwhile, Nitro ended with the fingerpoke of doom, arguably the WORST moment in TV wrestling history.

So, to sum things up:

1. You have the payoff to a hot storyline that dates back months between the current champion and the underdog #1 contender that got screwed by said champion.

2. A show long storyline that would establish the title match halfway through the show, and put in stipulations that would almost certainly result in a clean finish.

3. A match between the second and third biggest stars in the company, with the biggest heel and his faction on the outside of the ring, along with the most over babyface faction in the company on the other side. Finally, the biggest star in wrestling would get involved at the end.

4. THE BIGGEST POP IN WRESTLING HISTORY

5. This moment killed WCW. That night, Raw did a 5.7 rating and Nitro did a 4.9. Wrestling ruled the world that night, but it was all downhill from there for WCW, and just over two years later they would be bought by Vince McMahon.

Sorry Mr. Meltzer, the Bryan retirement was great, but I’m not sure if the main event of the January 4th, 1999 Raw will ever be topped.

Watch the entire 15 minute segment here. Coincidentally, Stone Cold recently presented a scientific breakdown of the entire main event that night, providing an awesome insight into the behind the scenes of such a segment and the psychology involved with what I believe it ultimately the greatest segment in TV wrestling history. Watch that here, it's fantastic.

What does GAF think? Do you agree that Bryan’s retirement speech was the greatest moment in TV wrestling history? What is your greatest/favorite TV wrestling moment?

Genuine chills reading through this and remembering it all over again. Cheers

It was the greatest time I wrestling, I have struggled to keep interested after that era

5 Macho king top rope elbow drops in a row... KICK OUT warrior spear pins macho king.. queen sheri starts slapping the shit out of macho... elisabeth runs out of the crowd and bitch slaps sheri..macho king lifts her on his shoulders retired:(

Outside of already stated choices The Rock Concert is a personal favourite of mine.
The pinnacle of Hollywood Heel Rock followed by a good ol' Austin/Rock punch up, like a neat little encapsulation of WWE Raw.

nillah

Banned
Booker T and John Cena fought off at Summer Slam in the mid 2000s shit lasted for a week or something (feud lasted beyond the ppv event) and half the battles weren't even in the ring. Where's wras'lin GAF to back me up on this because I'm probably wrong but that series of fights you wouldn't see in tomorrow's arena

Kaiterra

Banned
OP gets it in one but that Macho Man snake bite was really something too.

I don't think PPV events count or else I'd have to go with the end of Wrestlemania 30 with Daniel Bryan standing tall.

Not really one of the greatest of all time, but one of my faves of the past few years was Vickie Guerrero owning Stephanie McMahon in their mud match on her way out the door. One of the few times Steph's shitty character has ever gotten anything resembling comeuppance and a nice way to send off one of the actual best heel characters of the past decade in a way that got the fans to give her a warm goodbye.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
It will always be Mick Foley winning the championship on raw for me. If we're including PPVs, Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart at WM 13. I feel like the greatest segment in wrestling tv history really should involve wrestling.

As someone who has been watching for almost 30 years:

- Bobby heenan telling monsoon and neidhart that the "real worlds champion" would be coming to the wwf
- JEALOUS EYES
- Rick Rude asking random woman to kiss him, random woman is Jake Robert's wife
- Heyman telling people that they had forgotten the tribe of extreme on raw, heralding their entry into the invasion (the entire angle was sunk 30 mins later ironically)
- "It's me austin, it was me all along"
- Shane mcmahon simulcast on nitro
- Scott Steiner
- HBK trolling Montreal with hogan/hart entrances
- Mark Henry "retiring". HE HAD A LOT LEFT IN THE TANK

are my faves

Lothar

Banned
Mankind winning the title
Jericho's Debut
Shawn Michael's heel promo on Montreal in 2005
Daniel Bryan winning the title
Paul Heyman ranting on Vince McMahon in 2001

Lothar

Banned
Its me Austin! Is still the greatest moment IMO.

Is this serious? That was a horrible wrestling moment that disappointed everybody on the internet when it happened. Everybody was expecting a huge surprise like Jake the Snake or somebody like that and it was just Vince again. That was lousy.

Since the Mick Foley/Rock match has already been mentioned, I'm going with the end of the Y2J/HHH impromptu WWF championship match on Raw back in 2000. I remember reading in one of Jericho's books that he was ready to quit the WWF that night because despite being white hot at the time, he wasn't getting the championship push he thought he deserved. When he was on his way to give Vince and creative a piece of his mind, someone pulled him to the side and said "You're winning the WWF Championship tonight".

It may have not counted, but I've seen few Raw moments where the crowd collectively lost their shit like this since the Foley win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMFyeoVmqcg

My top 5 segments

1. Foley/Rock
2. Y2J/HHH
3. Sting coming back to destroy the NWO
4. HHH returning from his quad injury
5. Goldberg beating Hogan for the WCW title

The op fucking nailed it i still rewatch that match I mean for fucks sake you can't even hear Austin's music that crowd lost there fucking minds (as did I as a 9 year old) single Handley the greatest moment in the attitude Era

Reading the OP makes me nostalgic as fuck. Like it takes me back to the days of the AKI wrestlers on N64 like No Mercy where those kinds of stories would play out. The Attitude Era >>>

This Paul Heyman promo from last year.

It's the best promo I've ever seen.

"It's about time you did something right."

OOOO NOTHIN! DON'T GIVE ME AN OOOO!! I'LL TELL YOU AN OOO! HERE'S AN OOO FROM ME!

YEAH I LEFT OUT ANDRE BECAUSE HE'S DEAD, STUPID!!!

YOU'RE GOING TO BE CONQUERED! CONQUERED! CONQUERED....by BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOCKKKK LESSSSSSSSSSSNARRRRRRRRRR!!!! BELIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE THAT!

*mic throw*

The promo that Ric Flair cuts after winning the 1992 Royal Rumble is up there for me. One of the best wrestling promos ever, and also the significance of what Flair says, particularly how he trashes his rich wrestling history in NWA & WCW by saying that winning the WWF title is the greatest moment of his life.

Hogan joining NWO, even though I was in on the stage performance that was wrestling, was amazing... It seriously shocked me and I couldn't believe it.

Mic Foley winning the strap on RAW was great.

Hogan slamming Andre, going for the leg drop, and getting the pin was also great... Even though we're all supposed to hate hogan from the late 80s/early 90s and on, at the time it was a great moment.

Ultimate Warrior beating Hogan when basically you never thought Hogan would lose a prominent match.

Shawn Michaels super kicking Janetty and throwing him through the barbershop window is something that legit shook me as a kid. I had only recently gotten into wrestling and had never really seen a swerve like that. It's a shame that Jannetty's career fell apart because we never got to see the right culmination of what should have been a real feud and propelled both guys. As a kid I felt injustice that Jannetty never got revenge, but I later came to understand why.

For minor moments that I loved, I really loved the ridiculous Razor Ramon vs. The Kid match on RAW because it made it seem like an upstart jobber that you always rooted for against the Heels could actually beat a prominent heel. Prior to beating Ramon, Waltman had been a jobber and lost to mid-card heels. It's an example of something that WWE doesn't really do enough of lately, which is having a more powerful guy lose to someone and then that ends up making both guys stronger and gives them a bigger push. 1-2-3 Kid would go onto lose at SummerSlam, but then win at Survivor Series, win the Tag Team titles a month later, and then even get a WWF Championship match with Hart shortly after that. Meanwhile, Ramon would go onto have a very successful Intercontinental Title run and have one of the most iconic matches at Wrestlemania the following year in the ladder match. 1-2-3 Kid's win over Ramon doesn't stack up at all to any of the others, but it was something that made me love wrestling as a kid.

I havent seen wrestling in so long. But that mankind/HHH/the rock/stone cold feud was amazing. that is the only thing that comes to mind.

What makes Stone Cold's appearance even better in the OP is that he had been off TV for weeks had he not?

Recall he was injured at the time and nobody expected him?

FStop7

Banned
The Montreal Screwjob because we will never, ever know for certain if it was a work or a shoot. It's the concept of wrestling as both competition and drama taken to the limit.

Regardless if the Screwjob was a work or a shoot, it could not have gone any better. It freed Bret Hart while letting him save face and put him over in an incredible way. It created Mr. McMahon and generated an equally incredible amount of heat for Vince. It made Vince a star and opened the door for the Attitude Era and everything since.

b834097a3d20760afa0f3c5fd4aa3a6b.gif

Really, while that whole segment is awesome, it's probably Shane buying WCW. It was fucking insane at the time.

Edit: While not the greatest, my most memorable is the Ultimate Warrior getting locked in the casket during the Funeral Parlor. Shit traumatized me as a kid. I still hate the Undertaker.

That was a great moment OP, but you crazy if you think number 2 behind Austin was Foley. I even hesitate to say Austin was alone at #1. Taker would get just as big of pops as him. Foley was closer to Kane/Big Show/Triple H (at the time), while the top 3 were easily Austin, The Rock, and Taker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom